PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville, FL (Not Gainesville, GA!!!)

supremedesigner
Oct 17, 2007, 04:16 PM
There are no Apple store in Gainesville, FL but I assumed Best Buy will sell some. Is anyone interested in meeting up?

The closest store I assumed is Millennia Mall or Florida Mall in Orlando, FL. heh

Zianac
Oct 18, 2007, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Jax store is closer than Orlando... but I could be wrong... I'll go to best buy today to see if they'll have any copies...

Gators Fan
Oct 18, 2007, 11:16 AM
Just spoke with the Apple account exec (Kevin Hodges) handling sales to UF. He said that the UF Bookstore would not have any copies of OS X 10.5 (Leopard) on-hand on October 26th. Best bet? A roadtrip to an Apple store.

He also added that the "institutional" price ($69) for Leopard was available only to "educators and other university staff, and not to students," and that all purchases (at this price) must go through UF's purchasing department.

Iamtherealwoody
Oct 18, 2007, 09:22 PM
Im heading down to Miami the 26th, so Im gonna go to the Falls store there on saturday morning. Was thinking about stopping by the Orlando store on the way down but I figure that will take way too long. Saturday morning for me!

ian-frs
Oct 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
If you know anyone at UCF they are getting copies on the 26th and students get the discount for $69. Might be worth a stop if you have friends there.

yoppie
Oct 19, 2007, 04:51 AM
UF students can purchase Leopard for $69 from UCF by applying for a non-UCF student account and proving that they are a student at UF (student ID #). They will even ship it to you for a small cost. https://www.cstore.ucf.edu

Under eligibility (in the store info tab) the following info can be found:

The UCF Computer Store serves current students, staff and faculty of the University of Central Florida and surrounding Higher Education Institutions. Current photo ID is required to purchase from the UCF Computer Store. Acceptable forms of ID are:

UCF Student/Staff/Faculty ID
Acceptance letter to UCF (photo ID required)
Fee Invoice (photo ID required)
Class Schedule (photo ID required)

UCF alumni are not eligable to purchase academically priced software, hardware, or computer systems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used my UF student ID number and did an account request earlier this week online and was approved for purchase a few hours later. They do verify your information to make sure you are currently enrolled so no cheating. Besides we don't need/want to abuse the privilege of purchasing from UCF through honest means.

Hope this info is of some help to my fellow mac-toting Gators.

FYI you might have to type in Leopard in the search bar since for some reason it doesn't show under Apple Software.

https://www.cstore.ucf.edu

phungy
Oct 20, 2007, 12:31 AM
Just spoke with the Apple account exec (Kevin Hodges) handling sales to UF. He said that the UF Bookstore would not have any copies of OS X 10.5 (Leopard) on-hand on October 26th. Best bet? A roadtrip to an Apple store.

He also added that the "institutional" price ($69) for Leopard was available only to "educators and other university staff, and not to students," and that all purchases (at this price) must go through UF's purchasing department.

Aw man, I was hoping they would have it... guess I'll have to do the "buy through UCF" option " http://i.slickdeals.net/images/smilies2/tumbleweed.gif

supremedesigner
Oct 24, 2007, 11:12 AM
UF students can purchase Leopard for $69 from UCF by applying for a non-UCF student account and proving that they are a student at UF (student ID #). They will even ship it to you for a small cost. https://www.cstore.ucf.edu

Under eligibility (in the store info tab) the following info can be found:

The UCF Computer Store serves current students, staff and faculty of the University of Central Florida and surrounding Higher Education Institutions. Current photo ID is required to purchase from the UCF Computer Store. Acceptable forms of ID are:

UCF Student/Staff/Faculty ID
Acceptance letter to UCF (photo ID required)
Fee Invoice (photo ID required)
Class Schedule (photo ID required)

UCF alumni are not eligable to purchase academically priced software, hardware, or computer systems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used my UF student ID number and did an account request earlier this week online and was approved for purchase a few hours later. They do verify your information to make sure you are currently enrolled so no cheating. Besides we don't need/want to abuse the privilege of purchasing from UCF through honest means.

Hope this info is of some help to my fellow mac-toting Gators.

FYI you might have to type in Leopard in the search bar since for some reason it doesn't show under Apple Software.

https://www.cstore.ucf.edu

You have a very good information! Unfort, I do not have UF or UCF, just Full Sail ID :-\ hahahaha

yoppie
Oct 24, 2007, 01:07 PM
You have a very good information! Unfort, I do not have UF or UCF, just Full Sail ID :-\ hahahaha

I'm not sure where Full Sail is located but if it qualifies as a "surrounding higher education institution," help yourself. I'm just trying to spread the word so my fellow college students don't go broke trying to purchase the new OS. :) BIG THANKS to the UCF bookstore!!!

tammy418
Oct 24, 2007, 02:29 PM
Thank you <b>yoppie<b>, I'm going to try the UCF option. Since i was going to be in orlando next week for a concert at the UCF arena, i was actually thinking of passing by their bookstore and literally beg them to let me buy Leopard. I have no shame:o

My other options inluded sending my friend the money so she could buy it for me at the FSU (:eek:) computer store.

yoppie
Oct 31, 2007, 08:59 AM
Just came back to post that I received my Leopard copy in the mail from UCF on yesterday. :D Have any other UF students received their copy from UCF?

hamholio
Oct 31, 2007, 01:46 PM
I'm a UF student and filled out the form to sign up for a UCF student shopping account, but have yet to hear back from them. (I did it about a week ago now.)

yoppie
Oct 31, 2007, 02:51 PM
I'm a UF student and filled out the form to sign up for a UCF student shopping account, but have yet to hear back from them. (I did it about a week ago now.)

That's weird. They sent approval of my account about 2 hours after I applied.

Make sure that you sign up for the non-UCF student account and include your UF student ID # in the space where they ask for your account number. If you did this, you should probably call them because they're definitely selling to UF students. I have my Leopard box in my hand.

*** The UCF Bookstore even called and left a message apologizing on Friday because their Leopard shipment wasn't in. Considering I wasn't expecting to receive it on the 26th, I thought that was a nice touch.

tammy418
Oct 31, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm a UF student and was approved about 2hrs after I requested an account. Anyways, I received my copy of Leopard today and they shipped it yesterday afternoon.