PDA

View Full Version : New Apple iPhone Ads: Bryce, Kristin, Ken

MacRumors
Oct 18, 2007, 01:26 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad13/) three new iPhone ads that aired on U.S. television tonight. The ads continue (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/07/apple-posts-three-new-iphone-ads/) the theme of iPhone users talking about how they've used their iPhone:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/10/18/kristin_300.png

Kristin

• Bryce "Delay" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad13/)
• Kristin "The Winger" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad14/)
• Ken "My Show" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad15/)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/18/new-apple-iphone-ads-bryce-kristin-ken/)

saulbug
Oct 18, 2007, 01:32 AM
I heard Björk was going to do an ad for Apple. Nice. This must be it.

samh004
Oct 18, 2007, 01:34 AM
The pilot one is so cheesy :p

"Yes I know you have an advanced weather system, but my iPhone is telling me this, so clearly I'm right"

Multimedia
Oct 18, 2007, 01:37 AM
Great!

mshepherd
Oct 18, 2007, 01:40 AM
Nice, but there is no way to post photos from your iphone to a website unless you have sort of .mac email gallery going on.

kainjow
Oct 18, 2007, 01:41 AM
I couldn't resist...had to lookup winger (http://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=winger) on Urban Dictionary.

Snowy_River
Oct 18, 2007, 01:43 AM
• Kim "My Show" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad15/)

Uh, shouldn't that be "Ken"?
:D

BWhaler
Oct 18, 2007, 01:47 AM
Fine. I'll be _that_ guy, and just say it:

Kristin, the Winger, is hot.

And you know what they say about ballet dancers?

You don't?

Me neither.

But I've gotta believe it's all good.

Chaszmyr
Oct 18, 2007, 01:47 AM
Not my favorite ads ever, but these three are way better than the first three.

irahodges
Oct 18, 2007, 01:51 AM
i like that all these ads are targeting people and what they can do with it. I do think the pilot one is stupid though!

Ja Di ksw
Oct 18, 2007, 01:53 AM

You don't?

Me neither.

Pervert :P. Just kidding :). I like how Macrumors uses the picture of the attractive woman in the story . . . .

irahodges
Oct 18, 2007, 01:53 AM
Nice, but there is no way to post photos from your iphone to a website unless you have sort of .mac email gallery going on.

Good point, maybe apple will change this soon. It would be awesome to open all files stored on your iphone to do anything with, even if it is just accessing from the browser for just such a thing as uploading photos or emailing documents.

Markleshark
Oct 18, 2007, 01:54 AM
I like these ads. Very functional.

kevnaca
Oct 18, 2007, 01:59 AM
i like that all these ads are targeting people and what they can do with it. I do think the pilot one is stupid though!

I agree that Apple is showing what people can do with the iPhone. But that Pilot one was such a mistake. Kinda reminds me of Switchers, remember that?

Rogzilla
Oct 18, 2007, 02:02 AM

You don't?

Me neither.

Oh good. I was worried I would have the be _that_ guy. Thanks buddy!

colocolo
Oct 18, 2007, 02:02 AM
I wonder how many hits will thewinger.com take tonight. She will become so popular for a while!

boss1
Oct 18, 2007, 02:03 AM

That's my favorite one! The Pilot just threw the competence of tower controller under the bus on public television! I laughed for at least 5 minutes straight :)

Snowy_River
Oct 18, 2007, 02:07 AM
That's my favorite one! The Pilot just threw the competence of tower controller under the bus on public television! I laughed for at least 5 minutes straight :)

I think that would be commercial television, not public television. I doubt that these ads will air on public television.

Okay, so I'm being nit picky tonight. So sue me.

Personally, I like the ads.

kevnaca
Oct 18, 2007, 02:12 AM
Here is Kristin's post on thewinger.com about her trip for the shoot.

http://thewinger.com/words/2007/california/#comment-10359

MacFly123
Oct 18, 2007, 02:17 AM
Not a big fan, but at least these ones actually showed the phone in action... WOW what a concept :rolleyes:

boss1
Oct 18, 2007, 02:40 AM
I think that would be commercial television, not public television. I doubt that these ads will air on public television.

Okay, so I'm being nit picky tonight. So sue me.

Personally, I like the ads.

Well! well in you Avatar pic your center of gravity is off too much toward the left hand side of your body, I think you would tumble with less then 40 pounds of pressure to your front. And the long red show belt you wear isn't very practical in a fight as it is begging to be grabbed and manipulated. Any keen martial artist would keep those "handles" tucked away or just wear a more practical belt! :p

koobcamuk
Oct 18, 2007, 02:46 AM
Kristin has never used an iPhone before this ad - if she has; it's only been for 2 seconds... her scrolling is not how a user does it.

She's quite cute though, for an American girl.

CorvusCamenarum
Oct 18, 2007, 03:01 AM

You don't?

Me neither.

They're bendy? I dated a ballet dancer once - she was a bit of an airhead but fun nonetheless.

Back to the ads, they seem a little gooberish for my tastes.

Project
Oct 18, 2007, 03:04 AM

You can email photos to Flickr, Zooomr etc

splashman
Oct 18, 2007, 03:05 AM
Here is Kristin's post on thewinger.com about her trip for the shoot.

And here's (http://thewinger.com/words/2007/greetings-from-venice-beach/) an earlier post of hers, during her trip to LA to shoot the commercial. Check out the, ahem, nice self-portrait. And she rented a Harley!

Sigh.

daneoni
Oct 18, 2007, 03:08 AM
Bryce's ad was my best of the three but obviously kristin is the hottest of the three

guru_ck
Oct 18, 2007, 03:16 AM
Finally a girl... Kristen is mighty tasty!

I miss the PC vs Mac commercials... Mac if I don't make it you can have my peripherals, LOL! Best commercials ever!

xUKHCx
Oct 18, 2007, 03:19 AM
Best commercials ever!

Well actually that accolade falls to this (http://www.aglassandahalffullproductions.com/)

Project
Oct 18, 2007, 03:25 AM
Well actually that accolade falls to this (http://www.aglassandahalffullproductions.com/)

1984 > the Cadburys ad that makes no sense!

quinney
Oct 18, 2007, 03:28 AM

That baldness cure medicine Phil Collins used seems to
have had serious side-effects.

BKKbill
Oct 18, 2007, 03:44 AM
I like these ads. For 30 second commercial showing a close up of the phone doing something interesting is right on.

Steve Jobs=God
Oct 18, 2007, 03:50 AM
At least all those people who were sulking at the lack of women in the first lot of ads can stop complaining now

ogee
Oct 18, 2007, 04:14 AM

Agreed :) I dont think I would kick her out of bed :rolleyes: Unless my wife turned up unexpectedly :eek:

:D :D :D

Porshuh944turbo
Oct 18, 2007, 04:18 AM
You can email photos to Flickr, Zooomr etc

Not only that, but for those who don't have a blog themselves, other than maybe blogger, most blog softwares let you email posts directly to a private email address so you can post simply by emailing your blog rather than logging in to your blog admin page. This makes it easy to email a photo from your iPhone to your blog and have it auto post to your readers without having to login and upload the photo, etc..

:apple:

blackslayer
Oct 18, 2007, 04:55 AM
kristin is hot:D

abrooks
Oct 18, 2007, 05:11 AM

Most blogging platforms have the ability to email posts and images to an email address and it posts the story and image.

kwood
Oct 18, 2007, 05:43 AM
For some reason I knew as soon as I clicked on this thread the majority of the posts would be about Kristen...

twoodcc
Oct 18, 2007, 05:46 AM
i really don't like the theme of these ads.....i like the ipod ads much better

flyguy451
Oct 18, 2007, 06:01 AM
I like the ads, especially the ballet dancer one. ;)

You all may find it surprising but pilots of large commercial aircraft do not have the ability to see large radar images such as the one demonstrated in the "Delay" ad (some small bizjets can do this). The idea that a pilot could get a look at the big picture (weather-wise) and have his dispatcher take a second look at the planned delay is not unrealistic except for one thing; these sorts of delays are almost always due to the traffic congestion caused by the weather system and not by the actual weather itself. This means that even if the weather system moves past your destination quicker than expected the delay persists because all the other flights have been waiting as well.

The upshot being that having an iphone, and hence the updated weather info, would not likely have any effect on getting the aircraft to it's destination sooner.

PepeLePue
Oct 18, 2007, 06:08 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that these are some of the most unpleasant and self-involved people you have ever met?

Let's see ... the pilot who is so oblivious to reality that he is convinced that he and his consultation of weather.com are the only reason the airline was spared a 3 hour delay.

The pretentious off-broadway producer who is now a better artist because he can consult a fan site and report the complaints to the director. A play which essentially consists of people reading quotes from myfirsttime.com. Talk about a creative genius, no wonder the reviews are not exactly positive.

The guy who clearly has no time for people, especially those who owe him money. No matter how tragic your story might actually be, he really doesn't care and can now skip your messages. Thanks visual voice mail.

And finally the couple who is not bothered to even remember your name.

On a side note, I can't wait to get my own iphone and also become a pretentious git. :p

flyguy451
Oct 18, 2007, 06:26 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that these are some of the most unpleasant and self-involved people you have ever met?

The ads are about the iPhone and what you can do with it so of course they seem self-absorbed. The things each of us do on the internet are the things personal and intimate to our lives; writing a blog, checking your email, watching your ebay auctions or whatever. These activities may seem self absorbed to you but they are essential and vital to the person doing them.

Can't you think of a time where having an iPhone in your hand would have saved you a lot of grief?

edit: (didn't catch the last line of your post - :) )

psychofreak
Oct 18, 2007, 06:27 AM
i really don't like the theme of these ads.....i like the ipod ads much betterSame, these are just so cheesy...

twoodcc
Oct 18, 2007, 06:37 AM
Same, these are just so cheesy...

yeah, they don't seem very "Apple-like" to me

Cloudane
Oct 18, 2007, 06:37 AM
• Kristin "The Winger" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad14/)

Next up is a user of the MacRumors forums
someguy27 "The Whinger"

;)

psychofreak
Oct 18, 2007, 06:39 AM
Next up is a user of the MacRumors forums
someguy27 "The Whinger"

;)

You're saying there should be more? AAAaaaaAAaaaRgh!

Dagless
Oct 18, 2007, 06:45 AM
At first I thought Kristens was going to be about a friend who complains a lot.

Not too keen on them ads, but I suppose they serve the purpose!

psychofreak
Oct 18, 2007, 06:47 AM

The purposeful annoyance of TV watchers, or what?

twoodcc
Oct 18, 2007, 06:48 AM

The purposeful annoyance of TV watchers, or what?

yeah, i must say, they just don't do anything for me

Gators Fan
Oct 18, 2007, 06:58 AM
"Ken" directs people to his play's "fan site." Can't help wondering whether Apple's aware that it's a site where people can post their first (or multiple) sexual experience(s).

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

WARNING: Some of the postings at http://www.myfirsttime.com/ are pretty raw. Then again, some are funny, as in "I remember my first sexual experience. I was alone at the time. . ."

NewSc2
Oct 18, 2007, 07:06 AM
These are pretty good. The pilot one was kinda cheesy, I was expecting a sort of "we were stuck in the airport for 3 hours, so I took out my iPhone and started watching movies and e-mailing friends just like I was at home." But it wasn't *that* bad. Much better than the first three, which kinda just treat the iPhone as a phone, and not a portable laptop.

Orng
Oct 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
Back to the ads, they seem a little gooberish for my tastes.

Gooberish! That's exactly the word I was looking for! Thanks!

Obviously there's multiple posters on her blog; I sure hope the blurry pics were taken by someone not using an iPhone, otherwise, people won't think much of the iPhone's photography. I know it's mostly the photographer, but most people will blame technology.

Gooberish!

swingerofbirch
Oct 18, 2007, 07:36 AM
It seems like the ads are meant to directly compete with the "Ask someone why they love their blackberry" ad campaign.

The feeling of the iPhone ads to me seems to be one of being purposefully underwhelming. "Yeah this is my iPhone, it helps me out, no big deal." It seems Apple is worried the market might be afraid of too advanced of technology and is thus doing these softball ads, like they do with the Mac, "Yeah my Mac's pretty cool, a little better than a PC, etc" Whereas where they have a built up market with the iPod, the ads just go for it.

Orng
Oct 18, 2007, 07:46 AM
It seems like the ads are meant to directly compete with the "Ask someone why they love their blackberry" ad campaign.

I live stone-throwing distance from Blackberry Central and I've never even heard of that campaign.

Of course, I don't have cable either, so that could explain it.

happydude
Oct 18, 2007, 07:50 AM
shouldn't he have had his iphone on "airplane mode" and not be able to check the internet . . . well, i spose they hadn't left the gate yet;)

i'm still a fan of the PC vs. Mac commercials. what do you think PC's reaction to the iphone would be?! there's a good set of commercials to explain the functionality [I]and[I] hipness of the iphone! :apple:

Yuppi
Oct 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
At first I thought that she said belly dancer.. What big disappointment that she is a ballet dancer :(
On the other hand I would find it way cooler if they would re-survive the PC-Mac ads for phones in some kind of way. Those "I show some regular people using the iPhone" is not so lifestyle like.
I wonder if any of those ads will make it to europe...

joseph2166
Oct 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
yeah, they don't seem very "Apple-like" to me

Yeh the only vaguely apple-like bits are the endings (where they walk away) - but then the endings of apple ads are often the most apple-like! Maybe its the logo popping up

Orng
Oct 18, 2007, 08:21 AM
At first I thought that she said belly dancer.. What big disappointment that she is a ballet dancer :(
On the other hand I would find it way cooler if they would re-survive the PC-Mac ads for phones in some kind of way. Those "I show some regular people using the iPhone" is not so lifestyle like.
I wonder if any of those ads will make it to europe...

My wife is a belly dancer

Anyhoo, your ads would go something like;

"Hi, i'm an iPhone"
"And I'm a Blackberry"
"Yeah, I can do fun stuff like surf the web and check email"
"I can do that too, but you're not available in Canada, so thanks for coming out"

tbobmccoy
Oct 18, 2007, 08:26 AM
shouldn't he have had his iphone on "airplane mode" and not be able to check the internet . . . well, i spose they hadn't left the gate yet;)

i'm still a fan of the PC vs. Mac commercials. what do you think PC's reaction to the iphone would be?! there's a good set of commercials to explain the functionality [I]and[I] hipness of the iphone! :apple:

heh, i thought the airplane mode thing was hilarious as well, it was the first thing i thought of seeing a pilot with a phone :D

PC vs. Mac are great commericals, but what would the iphone be, iPhone vs. treo? vs. windows mobile device? there's not even close to a comparison... completely different interfaces and uses. the iPhone at the moment, without 3rd party apps, is like a hybrid phone and smart phone and computer. it's its own catagory :apple:

PeterKG
Oct 18, 2007, 08:27 AM
These ads are absolutely horrid. All of them. These are really the best people they can find off the street? I would guess to say they are paid actors anyway. I am embarrassed.

GodzPeepz
Oct 18, 2007, 08:28 AM
Good point, maybe apple will change this soon. It would be awesome to open all files stored on your iphone to do anything with, even if it is just accessing from the browser for just such a thing as uploading photos or emailing documents.

Why is :apple: false advertising the iPhone. There is no way to upload "live" pics or anything else to a blog or a website.

Can't upload or download..... what's up :apple:?

dlastmango
Oct 18, 2007, 08:34 AM
... Kristen is mighty tasty!

I concur!
Very Yummy!:)

elppa
Oct 18, 2007, 08:40 AM

And finally the couple who is not bothered to even remember your name.

I agree, I wouldn't really “chat” with most of them, especially Doug, who is plain creepy yet has managed to get his mug shot on the homepage of Apple.com.

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 08:43 AM

http://thewinger.com/words/contributors/kristin-sloan/

cgray24
Oct 18, 2007, 08:51 AM
Why is :apple: false advertising the iPhone. There is no way to upload "live" pics or anything else to a blog or a website.

As been stated, some systems allow you to email a picture for automatic post. Which the phone is perfectly capable of doing (one at a time of course)

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 08:56 AM

You can email pics to anyone or any site as well as web gallery, it's easy.

Yateball
Oct 18, 2007, 09:09 AM
Definately thought she said "belly dancer", not "ballet dancer" the first time I saw the ad.

Quite frankly I like what I heard better.

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
My God! Some of the users on this forum never cease to amaze me...

As stated before (and stating again since you people obviously don't read very well) YES YOU CAN post pictures to a blog from your iPhone! The iPhone makes it especially easy with their user interface, but more importantly, again as stated before, most blogging software allows you to send an email with an attached photo which then formats your email/photo into a post. It's done all the time every day and very easy from the iPhone. No "false advertising" so stop with the FUD! Obviously a few of you are still jealous because you still don't have an iPhone.

Kristin has never used an iPhone before this ad - if she has; it's only been for 2 seconds... her scrolling is not how a user does it.

What!?! And you know how every user uses their iPhone!? And more importantly, maybe she was directed to scroll that way so we, the audience, can see what she was doing: "hold your finger to the side and scroll slowly so we can see your blog". The fact that you would even mention that... just, wow.

These ads are absolutely horrid. All of them. These are really the best people they can find off the street? I would guess to say they are paid actors anyway. I am embarrassed.

Nope, not paid actors. (you guys just don't keep up with the news and rumors yet you all post like you are an authority!) Awhile back Apple was asking for people to submit their stories of how the iPhone has changed their lives. These ads are the results of those submissions.

For those of you that say you like or hate the ads, of course this is all subjective and the ads are obviously marketed to a certain demographic. But I would bet that Apple knows what they are doing and that these ads are successful in gaining new customers. But why are some of you acting like "Apple is not making these ads specifically for me?" I just don't get some of you...

suneohair
Oct 18, 2007, 09:47 AM

As stated before (and stating again since you people obviously don't read very well) YES YOU CAN post pictures to a blog from your iPhone! The iPhone makes it especially easy with their user interface, but more importantly, again as stated before, most blogging software allows you to send an email with an attached photo which then formats your email/photo into a post. It's done all the time every day and very easy from the iPhone. No "false advertising" so stop with the FUD! Obviously a few of you are still jealous because you still don't have an iPhone.

You should calm down a bit. I have an iPhone and I had the same thought about the pictures. I didn't see the previous post, but I did see your annoying one unfortunately. My not seeing the post does not imply that I am unable to read. While this wasn't a response to me directly (although you people is suggestive of it being otherwise), you should try to be a bit nicer when sharing information.

Just because someone had an opinion based on inaccurate information doesn't mean you have to essentially call them an idiot. You are indeed the people on forums who never cease to amaze me. The ones who feel the need to post their self righteous posts in an attempt to belittle others. Moral, take a look at yourself next time.

Anyhoo. I took a look at that myfirsttime site, first story on there, best line ever!

"I never saw that gal again after that date, but she sure was a great *******. I hope she didn't get pregnant."

:D

Also, the ads are fine. I don't really get why people feel that they have to connect with the ad, or that they are looking out for Apple by judging the ads. There is no "Apple-esque" ad. Apple changes it up all the time. I just don't see how we can judge a company with the motto "Think Different" on such rigid criterion as "Well their last ads weren't like this!"

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
To all the whiners, this previous quote nailed it:

"Just because you don't know what Apple is doing,
don't think Apple doesn't know what it is doing."

Nicky G
Oct 18, 2007, 09:53 AM

You don't?

Me neither.

I'm sure it has something to do with flexibility... :D

phytonix
Oct 18, 2007, 09:58 AM
I heard Björk was going to do an ad for Apple. Nice. This must be it.

I do not understand what you are talking about.

zioxide
Oct 18, 2007, 09:59 AM
Good thing the Pilot had a 3 hour delay, because it probably took that long to load the weather maps on the edge network.

psychofreak
Oct 18, 2007, 10:00 AM
I do not understand what you are talking about.

She is a singer who whines...

rishey
Oct 18, 2007, 10:03 AM
I wanted my name to be Bryce!

pohl
Oct 18, 2007, 10:17 AM
I live stone-throwing distance from Blackberry Central and I've never even heard of that campaign.
Behold, the power of google (http://www.blackberry.com/select/ask/featured/lise_anne.shtml)...

I find the Blackberry ads a little long-winded. Edit it down, folks.

Rot'nApple
Oct 18, 2007, 10:19 AM

The tower controller's competence has nothing to do with weather. The tower controller's sphere is clearing planes for take-off and landing. There is also a clearance controller, a ground controller for taxiing, and an approach or departure controller when in the air near the airport environment, local controllers, not to mention TRACON (Terminal Radar Aprroach Control) controllers, ARTCC (Air Route Control Center) Controllers or "Centers", and finally ATCSCC Controllers (Air Traffic Control System Command Center)... lotta people to make it work... but as the pilot in the commercial said, he called dispatch, which all the airlines have and they look at the weather and best route, etc. to keep operations going, noticed I didn't say smoothly and on time, but to coordinate and get the flight up in the air sooner AFTER the weather passed, but glad the commercial made you laugh for five minutes straight... now if your're interested in a little reading material that pilots have to read, learn, study and be tested on... http://www.risingup.com/fars/

Being a pilot myself, "competence of tower controller" has nothing to do with it. The most basic of basic of Federal Aviation Regulations known as FAR's, which believe me has a lot of rules and governement speak, is this...

Sec. 91.3 - Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b) of this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a written report of that deviation to the Administrator.

See what I mean about government speak... that's just Part 91 concerning General Operating and Flight Rules, Part 61 contains the info for Certifcation of Pilots, Part 135 for Charter Ops and Part 121 Certification and Operations that the big boys use (airlines)

But to get back to the premise of my comment, as stated by the very basic of flight rules, it is the pilot in command, not the competency of tower controller, that makes the decisions to ensure the safety of the flight and when to go or not go.

Just thought you ought ot know.:)

neoben
Oct 18, 2007, 10:19 AM
Have you seen this new Apple ad featuring a bricked iPhone:

"Bricked but Useful"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOEZPx3nC0

Best,

Ben

Snide
Oct 18, 2007, 10:34 AM
Have you seen this new Apple ad featuring a bricked iPhone:

"Bricked but Useful"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOEZPx3nC0

LMAO!! Really well done, I might add...

pohl
Oct 18, 2007, 10:38 AM
LMAO!! Really well done, I might add...Yeah, in a frank-confessions-of-a-tard kind of way.

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
You should calm down a bit. I have an iPhone and I had the same thought about the pictures. I didn't see the previous post, but I did see your annoying one unfortunately. My not seeing the post does not imply that I am unable to read. While this wasn't a response to me directly (although you people is suggestive of it being otherwise), you should try to be a bit nicer when sharing information.

Never said they were unable to read, I stated they don't read very well (i.e. they post the same thing over and over without reading the three other people that gave the correct response.) But true, I could have been nice about it, just frustrated because...

Just because someone had an opinion based on inaccurate information doesn't mean you have to essentially call them an idiot.

Nope, you're wrong again. First, I didn't call them idiots so AGAIN don't put words in my mouth (but, to be fair, I have in the past.)

Second, the people I had quoted were not "stating their opinions" but rather posting what they thought were facts. Completely misleading facts. And this is part of the problem with this forum and the internet in general; because so many misinformed people state things as if they were facts and it catches on and before you know it the mainstream media picks up on it and it makes it to CNN and you get something like "Apple apparently are bricking all iPhones that have ever been modified or hacked". Yes, viral marketing works in the negative too.

You are indeed the people on forums who never cease to amaze me. The ones who feel the need to post their self righteous posts in an attempt to belittle others. Moral, take a look at yourself next time. Nothing self-righteous about it, just dispelling the constant Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

But I do apologize if I sounded like I was belittling anyone, just wish some people would take the time to read or become better informed before posting such nonsensical things such as "False advertising because there is no way to email a picture to a blog from the iPhone!" To me, that sounds like a 13 year old kid who doesn't know better, a twenty-something who is jealous that they can't get/afford the iPhone or a competitor trying to spread FUD. (and this does happen a lot; I used to work at a music/ audio company that would do the same thing... post false rumors on competitor's forums... and is one of the reason's I quit. Call me self-righteous, better than being unethical and ignorant.)

bigmc6000
Oct 18, 2007, 10:56 AM
Seriously??? I mean, did Apple really just make a commercial talking about "My First Time and it's about exactly what you think it's about." WTF?!?! Great - "Mommy, what's 'My First Time' mean? Umm, the first time you make cookies?" I hate to see crap like that - especially from my beloved Apple... Sadness

clevin
Oct 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
i think the previous ads are better, listen to these ppl bragging about what they can do with their iPhones, will most probably make audiences feel "huh, my smartphone can do that too"

after all, iphone's UI is more attractive than its actually functionality.

nvbrit
Oct 18, 2007, 11:38 AM

I really doubt they are 'real' people, it is all too scripted and quite obviously these are actors. Maybe they are telling real stories of real people but I am certain these are just actors recounting the stories.

mdntcallr
Oct 18, 2007, 11:45 AM
the new commercials are ok.

but i would like to see Apple advertising Mac computers and the New OS soon.

they rely too much on the Halo effect from iphone and ipod.

Orng
Oct 18, 2007, 11:49 AM
Behold, the power of google (http://www.blackberry.com/select/ask/featured/lise_anne.shtml)...

For a second there, I thought you had found a google map to my house

psychofreak
Oct 18, 2007, 11:50 AM
I really doubt they are 'real' people, it is all too scripted and quite obviously these are actors. Maybe they are telling real stories of real people but I am certain these are just actors recounting the stories.

Yes, you can submit your stories here (http://www.apple.com/iphone/share/), I guess Apple takes stories, changes them a bit and gets actors to play you :)

yzp
Oct 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

• Bryce "Delay" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad13/)

"Everybody was happy and life is good..!"

loved that

momoe
Oct 18, 2007, 12:13 PM

You don't?

Me neither.

I "dated" a ballet dancer for over 2 years in college and the things we were able to do were AMAZING! :D

And she was no intellectual slouch... she's now an MD in Tuscon

:apple: momoe

PS - to many of the later posters - I doubt any of the individuals in the new campaign are professional actors - Kristen is/was a ballet dancer with a web presence for >2 years to substantiate this. I hope I see her here on the streets of NYC!

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 12:17 PM

Nope, not paid actors. (you guys just don't keep up with the news and rumors yet you all post like you are an authority!) Awhile back Apple was asking for people to submit their stories...

:rolleyes: Proves my point that I tried making earlier on how some of you just don't read or are purposefully spreading FUD... or not using common sense.

So you think Apple would really go through the trouble (in this case) of using actors, then make fake blogs of those actors? Like Kristen the ballerina's blog which has been around since November of 2004... long before the iPhone or these ads. That makes no sense.

These are real people, with real blogs submitting their stories and they got picked to do the ad. I'm sure Apple may have "cleaned" up their stories to make them more presentable and to fit the time frame of the commercial, but stop assuming that they're actors when it is fairly common knowledge where these ads have come from. Just more FUD from the ignorant.

nvbrit
Oct 18, 2007, 12:34 PM
:rolleyes: Proves my point that I tried making earlier on how some of you just don't read or are purposefully spreading FUD... or not using common sense.

So you think Apple would really go through the trouble (in this case) of using actors, then make fake blogs of those actors? Like Kristen the ballerina's blog which has been around since November of 2004... long before the iPhone or these ads. That makes no sense.

These are real people, with real blogs submitting their stories and they got picked to do the ad. I'm sure Apple may have "cleaned" up their stories to make them more presentable and to fit the time frame of the commercial, but stop assuming that they're actors when it is fairly common knowledge where these ads have come from. Just more FUD from the ignorant.

They certainly aren't people who were jsut grabbed off the street to talk about the iphone, whether professional actors or not, they are still acting.... their appearance and the whole production if very polished and obviously well rehearsed.

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 12:43 PM

Nope, not paid actors. (you guys just don't keep up with the news and rumors yet you all post like you are an authority!) Awhile back Apple was asking for people to submit their stories...

Yes, you can submit your stories here (http://www.apple.com/iphone/share/), I guess Apple takes stories, changes them a bit and gets actors to play you :)

They certainly aren't people who were jsut grabbed off the street to talk about the iphone, whether professional actors or not, they are still acting.... their appearance and the whole production if very polished and obviously well rehearsed.

ARRGH! Nobody said they were "just grabbed off the street"!!! What is wrong with you!?

Share your iPhone Story.

If you’ve recently bought an iPhone, we’d love to hear your favorite story about using it. We’re all ears.

And again, from these submissions they picked people to tell their stories on camera. And yes, of course it's going to be polished a bit as I stated before (because it's a frickin' commercial!). Stop being so ignorant!

Just because someone had an opinion based on inaccurate information doesn't mean you have to essentially call them an idiot.

You see suneohair? Do you now understand my frustration and my point?

nvbrit
Oct 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
ARRGH! Nobody said they were "just grabbed off the street"!!! What is wrong with you!?

And again, from these submissions they picked people to tell their stories on camera. And yes, of course it's going to be polished a bit as I stated before (because it's a frickin' commercial!). Stop being so ignorant!

You see suneohair? Do you now understand my frustration and my point?

There are throusands of posts on these forums, it is not unreasonable to think that someone wouldn't have read all of them. As for the commercials, they are shot to give the impression that backdrop was set up in the street and people were grabbed to tell their story. This obvisouly was not the case, and whether the people in the commercials are real iPhone users is questionable too. Just becuase Apple has asked individuals to share their story it doesn't mean that those individuals are the ones appearing in the commercials. The people in the commercials are real people, yes that is true, and so real people can have blogs but it doesn't mean these are the 'real' people telling their own personal iphone stories, rather they are likley to be people hired to act and appear as someone off the street to re-tell a story that Apple probably received through their website from a real iphone user.

Stang68
Oct 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
Is Apple just not going to show the iPod touch ad that was played at the touch announcement? Either way, though, they should definitely be advertising for Leopard and the computers a bit more than they currently are. The "Hi I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials have basically stopped.

nvbrit
Oct 18, 2007, 01:45 PM
Is Apple just not going to show the iPod touch ad that was played at the touch announcement? Either way, though, they should definitely be advertising for Leopard and the computers a bit more than they currently are. The "Hi I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials have basically stopped.

It's odd that the iPod touch ads haven't been shown, the iPhone ads certainly get a lot of airtime and so does the new Nano ads. Some new "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads centered around the new features of Leopard would be cool

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 01:51 PM

" a few of you are still jealous because you still don't have an iPhone."

... Sorry, But I do have an iPhone and not jealous

"What!?! And you know how every user uses their iPhone!? And more importantly, maybe she was directed to scroll that way so we, the audience, can see what she was doing: "hold your finger to the side and scroll slowly so we can see your blog". The fact that you would even mention that... just, wow. "

... Look at this site....Photo Blogging with Kristin Sloan of NYC Ballet

... Kristin Sloan, a member of the New York City Ballet, maintains a picture blog of her dancing and travels. Using her Sony Ericsson S710a, Kristen takes shots of dancers, rehearsals, venues and more.
Kristin Sloan

Maybe she does not know how to use her iphone. She has being using a Sony. She must have switched by now:)
http://greatdance.com/danceblog/archives/mobile_and_handheld/000314.php

"Nope, not paid actors. (you guys just don't keep up with the news and rumors yet you all post like you are an authority!) Awhile back Apple was asking for people to submit their stories of how the iPhone has changed their lives. These ads are the results of those submissions. "

...She is a proffesion al model. This is her portafolio and and agent listed. Nothing away from her, do she is gooood.¡¡ (also a Ballet dancer)

"For those of you that say you like or hate the ads, of course this is all subjective and the ads are obviously marketed to a certain demographic. But I would bet that Apple knows what they are doing and that these ads are successful in gaining new customers. But why are some of you acting like "Apple is not making these ads specifically for me?" I just don't get some of you........"

...Because we are stockholders and at least have the right of opinion.

Anyway... I am Kristin fan, now. I think I will start a Blog...

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 02:02 PM
Because we are stockholders and at least have the right of oppinion.

Anyway... I am Kristin fan, now. I think I will start a Blog...

Looks like you quoted several different people all in one long quote related to me. Not very cool. But in any case, if you read the threads, I don't object to people's opinions, I object when they state things as fact that are wrong and misleading.

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 02:07 PM
There are throusands of posts on these forums, it is not unreasonable to think that someone wouldn't have read all of them. As for the commercials, they are shot to give the impression that backdrop was set up in the street and people were grabbed to tell their story. This obvisouly was not the case, and whether the people in the commercials are real iPhone users is questionable too. Just becuase Apple has asked individuals to share their story it doesn't mean that those individuals are the ones appearing in the commercials. The people in the commercials are real people, yes that is true, and so real people can have blogs but it doesn't mean these are the 'real' people telling their own personal iphone stories, rather they are likley to be people hired to act and appear as someone off the street to re-tell a story that Apple probably received through their website from a real iphone user.

Touché.

gwangung
Oct 18, 2007, 02:21 PM

You guys really ARE determined to make MacRumors posters look like idiots, aren't you? :rolleyes: (And, no, these folks OBVIOUSLY aren't actors...they don't have the voice work trained good trained actors do).(Well, OK...maybe Ken...he has the look of a former actor who couldn't hack it and went into producing, but still....)

gwangung
Oct 18, 2007, 02:25 PM

Actually, no...because the FTC requires you to mark it when you use an actor in place of a real person.

Besides...I think it's easier to select for people with interesting stories AND who can present themselves well--it's not just that hard to do that in real life. Just because it might be hard for some people, doesn't mean it's hard for others (I mean, you got BUSINESS people fer crissakes who can do that...)

TurboSC
Oct 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
nice. I kind of like the new approach they're taking with the ads.. makes it more personal and believable.

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 02:35 PM
Looks like you quoted several different people all in one long quote related to me. Not very cool. But in any case, if you read the threads, I don't object to people's opinions, I object when they state things as fact that are wrong and misleading.

It only proves you are the one misinformed and misleading people.

About Kristin:
1 She has being using a Sony phone to blog
2 She is a proffesional model
http://www.kristinsloan.com/gallery/
3 Adds could be better, hence the whining

But Kristin saved the production. This tread proves it ...Hang on Apple ( I don't blame you).

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 02:59 PM

It only proves you are the one misinformed and misleading people.

About Kristin:
1 She has being using a Sony phone to blog
2 She is a proffesional model
http://www.kristinsloan.com/gallery/
3 Adds could be better, hence the whining

But Kristin saved the production. This tread proves it ...Hang on Apple ( I don't blame you).

What are you talking about? It's like you are arguing a completely different point against me or something. Where exactly am I "misinformed and misleading" people? Please give me a specific example and if true, I'll apologize. You accuse me of this by responding to my response that said "Looks like you quoted several different people all in one long quote related to me." and that was true. You obviously don't know how to "multi quote" and you made it look like the entire quote was attributed to me when it wasn't. So again, please explain where I have misinformed and/or mislead anyone.

And what does Kristen using a Sony phone (back in 2005) and her being a professional model have anything to do with her iPhone story? And what does it have to do with the main point of my response which was, Apple wouldn't create a fake blog way back in 2004 just to support an actor for a commercial they're doing in 2007, especially when it has already been shown to be actual people that have submitted their iPhone stories?

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 03:22 PM
The tower controller's competence has nothing to do with weather. The tower controller's sphere is clearing planes for take-off and landing. There is also a clearance controller, a ground controller for taxiing, and an approach or departure controller when in the air near the airport environment, local controllers, not to mention TRACON (Terminal Radar Aprroach Control) controllers, ARTCC (Air Route Control Center) Controllers or "Centers", and finally ATCSCC Controllers (Air Traffic Control System Command Center)... lotta people to make it work... but as the pilot in the commercial said, he called dispatch, which all the airlines have and they look at the weather and best route, etc. to keep operations going, noticed I didn't say smoothly and on time, but to coordinate and get the flight up in the air sooner AFTER the weather passed, but glad the commercial made you laugh for five minutes straight... now if your're interested in a little reading material that pilots have to read, learn, study and be tested on... http://www.risingup.com/fars/

Being a pilot myself, "competence of tower controller" has nothing to do with it. The most basic of basic of Federal Aviation Regulations known as FAR's, which believe me has a lot of rules and governement speak, is this...

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b) of this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a written report of that deviation to the Administrator.

See what I mean about government speak... that's just Part 91 concerning General Operating and Flight Rules, Part 61 contains the info for Certifcation of Pilots, Part 135 for Charter Ops and Part 121 Certification and Operations that the big boys use (airlines)

But to get back to the premise of my comment, as stated by the very basic of flight rules, it is the pilot in command, not the competency of tower controller, that makes the decisions to ensure the safety of the flight and when to go or not go.

Thank you for some real information and facts in response to the numbskulls who think they know everything!

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
Just a quick follow up, there is a great, short article regarding the possible reasoning behind using these real people in these ads: http://valleywag.com/tech/advertising/apples-new-iphone-ads-befuddle-the-nerds-308359.php

From the article:

Why is Apple's advertising so successful? Because, one could argue, it doesn't let its engineers design its advertising. Apple is running new iPhone ads which apparently puzzle nerdly sorts like TechCrunch editor Michael Arrington. The ads feature "regular people" talking about how their lives have been improved by the iPhone. Of the three ads, the phone itself makes just one two-second appearance, when a businessman touts its "visual voicemail" feature. The rest of the time, it's just some guy telling a story about how the iPhone makes his life better. Arrington doesn't like the ads, asking "where's the phone?" Michael, don't quit your day job. These ads are brilliant. After the jump, an analysis of why -- and a clip so you can judge for yourself.

It's a lesson from Marketing 101, but one that most of Silicon Valley has yet to learn: Tout benefits, not features. The iPhone has visual voicemail (that's a feature) so that you can listen to just the messages you want (that's a benefit). This new set of ads is all about benefits. They show real people using their phones and loving them. In all the hoopla about bricking and unlocking, we forget that if you want to sell 10 million of something, you have to sell to everyone, not just TechCrunch's readership. What better way to sell to the average person -- to pass, as they call it, "the Mom test" -- than to show average people using your product?

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
I agree. You nailed it.
Most techies are not artists (although some artists are techies!) and as such have no feel for this type of advertising. They also make lousy comedians. Hey techies, don't quit your day job!

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
What are you talking about? It's like you are arguing a completely different point against me or something. Where exactly am I "misinformed and misleading" people? Please give me a specific example and if true, I'll apologize. You accuse me of this by responding to my response that said "Looks like you quoted several different people all in one long quote related to me." and that was true. You obviously don't know how to "multi quote" and you made it look like the entire quote was attributed to me when it wasn't. So again, please explain where I have misinformed and/or mislead anyone.

And what does Kristen using a Sony phone (back in 2005) and her being a professional model have anything to do with her iPhone story? And what does it have to do with the main point of my response which was, Apple wouldn't create a fake blog way back in 2004 just to support an actor for a commercial they're doing in 2007, especially when it has already been shown to be actual people that have submitted their iPhone stories?

Did you know before your first aggressive post that?

1. Kristie is a professional model
2. She used a Sony for her blog, before

If you did, I will gladly apologize and recognize you were not misinformed and/or mislead anyone, like you are accusing others.

I love apple, and I don't see anything wrong with using pros like Kristie. It is advertising. None here can prove or care if they were paid or users. Neither you should try.

genshi
Oct 18, 2007, 04:02 PM

If you did, I will gladly apologize and recognize you were not misinformed and/or mislead anyone, like you are accusing others.

I love apple, and I don't see anything wrong with using pros like Kristie. It is advertising. None here can prove or care if they were paid or users. Neither you should try.

I think you missed the point of angry nick's post. The fact that Kristin used a Sony phone in 2005 and that she was/ is a professional model and ballet dance is irrelevant to all of this. Though nick seems pretty wound up in most of his posts, he isn't being misleading or spreading FUD as has been mentioned by him and others. The point I think he is trying to make is that if people took the time to do even the slightest bit of research and use a bit of common sense, then you will find that yes, these are the actual real and regular people that submitted their stories of their iPhones to Apple and in most cases, they were flown in to either New York or L.A. to make the ads (with the first 3 ads being filmed in New York and the latest 3 in Los Angeles I believe.)

Lesser Evets
Oct 18, 2007, 04:11 PM
schWinger

...dot com.

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 04:16 PM
I agree. You nailed it.
Most techies are not artists (although some artists are techies!) and as such have no feel for this type of advertising. They also make lousy comedians. Hey techies, don't quit your day job!

Thank you.

That has nothing to do with my point at all. Yes, I did know about her blog because before I posted I looked up both her blog and her gallery (I ALWAYS do my research first) and thought, "cool she has a pretty cool blog for dancers" but again, what does that or the fact that she used to model have to do with her iPhone story that she submitted and her subsequent ad? And what does her using a Sony phone in the 2005 example that you posted have to do with the iPhone story she submitted and her subsequent ad? And I never said she wasn't paid. I'm sure they've been compensated for their time and their expenses. What I am saying is that it is fairly well know (if you do the smallest bit of research without having to have your hand held every step of the way) that these are not, by trade, professional actors that were hired to do these ads to pretend that they are iPhone owners. They are iPhone owners, they submitted their stories, they got chosen to be in the ad. Period.

I think you missed the point of angry nick's post. The fact that Kristin used a Sony phone in 2005 and that she was/ is a professional model and ballet dance is irrelevant to all of this. Though nick seems pretty wound up in most of his posts, he isn't being misleading or spreading FUD as has been mentioned by him and others. The point I think he is trying to make is that if people took the time to do even the slightest bit of research and use a bit of common sense, then you will find that yes, these are the actual real and regular people that submitted their stories of their iPhones to Apple and in most cases, they were flown in to either New York or L.A. to make the ads (with the first 3 ads being filmed in New York and the latest 3 in Los Angeles I believe.)

Again, thank you and I do apologize if I come off angry... I think I need a chill pill!

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 04:26 PM

Nicely said. H.K. McCann (Who launched one of the largest and oldest US ad agencies) has being quoted to state: "Truth Well Told."

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 04:29 PM

A quick follow up sense you seemed obsessed with the fact that she once had a Sony phone (as if she is lying in the ad about taking pictures with her iPhone) if you look through her blog, thewinger.com, going back a couple of months she actually tags her posts where she used her iPhone... before these new ads. Looks like around end of July/ beginning of August she switched to the iPhone (at least for posting photos to her blog.). Proof enough if you ask me.

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
Thank you.

That has nothing to do with my point at all. Yes, I did know about her blog because before I posted I looked up both her blog and her gallery (I ALWAYS do my research first) and thought, "cool she has a pretty cool blog for dancers" but again, what does that or the fact that she used to model have to do with her iPhone story that she submitted and her subsequent ad? And what does her using a Sony phone in the 2005 example that you posted have to do with the iPhone story she submitted and her subsequent ad? And I never said she wasn't paid. I'm sure they've been compensated for their time and their expenses. What I am saying is that it is fairly well know (if you do the smallest bit of research without having to have your hand held every step of the way) that these are not, by trade, professional actors that were hired to do these ads to pretend that they are iPhone owners. They are iPhone owners, they submitted their stories, they got chosen to be in the ad. Period.

Again, thank you and I do apologize if I come off angry... I think I need a chill pill!

If you did knew, I sincerely apologize and get your point very well. Just was trying to moderate a bit.

Still love Kristin "The Winger", do :)

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 04:39 PM
A quick follow up sense you seemed obsessed with the fact that she once had a Sony phone (as if she is lying in the ad about taking pictures with her iPhone) if you look through her blog, thewinger.com, going back a couple of months she actually tags her posts where she used her iPhone... before these new ads. Looks like around end of July/ beginning of August she switched to the iPhone (at least for posting photos to her blog.). Proof enough if you ask me.

Here we go again...

genshi
Oct 18, 2007, 04:53 PM
If you did knew, I sincerely apologize and get your point very well. Just was trying to moderate a bit.

Still love Kristin "The Winger", do :)

Here we go again...

Hold your horses there yoyon8, nicky there posted his factual response before you apologized and then made your "here we go again" statement. Not sure who voted you moderator but you may still be a little wet-behind-the-ears for all of this. Take a deep breath and leave well enough alone (that goes for you too nick!) Dang, now I sound like I'm moderating... where's my referee shirt?

thebassoonist
Oct 18, 2007, 04:54 PM
i like the ad with kristen! that actually makes me want an iphone...

nvbrit
Oct 18, 2007, 05:07 PM
Where is the well known fact that they ARE iPhone owners, submitted their stories and were chosen? Isn't it possible they took the stories people had submitted and then placed ads in the respective cities to hire people to come and act on the commercials to give the appearance of being the people telling their stories that were submitted from the website. There is no real fact on anything, however the way these people come across in the ads does not appear as if real people were just recounting their stories from memory that they had personally experienced. The ads are supposed to give that impression but the polished way it is presented clearly shows that these people are acting (whether professional actors or not) and reading a script. Are they the actual people telling their own actual stories? Who knows, there is no way of proving either way.

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
Hold your horses there yoyon8, nicky there posted his factual response before you apologized and then made your "here we go again" statement. Not sure who voted you moderator but you may still be a little wet-behind-the-ears for all of this. Take a deep breath and leave well enough alone (that goes for you too nick!) Dang, now I sound like I'm moderating... where's my referee shirt?

When I returned writing my apology I saw the new comment. Sorry, could not resist. Will you forgive me and aloud me to remain in this forum, please.

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 05:18 PM
Where is the well known fact that they ARE iPhone owners, submitted their stories and were chosen? Isn't it possible they took the stories people had submitted and then placed ads in the respective cities to hire people to come and act on the commercials to give the appearance of being the people telling their stories that were submitted from the website. There is no real fact on anything, however the way these people come across in the ads does not appear as if real people were just recounting their stories from memory that they had personally experienced. The ads are supposed to give that impression but the polished way it is presented clearly shows that these people are acting (whether professional actors or not) and reading a script. Are they the actual people telling their own actual stories? Who knows, there is no way of proving either way.

You know what, I am sick of you and having to hold your hand to explain every little thing. As I stated before, DO THE RESEARCH and you will find these people on the ads talking about how they are going to be in the ad based on their stories and you will even find their friends on other blogs saying "Hey, I go to school with that guy and Apple just flew him out from Chicago to do that ad." or "Yep, he's my roommate and he always has his big black car parked at that garage." A little fyi for you, I work in the industry and was there at one of the filming's (I'm a boom operator and no, to whoever said this was done inside a studio because it's easier to recreate the city instead of "controlling" the street, you are wrong.) and I KNOW that these people are NOT actors.

Now stop saying "who knows" and get a life.

nvbrit
Oct 18, 2007, 05:30 PM
You know what, I am sick of you and having to hold your hand to explain every little thing. As I stated before, DO THE RESEARCH and you will find these people on the ads talking about how they are going to be in the ad based on their stories and you will even find their friends on other blogs saying "Hey, I go to school with that guy and Apple just flew him out from Chicago to do that ad." or "Yep, he's my roommate and he always has his big black car parked at that garage." A little fyi for you, I work in the industry and was there at one of the filming's (I'm a boom operator and no, to whoever said this was done inside a studio because it's easier to recreate the city instead of "controlling" the street, you are wrong.) and I KNOW that these people are NOT actors.

It's interesting that through all these post you only now mentioned that surprise surprise you were there and are a boom operator, that's funny!

The FACTS:
All the actors are REAL people ie. not computer animated or hand drawn
They ARE telling stories about the iphone
They may be actors (professionally or not)
Some of them do have blogs and do use the iPhone

THE UNKNOWN:
WE don't know if these people submitted their stores to Apple
We don't know if they are telling REAL stores, or just scripted scenarios
We don't know if the stories they are telling actually happened to them
We don't know if they were just hired and paid by apple to appear as normal everyday people to give the right impression in the ads.

Spend some time on the internet, do a search under "people in iPhone ads are actors" and there is also lots of evidence to suggest that they are where the term 'actor' in it's simplest terms means "a theatrical performer" and does nto necessarily mean the person is a professional actor, a full time actor, or acted prior to this occasion.

iMACTASTIC
Oct 18, 2007, 05:38 PM
I couldn't resist...had to lookup winger (http://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=winger) on Urban Dictionary.

This is what i found

"A Jewish slang word for penis. Particularly one belonging to a gorilla.

Did you see that gorilla? He had one hell of a winger!

tags penis cock shlong johnson woody pecker dick thing chubby third leg wang wiggly worm phallus
by Malik J Wallace Dusseldorf, Germany May 22, 2007 email it "

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 06:08 PM

And I am getting tired of you. Prove you were there, if not, you suffer dilutions. You just pick on everybody reasoning with you. I agree, no one here can prove they are not pros nor they are. Except you I guess. This has being your point all day.

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
It's interesting that through all these post you only now mentioned that surprise surprise you were there and are a boom operator, that's funny!

I didn't work that particular L.A. shoot, but I was there because I am friends with the fellow boom operators that were there. I try not to give too much about my personal life on forums in case people like you start stalking me. And if I was going to lie about being at the shoot, I would choose a much better position for my self than boom operator (not that I'm knocking it, but...)

The FACTS:
All the actors are REAL people ie. not computer animated or hand drawn
They ARE telling stories about the iphone
They may be actors (professionally or not)
Some of them do have blogs and do use the iPhone

THE UNKNOWN:
WE don't know if these people submitted their stores to Apple
We don't know if they are telling REAL stores, or just scripted scenarios
We don't know if the stories they are telling actually happened to them
We don't know if they were just hired and paid by apple to appear as normal everyday people to give the right impression in the ads.

Which is why I finally gave up and conceded to you by saying "Touché" last time, but no, you had to keep on and on even after other people backed me up.

Here:
You guys really ARE determined to make MacRumors posters look like idiots, aren't you? :rolleyes: (And, no, these folks OBVIOUSLY aren't actors...they don't have the voice work trained good trained actors do).(Well, OK...maybe Ken...he has the look of a former actor who couldn't hack it and went into producing, but still....)

And here:
Actually, no...because the FTC requires you to mark it when you use an actor in place of a real person.

Besides...I think it's easier to select for people with interesting stories AND who can present themselves well--it's not just that hard to do that in real life. Just because it might be hard for some people, doesn't mean it's hard for others (I mean, you got BUSINESS people fer crissakes who can do that...)

and here:

Spend some time on the internet, do a search under "people in iPhone ads are actors" and there is also lots of evidence to suggest that they are where the term 'actor' in it's simplest terms means "a theatrical performer" and does nto necessarily mean the person is a professional actor, a full time actor, or acted prior to this occasion.

Now you are just being ridiculous. So which is it, are they just actors lying about being real iPhone users, or are they "theatrical performers"?

And I am getting tired of you. Prove you were there, if not, you suffer dilutions. You just pick on everybody reasoning with you. I agree, no one here can prove they are not pros nor they are. Except you I guess. This has being your point all day.

Prove I was there? Ok, prove what you had for breakfast yesterday. Come on, simple enough, it was only yesterday. I'm SO sick of you little kiddies, I don't need to prove anything to you, I wasn't "picking" on everybody I was calling out those that claimed they knew for sure that these were actors and not actual iPhone users even though they had absolutely no proof or even a theory to back it up. It was pure speculation on their part and now I'm being attacked by the two of you like spoiled little brats that can't get their way.

Enough is enough, let it rest!

nvbrit
Oct 18, 2007, 06:43 PM

Well said!

arn
Oct 18, 2007, 07:21 PM
I don't even understand this argument. It seems clear these people are real.

Did I actually read an argument that she didn't use an iPhone in 2005 as a major argument that it wasn't a true story?

There was a post by Kristin on that blog about her flying out to do the commercial and meeting up with the other two people who ended up shown in the commercial. looks like the post has since been removed though.

more (http://www.iphonesavior.com/2007/10/are-people-in-t.html#more)

Kristin Sloan is actually a dancer for the New York City Ballet and the founder, editor of the dance collaborative blog "The Winger" as she states in the iPhone ad (her profile here). Ken Davenport is a true life Off-Broadway producer who hosts several online sites (here) including The Producer's Perspective (here) where he has the Apple ad featured. Ken's new play "My First Time" appears to be getting positive reviews (website here). Let's see if his iPhone ad does as well. I don't know if these people actually emailed Apple their iPhone stories or not. Maybe they paid Apple to plug their projects. The agency knows for sure. Also, I heard no airline plug from Bryce.

If they were actors depicting fanciful people, they wouldn't have used their real names and real professions.

arn

yoyon8
Oct 18, 2007, 07:28 PM

Did I actually read an argument that she didn't use an iPhone in 2005 as a major argument that it wasn't a true story?

There was a post by Kristin on that blog about her flying out to do the commercial and meeting up with the other two people who ended up shown in the commercial. looks like the post has since been removed though.

arn

We know they are real people. Some are arguing if they get paid or not. Kristin is a pro model. Why wont she get paid? This type of advertising is called "Testimonials".

nickbates
Oct 18, 2007, 07:53 PM

Yep, yoyon8 claimed because Kristen is also a model and that she found a picture of Kristen taking a picture of herself for her blog using a Sony camera phone (and that blog entry was dated from 2005) then she must be an actor and not a "real person"

We know they are real people. Some are arguing if they get paid or not. Kristin is a pro model. Why wont she get paid? This type of advertising is called "Testimonials".

Nope, sorry, no one was arguing whether they got paid or not. I even said they most likely did get paid for their time and expenses, but the arguing was over if they were actors or not and you butted in saying that I am a picking on the ones that claim for sure that these are actors.

So hopefully now we can put this all to rest. I apologize for my part in trying to dispel all the FUD, I obviously ruffled some feathers and that was not my intention.

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 07:58 PM
I love Kristen. If she has a Sony phone then I'm chucking my iPhone! :)
And give Nick a break. Anyone who works in production has enough stress in their life!

genshi
Oct 18, 2007, 08:05 PM
I love Kristen. If she has a Sony phone then I'm chucking my iPhone! :)
And give Nick a break. Anyone who works in production has enough stress in their life!

Ain't that the truth! I've worked a little in production and a lot more in post (I too am a composer and sound designer, though currently out of work.) and production can be pretty stressful. I used to work the good ol' Nagra, but 16 to 20 hour days lugging that thing around was definitely no fun!

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 08:12 PM
Very interesting music Genshi, I'm sure you will find a lot of work in the future.
Hopefully not hauling around an old Nagra. ;)

Eduardo1971
Oct 18, 2007, 09:51 PM
... I like how Macrumors uses the picture of the attractive woman in the story . . . .

Actually that's what caught MY attention.:o

BWhaler
Oct 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
Four comments:

1. I think these advertisements are brilliant.

-- The competitors and the media try to position the iPhone has an uber high end and expensive device. These are everyday people sharing their stories on the street.
-- To that point, the competitors and the media try to position Apple as a uber high end maker of gadgets for a cult. Again, showing everyday people using their products is brilliant.
-- They show how people can do more with their phones. For the average consumer who doesn't hang out at Macrumors.com, this will be magical.

2. The whole spokesperson/bashing Apple posts here are either paid shills, kids, or fools. I'm not sure which it is, probably all, but of course Apple finds these people, auditions them, does many takes and edits the film, and pays the people doing the testimonials. As Arn pointed out, this debate was moronic--as were some of the comments.

3. I was totally joking in my original post. It was late, and I was just trying to be funny.

4. I like the dance blog and got to learn about a community I know nothing about. (Dance is not my thing.) So thanks to the advertisement and the blog, I learned some new stuff. Pretty cool.

dontmatter
Oct 18, 2007, 11:23 PM

You don't?

Me neither.

What stood out to me was that she was the first woman in the iphone ads.

Not sure how to interpret that -- I think there's more to it than men being the target audience. If I were feeling like a sociologist, I'd say that they're trying to market the iphone as a practical tool in life that we don't yet know we need, like once upon a time all cell phones were, and internet tools like google maps, wikipedia, etc. (Notice, advertizing NOT about it being a fashion statement, I think because they want to fight people seeing it as a self-indulgent status symbol purchase). Anyway, societal expectations say that buisness people, practical people are men, whereas women are more emotional, so they use men.

More on the gender stuff -- interesting she isn't using it for a gendered purpose, but that said, is defined by her job, which is an immensely gendered one.

Oh, and now to the part more in line with what you were saying:

I don't know what they say about ballet dancers either, though I should, because I dated one. I, um, can say what they should say -- they're FLEXIBLE. Not necessarily worth it for the likely emotional baggage of eating disorders, but I'm not going to lie, it's a plus.

Oh, and speaking of, it looks like they chose a dancer who actually looks relatively healthy. Way to go, apple.

arn
Oct 18, 2007, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure which it is, probably all, but of course Apple finds these people, auditions them, does many takes and edits the film, and pays the people doing the testimonials.

Right, it's no coincidence that the people in the national tv-ads are well spoken. The ones that weren't well spoken obviously didn't make the cut.

arn

megfilmworks
Oct 18, 2007, 11:38 PM
More on the gender stuff -- interesting she isn't using it for a gendered purpose, but that said, is defined by her job, which is an immensely gendered one.

What, no more male dancers in the ballet companies?

boss1
Oct 19, 2007, 05:59 AM
....but glad the commercial made you laugh for five minutes straight... now if your're interested in a little reading material that pilots have to read, learn, study and be tested on.....

I respect your post, you seem to sincerely care about and seem to be knowledgeable about the material you reference. I wish some of the people I've worked around in the past took as much ownership of the material that pertain to them in the workplace as you do.

Thank you for sharing the details regarding who's actual responsibilities fall to whom. By chance, you wouldn't happen to be the person in the commercial would you? It seems that some persons who have worked around these commercials happen to roam around these forums and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you said you were him.

My post was casual, and not really meant to accurately state who's fault was who's. So if it was the dispatcher, which I could have easily picked up on just by listening to the commercial, or if it's ultimately the pilots responsibility well thats fine. HE threw somebody under the bus on television and think its hilarious ( I apologize for the cynical sense of humor ):D

Thank you for some real information and facts in response to the numbskulls who think they know everything!

Your post I respect a lot less, but I'll take what you said as a simple mishap because I haven't seen your make horrible assumptions regarding others on the boards like this until now.

I'm not going to sit here and brag about what I do know, because I don't care for bragging. I will say that while I don't claim to know everything, I do claim to know a lot, and have had to read through more government material in my lifetime then you can throw a stick at; to include having to revise some of these manuals myself.

As I said:
• my post was casual.
• I think the commercial is funny
• I don't really care for the detailed accuracies in what I wrote because I'm not trying to win the knowledge bowl

Feel free to nit pick the context of my writing or my spelling as much as you want if that's what makes you feel good. I post on these boards in a casual manner, but don't make the assumption that it correlates to my level of intellect or experience.

megfilmworks
Oct 19, 2007, 06:10 PM
Your post I respect a lot less, but I'll take what you said as a simple mishap because I haven't seen your make horrible assumptions regarding others on the boards like this until now.

Calling someone who gets his facts wrong and impunes an airline's 1st officer a numbskull is hardly a horrible assumption. Sounds like fact to me. It was not aimed directly at you anyway, but to all the posters who called the ad phoney because of their lack of knowledge. If you like to post in a casual way make sure you don't use your lack of knowledge to impune a professional pilot! After all you don't want to be kicked off the next flight you take when you find him in the driver's seat!! :)

Macinmyblood
Oct 21, 2007, 12:27 PM
I can vouch for the fact that none of these people are actors. In fact, they didn't even have a script. I know that at least SOME of them (Everyone I've come into contact with) were literally picked off the street. I was one of those people. Someone stopped me on the street and said they were looking for people with iPhones and offered me $5.00 for a couple moments of my time. They video taped me and asked me questions about my phone. I thought it was strange, but I went with it because I had 20 minutes until I was due for dinner with my girlfriend and 5.00 is 5.00. 2 weeks later they called me and asked me to fly to NY for 4 days to film a commercial. I filmed with many other people, all people that were picked off the street like me. They were from all over the US.

They put us in front of the camera and the director just talked to us. They didn't script anything and they wouldn't even let us watch others film because they didn't want us to get ideas from them. We just talked for 40 minutes in front of the camera. They filmed a LOT of people (as they were filming for atleast one more weekend in NY after mine then there was talk of filming in LA) probably knowing that they would only get something usable from a small percentage of them. They obviously didn't get gold from me as I've not seen my mug on TV thusfar.

With all the hard cuts in the commercials, they don't need actors. They can edit all kinds of stuff together if they don't need to make it look natural.

nickbates
Oct 21, 2007, 01:30 PM
I can vouch for the fact that none of these people are actors. In fact, they didn't even have a script. I know that at least SOME of them (Everyone I've come into contact with) were literally picked off the street. I was one of those people. Someone stopped me on the street and said they were looking for people with iPhones and offered me $5.00 for a couple moments of my time. They video taped me and asked me questions about my phone. I thought it was strange, but I went with it because I had 20 minutes until I was due for dinner with my girlfriend and 5.00 is 5.00. 2 weeks later they called me and asked me to fly to NY for 4 days to film a commercial. I filmed with many other people, all people that were picked off the street like me. They were from all over the US.

They put us in front of the camera and the director just talked to us. They didn't script anything and they wouldn't even let us watch others film because they didn't want us to get ideas from them. We just talked for 40 minutes in front of the camera. They filmed a LOT of people (as they were filming for atleast one more weekend in NY after mine then there was talk of filming in LA) probably knowing that they would only get something usable from a small percentage of them. They obviously didn't get gold from me as I've not seen my mug on TV thusfar.

With all the hard cuts in the commercials, they don't need actors. They can edit all kinds of stuff together if they don't need to make it look natural.

edited: nevermind

gkarris
Oct 22, 2007, 11:07 AM

I would think he'd use his MFD to get the radar info rather than his iPhone. He did mention that the engines were shut-off but I would assume that they'd have the APU running...

(just thought I'd keep the "flyboy" spirit of this thread running...)

barkhoop
Oct 26, 2007, 04:28 PM
What's with the music on these ads? ..kind of sounds like guitar but not.