PDA

View Full Version : iPod will not turn on or do anything

gregio
Oct 18, 2007, 12:56 AM
Update: It looks like it may need service. The iPod hasn't been used substantially, so I know I haven't exhausted the battery, but maybe it's died anyway? Would I be best requesting a replacement battery, or is it likely to be some other issue? Like I said, I have no idea if it's charged or not. I've had it plugged in to the wall adapter, and it does not want to reset or anything--I'm not getting anything displayed on the screen. I also tried plugging it into my computer's USB port, and also tried a couple other computers and my cable from an older iPod with what appears to be the same Dock connector. The computers aren't recognizing the iPod, probably because it's completely unable to power on. Does this sound like a battery problem or a larger issue? I suppose I could take it in to the Apple store to see if they could diagnose it, but to my knowledge, it's just left the one-year warranty (only a couple months ago), so I'm not sure if I'll even get diagnostic service for it. Ugh...oh well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Greg

---

Hi guys. Here's my saga. I was transferring some files from my mac onto the ipod in disk mode. The transfer finished, and i ejected and unplugged the ipod. When I went to plug it in to the PC i was transferring to, nothing happened. I tried to turn the ipod on, but nothing happened. I tried resetting it (hold on then off then press select and menu), multiple times without luck. I've had it sit for a while and tried resetting it, no luck. I've tried plugging it in with usb to charge for a while. Nothing happens at all. My mac isn't seeing it. It's not saying anything on the screen. It's like it's dead to the world. Does anybody have any ideas? To make this situation even more annoying, it's not even mine. I borrowed it because I am away on business and my friend who doesn't use hers much was nice enough to let me take it for the plane, but now I'm headed back tomorrow and am worried I won't have this darn thing fixed. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!

Zombiekiller13
Nov 1, 2007, 09:26 PM
I had one iPod that did this and eventually I sent it in for maintainence and they sent me a new one. Now after about 2 months of use the new one is doing it too. I know it isn't the battery because my iPod is almost always plugged into a charger except during school.

xkRoWx
Nov 1, 2007, 10:32 PM
Use your wall adapter, plug the iPod and try holding the reset buttons for a really really long time.

Thats how the technician revived my iPod at the Genius Bar. Worth a try. :)

gregio
Nov 1, 2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, it's weird. I took it to the Genius Bar and a Genius plugged it into a wall adapter & computer via USB at the same time, and somehow he got it to turn on (I had plugged it into the wall adapter myself and could not get it to reset, even after holding the Menu / Select buttons for a few minutes). Anyways, I was relieved, went home and plugged it into the wall to fully charge the battery (the Genius said that the battery was pretty low and needed to be charged). The screen lit up and said it was charging, but the next morning, the problem was BACK! I could not get it to start at all.

Anyways, make a long story short, I called Apple, and they just sent me a new one (even though it was out of warranty!)...hopefully this one will work. I must say I've never had a big problem with an Apple product until now, but their customer support is just delightful. Definitely wish I knew what caused the problem though. Best of luck with your problem; let us know if you figure out what causes it! (Hopefully the 6th Gens ...errr "Classics" won't have this issue)

GSMiller
Nov 2, 2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Greg, Greg here :)

I've actually had to reset my iPod a few times before. Once it froze while transferring songs from my (then) PC. Then last winter I left my iPod in my car and I got this weird error message when I would turn it on. I was able to reset it again though, thank goodness. That's awesome Apple sent you a new one!