PDA

View Full Version : OS9 on Powermac G4 MDD needed?

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 07:39 PM
I got this Powermac G4 MDD [ dual processor 867, 768ram, 80gb] for a real bargain, so i jumped on it! it came with no HDD though, i put in a spare i had and formatted it with my old panther cds. I installed OS 10.3.3 on it and its up and running, i just need to know if OS9 will be necessary, because when i press the option key i get the old OS9 selection screen.

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 07:41 PM
You don't need OS 9 unless you really want it.

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 07:48 PM
So will i always get that purple selection screen when i choose a boot disk? is there a way yo get the gray one from OSX? do i need to update anything?

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 07:50 PM
So will i always get that purple selection screen when i choose a boot disk? is there a way yo get the gray one from OSX? do i need to update anything?I'm a bit perplexed as to why your OS X installation on a clean disk would include the option for OS 9 in the boot loader.

It might be a hold over. I've never used OS 9 myself.

Did you ever have OS 9 on the disk previously?

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 08:06 PM
I got the computer without a hard drive, so when i turned it on, it showed the purple os screen with a folder and a ? [question mark]. After that i installed OSX and when the computer turns on, i get the gray apple, if i press option to get the startup selection, i get the purple screen, so that's why im confused.

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 08:08 PM
You might have installed the OS 9 driver for the partition.

You need to keep this unchecked when you erase the partition.

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
Yes i did select the OS 9 drivers for it, because i thought it might not boot up, so ill repartition and unselect that option.

Also, will i be able to use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse on the bootscreen?

ive paired them when im in OSX but i dont know if theyll work before i get in.

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
Yes i did select the OS 9 drivers for it, because i thought it might not boot up, so ill repartition and unselect that option.

Also, will i be able to use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse on the bootscreen?

ive paired them when im in OSX but i dont know if theyll work before i get in.I'd boot off of the DVD first and check that out before you erase it.

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 08:18 PM
Boot off the cds [theyre 3] and then reinstall? im sorry im confused.

Eidorian
Oct 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
Boot off the cds [theyre 3] and then reinstall? im sorry im confused.It's optical installation media. It doesn't matter what kind it is.

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 09:04 PM
i know that it doesnt make a difference if its a dvd or cd, what i dont understand is what i need to do, install OS9, run updates then delete partition and install OSX? or jsut delete my current partition and install OSX without the OS9 drivers?

yippy
Oct 17, 2007, 09:11 PM
When you hold option on boot it is supposed to take you to a purple screen where you can choose what bootable volume/OS you want to boot into. It sounds like that is what you are getting. OS 9 has nothing to do with that, it is just the Open Firmware of the motherboard. Why does it matter, just don't hold option on bootup and it should boot into OS X.

If it is not going straight to OS X, open system preferences and choose Startup Disk. Select your OS install (there will probably be only one), no need to restart.

There is no need to install OS 9 unless you have OS 9 apps you want to use.

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 09:16 PM
thanks for the info, it does go straight to OSX from the grey boot screen, only when i press the option key i get the purple screen, i guess this is, like Eldorian said, i have the OS9 drivers installed.

The main issue why i want to understand all this, is because of the firmware update you have to do on some OS9 machines in order to install OSX and because this computer will not recognize my external firewire drive, not even on the finder, my macbook doesnt have this issue, i really want my harddrive to work because i have all my apps there and i want to get leopard and use it for time machine.

Tracer
Oct 17, 2007, 09:26 PM
Nope, doesn't require OS X to be installed, however this was one of the last machines to have OS 9 'Classic' Compatibility.

I believe G5's were unable to run OS 9.

Currently running Leopard on my Dual 800MHZ G4.

Tracer

ivnds
Oct 17, 2007, 09:38 PM
Nope, doesn't require OS X to be installed, however this was one of the last machines to have OS 9 'Classic' Compatibility.

I believe G5's were unable to run OS 9.

Currently running Leopard on my Dual 800MHZ G4.

Tracer

Yes, this was the second-to-last apple computer to support os9 boot.
So my hard drive should be recognized... weird.

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 02:03 AM
i know that it doesnt make a difference if its a dvd or cd, what i dont understand is what i need to do, install OS9, run updates then delete partition and install OSX? or jsut delete my current partition and install OSX without the OS9 drivers?You don't need OS 9 anymore. You're already capable of running OS X.

The main issue why i want to understand all this, is because of the firmware update you have to do on some OS9 machines in order to install OSX and because this computer will not recognize my external firewire drive, not even on the finder, my macbook doesnt have this issue, i really want my harddrive to work because i have all my apps there and i want to get leopard and use it for time machine.Is the drive an Intel boot drive as well?

ivnds
Oct 18, 2007, 02:17 AM
yes, the External firewire drive was formatted and i installed OSX [to the harddrive] on an intel macbook. However, thats just one partition, i have 2 more on that drive.

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 09:21 AM
yes, the External firewire drive was formatted and i installed OSX [to the harddrive] on an intel macbook. However, thats just one partition, i have 2 more on that drive.The entire drive is using the GUID Partition Table. PowerPC Macs can't read it.

mchendricks
Oct 18, 2007, 09:42 AM
I have the MDD 867 as well. Originally, the computer came with OS9 and OSX 10.2. It is dual boot capable. I don't believe 10.3 included a full install of OS9, but rather introduced "Classic" emulation. It works well for most apps, but some don't work quite right. For example, Photoshop 6.0 will start, but I don't have any palettes at first. I had to quit and restart the app before everything loaded correctly. If you want true OS9, you will need to get 10.2 system disks and install OS9.

There was a firmware update. My boot ROM is 4.4.8f2. It is running 10.4.10 and I expect 10.5 to be installed sometime next weekend.

Mike

Kosh66
Oct 18, 2007, 10:45 AM
The entire drive is using the GUID Partition Table. PowerPC Macs can't read it.

Interesting, I didn't know that, but Apple does note that http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220

ivnds
Oct 18, 2007, 01:36 PM
The entire drive is using the GUID Partition Table. PowerPC Macs can't read it.

Well that really sucks! So i would need to reformat my hard drive to work with the g4 but then i would loose read/write to the intel one?

on the link kosh66 mentions, apple states the following "You can still use such disks for other storage purposes, swapping the disk back and forth between Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs if desired."

So now im confused. Oh, And sorry if i havent made things clear of what i plan to do with the computer. I don't want OS9, i don't need any OS9 apps, i just wanted to know if i needed to do any updates before installing OSX, but i went ahead and put panther on it, checked software update and no firmware update came up, so i guess im fine. Its just the diisk now.

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
Intel and PowerPC Macs can read drives formatted under the APM (Apple Partition Map) table.

You can only boot an Intel Mac off of a GUID drive.

ivnds
Oct 18, 2007, 01:44 PM
Intel and PowerPC Macs can read drives formatted under the APM (Apple Partition Map) table.

You can only boot an Intel Mac off of a GUID drive.

But Power-PC macs can't read a GUID disk?

If that is correct, i need to reformat then to APM and then ill be fine under both schemes, just no more booting to Intel.

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 01:52 PM
But Power-PC macs can't read a GUID disk?

If that is correct, i need to reformat then to APM and then ill be fine under both schemes, just no more booting to Intel.PowerPC Macs cannot read GUID disks.

If you rebuild the table to APM both machines can read it and you could boot PowerPC Macs.

Intel Macs require GUID partition table disks only to boot off of.

ivnds
Oct 18, 2007, 01:59 PM
PowerPC Macs cannot read GUID disks.

If you rebuild the table to APM both machines can read it and you could boot PowerPC Macs.

Intel Macs require GUID partition table disks only to boot off of.

Argh! ok ill have to get another hard drive just to boot for the intel one, i dont want my laptop dying and me not being able to boot and get my things out.

There will be no problem using APM on intel machines right?

I plan on buying a leopard for both computer so i wouldnt want leopard givingme problems for APM.

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 02:00 PM
APM is the default scheme for a HFS+ formatted drive.

ivnds
Oct 18, 2007, 02:06 PM
Ok, i will do that.

Thanks so much for clearing up all my doubts on this new computer, you have been pacient and respectful :)