PDA

View Full Version : Meadowhall, Sheffield, UK

pilky
Oct 18, 2007, 04:25 AM
I'm hoping to head there straight after lectures with some friends. Hopefully I'll also have my iPod touch by then. Anyone else showing up?

Accident
Oct 18, 2007, 04:44 AM
I bought my iPod touch from the Meadowhall Apple Store yesterday. I heard that they'll be closing from 4 to 6pm on the 26th before Leopard goes on sale but if you have any time before your lectures, Leopard will be on the machines for customers to play with from 10 am in the morning.

I won't be able to get there in the evening but I plan to go during the day for a play around (hopefully it'll be quieter then too).

I'll have to buy Leopard over the weekend.

Alistair1990
Oct 19, 2007, 06:21 AM
I'm on half term from college so might call in and pick up a copy, its an hour each way on the train from Huddersfield though so I may think twice.

xUKHCx
Oct 19, 2007, 06:52 AM
I might make the journey down there to pick it up (might be in the lab though), I know you can get the edu discount on hardware in the store but does it apply to the software as well. I'm assuming it will.

Pilky mhat you studying.

I'm doing chemical engineering in University of Sheffield.

pilky
Oct 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
Pilky mhat you studying.

I'm doing chemical engineering in University of Sheffield.

Computer Science. I have a lab session at 3-4pm then I'm heading to the Apple Store with some friends. I'd assume you're around the Fredrick Mappin building.

As for the discount, I'd assume you can just show your uCard and get the full edu discount. If not just turn up for the Tshirt and buy it online :P

elimax2502
Oct 19, 2007, 03:09 PM
I'm coming up from Leeds with ma m8,

Will sheffield hav the os x t-shirts or is that a US only thing?

Also, is it true that leopard won't have any serial key etc? coz then i can install it on my family's macs with same disc...

El

pilky
Oct 20, 2007, 11:28 AM
I'm coming up from Leeds with ma m8,

Will sheffield hav the os x t-shirts or is that a US only thing?

Also, is it true that leopard won't have any serial key etc? coz then i can install it on my family's macs with same disc...

El

According to the Apple UK retail site the T shirt thing is in the UK as well. And OS X doesn't come with any sort of serial key. Apple makes most of it's money from hardware so it can afford to just trust users.

eyemacg5
Oct 23, 2007, 02:40 PM
I'll probably go and get a copy, should be free or a fiver or somehting because i bought an macbook pro on the 4th august

I'm on half term from college so might call in and pick up a copy, its an hour each way on the train from Huddersfield though so I may think twice.

If I see you could i look at your iPhone please =]

jordygreen
Oct 23, 2007, 04:19 PM
Well im gunna go most probably i finish work at 4pm so from birstall to sheffield in 2 hours via train/bus should be alright :)

Will i get my student discount off instore?

elimax2502
Oct 23, 2007, 07:00 PM
Well im gunna go most probably i finish work at 4pm so from birstall to sheffield in 2 hours via train/bus should be alright :)

Will i get my student discount off instore?

Hi Jordan,

Yeah - I'd presume that you should get the discount...

Students, staff and departments at all affiliated UK higher education institutions qualify for discounts on Apple products.

p.s. how did you qualify for Apple student discounts? I'm 15 (nearly 16 to be specific) and it says that you need to be 18 or work in education... ?

Elliot

Mossman
Oct 24, 2007, 02:09 AM
Looking forward to it :D

jordygreen
Oct 24, 2007, 05:51 AM
Hi Jordan,

Yeah - I'd presume that you should get the discount...

p.s. how did you qualify for Apple student discounts? I'm 15 (nearly 16 to be specific) and it says that you need to be 18 or work in education... ?

Elliot

Well seen as though your only 15 still you dont actually qualify for any discount but you can try and say your in education.

Im in college and have NUS card and student card and Apple have a connection with NUS for deals so i should get it cheaper :)

Gotta work out what train to get there now.... from wakefield or leeds anyone know?

elimax2502
Oct 24, 2007, 06:16 AM
Gotta work out what train to get there now.... from wakefield or leeds anyone know?

I don't know about Wakefield, but I was considering getting train from Leeds too. They're ~ every 30 minz i think, with northern rail. Also, there's a number of coaches that go to meadowhall from the bus station (#326).

http://www.yorkshiretravel.net/ has a really good journey planner that actually works.
:apple: Elliot

jordygreen
Oct 24, 2007, 08:27 AM
I don't know about Wakefield, but I was considering getting train from Leeds too. They're ~ every 30 minz i think, with northern rail. Also, there's a number of coaches that go to meadowhall from the bus station (#326).

http://www.yorkshiretravel.net/ has a really good journey planner that actually works.
:apple: Elliot

Dammit that site doesn't want to work with safari :(

[EDIT]

Yes it does ill probs be getting the 16:20 train from Wakefield to get at Meadowhall for 17:18 :)

Willis
Oct 24, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well I'm hoping to cart my backside down there for the second time this week. Was in there yesterday to pick up my replacement ADC... tsk..

Im only really going for the shirt, I will be wearing my

"Why Vista when you can Mac" Shirt.

So if you see me, shout out!

fredsherbet
Oct 24, 2007, 06:15 PM
I was hoping to come, but my wife has the car :( and i have lectures all day. so now i've ordered Student ADC... just have to wait and see when i get leopard now :P

Have fun all!
Fred

the deebs
Oct 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
Well seen as though your only 15 still you dont actually qualify for any discount but you can try and say your in education.

Im in college and have NUS card and student card and Apple have a connection with NUS for deals so i should get it cheaper :)

Both. look for a Sheffield train that will stop at Medowhall (most do).

It's then a short walk to the Centre and if I recall correctly the Apple store is on level 1 - yopu need to go up the stairs.

tyr2
Oct 25, 2007, 04:37 PM
To those travelling from Leeds, I asked the KRCS store in Leeds (on Merion Street) if they would have it in stock on Friday and got this reply

Leopard will be available for sale from 6pm tomorrow. The store will be open until 7.30pm.

I assume there won't be any T-Shirts or the like however.

xUKHCx
Oct 25, 2007, 04:42 PM
So if you see me, shout out!

Same

jordygreen
Oct 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
To those travelling from Leeds, I asked the KRCS store in Leeds (on Merion Street) if they would have it in stock on Friday and got this reply

I assume there won't be any T-Shirts or the like however.

Ohhh they have them in KRCS i might just go there instead of making my way all the way to meadowhall actually so much easier!

Willis
Oct 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
Same

All the way from Watford... thats gonna be an interesting drive/train ride..

I will be leaving around 2:30 and get there for 4ish... Theres loads of traffic on the A1 at the moment cause of road improvements.

I will have a bit of a wait when I do get to Meadowhall... armed with my iPod, will be good!

casjohnr
Oct 26, 2007, 07:30 AM
So there will be a lot of Mac users on my train home from work today! I would go but it is a bit pointless when I am buying a Mac with Leopard and I have no other Macs at the moment.

Actually there won't be on my train home as Fridays mean Goole train. Oh well

P.S. I highly recommend you get the fast train to Sheffield rather than the one that goes via Castleford as it takes agesss

jnc
Oct 26, 2007, 02:41 PM
I couldn't afford Leopard, just going to wait until my next Mac purchase for it. Still, I went to Meadowhall so I could demo it, and grabbed a tshirt :D

Queue was only 15 or so minutes long, and I got there at 5.55pm. About 150- 200 people in the line.

Thought I was the only Mac-fan in South Yorkshire :D

flashy-cat
Oct 26, 2007, 03:52 PM

Slightly off-topic, why the hell isn't there an Apple Store in a city the size of Leeds ffs?

Worst of all, bloody Manchester gets two!

xUKHCx
Oct 26, 2007, 04:11 PM
Had a really good time, was great meeting people from here. Enjoyed my choccies. Sorry ran off got a phone call and the store was so loud couldn't hear, then once out you had to queue to got back in again so just went home. Been playing around in Leopard for a while now. Really like it. Took just over 30 minutes to upgrade, brilliant. It'd be good to see the pics.

I remeber i was talking about a photo recovery program, just thought i'd post a link (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download)

Willis
Oct 26, 2007, 04:54 PM
Ah I wondered where you got to. I've installed it on the Powerbook, took about an hour. some plugins dont work in Safari and Mail, so gonna hold off on updating the MP & MB

xUKHCx... did you manage to get discount on your version of Leopard? I did! :D Apparently they don't do student discounts instore on software. Meh...

Right... next step... upload photos!

jordygreen
Oct 26, 2007, 05:00 PM
yay upload photo's :D

Willis
Oct 26, 2007, 06:14 PM
Heres the start of it all... more to follow

Willis
Oct 26, 2007, 06:16 PM
Yep, we got Water and Chocolates while we waited!!

Willis
Oct 26, 2007, 06:19 PM

Willis
Oct 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
t-shirt!!

Willis
Oct 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
And there we have it!

elimax2502
Oct 26, 2007, 09:17 PM
Leopard up and running in the car on way home

Well worth the two hour wait
:apple::apple:

Bakey
Oct 27, 2007, 02:30 AM
Slightly off-topic, why the hell isn't there an Apple Store in a city the size of Leeds ffs?

Worst of all, bloody Manchester gets two!

Well let's face it - it does make a change for Yorkshire to be non-Leeds centric... :rolleyes:

p.s. Received Leopard at 9.21am yesterday morning... :D

pilky
Oct 27, 2007, 07:06 AM
Heh, I'm in quite a few of those photos, but I seem to be mostly hidden behind friends