PDA

View Full Version : San Diego/La Jolla, CA (UTC)

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
Anyone going to be at the UTC Apple Store?

When Apple says 6 PM, they mean local time, right?

glennsan
Oct 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
Anyone going to be at the UTC Apple Store?

When Apple says 6 PM, they mean local time, right?

Yes, they mean local time. 6 pm PST.

Glennsan

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 17, 2007, 05:02 PM
Awesome. *Yay I don't have class during that time frame :D*

pangit
Oct 18, 2007, 11:33 PM
i miiiiight be going to the apple store in utc, not sure though.

mc68k
Oct 18, 2007, 11:35 PM
im in, this one is closer to my work than fashion valley. time to add to the free apple tshirt collection :P

how are we gonna know who is MR members?

Tanglewood
Oct 18, 2007, 11:36 PM
I was probably going to go to the Fashion Valley Apple store. Though UTC does have a better food court. Hmmm... decisions decisions.

mc68k
Oct 18, 2007, 11:39 PM
I was probably going to go to the Fashion Valley Apple store. Though UTC does have a better food court. Hmmm... decisions decisions.i used to get made fun of by pretentious passers by in the fashion valley mall if that helps :P

utc has sbarro, subway, genghis khan, red robin on the other end :)

pangit
Oct 18, 2007, 11:41 PM
I was probably going to go to the Fashion Valley Apple store. Though UTC does have a better food court. Hmmm... decisions decisions.

dont forget an ice rink!!!

mc68k
Oct 18, 2007, 11:43 PM
i wonder if you have to buy leopard to get a tshirt, that would really suck ass

aznguy2772
Oct 19, 2007, 01:14 AM
I would go to UTC, but for me, it's cheaper at the UCSD bookstore ($69). Too bad I won't get a t-shirt. Or will I? It's too bad I still have that $100 iPhone credit. I was going to use it to buy Leopard except that it's cheaper at the bookstore. I'll take advantage of that. But good luck at UTC!

pangit
Oct 19, 2007, 01:45 AM
I would go to UTC, but for me, it's cheaper at the UCSD bookstore ($69). Too bad I won't get a t-shirt. Or will I? It's too bad I still have that $100 iPhone credit. I was going to use it to buy Leopard except that it's cheaper at the bookstore. I'll take advantage of that. But good luck at UTC!

how is it 69 bucks at the bookstore?

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 19, 2007, 02:51 AM

Dunno, man... They might stick to Apple's new education pricing (despite their steep iLife and iWork discount). Besides, not like UTC's THAT far away...

fattito
Oct 19, 2007, 03:51 AM
You can get education pricing at the Apple Store if you just show them your student ID.

Also, they raised their education pricing from $69 to $116, so now instead of a $60 discount, it's only $13.

Confirm by going to www.apple.com/education click on "Education Store" at the top right and find "your" school. For quick access or if you don't/didn't go to college, type zip code 90089 (USC).

I'll be at the UTC Apple store with a USC visor on and with my (old and expired) school ID. (go trojans!) then i'll be at rubio's in the food court. here is a full list of ALL the food available at UTC mall: http://westfield.com/utc/dining/index.html i don't care what you say, ya can't beat cinnabon!

if you've read this and see me there, please come say hi to me.
==

drunk,

Daniel

LW Will
Oct 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
you know, its too bad they didn't release this thing on a Tuesday...

Rubio's has a special on Fish Tacos on Tuesday nights!

Hmmm... fish tacos....

Also, do they give the t-shirts to the first people in line, or to the first people who buy Leopard?

I might be there, but my track record is pretty bad at the Apple Store... they have told me things were out of stock and to buy them from the web site.

Will

UbuntuFu
Oct 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
how is it 69 bucks at the bookstore?

http://bookstore.ucsd.edu/computers/software/apple.htm#osx10

Preorder and pick it up on October 26th, at 6pm. $69
Why go to UTC?

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 19, 2007, 01:24 PM

Why go to UTC?

Because I need a Family Pack.

Crike .40
Oct 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
I'm in the La Jolla area, but as I used to work at the UCSD bookstore, I'll be getting my copy from there (pre-ordered ftw) the true education price $69.

pandashark
Oct 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
I'm preordered at the UCSD bookstore too :) but maybe i could go hang out at UTC just to see the scene, and then pick up my copy from the bookstore a bit later? Doesn't the UCSD bookstore close at like 6 on Friday though? are they going to stay open later next Friday for this?

pandashark
Oct 19, 2007, 06:37 PM
oh wait never mind...their site says they are having a rollout party there next Friday, 6-9pm :)

http://bookstore.ucsd.edu/computers/index.htm

pangit
Oct 20, 2007, 06:57 AM

Why go to UTC?

do you have to pre-order it? can i just go there and buy a copy with cash?

liverbomb88
Oct 21, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm sure greenbacks are still legal tender in the Ivory Tower we call UCSD, but don't know how many copies they will have on-hand.

Bookstore said that they won't be getting shipment in until Fri afternoon (having to do with the whole Apple secrecy thing...), so if anything screws up that shipment (like FIRE), we who prepaid are SOL.

do you have to pre-order it? can i just go there and buy a copy with cash?

kgarchar
Oct 21, 2007, 07:54 PM
kind of really off topic but i guess this would be a good place to find out info

I'm moving to san diego in january, and I need a place to rent with my max being $1200 in the la jolla area (west of 5 in La Jolla)

anyone want to point me in a good direction/apartment complex?

Turboedtwo
Oct 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
I might hit up the UTC or the Mission Valley one. Haven't decided yet..

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 21, 2007, 08:55 PM
I'm sure greenbacks are still legal tender in the Ivory Tower we call UCSD, but don't know how many copies they will have on-hand.

Bookstore said that they won't be getting shipment in until Fri afternoon (having to do with the whole Apple secrecy thing...), so if anything screws up that shipment (like FIRE), we who prepaid are SOL.

I'm sure they'll have enough if they're having a release party in Perks.

kind of really off topic but i guess this would be a good place to find out info

I'm moving to san diego in january, and I need a place to rent with my max being $1200 in the la jolla area (west of 5 in La Jolla)

anyone want to point me in a good direction/apartment complex?

My friend lives in the Archstone apartment area, where Villa La Jolla (or is it La Jolla Village? I still get confused) and Gilman intersect; he and his roommates pay around $1150 for a 2-bedroom apartment. IIRC.

pangit
Oct 22, 2007, 10:40 PM
first and foremost, i hope everyone is safe in the sd area. secondly, i hope that the shipments of leopard will be ok going to sd >.< its getting kinda hectic in sd right now with all the fires and evacuations.

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 23, 2007, 01:56 AM
first and foremost, i hope everyone is safe in the sd area. secondly, i hope that the shipments of leopard will be ok going to sd >.< its getting kinda hectic in sd right now with all the fires and evacuations.

As long as they don't evac UTC...

From the looks of it, though, UCSD should be safe at least until Wednesday. Kinda sucks for those that are already displaced, though. I love college already. -___-

UbuntuFu
Oct 23, 2007, 11:50 AM
Otay Ranch location is the closest to the fires. I can't imagine the store opening at 6pm to sell OS X Leopard.

As for UTC and Fashion Valley, I'm sure they will open but the mood will probably be somber.

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
Otay Ranch location is the closest to the fires. I can't imagine the store opening at 6pm to sell OS X Leopard.

As for UTC and Fashion Valley, I'm sure they will open but the mood will probably be somber.

I'd hope they stay ope. My friends and I really need some sort of diversion. >.<

aznguy2772
Oct 23, 2007, 09:04 PM
Crud, the UCSD Bookstore is closed until at least Monday. That means I have to hold off. Damn!

pangit
Oct 24, 2007, 12:29 AM
Crud, the UCSD Bookstore is closed until at least Monday. That means I have to hold off. Damn!

damnit! i heard that classes were cancelled for the rest of the week but i didnt think the whole school will be closed :mad: gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

liverbomb88
Oct 24, 2007, 11:34 AM
Things are starting to clear up around La Jolla area, including the air quality, so maybe there's a chance the bookstore will open before the weekend. It'll depend on how geeky-motivated the bookstore's computer section employees are.

I guess for those who must have Leopard before the weekend, you can always buy it from the Apple store on Fri, then return your unopened box picked up from the bookstore whenever it reopens (as long as it is not stamped "Academic version").

pandashark
Oct 24, 2007, 06:03 PM
so i'm wondering too if we can get it friday ( I am preordered at UCSD bookstore). I had to go to UTC apple store yesterday to pick up my repair...but they closed the store early (130pm)...and i dunno if they're even open today. I got there about 115, and they almost didn't let me in because they had closed doors already! anyway, i don't know if that store is even open (or any others?) because a lot of places can't get employees in due to evacs and/or general chaos.

If you visit http://bookstore.ucsd.edu, it still shows that they're having a release party Friday night. But campus is closed this week (at least classes have been cancelled this week)...so i dunno...

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
so i'm wondering too if we can get it friday ( I am preordered at UCSD bookstore). I had to go to UTC apple store yesterday to pick up my repair...but they closed the store early (130pm)...and i dunno if they're even open today. I got there about 115, and they almost didn't let me in because they had closed doors already! anyway, i don't know if that store is even open (or any others?) because a lot of places can't get employees in due to evacs and/or general chaos.

If you visit http://bookstore.ucsd.edu, it still shows that they're having a release party Friday night. But campus is closed this week (at least classes have been cancelled this week)...so i dunno...

They were open until 6 today.

pandashark
Oct 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
what was open until 6, UTC or UCSD bookstore?

so I tried calling the UCSD bookstore, and didn't get an answer...does anyone know if they will open?

powerbook911
Oct 26, 2007, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know how bad the lines get for the OS releases in San Diego like with Tiger how was it?

I pre-ordered, but it seems a lot of people who pre-ordered in san diego won't be getting it. weather delayed the plane from Indianapolis or something.

pandashark
Oct 26, 2007, 01:54 PM
I can't say, I bought my first Mac about four months ago...

The airport has been working fine in San Diego...although evacuated areas may be a problem (they're only allowing residents back in at some locations, I think?)

Apple a Day
Oct 26, 2007, 02:48 PM
I go to USD. My bookstore is closed till Monday and I called UCSD and I never reached anyone. I am dying here to get my copy!!!!

liverbomb88
Oct 26, 2007, 03:04 PM
UCSD bookstore's main number contains a recorded message from Mon stating they will be closed until further notice. The fact that the message is still up today virtually guarantees those of us who preordered Leopard will have to wait until next week to get it. No smoke smell in the air for the past two days, and active fire is now out in BFE. Interestingly, RIMAC is open.:confused:

FreeState
Oct 26, 2007, 03:13 PM

FedEx wont deliver it. I got an email and just got off the phone with them - they lost my order. So its off to Fashion Valley for me...

mc68k
Oct 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
ill be wearing a xlr8yourmac.com tshirt if anyones looking

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 26, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'll be there with a Deviant Art hat, a blue shirt, and black shorts. And glasses. And a UCSD lanyard clipped to my belt loop.

what was open until 6, UTC or UCSD bookstore?

so I tried calling the UCSD bookstore, and didn't get an answer...does anyone know if they will open?

UTC. UCSD bookstore is all dim and dark.

liverbomb88
Oct 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
Looks like the bookstore is opening back up on Sun. I'd call first to see if they even have Leopard before trekking down there, because I'm presuming no one was working today to take delivery of their shipment.:mad:

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 26, 2007, 11:23 PM
I've got my Leopard installed! AND IT IS AWESOME.

liverbomb88
Oct 26, 2007, 11:32 PM
Did you get a free t-shirt (Apple Store) or a stuffed leopard (Fry's)? Anyone take any pictures at the UTC location? How long was the line?

I've got my Leopard installed! AND IT IS AWESOME.

pandashark
Oct 27, 2007, 03:29 AM
well all right, i'll check back sunday, but i'll be on campus monday for sure...I never bothered swinging by campus, but I did go to fashion valley and get a tshirt :)

butterfly0fdoom
Oct 27, 2007, 02:41 PM
Did you get a free t-shirt (Apple Store) or a stuffed leopard (Fry's)? Anyone take any pictures at the UTC location? How long was the line?

I got a t-shirt. I've got pictures, too, but they're on Facebook, so you'd kinda need an account to see the pictures.

The line was pretty damn long, too. When we left the store (we were 8th-13th in line, give or take). the line had stretched to Express, and that was after having let quite a few people into the store.

JonD
Oct 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
My friend lives in the Archstone apartment area, where Villa La Jolla (or is it La Jolla Village? I still get confused) and Gilman intersect; he and his roommates pay around $1150 for a 2-bedroom apartment. IIRC.

Off-topic, but I live in Archstone here as well. $1795/month for 2 bedroom, so it comes to around ~$950/mo for each of us with utilities and such. Not bad.

Also, UCSD Bookstore is closed until Sunday :( I went last night with my roommate only to end up disappointed. We then went to UTC but they wouldn't give us the $69 price at the Apple Store there, so screw it, we're waiting until Sunday.

liverbomb88
Oct 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
For the sake of my sanity, I sure hope someone from the bookstore was present to sign for their shipment of Leopard. Otherwise, we may have to wait until Tues for our copies.

Yay! Rain! Should wash away some of the ashes!

Also, UCSD Bookstore is closed until Sunday :( I went last night with my roommate only to end up disappointed. We then went to UTC but they wouldn't give us the $69 price at the Apple Store there, so screw it, we're waiting until Sunday.

UbuntuFu
Oct 27, 2007, 06:53 PM
Shipment usually comes to a central receiving facility on Trade street. They probably have the shipment at this facility. On Monday morning it will be delivered to the bookstore.
:apple:
I still have to prep my macbook for a clean install. I have some apps like ClearDock that I think will cause it to mess up so I don't mind waiting a few more days.

For the sake of my sanity, I sure hope someone from the bookstore was present to sign for their shipment of Leopard. Otherwise, we may have to wait until Tues for our copies.

Yay! Rain! Should wash away some of the ashes!

liverbomb88
Oct 29, 2007, 08:11 PM
Finally! The copies are here! Plenty left on the shelf, too. MB021Z/A Mac OS X v10.5 RETAIL. One of these days, before I die, I want to record Marvin saying, "Enough is enough! I've had it with these m******* snakes on this m******* plane!!!" :p

kgarchar
Oct 29, 2007, 10:37 PM
Off-topic, but I live in Archstone here as well. $1795/month for 2 bedroom, so it comes to around ~$950/mo for each of us with utilities and such. Not bad.Hey thanks! That's one of the places that I've been looking into. I'd like to get a roommate and help save some money, but the girlfriend isn't so into that. That place looks really nice though.