Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today the expansion of iTunes Plus to 2 million songs including artists from Sub Pop, Nettwerk, Beggars Group, IODA, The Orchard and many others, along with EMI’s digital catalog.

The announcement comes after Apple began lowering prices of its DRM-free songs to $.99, down from $1.29. Arstechnica had reported at the time that Apple was in the midst of expanding its catalog to include indie artists as well as EMI.

Raw Data: Apple Press Release

Article Link

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I've never really used iTunes music store for much more than sampling songs that I may like, or finding out the names of songs stuck in my head. I rip all my music in Apple Lossless.... I don't even like the degradation in 256k encoding... I'll wait till they start selling Lossless music at 1.29 :D

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Well that's great news! I'll definitely be buying more music from iTunes now. For me, the indie labels get most of my money, so this seals the deal, but for worldwide domination, more major labels are going to have to jump on.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I've never really used iTunes music store for much more than sampling songs that I may like, or finding out the names of songs stuck in my head. I rip all my music in Apple Lossless.... I don't even like the degradation in 256k encoding... I'll wait till they start selling Lossless music at 1.29 :D

Don't get your hopes up.

This is great. I hope that the other companies will pick up on this and understand that this is what people want.

P-Worm

Kitrik

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
Minnesota
Finally! Apple was starting to get shown up by Amazon... Since AAC > MP3 I will continue to stick with Apple. Now they just need to get Universal and Warner to sign on and world domination will be at hand!

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
Must get more memory... feeling urge to buy more... trying to resist...;)

Really glad to hear this. More selections is always a plus.

Go :apple:

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
so - will it still cost to enhance my previously bought itunes to itunes plus versions, now that they're the same price? i guess it will

but definately a good thing - i was waiting until next year when i get a bonus from work before upgrading all my tracks to itunes plus quality

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Don't get your hopes up.

P-Worm

In the near future, you're probably right, but Beatport sells WAV's for an extra $1 (for bandwith). I don't think it is totally unreasonable that Apple offer Apple Lossless for a premium... maybe $1.49 or so. Someday. Maybe.

Anyway, I agree with the above poster... I've given up lossy music too. More and more people are, so I think eventually (probably at least a few years) iTMS will have to respond to the demand for lossless files. Someday. Maybe.

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
Now they just need to get Universal and Warner to sign on and world domination will be at hand!

But that's what THEY want as well...:eek:

Hmmm...we may at last get the answer to the question of what happens when the immovable object is struck by the unstoppable force...

'That's no moon...it's the iTunes music store.'

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003

Do you hear dog whistles also? I can't tell the difference between 160 and 128 and that is with using noise cancelling in-ear buds. I wonder if your sense of 256 is psychosomatic, that you think you hear a difference.

I'm not calling you crazy, just that I would love to see if there is a research paper out there that determines what the human ear can really differeniate between.

It's kind of like when a new OS X update comes through the pipelines and people say they think Safari is snappier, at least those who aren't joking around now that that has become the catch phrase with "PowerBook G5's coming out this Tuesday".

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Any way to upgrade old purchases at no cost like you could for .30 before?

I was wondering what the deal with that is going to be, too. I just checked the "iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions" via iTunes, and it still lists iTunes plus songs as $1.29 along with the old upgrade prices. So I guess we'll see when they update that document if they change the update policy/pricing too.

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
You guys really shouldn't be giving Apple all the credit. If it wasn't for Amazon selling DRM free music for .89cents Apple would have never lowered the price from 1.29. Its funny because it took Apple less than 1month to lower its price after Amazon annoucned it enetered into the music business and its pricing model. Amazon is cheaper and we owe it to them for really setting the standards.

Hopstretch

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
I was wondering what the deal with that is going to be, too. I just checked the "iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions" via iTunes, and it still lists iTunes plus songs as $1.29 along with the old upgrade prices. So I guess we'll see when they update that document if they change the update policy/pricing too.
Right now, iTunes still asks you to pay to upgrade if you try. Can't see that lasting. Think I'll wait.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
This is a step in the right direction for Apple. Competition is always good, as long as Apple stays on top :)

Now maybe it's time to redeem some iTunes gift cards I have lying around here.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You guys really shouldn't be giving Apple all the credit. If it wasn't for Amazon selling DRM free music for .89cents Apple would have never lowered the price from 1.29. Its funny because it took Apple less than 1month to lower its price after Amazon annoucned it enetered into the music business and its pricing model. Amazon is cheaper and we owe it to them for really setting the standards.

That's a fair point. I've actually yet to try using the Amazon service, which is something I've been meaning to do.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
I Am Going To Sue Apple Over This!!!

WHA??? Apple dropping prices? NEVARRRRR!!!

I just spent $599 on "iTunes+" tracks, and now Apple drops the price! That amounts to me over-paying Apple $180!!!

I am going to sue Apple for.... Two BEEEEELYUN Dollars!!!

:)

</ just kidding>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.