PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis, IN

phillipjfry
Oct 17, 2007, 04:12 PM
Keystone at the Crossing Hookup thread.

I plan on being there to socialize with the chit chat. I haven't decided if I will be a store purchaser, yet, or a pre-ordererer.

kvasir
Oct 17, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm wanting to go, but I'm not sure if that'll happen or not. I pre-ordered because there is a chance that some people are going out after work.

Anyone plan to bring their system with them?

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm from Indy but my MUG is going to Chicago. :(

Michael73
Oct 17, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'd like to be there too but I have something that I just can't skip.

Anyway, I pre-ordered on the Apple website.

So, wait a minute. The store claims that Leopard will be delivered on the 26th. Does that mean that I'll have it before you can get it at the store at 6pm!?!

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 05:03 PM
I'd like to be there too but I have something that I just can't skip.

Anyway, I pre-ordered on the Apple website.

So, wait a minute. The store claims that Leopard will be delivered on the 26th. Does that mean that I'll have it before you can get it at the store at 6pm!?!More then likely.

VoodooDaddy
Oct 17, 2007, 05:17 PM
I considered going (live in Anderson) but I dont want to fight traffic on 69, then 82nd street at 530pm, not to mention the crowd that will likely be in the store. This was a pre-order for me.

phillipjfry
Oct 17, 2007, 08:00 PM
Looks like I'll be the only one at the Apple store then! More copies for me :p

@Kvasir
I planned on leaving work early to fight NE 465 traffic.
Also, you can bring your systems??

I considered going (live in Anderson) but I dont want to fight traffic on 69, then 82nd street at 530pm, not to mention the crowd that will likely be in the store. This was a pre-order for me.

lol, I'm going to be right there fighting fishers/castleton traffic. :(
I do everyday anyways.

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
Haughville, Indianapolis :rolleyes:

GfulDedFan
Oct 17, 2007, 08:02 PM
I'll probably stop by to check it out. My son had fun for iPhone.....he was First One:cool:.
I pre-ordered the Family Pack for our 2 PBs. Mini, MBP and my MB.

Hey Phillip...I have a Russian Tortoise too...Vladimir :)

phillipjfry
Oct 17, 2007, 08:05 PM
Haughville, Indianapolis :rolleyes:

I have a friend who lives close to belmont and w washington. Lil mexico they call it! :p

Hey Phillip...I have a Russian Tortoise too...Vladimir :)

I named mine Myrtle...the turtle, you know

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 08:07 PM
I have a friend who lives close to belmont and w washington. Lil mexico they call it! :pI know an Apple Store employee that lives two blocks away from me. :rolleyes:

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 12:45 PM
It looks like my MUG might be going to Indianapolis instead since it's a much shorter drive.

phillipjfry
Oct 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
that would be cool, then I can finally put name to face from my peeps on the forums :D

Any veterens want to try and guarantee that the stores will have more than enough copies of leopard to go around???

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
You definitely don't want to see me. :rolleyes:

DrPhibes
Oct 18, 2007, 10:59 PM
I normally pre-order but this year I decided to pick up a copy at the Keystone Store and hang out with my Mac brethren :)

I'm taking a half day off work and will be bailing my twin boys out of school a half day to join me, their big Apple fans too. We'll probably arrive at the store about 15 till five after a meal at BD's Mongolian Bar-BQ.

Cheers, DrPhibes

razmy
Oct 19, 2007, 01:29 PM
I'll be there too!

Getting out of class at 4:15, booking it from Anderson to Keystone and patiently wait with all you fine people!

I have a few questions:

I am using my $100 rebate from my iPhone to pay for most of Leopard. Can I still use a student's discount to nock off some more?

Also, some friends and I are debating the family pack as a group. Thoughts?

phillipjfry
Oct 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
probably they will discount it to like 116$ for the student discount (id bring proof of student-ness if I were you) and then the 100$ apple store card will bring it down to a smooth 16$+tax n stuff

And if you are going to split it with your friends (eg. family pack) i would have them throw in at least 5$ or something to cover cost and gas

Eidorian
Oct 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
It looks like my classes are all canceled for that day. :rolleyes:

phillipjfry
Oct 19, 2007, 09:48 PM
I can't believe I spaced on a class I teach Fridays at 6pm :(

I will probably be fashionably late and miss the door prize
SUX!

VoodooDaddy
Oct 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
Are all the stores suppose to have the t-shirts, and how many if so?? If I get really bored I might swing down early on that friday, hit Frys and mill around, then get to Keystone well before the rush hour kicks in. Never been to anything like this before, what kind of crowd can be expected, and how early to get there to get a t-shirt?? If I go I essentially am going to buy then return it since I have one on pre-order. I just want that shirt. :D

bjett92
Oct 22, 2007, 08:51 PM
I think first 500 thru the door after 6 get a t-shirt. I plan on being there probably around 5:30, thats if I can get my windows using parents to come because they are paying for part of my new MacBook :)

tuartboy
Oct 23, 2007, 02:03 AM
Well Fry, the Space Pope might come down from Vatican 5 to visit the party.

Really though, I'd be coming from Fort Wayne, so it would have to be more interesting than a pile of free shirts. Have to decide soon so I can preorder if I don't come.

Michael73
Oct 23, 2007, 03:38 PM
Are all the stores suppose to have the t-shirts, and how many if so?? If I get really bored I might swing down early on that friday, hit Frys and mill around, then get to Keystone well before the rush hour kicks in.

I forget when Frys weekly circulars come out. It's something odd like Wed or Thurs, but the most recent has a spectacular deal on 500GB internal SATA drives for only $94.99. I've been saving a HD bay in MP for Time Machine. If I don't get greedy and wait for a couple of months for 750's and 1T's to come down I just may see you at Frys and jump on the deal of the week for that 500.

VoodooDaddy
Oct 23, 2007, 03:43 PM
I forget when Frys weekly circulars come out. It's something odd like Wed or Thurs, but the most recent has a spectacular deal on 500GB internal SATA drives for only $94.99. I've been saving a HD bay in MP for Time Machine. If I don't get greedy and wait for a couple of months for 750's and 1T's to come down I just may see you at Frys and jump on the deal of the week for that 500.

Yes, they have really bizarre sale run dates. I think it typically is thursdays when the new ads are out. I just got this one about 2 weeks ago, partially for Time Machine, partially because my other 2 externals were almost full

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5217547

tuartboy
Oct 23, 2007, 04:06 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't time machine only use external drives? I think it's limited to USB and FireWire drives.

phillipjfry
Oct 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
I believe that a blank drive or maybe partition is needed. I don't think it has to be external. Some other people have talked about making their extra internal the TM drive

tuartboy
Oct 23, 2007, 11:48 PM
I believe that a blank drive or maybe partition is needed. I don't think it has to be external. Some other people have talked about making their extra internal the TM drive

Apple.com:

"You can designate just about any HFS+ formatted FireWire or USB drive connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive. Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices."

phillipjfry
Oct 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
If anyone can snag me a free tshirt, I would really appreciate it. I won't make the 6pm "grand opening" but I will show up before 8

Edit: XL or L if anyone really does get me one. Me love you long time!

tuartboy
Oct 24, 2007, 01:35 PM
Went ahead and pre-ordered Leopard this morning. Might still grab a friend and come down Friday just to get out of here for a day.

Michael73
Oct 24, 2007, 02:54 PM
Apple.com:

"You can designate just about any HFS+ formatted FireWire or USB drive connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive. Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices."

I wondered the same thing but there are several threads on Apple's own website in the Support / Discussions area that say that so long as the drive you're backing up to isn't the boot disc then you're OK.

I remember way back when, when Jobs first started talking about the TM app he said that he'd talked to the CEO of a major drive manufacturer who commented that there are only 2 types of drive, those that failed and those that are about to fail. With such logic, so long as you're backing up to a separate drive internal or external then you're minimizing you're risk of loss which is really what TM is about.

aethelbert
Oct 24, 2007, 03:58 PM
I'm coming with a friend. We're on fall break that day. Should be getting there about 3:00 (yeah, we're gonna be bored). Are they going to close the stores like they did for the iPhone launch?

Also, do you have to buy 10.5 to get the shirt or just be there? I can still get it from my mom's university for $69, so I won't be buying it on friday. I just want to play with it.

Eidorian
Oct 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
1. Shirt
2. Playing around with Leopard

tuartboy
Oct 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
Also, do you have to buy 10.5 to get the shirt or just be there? I can still get it from my mom's university for $69, so I won't be buying it on friday. I just want to play with it.

You sure about that price? I know they bumped educational pricing for 10.5 up to $116, so I would double check that number before making any plans.

I wondered the same thing but there are several threads on Apple's own website in the Support / Discussions area that say that so long as the drive you're backing up to isn't the boot disc then you're OK.

I remember way back when, when Jobs first started talking about the TM app he said that he'd talked to the CEO of a major drive manufacturer who commented that there are only 2 types of drive, those that failed and those that are about to fail. With such logic, so long as you're backing up to a separate drive internal or external then you're minimizing you're risk of loss which is really what TM is about.

Fair enough. I still don't see the point in relying on local storage as backups. It's great for versioning and bringing back deleted files, but you can't rely on it for backups. A fire/thief/tornado/act-of-god will take out your main hard drive and the backup sitting an inch from it. The only way to be sure you can recover your data is to do offsite and that requires remote hardware, a backup service, or 2+ externals and a car. Personally, I keep nightlies of my files and SVN repos of my code both on a raid 1 NAS and on a server in Cali. Of course, a mudslide + tornado might do some damage to that system... ;)

aethelbert
Oct 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
You sure about that price? I know they bumped educational pricing for 10.5 up to $116, so I would double check that number before making any plans.
Although Apple's edu price is $116, individual institutions (colleges, universities, etc) can still sell it for $69.

(http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/16/mac-os-x-leopard-upgrade-options/)

tuartboy
Oct 24, 2007, 07:33 PM
Although Apple's edu price is $116, individual institutions (colleges, universities, etc) can still sell it for $69.

(http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/16/mac-os-x-leopard-upgrade-options/)

Proven wrong yet again. :o

Eidorian
Oct 24, 2007, 09:00 PM
Purdue University is looking into reselling OS X to its students now.

Even so, PUMUG (http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~pumug/) will be joining you in Indianapolis around 4:00 - 4:30 PM.

:D

phillipjfry
Oct 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
i guess we could coordinate dressware to ID each other. Unless I should go around shouting "IM PHILLIP FRY" :p
I'm totally excited!

Eidorian
Oct 25, 2007, 12:03 PM
Turtleneck, black. :rolleyes:

aethelbert
Oct 25, 2007, 12:10 PM
Turtleneck, black. :rolleyes:
and blue jeans

Eidorian
Oct 25, 2007, 12:11 PM
and blue jeansI sadly don't own any, yet.

aethelbert
Oct 25, 2007, 12:13 PM
I sadly don't own any, yet.
There's still time to go to Cupertino, steal some of Steve's, then get back to Keystone by tomorrow.

aschmuck1
Oct 25, 2007, 03:08 PM
I am hoping to getting there around 5. I really want one of those t-shirts.

razmy
Oct 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
Like I said, I will be leaving Anderson around 4:30, so an estimated hour drive brings me there at 5:30-ish. I keep praying that I'll still have a place in line for both the upgrade and T-shirt (hopefully it will look mac-esc).

I figure I'll be wearing a brown corduroy jacket and a zip up hoodie, blue jeans, white tennis shoes, a blue t-shirt with a brown long-sleeve, glasses, semi-red cheeks, short hair, 6'7", 260lbs., big smile, and a black SLR camera bag (I have to take pictures for the universities paper). Descriptive much? :)

VoodooDaddy
Oct 25, 2007, 06:48 PM
I was that shirt too!! :)

1) I assume the shirts are just for Leopard buyers, not just the first 500 through the door??

2) what kind of crowd can realistically be expected at say 5pm??

Hey razmy, if I go Ill let you cut in with me :) Dont know what Im wearing, but will let you know here before I leave if I go. If I go Ill be heading down probably mid-afternoon, go to Frys, maybe Castleton Mall, then get to Keystone at 430ish to check out the crowd. I could always make a sign "Im with razmy" and hold it up :)

aethelbert
Oct 25, 2007, 07:02 PM
I was that shirt too!! :)

1) I assume the shirts are just for Leopard buyers, not just the first 500 through the door??

2) what kind of crowd can realistically be expected at say 5pm??

Hey razmy, if I go Ill let you cut in with me :) Dont know what Im wearing, but will let you know here before I leave if I go. If I go Ill be heading down probably mid-afternoon, go to Frys, maybe Castleton Mall, then get to Keystone at 430ish to check out the crowd. I could always make a sign "Im with razmy" and hold it up :)
1. I think that everyone gets one.
2. Who knows.

phillipjfry
Oct 25, 2007, 08:37 PM
frys jipped me today. I went in to get that maxtor onetouch 500gb usb/fw400 drive thats on ad online for 179 (omfg!) and they had it at the store for 179 and wouldnt honor online price :(

Found offbrand 500gb usb/fw400 for 159.99$ tho :)

I probably will wear jeans and a white tshirt and be the one begging to buy everyone's leopard tshirt :p

VoodooDaddy
Oct 25, 2007, 10:11 PM
frys jipped me today. I went in to get that maxtor onetouch 500gb usb/fw400 drive thats on ad online for 179 (omfg!) and they had it at the store for 179 and wouldnt honor online price :(

Found offbrand 500gb usb/fw400 for 159.99$ tho :)

I probably will wear jeans and a white tshirt and be the one begging to buy everyone's leopard tshirt :p

I assume the online price was less than $179 as you mentioned since the instore price was $179.

But, I know that in fact their online prices dont reflect their instore ads. They had some ram I wanted online for $70 with a $30 mail in rebate a cpl weeks ago. I called the store and they did offer the mail in rebate, but instore price was $90, not 70. I went ahead and ordered online. Doesnt make sense to me why they have different pricing between online and instore.

Curious about the drive you got, was it an Acomdata by chance?

razmy
Oct 25, 2007, 10:24 PM
I forgot to mention I'll be with my good friend zach (aka my ride to Indy). I don't know what he'll be wearing but he's tall and has short curly blond hair.

I just saw the shirts and they look ubber sweet!! I'm so excited! But honestly, if someone could lower my anxiety by giving me an estimation of crowd volume? I like the sign idea, someone should make one that says macrumors on it, then video tape it for youtube! I hope to get one of my pictures on the main page...eh, wishful thinking.

And if im not considered a mac fanboy yet, i posted this from my iphone. :)

phillipjfry
Oct 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
I assume the online price was less than $179 as you mentioned since the instore price was $179.

But, I know that in fact their online prices dont reflect their instore ads. They had some ram I wanted online for $70 with a $30 mail in rebate a cpl weeks ago. I called the store and they did offer the mail in rebate, but instore price was $90, not 70. I went ahead and ordered online. Doesnt make sense to me why they have different pricing between online and instore.

Curious about the drive you got, was it an Acomdata by chance?

Yessir I got the acomdata drive. Please tell me I did good. Otherwise I can take it back tomorrow.

Yea I don't like how frys will lower price for online buying, but u still pay some money for shipping, which oddly enough almost amounts to the instore price. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW GUYS/GALS!!! :)

VoodooDaddy
Oct 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
Yessir I got the acomdata drive. Please tell me I did good. Otherwise I can take it back tomorrow.

Yea I don't like how frys will lower price for online buying, but u still pay some money for shipping, which oddly enough almost amounts to the instore price. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW GUYS/GALS!!! :)

Ive got 3 Acomdata drives on my desk, which is a testament to how comfortable I am with the brand. As a matter of fact, I just picked up that same drive about 2 weeks ago with Time Machine in mind. And I got it for the same price instore that its offered at online, $119.

All that said, any drive by any brand can fail at any time.

tuartboy
Oct 25, 2007, 11:09 PM
The south Best Buy here in Fort Wayne was selling the 1TB WD Mybook World NAS for $110 a few weeks ago. A friend who works at the store tipped me off and I went and bought 2TB of storage for $220. I cannibalized 1 for my mac pro (http://www.flickr.com/photos/2dee/1485534492/) and the other is just extra, albeit horribly slow, storage.

I just got an email from Apple confirming my shipment. Stupid me told it to ship to my old University address. Looks like I'll be stopping by Upland tomorrow on my way down to Indy.

The shipping notice also said it would be here on the 30th. I sure hope that is wrong...

Anyway, I'll be there tomorrow. Probably grab a friend who is off work to come with me. No clue what I'll be wearing, but I'll have my canon backpack for sure.

Someone should just make up a sign with the MR logo on it.

aethelbert
Oct 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well, my preorder got here this morning. I guess that I'll be the one sitting in line running 10.5 on a macbook.

Michael73
Oct 26, 2007, 01:03 PM
Ive got 3 Acomdata drives on my desk, which is a testament to how comfortable I am with the brand. As a matter of fact, I just picked up that same drive about 2 weeks ago with Time Machine in mind. And I got it for the same price instore that its offered at online, $119.

All that said, any drive by any brand can fail at any time.

I called Frys just before lunch specifically to verify the price and they said that the drive was no longer on sale. I said, "But it's still that price on your website." at which point the guy at Frys suggested I order it there. I admit Frys has some pretty awesome deals but their customer service is the pits. Anymore, I'll try and have CompUSA or BestBuy price match just so I don't have to deal with them.

On another note, I took it as a sign that since the 500GB drive wasn't on sale, that I should wait for this weekend's ads and there might be a better deal on a 750 or 1T.

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
I called Frys just before lunch specifically to verify the price and they said that the drive was no longer on sale. I said, "But it's still that price on your website." at which point the guy at Frys suggested I order it there. I admit Frys has some pretty awesome deals but their customer service is the pits. Anymore, I'll try and have CompUSA or BestBuy price match just so I don't have to deal with them.

On another note, I took it as a sign that since the 500GB drive wasn't on sale, that I should wait for this weekend's ads and there might be a better deal on a 750 or 1T.Being someone who gets the Indianapolis Star for free...

There is a USB only Acomdata 750 GB drive on sale for $179.

If you want I can bring several copies of the Frys ad if you're going to be in line at Keystone.

Michael73
Oct 26, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hey, I appreciate the offer but I can't make it tonight and I already pre-ordered my copy online. In fact, I think it was delivered around 10am this morning but I haven't made it home from work yet.

I have to admit that I'm kind of peeved at Apple. I ordered Leopard the first day it was available for $129 ($136 including tax) and then realized that my company has a corporate agreement that lets me get it for $107 a few days ago. So, I called up Apple asked them to cancel the order which hadn't shipped yet (it was just prepared for shipment) and place a second for the better price. The customer service guy said no problem and I thought all was fine until I checked the order status yesterday to find out the first copy that I thought was cancelled had been shipped and the second was prepared for shipment. I called up and they told me the first CSR shouldn't have said he could cancel the order since once it's prepared for shipment, they can't stop it. So now my second order is slated to arrive on 10/30 and they've emailed me the return labels for the first shipment. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I can't return the un-opened copy to the store at Keystone and get my money back. UGH!

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 01:49 PM
For the life of me, I can't figure out why I can't return the un-opened copy to the store at Keystone and get my money back. UGH!You're not the only person boggled by this.

I wonder if I get a corporate discount on the Family Pack. I have at least 2 Macs back home among my siblings.

Michael73
Oct 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
I wonder if I get a corporate discount on the Family Pack. I have at least 2 Macs back home among my siblings.

My EPP price:
Single User: $107.10 (add 6% sales tax)
Family Pack: $165.20 (add 6% sales tax)
Free shipping

tuartboy
Oct 26, 2007, 02:34 PM
just stopped by the store. About 10 people in line so far. Not going to go in line myself yet, but it does look like there will be people there.

aethelbert
Oct 26, 2007, 02:51 PM
just stopped by the store. About 10 people in line so far. Not going to go in line myself yet, but it does look like there will be people there.
I'm one of those ten! The line hasn't grown at all.

phillipjfry
Oct 26, 2007, 02:51 PM
Yea I am still trying to get my previously scheduled evening obligations cancelled in good faith before I bail out on them just to stand in line :p

If anything, I'm going to leave at 4:30 and try to make my way down 86th (damn u traffic!!) and see if I can make it before 5:30, hopefully beat all the noobs that couldn't get out of work earlier :D

EDIT: akon, snag me a shirt!! Also, is the crowd lively or are they just grumbling cause they have to wait 2 hours?

aethelbert
Oct 26, 2007, 03:33 PM
Yea I am still trying to get my previously scheduled evening obligations cancelled in good faith before I bail out on them just to stand in line :p

If anything, I'm going to leave at 4:30 and try to make my way down 86th (damn u traffic!!) and see if I can make it before 5:30, hopefully beat all the noobs that couldn't get out of work earlier :D

EDIT: akon, snag me a shirt!! Also, is the crowd lively or are they just grumbling cause they have to wait 2 hours?
You'll get a shirt. There can't be more than 30 people in line right now. The crowd seems pretty calm... a lot of people with their laptops/ipods, some conversations going on..

The only ones complaining are the ones who came in to buy ipod headphones or something just to find the store closed.

Also, the FFA kids from the convention are in the mall. They're running around and screaming... quite annoying.

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 03:58 PM
Posting from line. :D

aethelbert
Oct 26, 2007, 04:05 PM
Where are you in line?

mrcartman91
Oct 26, 2007, 04:18 PM
i really want to go but idk if i can get a ride over there... i was lookin forward to a free apple shirt

mox358
Oct 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
looks like I'm going to be joining you guys at Keystone tonight. I have a friend who wants to get a Macbook and I've decided to go ahead and get leopard when we go. We're on 65 right now, heading that way.

VoodooDaddy
Oct 26, 2007, 04:56 PM
in line myself. 10min to 6, probably a good 250-300 ppl here. I got here about 450. Looks like im abouy halfway, about half infront of me, half behind. They came out earlier and said there were shirts for everyone, stressed that point. So as long as you come youll most likely get one.

Think the Apple employees are hopped up on speed or something, trying to get ppl to do the wave. Thats something steve ballmer would probably do.

Btw, this is annoying. I can see the apple store wifi, but cant connect to it for some reason.

phillipjfry
Oct 26, 2007, 05:55 PM
in line myself. 10min to 6, probably a good 250-300 ppl here. I got here about 450. Looks like im abouy halfway, about half infront of me, half behind. They came out earlier and said there were shirts for everyone, stressed that point. So as long as you come youll most likely get one.

Think the Apple employees are hopped up on speed or something, trying to get ppl to do the wave. Thats something steve ballmer would probably do.

Btw, this is annoying. I can see the apple store wifi, but cant connect to it for some reason.

omg me too! it was annoying seeing everyone (what it seemed) playin around on the internet and im getting the dhcp reserved ip address.
I got me a nice shirt and stuff. Going to get some food for the night and play with Leopard.

p.s. the wave was kinda....interesting

mrcartman91
Oct 26, 2007, 06:08 PM
hey for people who went how many t-shirts were available? I was going to go for a shirt but my family convinced me that there wouldnt be enough unless I went early and waited. also did you need to purchase anything to get a free shirt?

aethelbert
Oct 26, 2007, 06:38 PM
hey for people who went how many t-shirts were available? I was going to go for a shirt but my family convinced me that there wouldnt be enough unless I went early and waited. also did you need to purchase anything to get a free shirt?
Well, when I left, there were employees standing at the door yelling to random people walking by, "free t-shirts." And you didn't need to purchase anything. You just got one for walking in the door.

razmy
Oct 26, 2007, 07:38 PM
I wore my Leopard shirt to Office Max right after to get my external hard drive (350 for $130) and the cashier was envious :)

Here are pictures from line...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3925.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3923.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3921.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3920.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3918.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3915.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3905.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3901.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3899.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3898.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/razmy/random/DSC_3896.jpg

phillipjfry
Oct 26, 2007, 07:49 PM
Gah! I look like my little brother from behind :o

EDIT: Also, one of the Apple employee ladies touched my arm *melts*

VoodooDaddy
Oct 26, 2007, 08:28 PM
Cpl shots from my iPhone:

1) crowd about 450pm. This was about the total turnout I was expecting at 6pm

2) Some nice "apples" there :D

3 & 4) Security making way for more people

5) Apple employees file in

VoodooDaddy
Oct 26, 2007, 08:29 PM
Cpl more...

1) crowd just before 6. I was shocked to see that many people. I sent an email to someone and said "its a mass of cult-ish humanity"

2) didnt even realize there was another LONG line of people over here until we started to file in at 6.

aethelbert
Oct 26, 2007, 08:50 PM
Wow, no pictures from the guy who arrived at 4:00 am?

cagilber
Oct 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
Hey, I see my back in one of those photos! I was amazed at how quick and effortless it was to purchase Leopard. I only had to wait in line 1 hr, and had Leopard and was on my way home by 6:15 PM.

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
Good, I didn't show up in any.

tuartboy
Oct 26, 2007, 09:50 PM
Damn, I look like a nasty hobo in that B&W shot ramzy! The 6 hours of sleep a night and all the extra pounds have been unkind!

Anyway, I have some shots I could probably post, but I'm installing leopard on my production machine right now. (Don't worry, I have Tiger ghosted to another HD just in case.)

phillipjfry
Oct 26, 2007, 10:01 PM
is it taking anyone else a nasty long time just to install leopard? It seems like this one takes considerably more time to install. :(

aethelbert
Oct 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
is it taking anyone else a nasty long time just to install leopard? It seems like this one takes considerably more time to install. :(
Which option did you use?

razmy
Oct 26, 2007, 11:23 PM

Agreed, I just finished...of course I was cautious, and saved a back up of all my files on my new external and that took forever, then before the installation began it had to "read the DVD" for some reason, and that took a good hour or so. Then the actual installation began, which took another hour, and now my hard drive has to re-back up everything...leopard is great, but little touchy. Hopefully that goes away soon.

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
Agreed, I just finished...of course I was cautious, and saved a back up of all my files on my new external and that took forever, then before the installation began it had to "read the DVD" for some reason, and that took a good hour or so. Then the actual installation began, which took another hour, and now my hard drive has to re-back up everything...leopard is great, but little touchy. Hopefully that goes away soon.It's verifying the installation media.

phillipjfry
Oct 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
Which option did you use?

Basic erase and install, I removed some packages from the default install option though, and also zero'd out my drive I think (it was last night). But it froze trying to install bsd subsystem I do believe. A reboot, skipping the erase options, verifying the media and the installation zipped right on through without skipping a beat and man it's beautiful. It's a little touchy but nothing a few 10.5.x updates wont cure :)

This release has some serious potential

aethelbert
Oct 27, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'd just like to say that I'm impressed that Indianapolis has the 3rd most posts of any city... Sort of ironic.

Eidorian
Oct 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'd just like to say that I'm impressed that Indianapolis has the 3rd most posts of any city... Sort of ironic.I was surprised as well.

tuartboy
Oct 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
I was surprised at the turnout. There were all kinds of people there. Kids, middle-age couples, that old guy with the lawn chair...

VoodooDaddy
Oct 27, 2007, 02:41 PM
I was surprised at the turnout. There were all kinds of people there. Kids, middle-age couples, that old guy with the lawn chair...

There was a woman, must have been 80+ that had a walker!! Anyone see her?

razmy
Oct 27, 2007, 02:48 PM

YEAH, she was quite friendly.

aethelbert
Oct 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
Don't forget the guy that yelled "I LOVE WINDOWS" right as he was walking into the store.

Yeah, I saw her. Rather interesting group yesterday. I want to say that she walked out with an employee carrying an iMac for her, but I could be wrong.

razmy
Oct 27, 2007, 04:55 PM
"Don't forget the guy that yelled "I LOVE WINDOWS" right as he was walking into the store."

THAT WAS ME!!

Eidorian
Oct 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
There was a woman, must have been 80+ that had a walker!! Anyone see her?She was surprised as to how far the bathroom was.

She brought her laptop too.

aethelbert
Oct 27, 2007, 05:21 PM
Did anyone see the kid that was going around and stealing peoples' t-shirts when they weren't looking? I saw him carrying at least ten at one point.

GfulDedFan
Nov 7, 2007, 08:22 AM
And the first in line honors went to:

Ian, Wade, and yours truly. I pre-ordered and brought my copy to the line and showed it off to hungry attendees. You should have seen the look on Karen's face when I was first up at her register and asked for iLife '08 instead of Leopard. It was priceless.

Drag the t-shirts were large only because I'm an XL.

Ian (my son) and Wade were in line 14 hours arriving at 4 AM. They brought a case of diet Dew and had a pizza delivered to the line. I joined them at 5:15 PM.

The same duo were first in line for iPhone and Wade was first for Tiger.

Trilokavijaya
Nov 21, 2007, 03:32 AM
Sup ppls! (form IN)

I've noticed that many with Leopard are sportin' the acomdata 750 external HDD's.

Who here has leopard compatible with their Acom? Did you have to dl/install a firmware update?

Please post the fix!

-Sayonara!

'Cheers for leopard! The OS rocks! and you ppls