PDA

View Full Version : Longevity of iPods?

kingsleyflint
Oct 18, 2007, 06:09 AM
Well, I love my 80gb iPod, loaded with WAV files, which plays beautifully through good headphones and through my decent hifi rig, but I'm not about to get rid of all my CDs, because it can never be proven that the longevity of the Pod will be as good as the CDs I have.
In fact, we know we can replace iPod batteries, but does anyone actually know how long before the drive in an iPod crashes and finally fails, as all HDs will inevitably? What's the likely lifespan of a MacBook drive, for that matter?

psychofreak
Oct 18, 2007, 06:20 AM
Mine has lasted 4 years and is still going strong...some people's have died after a year or so, luck of the draw combined with how much you take care of it...

illicium
Oct 18, 2007, 08:42 AM
I bought the 40 Gb iPod Photo a little over 3 years ago. I live in Texas and it generally sits in my truck roasting every day in the heat and humidity of southeast TX. I have had VERY FEW problems, and it seems to be pretty much unbreakable. One time it seemed like it was dead for sure but I just gave it a tap, and it was revived and going strong. I couldn't expect much more durability from any had held consumer product. Mine really does get mistreated, and it takes it in stride.

Thumbs up on MY iPod's durability. :)

illicium
Oct 18, 2007, 09:26 AM
it seems like you are more concerned about losing your digital music files due to hard drive failure and not the actual longevity of the iPod because those can be replaced. the solution to that is: back your music up.

The chances that your iPod AND Macbook AND backup drive are all going to fail at the same time is less than slim to none.

mzd
Oct 18, 2007, 10:26 AM
i've got a 3G 20GB iPod and i've had the HD replaced once, under warranty (best buy). still on orig battery.

chewbaccapits
Oct 18, 2007, 02:30 PM
I bought the last version of the iPod before color came out and that model has taken a dump...Hard-drive failed as well as my ipod mini, the mother board had corroded (previous owner maybe) but both have failed on me...I've been told by ex-APPLE employees that hard drive based ipods will fail on you eventually.:apple:

Telp
Oct 18, 2007, 03:13 PM
All the ipods i own are still working great. 1G shuffle, 1G mini, 1G nano, 3G ipod. battery is a different thing, but besides that, they seem to have a good lifespan. I know lots of people that stlil use and love the minis.

ntrigue
Oct 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
Early adopter of Video iPod 30GB and still happy to date.

October 15, 2005 to .........