PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City, UT

hadleydb
Oct 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
Of course we only have one at the Gateway. Anyone going? :)

gusapple
Oct 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking about it, how many people do you think will be there? Will other places have it at 6:30?:confused:

hadleydb
Oct 17, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm thinking about it, how many people do you think will be there? Will other places have it at 6:30?:confused:

I'm not sure how many people will be there. It is usually packed whenever I go though. CompUSA and ExperCom usually have OSX launch events. I've been to the CompUSA one for years now, but now that we have an Apple Store I want to see what an Apple event is like.

thebassoonist
Oct 17, 2007, 07:30 PM
Woohoo! I am there! Need to track down a leopard print scarf! :D

hadleydb
Oct 17, 2007, 11:09 PM
Woohoo! I am there! Need to track down a leopard print scarf! :D

LOL I thought about wearing a leopard costume... It is close to halloween and everything

gusapple
Oct 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
Can somebody please get a Leopard....? Whatever? I cannot be at the Apple Store because.... Ugh, I signed up for service. Why? Why do Halloween conventions where you give out candy exist? Well, I guess that I will pre-order..... :(

hadleydb
Oct 18, 2007, 03:53 PM
Can somebody please get a Leopard....? Whatever? I cannot be at the Apple Store because.... Ugh, I signed up for service. Why? Why do Halloween conventions where you give out candy exist? Well, I guess that I will pre-order..... :(

That sucks! If I bring someone with me maybe I can score you a Leopard T-shirt. If I get there in time. :apple:

thebassoonist
Oct 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
So, I went to Target today and got myself a leopard print headband! Woot! Keep the ears nice and toasty in line! :D

gusapple
Oct 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
That sucks! If I bring someone with me maybe I can score you a Leopard T-shirt. If I get there in time. :apple:

THANK YOU! But, if you do happen to get it, I have a pretty sweet Apple Store at the Gateway shirt that I have never used I might be willing to trade.... Possibly...

CANEHDN
Oct 18, 2007, 11:58 PM
I'm planning on being there. I've already told my boss I'm leaving work early to make sure I make it there in time.

macguitarhero
Oct 19, 2007, 12:12 AM
Even though it's not an Apple store, the BYU Bookstore is still an authorized reseller and will have a Leopard launch party. I work for the School of Technology and my boss just got an email today that announced that the BYU Bookstore is going to be throwing a Leopard launch party starting at 4PM. Of course, you wouldn't be able to actually buy and leave the store with Leopard until after 6, but I'm sure there's going to be some fun festivities there. That's most likely where I will be for the launch. Also, BYU education discount to all you students!! Leopard is only going to be $99 for the single license at the Bookstore. Family will still be the same price, but if you only need the single, get your educational discount!

hadleydb
Oct 19, 2007, 12:35 AM
THANK YOU! But, if you do happen to get it, I have a pretty sweet Apple Store at the Gateway shirt that I have never used I might be willing to trade.... Possibly...

If I can get an extra (that is if I can get my wife to go) no trade necessary. I can't promise anything though but I will try. :)

thebassoonist
Oct 19, 2007, 12:44 AM
Even though it's not an Apple store, the BYU Bookstore is still an authorized reseller and will have a Leopard launch party. I work for the School of Technology and my boss just got an email today that announced that the BYU Bookstore is going to be throwing a Leopard launch party starting at 4PM. Of course, you wouldn't be able to actually buy and leave the store with Leopard until after 6, but I'm sure there's going to be some fun festivities there. That's most likely where I will be for the launch. Also, BYU education discount to all you students!! Leopard is only going to be $99 for the single license at the Bookstore. Family will still be the same price, but if you only need the single, get your educational discount!

That's sweet! I wish the U would do that! Wow... I never thought I would envy BYU students before. The day has come.

:D

trussrules
Oct 19, 2007, 08:11 AM
What time are you guys planning on showing up? I don't want to show up at too early.

P-Worm
Oct 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know if the University of Utah is offering a student discount? I'm going up there today so I can find out if anyone's interested.

P-Worm

CANEHDN
Oct 19, 2007, 09:19 AM
I'm sure the U will sell it. They sell Macs at education pricing. I don't think I'll drive down to Utah County to save $20. I'm planning on showing up at about 5:30p.

aranhamo
Oct 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know if the University of Utah is offering a student discount? I'm going up there today so I can find out if anyone's interested.

P-Worm

When I called the bookstore at the U, they said they'll be selling Leopard for $116, just like the online Apple Store for Education.

P-Worm
Oct 19, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm in the U's bookstore right now. They have a sign that says preorder Leopard for $69. So I guess I'm not going to be at the Apple Store.

P-Worm

CANEHDN
Oct 19, 2007, 05:38 PM
Do you know if the U will have copies available on the 26th? And if any students can get them from there or just U students.

thebassoonist
Oct 19, 2007, 05:53 PM
I'm in the U's bookstore right now. They have a sign that says preorder Leopard for $69. So I guess I'm not going to be at the Apple Store.

P-Worm

Sweetness!

hadleydb
Oct 19, 2007, 08:17 PM
Do you know if the U will have copies available on the 26th? And if any students can get them from there or just U students.

Yes I'm interested in this as well. I'm a part time student and I go to Weber. I guess I could call Weber and see how much and if they are going to have it as well.

CANEHDN
Oct 19, 2007, 10:07 PM
I go to ITT and I know they won't offer any discounts.

P-Worm
Oct 19, 2007, 11:59 PM
I preordered it from the bookstore and they told I'd that I can
pick up my copy at 6:00 like everyone else. I don't know f that is only true for those who have preordered or not.

As for whether you need to be a U student to get the discont or just he a student, I don't know. If I remeber correctly they have carded me in the past when I bought some software from them. They didn't have me pay up front so I don't know what their plans are. Will I see anyone at the bookstore when it comes out?

P-Worm

thebassoonist
Oct 20, 2007, 01:57 AM
I preordered it from the bookstore and they told I'd that I can
pick up my copy at 6:00 like everyone else. I don't know f that is only true for those who have preordered or not.

As for whether you need to be a U student to get the discont or just he a student, I don't know. If I remeber correctly they have carded me in the past when I bought some software from them. They didn't have me pay up front so I don't know what their plans are. Will I see anyone at the bookstore when it comes out?

P-Worm

If the weather is horrible, then you might see me! :D

CANEHDN
Oct 20, 2007, 09:18 AM
I guess I'll still be going to the Apple store. I don't want to show up at the U and find out they won't let me get it cause I'm not a U student. Oh well, it's only money right.

gusapple
Oct 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
Oh no you guys! I was checking up the Weather Channel .com and it looks like you guys might be in for some rain.
http://geocities.com/gusapple92/frithe26.tiff
Luckily, I happen to know that they are going to most likely be wrong. It will either be raining like crazy and cold, or warm and sunny. I hope it's the ladder!:)

CANEHDN
Oct 20, 2007, 12:57 PM
At least I will only hang out for a bit then take off. I want to get Leopard on my systems ASAP. And plus, that's what coats are for. But you're right about one thing. They will be wrong. They're always wrong.

AppleWoW
Oct 20, 2007, 01:57 PM
Leaving school at 2:05 and gonna be at the gateway all day with my camera and some cash to get in on this sweet event!

CANEHDN
Oct 20, 2007, 03:51 PM
Wow. You're going to be there early.

P-Worm
Oct 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
I guess I'll still be going to the Apple store. I don't want to show up at the U and find out they won't let me get it cause I'm not a U student. Oh well, it's only money right.

You should give them a call just to see. You might FET lucky and they will let you buy it.

P-Worm

CANEHDN
Oct 20, 2007, 08:04 PM
Maybe I will. I could also go with my father-in-law. He's an instructor there.

AppleWoW
Oct 20, 2007, 11:20 PM
Maybe I will. I could also go with my father-in-law. He's an instructor there.

If you could get him to buy it you could get it cheeper.

imfrog2002
Oct 21, 2007, 12:14 AM
I was planning on being there, then I realized that I can't afford it. That's okay. One of the programs that I specifically got a mac for still hasn't been edited for Leopard, and it's confirmed not to work. I guess that gives both of us time. :) I might stop by just for fun, depending on if I have any free time.

SeVeN
Oct 21, 2007, 12:18 AM
rain wont stop me...
:apple:

CANEHDN
Oct 21, 2007, 11:24 AM
rain wont stop me...
:apple:

Nor will sleet,snow,or wind.

minkylives
Oct 21, 2007, 08:39 PM
I'm there for sure. I got it off work so I can be in the "event".

The most compelling new feature of Leopard to me is the notes and to-do's in Mail. Time machine rocks, but I don't lose files all that often. DashCode seems really cool as well, but with having tabs in Safari and with video being such a staple to website news i don't think i'll use it very much. Stacks seems pretty compelling as well.

Any news or sneak peaks you guys have heard of that aren't included in the keynote or the guided tour?

mduser63
Oct 21, 2007, 11:24 PM
Surprised at how large this thread has grown is after having only been away from MacRumors for 4 days. I'm no longer a student, so no discount for me (but the extra money from having a real job makes up for it :p), and a free t-shirt sounds good, so Apple Store it is. Anyway, I'm not taking work off or anything, but I plan to head down there after I get off work at 5:00. I'm not going to stick around though. As soon as I get Leopard, I'll be headed home to install it and waste the night playing around with it :D. I'm most excited about the new developer features and XCode 3, but I'm sure Spaces, Time Machine and the general UI enhancements will quickly become things that I can't live without, just like Exposé and Spotlight did.

gusapple
Oct 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
.....Any news or sneak peaks you guys have heard of that aren't included in the keynote or the guided tour?

I think that what you see is what you get now, sorry. I wish that there would be some amazing feature, but there is a great unlikeliness to that. To bad...:(

gryypyn
Oct 22, 2007, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure how many people will be there. It is usually packed whenever I go though. CompUSA and ExperCom usually have OSX launch events. I've been to the CompUSA one for years now, but now that we have an Apple Store I want to see what an Apple event is like.

According to the Gateway Apple Store people there's not going to be an event. They're closing all of the stores from 1600-1800 hrs to prep for the launch but they're not going to have any specific events. I'm still going to be down there. I'm thinking that they'll have the floor models re-imaged with Leopard for when the store opens back up and I'd like to be one of the first to play with it (on an iMac 24" of course... ^_^).

Gryyphyn, out.

gryypyn
Oct 22, 2007, 07:24 AM
I'm hoping to be there ~1630. See yall's there!

CANEHDN
Oct 22, 2007, 09:39 AM
Looks like I'll be there at about 5:30p. Has anyone ever been to a new release at the Gateway store? Are there a lot of Apple fans that show up?

mduser63
Oct 22, 2007, 10:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

This is the first new OS X release since the Gateway store opened in 2005. Both the grand opening and the iPhone launch were well attended (hundreds of people). I don't really know how many people will show up for Leopard, but I sort of think it will be less than the huge number that were there for the iPhone.

hadleydb
Oct 22, 2007, 10:49 AM
According to the Gateway Apple Store people there's not going to be an event. They're closing all of the stores from 1600-1800 hrs to prep for the launch but they're not going to have any specific events. I'm still going to be down there. I'm thinking that they'll have the floor models re-imaged with Leopard for when the store opens back up and I'd like to be one of the first to play with it (on an iMac 24" of course... ^_^).

Gryyphyn, out.

So there isn't going to be sparklers shooting out of a Leopard's ears? Or people dancing in Leopard skin clothing? DOH! J/K :p

I just can't wait to get my hands on Leopard and get it back home to install.
This will be better than the previous years at CompUSA anyway. :)

See ya there Gryyphyn!

thebassoonist
Oct 22, 2007, 05:21 PM
Found out that the U of U is having no-tax day tomorrow! So I am going to pick up my new MBP tomorrow. They also are giving people who buy tomorrow a free copy of Leopard. Just bring your receipt after 6 pm on Friday!

CANEHDN
Oct 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
I just got permission from the Mrs. to get iLife '08 and iWork '08 with Leopard. Friday night will be a very exciting day.

SeVeN
Oct 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
Lucky bastard. :apple:

hadleydb
Oct 22, 2007, 08:47 PM
Found out that the U of U is having no-tax day tomorrow! So I am going to pick up my new MBP tomorrow. They also are giving people who buy tomorrow a free copy of Leopard. Just bring your receipt after 6 pm on Friday!

That's awesome! That's cool your getting a MBP to replace the HP. :) I actually have a Macbook and my wife has an HP. I've tried to get her to switch but a no go.

minkylives
Oct 23, 2007, 01:36 AM
so does xcode come with leopard? and can it be used by non-code writters? or is it an additional app?

thebassoonist
Oct 23, 2007, 01:40 AM
That's awesome! That's cool your getting a MBP to replace the HP. :) I actually have a Macbook and my wife has an HP. I've tried to get her to switch but a no go.

My HP has been nothing but problems! In fact, I have waited way too long to replace it. It randomly flashes the blue screen of death and sometimes just shuts down. Ugh, I can't wait to be rid of it tomorrow! I've had much better luck with Macs. In fact, my first computer was a Powerbook 100 (hand-me-down). It was so much fun.

hadleydb
Oct 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
My HP has been nothing but problems! In fact, I have waited way too long to replace it. It randomly flashes the blue screen of death and sometimes just shuts down. Ugh, I can't wait to be rid of it tomorrow! I've had much better luck with Macs. In fact, my first computer was a Powerbook 100 (hand-me-down). It was so much fun.

Yeah my wife's HP has strange things happen like the screen will just go black for no reason. I've never had a problem with my Mac's though. From time to time I will get one with a slight problem, but its always a quick fix. Never a major issue. Well congrats on the new MBP!!!

thebassoonist
Oct 23, 2007, 11:18 AM
Yeah my wife's HP has strange things happen like the screen will just go black for no reason. I've never had a problem with my Mac's though. From time to time I will get one with a slight problem, but its always a quick fix. Never a major issue. Well congrats on the new MBP!!!

I'm typing on it as I... type! It is amazing. I got the 2.4GHz 15" and it was on sale for $2000!!! Along with free Leopard and no sales tax. I am so ecstatic!

mduser63
Oct 23, 2007, 11:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

so does xcode come with leopard? and can it be used by non-code writters? or is it an additional app?

This is not really on topic for the thread, but yes Xcode will come with Leopard, and no it's definitely not for non-programmers.

macguitarhero
Oct 23, 2007, 03:58 PM
I am quite envious that the U has more users who read macrumors, seeing as no other BYU students besides myself has come forward to say anything about a get together down in Provo. Seems to be a lot of U students, though. So I'm jealous of that.

But, the good news down south here is that me and my friends converted to Macs back last november and have made many converts since then (close to 10 now or so). PLUS! The computer science department added an entire Mac lab! That let me show those know it all CS nerds that Macs are useful for programming too.

gusapple
Oct 23, 2007, 05:33 PM
Wow, I guess that the people in Utah have the most excitement over getting Leopard, this is the largest meet-up thread.:D

SeVeN
Oct 23, 2007, 05:42 PM
yup, the only 3 page thread. just think about all the people who arent MR users. wonder how crowded its gonna be

isaac17
Oct 23, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'm in AF and don't really feel like driving to salt lake for the apple event. Does anyone know if BYU bookstore sells the family pack with a discount?

CANEHDN
Oct 23, 2007, 06:52 PM
I hope it's not too crowded to the point that I don't get a t-shirt.

utahoboe
Oct 23, 2007, 07:12 PM
i pre-ordered from Amazon, but I might stop by Gateway just to see what an Apple Store event is like...:cool:

hadleydb
Oct 23, 2007, 11:21 PM
Wow, I guess that the people in Utah have the most excitement over getting Leopard, this is the largest meet-up thread.:D

Woot! For once in my life I started a thread with more than 2 posts!!! :D

CANEHDN
Oct 24, 2007, 09:29 AM
Only 2 more sleeps!!

So who exactly is going to the Gateway? I will be.

hadleydb
Oct 24, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm going!!! :D Must have Leopard... Must have Leopard...

klymr
Oct 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
I was told that the bookstore at USU is selling it for $69 also. I need to confirm this before too long. I have no money to get Leopard though, sadly. I think I'm the only MR user up here in Logan. There are a lot more users in Utah than I would have ever guessed though. You people are crawling outta the woodworks.

I think the reason we are at 3 pages is because a few people are mutli-posting, which goes to show we are the most active group on here. :p

hadleydb
Oct 24, 2007, 02:19 PM
I was told that the bookstore at USU is selling it for $69 also. I need to confirm this before too long. I have no money to get Leopard though, sadly. I think I'm the only MR user up here in Logan. There are a lot more users in Utah than I would have ever guessed though. You people are crawling outta the woodworks.

I think the reason we are at 3 pages is because a few people are mutli-posting, which goes to show we are the most active group on here. :p

Me multi-post? No... lol :p

klymr
Oct 24, 2007, 03:58 PM
Me multi-post? No... lol :p

Not ever!

stoutboy1
Oct 24, 2007, 04:05 PM
What about us poor students that don't go to a big university (yet) Is the UVSC book store going to be selling them Friday? Man $69 would be sweet I thought that was faculty only. I hope they have some time of substantial discount.:D

AppleWoW
Oct 24, 2007, 05:46 PM
I will be there :)

MacRider1
Oct 24, 2007, 06:39 PM
DON'T MEAN TO PULL SOME OF THE THUNDER

I have read a few asking if something is going on at BYU and yes they is, it is going to start a 5 pm and go till about 7 or 8 when it dies down

The cost will be 99$ for students BYU, UVSC and even those from the U :)

Several are planning to attend the BYUMUG (http://mac.byu.edu/2007/10/23/byumug-meeting-this-friday-102607-leopard-launch-party/) will be in force.

And Yes Family Pack are going to be available

hadleydb
Oct 24, 2007, 11:21 PM
DON'T MEAN TO PULL SOME OF THE THUNDER

I have read a few asking if something is going on at BYU and yes they is, it is going to start a 5 pm and go till about 7 or 8 when it dies down

The cost will be 99$ for students BYU, UVSC and even those from the U :)

Several are planning to attend the BYUMUG (http://mac.byu.edu/2007/10/23/byumug-meeting-this-friday-102607-leopard-launch-party/) will be in force.

And Yes Family Pack are going to be available

Sounds like an awesome time!:D

weewee
Oct 25, 2007, 02:24 AM
why is BYU charging $30 more than the U? its weird how the schools vary in their academic pricing.

gusapple
Oct 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
why is BYU charging $30 more than the U? its weird how the schools vary in their academic pricing.

It's obviously the "Grit-Iron Holy War" on Leopard pricing!:p

EDIT: I know it's kinda exiting, but hold in your screams, we have less than 24 hours until Leopard!

imfrog2002
Oct 25, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yes! I can't wait for it! I can't buy it but I'll be at the event to check out some of the cool new features (and to get the Leopard T-Shirt) See you all there!

thebassoonist
Oct 25, 2007, 10:46 PM
The people at the U told me that there would be a tent outside for people to buy Leopard! Sounds like there might be some festivities!

yoyon8
Oct 25, 2007, 10:48 PM
I need a new iMac. Will I get a T shirt too?

gusapple
Oct 25, 2007, 10:55 PM
I need a new iMac. Will I get a T shirt too?

I'm guessing if you are within the first 500 people you will. That would be my bet.

yoyon8
Oct 25, 2007, 11:29 PM
I'm typing on it as I... type! It is amazing. I got the 2.4GHz 15" and it was on sale for $2000!!! Along with free Leopard and no sales tax. I am so ecstatic!

No taxes? Where and why. I want... I need one machine and plan on purchase tomorrow.

CANEHDN
Oct 26, 2007, 12:13 AM
No taxes? Where and why. I want... I need one machine and plan on purchase tomorrow.

I think one of the schools, the U or BYU are having a no tax day.

mozmac
Oct 26, 2007, 12:15 AM
I am quite envious that the U has more users who read macrumors, seeing as no other BYU students besides myself has come forward to say anything about a get together down in Provo. Seems to be a lot of U students, though. So I'm jealous of that.

But, the good news down south here is that me and my friends converted to Macs back last november and have made many converts since then (close to 10 now or so). PLUS! The computer science department added an entire Mac lab! That let me show those know it all CS nerds that Macs are useful for programming too.

I would love to meet up in Provo, I was at the BYU bookstore for the Tiger launch in April 2005. However, I am DJing a stake activity that night and have to leave no later than 6:30pm. Parking on campus sucks, so I just won't be there for it. Total bummer, though, cause I'd love to meet other MacRumors.

imfrog2002
Oct 26, 2007, 03:38 PM
Just wondering (before I wait in line for an hour) do you have to actually BUY Leopard to get the T-shirt? I WANT Leopard, but I don't have the money now. Will I still get the T-Shirt, or is that unknown? Some places, I hear it's if you buy Leopard, other places say it's if your one of the first 500 VISITORS. I don't consider visitors the same as customers. Just wondering, thanks!

aranhamo
Oct 26, 2007, 04:40 PM
I can't go because I have to take my kids to the Night of the Living Zoo up at Hogle Zoo.

When I was doing CS at the U, pretty much everybody from professors to students was very much pro-Mac (though the CS department had no Macs in our labs).

aranhamo
Oct 26, 2007, 05:53 PM
So my wife is doing independent study at the Y, and the U bookstore says she qualifies for the discount, so we're going over tomorrow to get Leopard at the U.

What I don't get is the U is selling it for $69, regular, normal price.

At the Y, it's $99 today and $116 thereafter. What gives?

reo5th
Oct 26, 2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.medi-fridge.com/photo1.jpg
http://www.medi-fridge.com/photo2.jpg
http://www.medi-fridge.com/photo3.jpg
http://www.medi-fridge.com/photo4.jpg
http://www.medi-fridge.com/photo5.jpg
http://www.medi-fridge.com/photo6.jpg

mduser63
Oct 26, 2007, 07:50 PM
Didn't meet any MacRumors members, but I met some other interesting people in line. Anyway, about to install Leopard, then I'll post some pictures I took.

imfrog2002
Oct 26, 2007, 08:13 PM
I was there, a ways back. I got the T-Shirt! I was waiting for about 15 minutes after 6 to get in. A friend got it, but I was just there to browse. Looks amazing. I can't wait to get it!

CANEHDN
Oct 26, 2007, 08:26 PM
I got my shirt. I actually got 4 shirts. Me, my wife, and my two kids. That line was huge. Now that I have my iLife, iWork, and Leopard. I will be installing. I didn't meet any other Macrumor members either.

mduser63
Oct 26, 2007, 08:44 PM

Ugh, the Leopard installer apparently can't see my hard drive. It says "pick a destination" but there are no available destinations to click. Startup Disk on the Leopard disk doesn't see my boot drive either, nor will disk utility let me verify/repair it. Booted back into Tiger to repair permissions now...

CANEHDN
Oct 26, 2007, 09:27 PM

Ugh, the Leopard installer apparently can't see my hard drive. It says "pick a destination" but there are no available destinations to click. Startup Disk on the Leopard disk doesn't see my boot drive either, nor will disk utility let me verify/repair it. Booted back into Tiger to repair permissions now...

I hope that works. I've just installed Leopard and XCode. I'm now installing iWork. Everything works so far.

mduser63
Oct 26, 2007, 10:14 PM
Leopard says it has 1 minute left in the install :D. Here are a few of the pictures I took tonight at the Gateway:

hadleydb
Oct 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
Well all of my pictures were horrible that I took. Here is yet another blurry one. Thanks to the Hannah Montana concert I didn't arrive until 6:30. But I am installing Leopard soon!!!:D

Oh and Gusapple I scored you a shirt. My brother went with me and didn't want it :)

http://www.outcryproductions.com/SLCapple.jpg

jdylan
Oct 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
Look, I am a long-time Mac user, grew up with an Apple IIe in high school, used them all my life, and I am happy that OS X.5 is being released, but people waiting in line at a mall? Are these the same people who waited for days to get an iPhone, not realizing you could walk in any Apple Store the next day and pick one up? I ordered my OS X disc from Amazon for $109 (cheaper than the Apple Store) and it will get here in a few days. Sorry, I just never understood the mentality to stand outside a store for something as boring as an operating system. I mean, is Leopard going to change your life or something? I waited to get into clubs, the Vatican museum, the Eiffel Tower.... but waiting in line to get an upgrade to an operating system that is already great? Come on people...it isn't like it isn't going to be there tomorrow.

imfrog2002
Oct 26, 2007, 11:55 PM
Had a blast. I was in the middle of the line on the path bank. Right where that FREEZING breeze was blowing, and I forgot my jacket. Here's a horrible picture that I took with my cell of the inside of the Apple Store. VERY crazy. I can't believe how crowded it was there. Didn't buy, just looked, and I can't wait until a fairly stable version comes out so that I can get it.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4226/image000ol7.jpg

mduser63
Oct 27, 2007, 12:18 AM
Look, I am a long-time Mac user, grew up with an Apple IIe in high school, used them all my life, and I am happy that OS X.5 is being released, but people waiting in line at a mall? Are these the same people who waited for days to get an iPhone, not realizing you could walk in any Apple Store the next day and pick one up? I ordered my OS X disc from Amazon for $109 (cheaper than the Apple Store) and it will get here in a few days. Sorry, I just never understood the mentality to stand outside a store for something as boring as an operating system. I mean, is Leopard going to change your life or something? I waited to get into clubs, the Vatican museum, the Eiffel Tower.... but waiting in line to get an upgrade to an operating system that is already great? Come on people...it isn't like it isn't going to be there tomorrow.

It's just something fun. It's not like I spent all day at it. I went down there after work, got there at 5:30 and was in my car with Leopard and a T-Shirt in hand on the way home before 6:30. In the meantime, I met some new people and enjoyed talking with them. Got to come home and am having fun playing around with the new stuff in Leopard. Why do you care so much what other people do for fun? There are plenty of things that people do for fun that I simply don't understand (like watch pro sports), but I don't think it's my place to criticize them for it.

thebassoonist
Oct 27, 2007, 02:47 AM

It was only on the 23rd (and only for Apple products). I don't know why, but they had my computer on sale (which was really sweet). Maybe Apple is phasing this model out? I don't know, but I was happy!

thebassoonist
Oct 27, 2007, 02:50 AM
It's just something fun. It's not like I spent all day at it. I went down there after work, got there at 5:30 and was in my car with Leopard and a T-Shirt in hand on the way home before 6:30. In the meantime, I met some new people and enjoyed talking with them. Got to come home and am having fun playing around with the new stuff in Leopard. Why do you care so much what other people do for fun? There are plenty of things that people do for fun that I simply don't understand (like watch pro sports), but I don't think it's my place to criticize them for it.

After checking out the pictures, I wish I had come! It looks like fun!

jdylan
Oct 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
It's just something fun. It's not like I spent all day at it.

Well, don't get me wrong, but I just think standing outside in a line to get an operating system DVD is the epitome of geekiness. And I am a geek. I am in the MUG in my region, so I am not adverse to being a geek. But you aren't going to see me standing in a line to get a T-shirt, and then not even buy the dvd anyway! Sorry, but it just makes me think about how boring one's life must be if this is what one does for fun.

weewee
Oct 27, 2007, 02:09 PM

oh give me a break. ive been to the vatican/paris/many more places multiple times. how long did you have to wait in line at the eiffel tower? 2-3 hours? vatican was ok but my life didnt change because i went in there. neither did the eiffel tower crammed with all the other tourists. after visiting so many churches/cathedrals they pretty much all look the same. and im not even religious. and if youre in qatar, and complain of how things like this are boring... qatar is the epitome of boring! i was only there for 5 days thank god. but maybe thats just me.

hadleydb
Oct 27, 2007, 04:17 PM
I was clear to the back of the line and probably only waited 10 minutes. They were moving people in fast. So it wasn't like we were there for 1-2 hours waiting. It was fun and I got to talk to people.

princealfie
Oct 27, 2007, 11:54 PM
I was there... and I got my free t-shirt :)... of course I will pick up leopard in a few weeks :)

aranhamo
Oct 29, 2007, 12:58 PM
So my wife is doing independent study at the Y, and the U bookstore says she qualifies for the discount, so we're going over tomorrow to get Leopard at the U.

What I don't get is the U is selling it for $69, regular, normal price.

At the Y, it's $99 today and $116 thereafter. What gives?

So when I got to the U bookstore on Saturday, they were sold out. :( They said they might get some more copies in next week.

klymr
Oct 30, 2007, 01:30 PM
Anyone at the "U" want to buy a copy and mail it up to the "A" for me? I just stopped in our bookstore here at USU and they are letting it go for $89. They have also got me thinking about buying a copy of Final Cut Studio for $399. Hmmm...I wish I was richer. :mad:

BTW, over 2 million copies of Leopard have been sold in less than 4 days. INSANE!!!

thebassoonist
Nov 13, 2007, 07:55 PM
Thought you guys would enjoy this! It's in today's Trib. They got the price wrong on Leopard (and Vista - for the "full" version anyway). But it's still pretty good.

Leopard vs. Vista
Goin' on a platform safari
By Vince Horiuchi
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 11/13/2007 11:30:48 AM MST

Here is a point-by-point comparison of Windows Vista and Leopard OS X.
WINDOWS VISTA
MACHINE USED
QUAD CORE INTEL processor running at 3.2 gigahertz, with 2 gigabytes of RAM, 500 GB hard drive, NVIDIA 8800 GTX graphics card and Soundblaster X-FI sound card.
COST
$159.95
for full version

INSTALLATION & SETUP
IN LATE SPRING, I bought my new computer with Vista installed, but it crashed the first minute I booted up.
I wiped the hard drive clean and used Windows XP for most of the year. I subsequently tried at least three times to install and use Vista, but the computer kept crashing because the video and sound card drivers still were not mature enough to use.
Finally, a month ago, after new versions of the drivers came out from NVIDIA and Creative Labs (which makes the Soundblaster sound card), Vista became stable.
Still, it took five attempts before I got an acceptably clean install of the operating system that weekend. Even so, it's a quick process (less than 15 minutes on a fast machine), and is less cumbersome that installing Windows XP.
But it's bloated for operating system software: It takes up 9 gigabytes
Advertisement

of hard-drive space.
STABILITY & SECURITY
WITH VIDEO AND SOUND card drivers that are fine tuned for Vista, the operating system typically runs longer than XP without crashing.
But mileage may vary. Since a Windows machine can be built with a variety of parts from different manufacturers, it's harder to keep a PC stable than a Mac (Windows has to be programmed to work with all those different manufacturer's parts).
Since my Windows machine was made with the most common parts from NVIDIA, Creative Labs and Intel, it was easier to run without hiccups. Even then, it took 11 months. Security is difficult to gauge, but Microsoft insists it's better than XP. It's easy to use Microsoft Update to install monthly patches, and the nicest addition is Windows Defender, their virus and malware detector.
LOOKS
IT'S CERTAINLY THE prettiest version of Windows, especially when you use Aero, a Windows feature that gives the desktop a glassy, soft, see-through look. But it takes a lot of computer horsepower to turn it on.
To be honest, Microsoft spent a lot of time and effort to make it look more like Apple's desktop.
FEATURES
WHEN IT COMES TO added software, Microsoft gets beat hands down.
Windows has a photo program called Windows Photo Gallery that is much like iPhoto for the Mac, but it crashed repeatedly on my computer, especially when I tried to run small videos made with my digital camera. Vista now includes Windows Media Center, an interface to play videos, DVDs, MP3s, and Internet TV. The downside is it's more cluttered than the Mac version, called Front Row. But you can use Media Center to connect to something like an Xbox 360 and watch videos, play music or view side shows on your TV. Nice touch.
Finally - and this is what can bring people to the PC - it can play games. Lots of them.
All computer games are made for the Windows platform, but only a handful are made for the Mac. Unfortunately, your games will run slower on Vista because the operating system demands more computer power. Expect to double the amount of RAM on a Vista machine over what you had on an XP computer.

LEOPARD OS X
MACHINE USED
APPLE iMAC running at 2.4 gigahertz, 2 gigabytes of RAM, 320 GB hard drive with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card.
COST
$199
for full version
INSTALLATION & SETUP
IT TOOK ABOUT 30 minutes to install, and the process is even simpler than Vista. Just insert the disc, restart the computer and install.
One of the best features for the Mac, however, involves much more complicated instructions. Boot Camp is a utility in Leopard that allows you to install Windows on part of the hard drive and use the machine as a Windows PC.
But doing so means you have to have a newer version of Windows XP with the latest patches on the disc. Trying to install an earlier version of XP could freeze the machine and force you to call Apple support.
It took 6 GB of hard-drive space to install Leopard, but only after deleting options for foreign languages.
STABILITY & SECURITY
LEOPARD IS A MORE stable operating system out of the box than Vista ever will be. There were few glitches, save for one computer freeze while working in Time Machine (more on that later).
There is no virus or malware checker in Leopard, but that's because Apple and its fans claim there are no viruses or malware floating around to pounce on Macs. Because Apple only has some 15 percent of the personal computer market, there just aren't as many hackers making viruses for Macintosh computers.
But if Apple sells more machines, that could change.
LOOKS
THE DOCK (the line of icons on the bottom of the screen), got an overhaul and now has a reflective strip. Big deal. Otherwise, you get the efficient interface that made Apple famous.
FEATURES
WHILE GREAT SOFTWARE add-ons like iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and Front Row are not included with Leopard, they are free with any Mac you buy, which is why I mention them here.
The suite of programs, called iLife, is half the reason to buy a Mac. iPhoto, the photo organizing software, is easier to use and more robust than Windows Photo Gallery. Similarly, iMovie is a much simpler way of editing videos into professional-looking short films, and Vista doesn't even include DVD burning software that allows you to create DVD menus.
Four other new features worthy of praise.
Stacks allows you to put folders of files on the Dock. Then you can click on the folder and fan out the files for easy view. A great way to keep the desktop uncluttered.
With Quick Look, you can view a file or folder without actually starting the program that reads them, saving time.
Web Clip lets you turn any part of a Web site that is updated regularly into a widget for your Dashboard. Highlight a web cartoon, for example, and it's updated and available to look at with the click of a mouse.
Finally, Time Machine is the easiest way to back up the contents of your computer without hassle or confusing interface. This involves purchasing an external hard drive, however, but turning it on takes just one click of a switch. After that, you can revive deleted files by going into Time Machine (which takes you to a swirling view of the cosmos) and clicking "restore."
Overall, Leopard is a smoother and easier way to operate a computer than Vista, thanks to a cleaner and more efficient graphical interface that any newbie can handle on their first try.
Now, if only a Mac could play "Halo."