Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themonkfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I need help! I'm trying to capture video footage from my xbox360 into iMovie for editing. I'm using a 1ghz Aluminium Powerbook and a Miglia Directors Cut. I can succesfully capture footage from my Playstation 2 but the problems begin when i try to the same with my 360.

I connect my 360 to the Directors Cut via a composite lead, then the Directors Cut connects to my Powerbook via a Firewire cable. The first time I tried this I just got a 'camera playing' message which is quite a common event whenever I've use my Directors Cut, but usually simply turning the device off then on again gets the video to come through, however this technique failed in this case. I then hooked the 360 back into the tv and changed the 360's display settings to 50hz... upon reconecting the leads to the Directors Cut the 360 menu instantly appeared on the iMovie screen, however... on the 360, games only run at 60hz not 50hz so unless I plan on recording hours of menu screens I was still still. After some more experimenting I realised that the video cuts out whenever I change the 360 display to 60hz.

Does anyone know how i can make iMovie accept the 60hz footage? Would changing to iMovie HD make any difference? I also have also tried to capture the footage into Final Cut Pro but encountered the same problem.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
That's a tricky one :)

Does the Director's Cut device definitely support 60Hz? I'd imagine it would, but no harm double-checking.

I've not used iMovie for a while, but I believe there's an option in Preferences to set the video format for new projects. It would be interesting to see what happens when that's set to NTSC rather than PAL (NTSC runs at 60Hz). I've got a feeling that setting might only affect the output of iMovie, but you never know! Bear in mind that the setting only takes effect when you start a new project.

Good luck!

themonkfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Ahh thanks I'll try that. I had looked to see if the Directors Cut supports 60hz but couldn't see anything that mentioned it. Do you know of any other capture devices that definatley support 60hz?

themonkfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Turns out that no capture cards support PAL 60hz! My only options left are to:

1) Convert the 360 signal to NTSC then import it. The only way I've found to do this is via a PAL to NTSC converter which are avalible on ebay, but many of these come from Hong Kong and all look a bit dodgy if you know what I mean. Plus it likey that these won't support PAL 60 either.

2) Import the 360 video in HD. However I've no idea which is the best way to go about this as I'm yet to see a HD capture device. I was wondering if its possible to play video through the mac via one of the DVI sockets as I could use a HDVI to DVI lead to attatch the 360 directly into the mac. I could be completly of the mark here but I'm just trying to persue all avenues. If anyone knows any sure fire way to capture HD footage I would be very greatful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.