Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Jeez. My "Jobs Screwed Me" thread gets cast out into the wasteland because everyone thinks I'm seriously complaining about the disparity between the 1G and 3G Nano, and then I read this on Appleinsider:

Meanwhile, Montreal law student David Bitton is peeved at Apple for what he claims is misleading marketing. When he found that his new iPod nano came out-of-the-box with only 7.45 GB of available capacity rather than the 8 GB advertised, he sued.

According to the Montreal Gazette, the complaint filed Wednesday in Quebec Superior Court alleges that all Apple products have on average 7.5 percent less storage than advertised. So Bitton is asking for a full refund for himself and all iPod owners in Quebec.

I mean: FFS ... show me one supplier of storage, disk or solid state, where you get 100% of the advertised capacity. My 500Gb external came with about 460Gb of usable storage ... that's 8% of my capacity I''ve been gypped out of, because of that pesky stuff like directory structure and file headers.

For.

Christ's.

Sake.

Jim

JNB

macrumors 604
Short of the minor overhead in formatting & setting up the filesystem, you did get 100%, in Base-10, anyway.

Problem is, the computer reports in Base-2, and therein lies the discrepancy.

It's not unlawful, or even unethical, really, just the way it works. Kinda like cereal boxes and potato chip bags being only half-full when you buy them. Now that really chaps my a$$... ;)

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Kinda like cereal boxes and potato chip bags being only half-full when you buy them. Now that really chaps my a$$... ;)

Actually, with potato chips they puff it full of air like that to help protect the chips. If it was full to the top, you'd get a lot more broken chips. :)

Its a silly lawsuit, but I do wish the manufacturers would use a consistent measure of what a gigabyte is. Why can't drive manufacturers just use thee same 1024 bytes to the megabyte the computer's OS does? it would stop the question being asked by just about everyone at one time or another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.