PDA

View Full Version : 15 in Powerbook dilemma

bluecrown
Sep 3, 2003, 11:43 AM
Hi-

I'm new to this forum & was hoping for some suggestions. My computer died last week & I've been at the Apple store for the last few days & decided I want a 15 inch laptop. Someone has offered me one she bought a month ago- (she's just changed jobs unexpectedly & now doesn't need it) It's 867 mhz, 256 mb, it would include Applecare & Office X, plus .mac for $2000.

I know new ones are coming out maybe in the next few weeks. $2000 is really my max & time is important as I'm losing money/work without my computer. I also thought about a 14 inch Ibook but since that would be $1500 it seems this is a better deal. Any thoughts? Thanks!

ps. I'm not using it for anything super-complex (mainly internet research/writing & some Photoshop) but I want something fast.

jxyama
Sep 3, 2003, 12:55 PM
14" iBook would not be worth the price. it has much worse resolution than the 15". so don't get the 14" thinking you are only losing an inch of diagonal size - you lose a lot more in the pixels because 14" iBook is only 1024 x 748. if price is an issue, don't get the 14" iBook - get the 12" PB and if needed, buy an ext. monitor with the $500 left over from your budget of $2000... however, for your use, if iBook you tried out is good (fast) enough - since you are not going to use it for anything too intensive - you might consider getting the 12" iBook and an ext. monitor.

no one knows when the new one will come out. if you are losing money by day, then it's probably wise to just get one and get going.

brand new 15" 867 is $2000, so you are gaining Office X and AppleCare for "free." sounds reasonable to me...

if you don't mind refurbs, check apple's refurb section online. there are some great prices avaialble for powerbooks and iBooks.

Ambrose Chapel
Sep 3, 2003, 01:53 PM
if you do decide to get the 867 TiBook, consider adding more RAM. 256mb is about the minimum needed to run OS X smoothly.

tazo
Sep 3, 2003, 04:15 PM
dude if that offer is still available YOU HAVE TO take it. just office vx, a lowend powerbook and applecare is like almost 3k! you'd be getting an awesome deal

bluecrown
Sep 11, 2003, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback!
I bought it last week. I ended up putting in extra ram & getting an airport card. It's my first laptop & I love it! (& hopefully won't regret not waiting a few more weeks.....)