PDA

View Full Version : Regent Street, London

Blue Velvet
Oct 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
I will probably be there at 4pm or so... although that depends on some other factors out of my control. Anyone else planning to be there next Friday?

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'll hopefully be going to London for one of the stores. Either Regent Street or Kingston (because I know a Mac Genius there), I haven't made my mind up yet though.

netdog
Oct 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
Missed this thread. I'll be there.

Applespider
Oct 17, 2007, 04:54 PM
Probably. I'm not buying Leopard since I'm going to pick up a shiny new iMac I think.

But since I've been planning on meeting up with another Mac pal for a while, Leopard night seems like a good one to do so... (we did the same on Tiger night) so I'll be at Regent St. :D

dcv
Oct 17, 2007, 04:59 PM
Are you all crazy? It's heaving in there at the best of times!

(that's a "maybe" :D)

BBC B 32k
Oct 17, 2007, 05:01 PM
Either in Regent St. on friday night or MacExpo on sat.
Was in Apple Store last monday to get ipod touch but they had sold out. trawled london and got the last one at Micro Anvica :D

Applespider
Oct 17, 2007, 05:06 PM
(that's a "maybe" :D)

But then we can all go to the pub :D

BBC B 32k
Oct 17, 2007, 05:09 PM
pub is good, match bar for cocktails :p

Applespider
Oct 17, 2007, 05:10 PM
match bar for cocktails :p

Have you met dcv or me before? :confused: :D

BBC B 32k
Oct 17, 2007, 05:13 PM
nope, should i be thinking Newcastle Brown Ale in st James Park? :D

dcv
Oct 17, 2007, 05:14 PM
pub is good, match bar for cocktails :p

Have you met dcv or me before? :confused: :D

Whoa, spooky, that's exactly where I was going to suggest! :eek: :D

Shagrat
Oct 18, 2007, 03:11 AM
Will try to get to Regent Street after 5 ish...depends on Work, etc.

PYR0M310N
Oct 18, 2007, 12:45 PM
Should hopefully be there. Finish college at 4 so will probably get in about half 5.

Might buy a macbook or maybe just Leo and save up for a MBP. Not sure yet.

crossifixio
Oct 19, 2007, 03:49 AM
My uni campus is at regent street five minutes away so I will be there very early maybe 1pm or just see when people start to gather. I ordered mine online already but I still want to join the party :D

mcguin2000
Oct 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
I'll be there. Are they closing beofre 6 and re-opening? Do you think there will be a queue.

A fortnight of dreams. Leopard the iPhone!

sananda
Oct 19, 2007, 11:52 AM
will you all be wearing badges or something so i can recognise you? :D

RossoA
Oct 19, 2007, 12:53 PM
I have a few questions, as I will be in London all day and want to be one of the first 500 (i.e. T-Shirt time :D):

1. Do you there will be a long queue?

2. What time should I get there to make sure I'm one of the first?

Thanks

iZaid
Oct 19, 2007, 01:11 PM
is anyone going to the mac expo on friday? or just the apple store, i feel like getting an imac but i dont know if i should.:confused::confused::confused:

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
The earliest I could get there is about 2:30, damned lectures! Don't know if that's too early or too late for any potential cool stuff! How big were the queues for Tiger, does anyone know?

sunfast
Oct 20, 2007, 03:39 AM
I'll be there about 1745 having hurried straight from work. Are they likely to sell out?

Applespider
Oct 20, 2007, 05:05 AM
I really don't recall there being much of a line for Tiger. I think I got into town about quarter to 6 and still got in and picked up my copy of Tiger and a scratchcard within minutes of 6pm.

Jesus
Oct 20, 2007, 10:12 AM
I will most definitely be there, most likely at around 5 ish, hopefully in time to be in the first 500...

Mac-Addict
Oct 20, 2007, 02:58 PM
Ill be there at 3 if possible xD If my mum can take me lol xD (I am like 13 so..)
Someone needs to hold a sign saying "Macrumors forum member here" and we will know who each other are :P

Edit: Ohh yeah Ill be there for definite :D Getting my t-shirt, buying Leopard :)

rdsaunders
Oct 20, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evening from the Welshman!

Looks as though I'll be at the Regent Street store to pick up my copy of leopard and a free T Shirt. I'll also be at MacExpo for the day so if anyone wants to meet up let me know.

Rich

Mac-Addict
Oct 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
We need to make a plan to make sure we know who each other are! Rather then going round asking god knows how any people if their from Macrumors forums xD

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 21, 2007, 05:09 PM
Maybe we should have a secret handshake or wink... could be interesting...

Blue Velvet
Oct 21, 2007, 05:15 PM
If you see a svelte, chic, gorgeous and charismatic woman surrounded by a ton of admirers...

...it won't be me. :p

If I'm there, I shall be wearing black, as all well-dressed OS X releases usually are. ;)

Di9it8
Oct 21, 2007, 11:28 PM
But then we can all go to the pub :D

Or should that be the Leopard Lounge ;-) http://www.leopard-lounge.com/

Anyhow I hope to be there, maybe we should organise a mini flash mob or we should all wear Leopard scarves, bandanas etc ;)

mattsaxuk
Oct 23, 2007, 05:43 PM
Finally decided to register on MR forums just for this! Much of a turnout expected? New comers to the forums welcome in the macrumours party??

Should be there about 5 - is there a handshake or something i should know about?

See you there!

Gondry
Oct 23, 2007, 06:48 PM
Is it confirmed that we get the Leopard before Americans? I know we pay more(!) but I don't want to turn up and find I have to wait around till 6pm USA time.

iPhil
Oct 23, 2007, 06:59 PM
Is it confirmed that we get the Leopard before Americans? I know we pay more(!) but I don't want to turn up and find I have to wait around till 6pm USA time.

it's 6pm local time on friday. 10/26/07

skp574
Oct 24, 2007, 03:19 AM
I'm tossing up between Regent Street and Bluewater. BW is closer for me, but Regent St is the flagship store. The BW has a sign up already stating that it is going to close at 4pm to get ready for the launch at 6. I'm sure that will give enough time for the crowds to gather outside.

I am tempted to pop up to London and make a day of it. Being a trainee teacher I'm on half term at the moment. If the release got pushed back to November I'd have been pretty peeved.

I'll have an Incase back pack on if anyone wants to find me.

Mac-Addict
Oct 24, 2007, 04:42 AM
Theres only 500 t-shirts per store! I am going to try and be there really early! like half 3 early :P

Gondry
Oct 24, 2007, 07:55 AM
it's 6pm local time on friday. 10/26/07

cheers!

dcv
Oct 24, 2007, 08:17 AM
Or should that be the Leopard Lounge ;-) http://www.leopard-lounge.com/

Haha, fantastic suggestion :D

rdsaunders
Oct 24, 2007, 08:23 AM
So whats the plan, are we all going to wear name badges or something or shall I just wave a welsh flag!, of course if I do that in London i'll probably be ambushed...

cardpip
Oct 24, 2007, 12:55 PM
Out of interest, does anyone know anything about a special offer on Macs bought on Friday, because I seem to remember reading that there was a 10% discount on all Macs bought on the day that Tiger was released? Has anyone heard about anything like this?

bmcgrath
Oct 24, 2007, 01:16 PM
I'm gonna be there at 6 I think. I'm flying from Dublin to get to the launch....(not really)
But seeing as I'm in London for the weekend it would be rude not too take a gawk at Leopard :D

cpbrown
Oct 24, 2007, 03:28 PM
going to get there at about 1730; coming to london from uni by train, lectures finish at 4ish, just want to get a tshirt; already ordered lepoard online.
doubt there's going to be a massive queue, and its closed between 4 and 6pm, so 5:30 sounds like a sensible time to me.

how about meet by the computer with macrumors up on the screen?? preferably on the dual 30" ones.

Synchro
Oct 24, 2007, 04:48 PM
I was as the opening of the Regent st store. Got there about 7am for a 10am opening, and there was already a 300m queue!

Not sure that I'll make it this time.

Mac-Addict
Oct 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
going to get there at about 1730; coming to london from uni by train, lectures finish at 4ish, just want to get a tshirt; already ordered lepoard online.
doubt there's going to be a massive queue, and its closed between 4 and 6pm, so 5:30 sounds like a sensible time to me.

how about meet by the computer with macrumors up on the screen?? preferably on the dual 30" ones.

That is actually a good idea make sure people can see the screen :P Somewhere near the top of the stairs.

daa709
Oct 24, 2007, 06:43 PM
How bad do you guys think the queue will be? :confused:

The earliest I can be there is 3.30, will that be early enough for a t-shirt? :D

daa709
Oct 24, 2007, 06:49 PM
chris dude, i'll see you there hopefully.

you know who i am!

i'm only coming from st. georges, so its an easy double tube ride for me :)

Mac-Addict
Oct 24, 2007, 07:43 PM
Im so getting there at 3 and queuing, I don't care that much for free stuff (pfft :P) I just dont want to be in the queue until 7-8pm until I actually get in the store.

rph105
Oct 25, 2007, 01:25 AM
Yezzir Im Going To Be There For 6pm Sharp With My Gorgeous Gurl, Hoping To Scoop Leopard For Both Of Us

PowerFullMac
Oct 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
I might be there tomorrow not sure yet though... I haven't received word from my inside contact :D so im guessing not. :(

iPhelim
Oct 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
-

J@ffa
Oct 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'll be there, either at five-ish or four. Are there going to be more than five hundred people queuing before opening? Given the number of online orders, I don't know...

Synchro, I was there too! Got there about 5:45am thanks to the reliability of this country's transport system when no-one's using it (:P) and the queue was mind-bogglingly huge then. I got a t-shirt then, though! :D

I need to pick up not one, but two (honesty to the extreme) Leopard family packs — does anyone think Apple will take pity on me and give me two shirts (one for the person I'm buying a family pack for)?

GilGrissom
Oct 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
A friend and I are now going, meeting there straight after work, but we might not get there until just gone 6, depending on how fast the tube is! Look forward to seeing you all there! Always wanted to go to a product launch and feel the hype! Now I'm in London I can!

Here's a quick question, does the family pack still only come with 1 disk or does it come with 5 separate ones for each license? (I have several macs in the house and it's cheaper to get the family pack, obviously!)

PowerFullMac
Oct 25, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'll be there, either at five-ish or four. Are there going to be more than five hundred people queuing before opening? Given the number of online orders, I don't know...

Synchro, I was there too! Got there about 5:45am thanks to the reliability of this country's transport system when no-one's using it (:P) and the queue was mind-bogglingly huge then. I got a t-shirt then, though! :D

I need to pick up not one, but two (honesty to the extreme) Leopard family packs — does anyone think Apple will take pity on me and give me two shirts (one for the person I'm buying a family pack for)?

What did the t-shirt say? I got one that says :apple: Staff :D:D:D

eluk
Oct 25, 2007, 12:51 PM
Here's a quick question, does the family pack still only come with 1 disk or does it come with 5 separate ones for each license? (I have several macs in the house and it's cheaper to get the family pack, obviously!)

I'm pretty sure it is just the one.

PowerFullMac
Oct 25, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it is just the one.

Its one disk that lets you install the OS on more that one computer (up to 5 I think) where as the normal one only lets you install once.

Rigsby
Oct 25, 2007, 01:44 PM
I'm seriously tempted to go, either to Regent Street or Kingston, but I'm an Apple virgin when it comes to these sort of things.

Is it wise to get there seriously early, or could I still snag a shirt turning up at 5.30pm?

BBC B 32k
Oct 25, 2007, 02:02 PM
gonna try to get there for 5.59 pm, guess i can queue for sixty seconds, better get a t-shirt though or i will be peeved.

met line from pinner so may be late if there are delays. hope they still have some copies of Tiger left as i need one for my old eMac. should be on sale right?

i hear that hamleys will be selling Leopard for £49.00 on the day and starting at 5.45 pm. also free beer and a wink from the cashier with every copy sold.

see you all soon.

Mac-Addict
Oct 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
gonna try to get there for 5.59 pm, guess i can queue for sixty seconds, better get a t-shirt though or i will be peeved.

met line from pinner so may be late if there are delays. hope they still have some copies of Tiger left as i need one for my old eMac. should be on sale right?

i hear that hamleys will be selling Leopard for £49.00 on the day and starting at 5.45 pm. also free beer and a wink from the cashier with every copy sold.

see you all soon.

Pfft if you think you're getting a t-shirt at 5:59 you're living in a dream world :P

sananda
Oct 25, 2007, 03:48 PM

see you all soon.

a what from the cashier?

Mac-Addict
Oct 25, 2007, 05:06 PM
a what from the cashier?
A and I are pretty far away on a normal keyboard.. so he must mean wink..

netdog
Oct 26, 2007, 02:54 AM
My heart goes out to anyone lost enough to get on a line for 3 hours for a t-shirt. Only in England, the land where we love to queue.

I am reminded about sad guy who got in line in New York on Monday for an iPhone, and the expected throngs lining up behind him over the next 5 days never materialized.

Don't get me wrong...I'll be down at Regent Street later today, but if I were to arrive at 3, it would only be to share a drink and a laugh at some pub with my fellow forum mates. So far, it doesn't seem that is going to happen, but if their is a pre-sale pub meetup, call it here and count me in.

IT'S LEOPARD DAY!!!!

Di9it8
Oct 26, 2007, 03:32 AM
This is what you get on the Apple New Zealand site:D

Blue Velvet
Oct 26, 2007, 03:56 AM
I've decided to not go today... got other things to do. Have a good time, those that will be there. :)

Applespider
Oct 26, 2007, 05:50 AM
I will be going to meet up with someone else who I have a b'day present for - and who wants to buy Leopard. But I'm not planning on being there until pretty much 6pm and leaving shortly thereafter to retire to the nearest pub.

I'm in jeans and a black leather jacket today should anyone pluck up sufficient courage to say hello and fancy a drink

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 06:28 AM
My heart goes out to anyone lost enough to get on a line for 3 hours for a t-shirt. Only in England, the land where we love to queue.

Lol thats directed at meh xD Im going to get there at 3 and if no ones there or if its like 10 people Then Ill come back later after 3 :P

GilGrissom
Oct 26, 2007, 06:37 AM
I'll be with my friend wearing a pin stripe suit with no tie...which should narrow it down nicely for you! Look forward to seeing you there. Feel free to say hello if I don't find anyone. Probably gonna find a seat in the store and install Leopard on our PB and MBP before maybe heading off to a pub. As I say though, we shall be a little late, won't be til around 6.30 until we are there...so probably gonna walk into an empty store! hehe!

netdog
Oct 26, 2007, 07:32 AM
How about some reports live from Regent Street?

MattDell
Oct 26, 2007, 07:38 AM
I see a lot of London students in here. What campus is everyone from? I'm studying at LSE. Anyone else?

And... I'll be there around 5ish.

-Matt

iPhelim
Oct 26, 2007, 08:54 AM
-

netdog
Oct 26, 2007, 08:56 AM
Anybody there now? Any crowds?

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
Anybody there now? Any crowds?

I am here right now the place is packed no queue yet. Will keep you guys updated, OMG Leopard rules
EDIT: Time machine is ddisabled on all machines sorry for spelling mistakes I really am to busy to worry xD And this MBPs keyboard kinda sucks

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 09:26 AM
Everyone has iPhones! Its scary how many pople are waiting to get on this computer watching my every move I just wanna say back off xD I am going to start queuing xD I have glasses I am in a nike cout and blue jeans, honestly if you see me talk to me :P

netdog
Oct 26, 2007, 09:28 AM
Addict, what time does the store close?

Imbalance
Oct 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
I think it closes at 4pm, I'm here now and it's still fairly busy. Just being told to leave!

Cheerio

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 10:03 AM
Second in line here at the moment, the queues building slowly. Feeling just a *tad* geeky!

sananda
Oct 26, 2007, 10:05 AM
Second in line here at the moment, the queues building slowly. Feeling just a *tad* geeky!

you'll feel even more geeky when i turn up and address you as spanky deluxe in a loud voice!

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 10:06 AM
you'll feel even more geeky when i turn up and address you as spanky deluxe in a loud voice!

Dear God!! I knew I should have picked a better username...

sananda
Oct 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
Dear God!! I knew I should have picked a better username...

ha ha!

netdog
Oct 26, 2007, 10:13 AM
How long is the line?

10? 20? 50?

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 10:29 AM
How long is the line?

10? 20? 50?

Well, I'm not very good at guessing numbers but it goes all the way around the corner now. :) We had one rather arsey guy who tried to queue jump to the front of the queue but the security swiftly dealed with him at which point he screamed that we were all sad loser geeks. :rolleyes:

sananda
Oct 26, 2007, 10:36 AM
right, i'm leaving the monasteryo now. i'll be there about. look out for me. messed up afro, brown cord jacket and jeans.

PowerFullMac
Oct 26, 2007, 10:36 AM
Well, I'm not very good at guessing numbers but it goes all the way around the corner now. :) We had one rather arsey guy who tried to queue jump to the front of the queue but the security swiftly dealed with him at which point he screamed that we were all sad loser geeks. :rolleyes:

You should have him you here happy winner geeks who were getting Leopard before him :D:D:D

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
Well I'm in and I have my family pack. I have to say though, the organisation of this release was atrocious. There were no barriers and loads of people pushed in without the staff doing anything about them. Even when they opened the doors, one guy who turned up 10 minutes before launch managed to get to pretty much the front of the queue. Elbows were needed.

dcv
Oct 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
so who's got a tshirt then?

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
so who's got a tshirt then?

I have one. Well two actually. Apologies to anyone that comes later and doesn't get one because of me taking two but I figured I was worth some kind of compensation for the people that were queue jumping. We were fighting the cause for the people behind us with the apple staff who kept letting the randoms in.

Incidentally, they are *not* offering *any* form of student discount on Leopard here. No higher education discount and no standard discount. Full price or family pack price only.

STYF
Oct 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
No photos then?

Blue Velvet
Oct 26, 2007, 12:20 PM
What's on the Tshirts? Special Leopard ones?

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 12:22 PM
They've just got the leopard disk cover on the front. I would post photos but I lack teh bluetooth on the iBook. :)

Loge
Oct 26, 2007, 12:30 PM
Just got my family pack plus t-shirt from Regent Street. I got in the queue at 4.40.

sananda
Oct 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
i'm here. where are you all? no t-shirt for sananda :(

J@ffa
Oct 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
Got my copy of Leopard and t-shirt! Start queuing about half four, maybe a little after.

I didn't expect that amount of people… I mean, I figured there'd be a lot of people, but :D. Also, congrats to the Apple store security people for blocking off the fools who started their own alternate queue from the opposite side of the store entrance. The organisation was crappy though. I don't know how many t-shirts there really were, but if anyone from Apple is reading this, next time someone should probably walk down the queue while it's not frantic and hand out numbered tickets for people to show as they go in.

I can't wait to get home and install it though! The front is so shiny… :O

netdog
Oct 26, 2007, 12:53 PM
The T-Shirts are black with

:apple:
Add a new Mac to your Mac
Introducing Mac OS X Leopard

...on the back and the crappy big X with the new space theme that Ive and their ad agency are apparently hot on for some reason that escapes me.

I arrived at 5 and the line already went around the corner and 2/3 down the block. By 6 it went around more than half the park behind.

FWIW, I thought the security was quite good, relaxed but effective.

I am going to guess well over 1200 people there by 6.

MattDell
Oct 26, 2007, 01:14 PM
Just got back from Regents! Scored a t-shirt and got Leopard. I feel bad for the people who didn't realise you could go upstairs and check out. The queue downstairs was appalling! I was in & out in about 5 minutes. Then by the time I got out the queue was still all the way down the street!

And yes, the no student discount was bs!

-Matt

dcv
Oct 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
I wasn't gonna bother going but curiosity got the better of me. I go past that way on my way home from work anyway. Got there around 5:45 or 5:50 I think and the queue was all the way down Hanover Street, along Hanover Square and about 2/3 of the way down Princes St :eek:

I wasn't gonna queue as I was just interested to see the crowds and thought I'd pick up a copy of Leopard at a later date - but then I stood at the back of the line and tried to get online... and just thought I'd see how quickly the queue moved.

Didn't feel like long but actually didn't make it in to the store until about 6:15 - yeah, just after I made that previous post. Wow, chaos! Just grabbed my copy along with a wireless keyboard and didn't feel like hanging around.

cookieme
Oct 26, 2007, 02:05 PM
I just came back from the store.

Incidentally, they are *not* offering *any* form of student discount on Leopard here. No higher education discount and no standard discount. Full price or family pack price only.

This is not TRUE I just showed them my univeristy ID and I got the discount. Btw when I came to the store it was about 18:15 and although the queue stretched around the block it only took 10 min before I was in the store and got my hands on a copy of leopard.

No tshirt unfortunately, which simply means that by 10pm tonight the Apple Store at Regent street will by my estimation have sold a few thousand copies. Amazing how an operating system can cause such interest, but that's what Apple do well. :D

Gondry
Oct 26, 2007, 02:10 PM
Amazed to see the queue down the street and round the corner, joined it at 6.30pm fortunately it moved fast and was out the door with my copy within 20 minutes. Would have been quicker if I'd known about the upstairs!

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 03:13 PM
Just got back :D Just about in install.. goodbye Tiger :D I met Mr Spanky Deluxe :D Very nice guy :P He was second in line I was 4th xD Great day over all but sucked that the pricks pushed in.

iZaid
Oct 26, 2007, 03:28 PM
I was hoping to get Leopard today for £5.95 because I qualify for Up-to-date but they wouldn't do it in store:eek:, online only:mad:, I have to wait til monday or tuesday to recieve it :(

:rolleyes: i got a :apple: t-shirt though.

sananda
Oct 26, 2007, 04:20 PM
sucked that the pricks pushed in.

just got back. can't believe that people just pushed in.

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 04:25 PM
Writing this from Leopard, Its such a great upgrade I loveee it and OMFG the queue was insane xD Gald to say I was 4th coming away with 2 shirts (Sorry if you didnt get one xD Heh I waited 3 hours :P Which flew by) The amount of people that pushed pissed me off. But in the end whatever. All my photos came out pretty god damn crap which I am not happy about. heres one of the queue (At like 4, its got a hell of a lot bigger later on.)http://tinyurl.com/3ywg7e

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 05:03 PM
How long is the line?

10? 20? 50?

When you posted this it was about 300 people :P

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 05:14 PM
Just got back from Regents! Scored a t-shirt and got Leopard. I feel bad for the people who didn't realise you could go upstairs and check out.
-Matt

Thats what happened to me and Spanky Deluxe! Lol we got in the store and was getting screamed at by the apple staff who were blocking the way to the bottem back of the store so we thought we had to go upstairs :D It was a fun experience!

arn
Oct 26, 2007, 05:26 PM
photos?

arn

Imbalance
Oct 26, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well I managed to pickup Leopard & a tshirt from Regent st. It was pretty mad in there. I took some shots with my Nikon + sigma 30mm f1.4 but I've yet to process them.

It was fun waiting around if only to see the hordes of people and interest in what is... a software update. :rolleyes:

Di9it8
Oct 26, 2007, 06:18 PM
Shows how busy it was

We bought a macbook and printer, and as we were leaving I asked the guy serving us if Vista was in the box and he said yes:D:D:D

GilGrissom
Oct 26, 2007, 06:29 PM
Gutted I didn't get a free T-Shirt, they were all sold out when I got in. I arrived earlier than expected, pretty much bang on 6. An Apple Store employee came out and told us we were queuing in the wrong bit, it was at that point everyone realized the queue went round the entire block!

Installing Leopard as we speak, only just got in, spent all night at the Studio talking! (Apologies to the friendly Apple employees my friend and I were talking to all night propping up the bar!).

Dam tubes getting slower at night time!

Was quite interesting seeing the diversity, I enjoyed it, just wish I had a T-shirt.

rdsaunders
Oct 26, 2007, 06:30 PM
Well what a day, Mac Expo the the Leopard launch i was pretty much at the front of the queue, well outside the Lacoste Shop anyway.

For those of you who didn't get a t-shirt and want to see the product check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/15285022@N04/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15285022@N04/).

My Leopard install is complete just letting Time Machine do its business now.

I've got some shots inside the store I'll get them up on Flickr ASAP.

jimN
Oct 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
Gutted I didn't get a free T-Shirt, they were all sold out when I got in. I arrived earlier than expected, pretty much bang on 6. An Apple Store employee came out and told us we were queuing in the wrong bit, it was at that point everyone realized the queue went round the entire block!

Installing Leopard as we speak, only just got in, spent all night at the Studio talking! (Apologies to the friendly Apple employees my friend and I were talking to all night propping up the bar!).

Dam tubes getting slower at night time!

Was quite interesting seeing the diversity, I enjoyed it, just wish I had a T-shirt.

Was there much chatting in the line or were people keeping themselves to themselves?

GilGrissom
Oct 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
Was there much chatting in the line or were people keeping themselves to themselves?

It was in patches. Some people kept themselves to themselves, others chatted in their small groups of people they already knew. People kept coming by asking us what we were queuing for, none of them looked at me seriously when I told them we were waiting to get into the Apple Store! I chatted a bit with the people around me, was interesting seeing who was there to buy Leopard, who was there just to test it, who was there simply for the T-Shirts and who was there lost in the queue cuz all they wanted was to come in and look around and buy and iPod, knowing nothing about Leopard!!!
My friend was late getting there, so I met him inside the store when he finally got in.
Was some professional looking videoing going on outside of the queue, anyone know who it was??

sananda
Oct 26, 2007, 06:59 PM
People kept coming by asking us what we were queuing for, none of them looked at me seriously when I told them we were waiting to get into the Apple Store!

same here. it was a bit embarrassing to say i was queuing for an operating system!

Rigsby
Oct 26, 2007, 07:35 PM
it was a bit embarrassing to say i was queuing for an operating system!

Cah! It is the people who asked who should be embarrassed.

I got there about 5 and about half-way around the block which was good enough to snag a shirt, keyboard and Leopard by about 6.15.

My main purpose in commenting though is to say congrats to Apple on the management of the event, especially the policing of the queue. It was good to see they dealt with pushing in because, let's face it, they get the same money whether you push or not.

(one machine Leoparded, two to go!)

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 07:38 PM
photos?

arn

I guess I might as well upload the few photos I managed to take. :)

They're hardly the best photos but they're all I managed to shoot on my rubbish phone camera.

GilGrissom
Oct 26, 2007, 07:43 PM
Cah! It is the people who asked who should be embarrassed.

I got there about 5 and about half-way around the block which was good enough to snag a shirt, keyboard and Leopard by about 6.15.

My main purpose in commenting though is to say congrats to Apple on the management of the event, especially the policing of the queue. It was good to see they dealt with pushing in because, let's face it, they get the same money whether you push or not.

(one machine Leoparded, two to go!)
I agree with you there. I too thought they handled the queue very well and very professional. Well done Regent Street! Plus, well done to all the staff inside, seeing that armada of people constantly coming in couldn't be easy to face!

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 07:47 PM

There was one security guy with a shaved head who was excellent although I think he spent most of his time down the other end of the queue. One of the security guys at the front was really nice too but was a bit overwhelmed due to the number of people. There was an Apple guy at the front who was a bit rubbish though and let people in. The queuing was *really* bad at the front. People were pushing in and got away with it at five to six. One guy even barged in at exactly six o'clock.
Apple apparently couldn't get permission to use barriers from the council - probably because they left it so late to announce when Leopard would be in stores. We (everyone at the front) were *extremely* disappointed with the shocking organisation of the queues. The first 20m or so of the queue was about 4 people wide. The inner two had been there since about 4 while the outer two had queue jumped in at great annoyance to everyone else at about ten to six and the staff did nothing. This is the reason why some of you didn't get t-shirts. We tried complaining and arguing but to no avail. :(

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
There was one security guy with a shaved head who was excellent although I think he spent most of his time down the other end of the queue. One of the security guys at the front was really nice too but was a bit overwhelmed due to the number of people. There was an Apple guy at the front who was a bit rubbish though and let people in. The queuing was *really* bad at the front. People were pushing in and got away with it at five to six. One guy even barged in at exactly six o'clock.
Apple apparently couldn't get permission to use barriers from the council - probably because they left it so late to announce when Leopard would be in stores. We (everyone at the front) were *extremely* disappointed with the shocking organisation of the queues. The first 20m or so of the queue was about 4 people wide. The inner two had been there since about 4 while the outer two had queue jumped in at great annoyance to everyone else at about ten to six and the staff did nothing. This is the reason why some of you didn't get t-shirts. We tried complaining and arguing but to no avail. :(
Shame people had to spoil it but xD It was fun while it lasted :P Did Gareth fully install Leopard on his MBP?

powermac_daddy
Oct 26, 2007, 08:31 PM
overrated. these people just can't wait, can they?

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 2007, 08:32 PM
Shame people had to spoil it but xD It was fun while it lasted :P Did Gareth fully install Leopard on his MBP?

Yeah, completed without a hitch. All in all took 20-25 minutes which I thought was rather impressive! I think I'm finally finished with getting Leopard on my Mac Pro and getting everything nice and dandy. Installing it on the iBook took *forever* but I was doing an upgrade on that one.

Imbalance
Oct 27, 2007, 06:24 AM
Here are some photos I took at the launch... I resized them to 350px as the forum script was re-encoding them and they had horrible JPEG artefacts over the thumbnails previously.

Lyra
Oct 27, 2007, 07:29 AM
What do you guys mean no student discount?

Is that only on launch day or is that a permanent thing now at Regent street? First it's the iPods that don't have any student discount and now the OS? That's a little too harsh don't you think?

Here's why, it's something like £75 on their Apple.com/uk for students, but if you look at the US Student price it's only $65, so..... I'm getting screwed either way!! With or without student discount it's WAY too expensive in the UK.

Ok, so, when I saw the line of people circling the entire building, I was more impressed about that and wanting to know JUST how long the line of people actually was than getting Leopard. See, I can just pick it up from anywhere else if need be or today at apple or tomorrow... I don't need the insane people trying to cut in and giving me attitude when I can simply wait a few days and then get it nice and calmly.

Anyway, I think Apple should have opened up their apparels store again. With so many people buying apple products so enthusiastically, why not open up a section in Apple store for, T-Shirts, watches, badges, stickers, pins you name it. Like they once had. I think it would sell very well, if only they'd do that.

But, what you are saying is that the Regent Street isn't offering any Student Discount on Leopard? At all?

And there were no deaths reported yesterday during the premier!! That's probably the best news huh?

;)

cookieme
Oct 27, 2007, 08:07 AM
What do you guys mean no student discount?

Is that only on launch day or is that a permanent thing now at Regent street? First it's the iPods that don't have any student discount and now the OS? That's a little too harsh don't you think?

Here's why, it's something like £75 on their Apple.com/uk for students, but if you look at the US Student price it's only $65, so..... I'm getting screwed either way!! With or without student discount it's WAY too expensive in the UK.

Ok, so, when I saw the line of people circling the entire building, I was more impressed about that and wanting to know JUST how long the line of people actually was than getting Leopard. See, I can just pick it up from anywhere else if need be or today at apple or tomorrow... I don't need the insane people trying to cut in and giving me attitude when I can simply wait a few days and then get it nice and calmly.

Anyway, I think Apple should have opened up their apparels store again. With so many people buying apple products so enthusiastically, why not open up a section in Apple store for, T-Shirts, watches, badges, stickers, pins you name it. Like they once had. I think it would sell very well, if only they'd do that.

But, what you are saying is that the Regent Street isn't offering any Student Discount on Leopard? At all?

And there were no deaths reported yesterday during the premier!! That's probably the best news huh?

;)

Lyra if you had read the thread you would have seen my comment about the student discount in the store.

I just came back from the store.

This is not TRUE I just showed them my univeristy ID and I got the discount. Btw when I came to the store it was about 18:15 and although the queue stretched around the block it only took 10 min before I was in the store and got my hands on a copy of leopard.

No tshirt unfortunately, which simply means that by 10pm tonight the Apple Store at Regent street will by my estimation have sold a few thousand copies. Amazing how an operating system can cause such interest, but that's what Apple do well.

drlunanerd
Oct 27, 2007, 08:16 AM
Lyra if you had read the thread you would have seen my comment about the student discount in the store.

Did they give you the full HE discount though - Leopard for £58.75? Or did they charge £75?

cookieme
Oct 27, 2007, 08:21 AM
Did they give you the full HE discount though - Leopard for £58.75? Or did they charge £75?

I payed £76.50 which is what they call the Individual Educator discount. I wasn't aware that there are different education discounts.

mountainbiker
Oct 27, 2007, 08:26 AM
The line was pretty mad, but it seemed to move rather quickly once the doors were opened at 6pm. My hat is off to those who in the queue who had a word with the queue cutters as well as the Apple staff. (Dear queue cutters get with the program, or go back to your friends at Microsoft.)

I was amazed at the number of people in the queue that didn't buy Leopard. LOL... was the lame free t-shirt really worth your time in the queue?

I was a bit embarrassed by all the hot women who asked us what we were queuing up for. Oops, was I really standing in a queue for 2 hours on a Friday night. Hell ya! I saw the ladies later with a big box in my pocket.

Apple you get poor marks for selling Leopard right by entrance door and free t-shirts. It was rather disorganized. (Lets hope you learn for next month's iPhone event.) Upstairs seemed like it could use a few more rows of seats.

I got the new OS. A belly full of sushi. A bloodstream full of alcohol. And, a much lighter wallet. Fun times. I love London!

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 27, 2007, 09:58 AM
Several people I know there *didn't* get the student discount. Its my understanding now that Apple don't offer the educational discount in stores on software but only on hardware and that they don't offer the HE discount at all in stores.

Lyra, you're right about the apparel store, if they'd done that I'd have spent some more moneys for sure!! There were several hot girls that asked what we were doing too, a pair of very nice girls came and chatted to us for a while and then convinced the door staff to let them buy an iPod Touch at the front door. They didn't judge us too much for being there. Quite a few people came up and asked us what we were queueing for and upon hearing what it was about, pulled a disgusted face and walked off. :(

MattDell
Oct 27, 2007, 10:39 AM
Here are some photos I took at the launch... I resized them to 350px as the forum script was re-encoding them and they had horrible JPEG artefacts over the thumbnails previously.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88884&stc=1&d=1193484032

Hah, you got me at the bottom of the stairs on this one! Me and my two friends, I'm in the middle.

-Matt

Tom B.
Oct 27, 2007, 11:30 AM
I was gonna come to the Regent Street store, but I didn't have enough time, so I went to the Kingston Bentall Centre store instead. Got there at 6 but the queue only took 5 minutes and I easily managed to get a t-shirt. When I left at 7 there was still loads more t-shirts, but it had got pretty quiet outside, so I went back in and got another t-shirt. :D

sananda
Oct 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
I was gonna come to the Regent Street store, but I didn't have enough time, so I went to the Kingston Bentall Centre store instead. Got there at 6 but the queue only took 5 minutes and I easily managed to get a t-shirt. When I left at 7 there was still loads more t-shirts, but it had got pretty quiet outside, so I went back in and got another t-shirt. :D

i should have gone to kingston.

iPhelim
Oct 27, 2007, 11:38 AM
-

Imbalance
Oct 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hah, you got me at the bottom of the stairs on this one! Me and my two friends, I'm in the middle.

-Matt

Looks like you may have photographed me too.... :cool:

Mac-Addict
Oct 27, 2007, 03:27 PM
Who got the sweets and cakes they passed around xD Nice of Apple. Shame they couldnt put barriers up :(

iZaid
Oct 27, 2007, 03:53 PM
Who got the sweets and cakes they passed around xD Nice of Apple. Shame they couldnt put barriers up :(

:rolleyes: i liked the flapjacks and the chocolate, coffee would have been nice.

apple didnt tell the council early enough, so they couldnt put up barriers.

where about in the line were you BTW :confused:

Mac-Addict
Oct 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
:rolleyes: i liked the flapjacks and the chocolate, coffee would have been nice.

apple didnt tell the council early enough, so they couldnt put up barriers.

where about in the line were you BTW :confused:

4th :D 3 Hours flew by, I got coffee hand delivered by my mum lol! I'm only 13 so I had to come down with her and my dad but they went off shopping and I met up with them after.

mountainbiker
Oct 27, 2007, 05:59 PM
I got coffee hand delivered by my mum lol! My mate and I were by the Japanese restaurant around the corner. We were tempted to get a take-away bento box and beer.

Your mum and dad could have went into business bringing us all coffee. LOL...you probably could have bought a free Leopard with all the tips =) Tell mum and dad about the iPhone in November.

iPhelim
Oct 27, 2007, 06:09 PM
-

Blue Velvet
Oct 27, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hope some of you guys will make it to the annual Macrumors London Picnic, usually in July or so. :)

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
Hope some of you guys will make it to the annual Macrumors London Picnic, usually in July or so. :)

I'll be there unless I have some another 'incident' with a certain garden folk. :rolleyes:

rdsaunders
Oct 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
I just wrote a little bit of a blog entry on the Regent Street opening you an read it here http://www.rdsaunders.co.uk/2007/10/26/mac-os-x-105-leopard-launch-regent-street-london-uk/