Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Registration

Why does it say my email address is banned?

We occassionally ban entire domains (such as hotmail or yahoo) due to abusive registrations. Try a different email address.

User Post Counts and Titles

How do I get an Avatar (graphic beside your username)?

Users who have posted over 500 times are eligible for an Avatar. The reasoning behind this is for established users to have a easily recognizable icon.

Posting just to increase your post count is discouraged and can result in punishment. (Banning, losing all your posts)

How do user Title's Work?

This is also based on post counts:

Newbie = 0 - 29 posts
Member => 30 posts
Regular => 100 posts
6502 => 500 posts
65816 => 1000 posts
65832 => 1500 posts
68000 => 1505 posts
68010 => 2000 posts
68020 => 2005 posts
68030 => 2500 posts
etc....

DemiGod or Contributer => Users who have contributed to the site.

macrumors god => adminstrators.

Why did I lose Post Counts or Why aren't my Posts Counting?

Wastelanded posts and posts in the Political Forums do not count towards your post count.

Common Forum Questions

What's the best P2P Client for the Mac?

http://www.mac-p2p.com

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
not so much adding, but:

by "contributed to the site" you mean financially, either through a donation of money via paypal, or by purchasing a macrumors item (not available right now)...

rather than "contributing" via intellectual posts and such.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
very nice arn, i see you actually did put my suggestion on your to-do list :)

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Why don't you just add this information to the "f.a.q." link at the top of the page. That's what I was suggesting... just adding all the rankings to that page.

ehjay

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2003
chicago, il
Originally posted by bobindashadows
Why don't you just add this information to the "f.a.q." link at the top of the page. That's what I was suggesting... just adding all the rankings to that page.
vBulletin 2.3.0 lacks the ability to add items to the FAQ without hacking around a bit. If/When MacRumors upgrades to vBulletin 3.0 (when it's a final release, i'm sure) then they'll have the ability to easily add and remove FAQ items.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
ARN, you should add that if you want to get the EDU discount on an apple product you must order through apple.com or goto an APPLE store and you have to pay sales tax....there is no known way around this...there are quite a few threads on this now

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
scem0: Because the '010 processor was only briefly considered for use in a Mac before it was replaced for the '020. The '010 was never used in a Mac, and the '020 only came in two models before being replaced by the '030: The Macintosh II and the LC.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I got one for you. I switched from the OS X MacRumors style to the original purple layout and I found this right above my entry text box for posting:

The Rules: Read the Rules. Personal insults or spam is grounds for instant banning.

I take it as a surprise, because that wasn't implemented on the OS X style set.

So, to add to the F.A.Q., here is my question: Do I get extra bragging rights for using the OS X theme? :p

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
scem0: Because the '010 processor was only briefly considered for use in a Mac before it was replaced for the '020. The '010 was never used in a Mac, and the '020 only came in two models before being replaced by the '030: The Macintosh II and the LC.

So how many posts does it take to get the "G3" status?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Good list, for sure. My only question is when will new mugs be around? I want a cool MacRumors mug!
me also, i have been waiting to see if this was going to be brought back or even a hat perhaps.

Neserk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2004
*Sigh* I guess I'll always be a Newbie. That is okay. I'm terribly concerned with volume. I'm more here to learn.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
In some very and I stress the very rare cases there used to be contests for best Avatar and the winner would get to use the avatar he or she designed. There have been any contests in over a year + so I'm confident that none are in the works.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
In Addition
Whats important about tuesday?

Over the past year apple has made many silent, non expo speed bumps on early tuesday morning. This is usually before 9am EST and they typically represent speed bumps/ minor upgrades not machine re-deisgns. This is why many forum regular may advise a person to wait until tuesday ... or there may be a good rumor about the upcoming tuesday.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Tuesday is also sort of the regular update day for Apple's online store. For example, if a model of a refurbished computer goes out of stock during a week, any models that come back in stock will be posted again on Tuesday instead of on an ad-hoc basis.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe

Ahhh... the good ol '030. I still have my Mac LC II in the basement. It has a screaming 16Mhz 68030 processor with a motherboard which could only hold 10Mb or ram. Those were the good old days. The '030 doesn't have even have a fan or heatsink, the chip is only warm to the touch when it's running! Makes for quiet computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.