PDA

View Full Version : Leopard GM Build, Apple Retail Sales Launch, Free T-Shirts

MacRumors
Oct 18, 2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

This week, Apple announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/16/apple-officially-announces-mac-os-x-10-5-leopard/) that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard had been completed and will be launched on Friday, October 26th at 6 p.m. nationwide.

According to our sources, Apple did indeed settle on the last Gold Master candidate (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/12/mac-os-x-leopard-10-5-gm-candidate-build/) (Build 9A581) as the final retail version of Leopard. Despite some early claims that the "Gold Master" of Leopard had been leaked to the internet, all of these claimed leaks appear to be false. Apple has kept the distribution of Leopard Gold Master internal and is not even planning on releasing the Gold Master to developers until it makes its way into consumers hands.

Apple's retail launch of Leopard will take place at 6 p.m. local time at Apple Retail stores across the U.S. and Apple Stores will be giving out Leopard T-Shirts to the first customers. Customers buying new Macs at Apple's Retail stores on the day of the launch (even before 6 p.m.) should find Leopard DVD inserts already included.

If you haven't already ordered online (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FK88JK?tag=weeno&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000FK88JK&adid=1MD6ZAC88T1F7SWKZWPF&), MacRumors readers are organizing meetups (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114) in their local regions.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/18/leopard-gm-build-apple-retail-sales-launch-free-t-shirts/)

aristobrat
Oct 18, 2007, 10:08 PM
No stuffed Leopards? Le Sigh

DMann
Oct 18, 2007, 10:10 PM

Don't rule them out just yet........

Wayfarer
Oct 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
This news makes me happy. :p

carrjar
Oct 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
I don't want to sound like a tulip, but are the Free T's worth waiting in line for? I'd pay full price at the retail store if the shirt was worth it. As of now I'm preordering on Amazon ($20 instant rebate with free shipping $109 TOTAL) Are they one generic size? X Large like the ones they throw out at sporting events, or a unique shirt that people actually wear?:cool:

cobravap
Oct 18, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yea thats what i was thinking.

MonksMac
Oct 18, 2007, 10:13 PM
I wonder if they will do the scatch cards this time again. Still pretty neat though!:apple:

celebi23
Oct 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hopefully the t-shirt will be at all stores, not just the major stores. It would fit nicely with my Mac OS X t-shirt from late 2000/early 2001 :cool: :D

MonksMac
Oct 18, 2007, 10:17 PM
Somebody in another post said he/she saw them at their Apple Store. I'm not sure where though.

Drumjim85
Oct 18, 2007, 10:18 PM
I don't want to sound like a tulip, but are the Free T's worth waiting in line for? I'd pay full price at the retail store if the shirt was worth it. As of now I'm preordering on Amazon ($20 instant rebate with free shipping $109 TOTAL) Are they one generic size? X Large like the ones they throw out at sporting events, or a unique shirt that people actually wear?:cool:

Ya, in my experience, all free shirts are huge, and are better used as rags for cleaning rather than for wearing....

stevehp
Oct 18, 2007, 10:19 PM
so no Canadian launch on the 26th?

TheSailerMan
Wow, Mac buyers next Friday will be lucky people. When I purchased my first Mac (a Mac mini) it was the same day Tiger was being released, but it was only 3 in the afternoon. The Tiger disk was actually in the box, but before they gave it to us, they removed it. :(

Fortunately, they did give us $10 off the mini so that we wouldn't be paying an extra $10 for something we could have gotten a few hours later for no extra cost. :) (The Apple Store was too far away from home for us to make another trip that day.)

puckhead193
dam i want my leopard shirt too bad i have my internship and don't get out till 5ish

chr1s60
Oct 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
Good idea to keep the GM all internal right now. Damn online order, I always miss out on the free stuff.

Superdrive
Oct 18, 2007, 10:21 PM
This new shirt would match my Jaguar tee wonderfully. Now, for a new Macbook install Leopard.

Roy Hobbs
Oct 18, 2007, 10:22 PM
Hopefully the t-shirt will be at all stores, not just the major stores. It would fit nicely with my Mac OS X t-shirt from late 2000/early 2001 :cool: :D

I am sure ALL Apple Stores will have the shirts

muttley1211
Oct 18, 2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's retail launch of Leopard will take place at 6 p.m. local time at Apple Retail stores across the U.S. and Apple Stores will be giving out Leopard T-Shirts to the first customers. Customers buying new Macs at Apple's Retail stores on the day of the launch (even before 6 p.m.) should find Leopard DVD inserts already included.

what are you trying to say....you know something about new updated macs?

;)

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
I want my T-shirt!

I hope my MUG can make it to Indianapolis.

MonksMac
Oct 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
Wow, all this is making me so excited for Leopard! Only 7 Days,19 Hours, 33 minutes,and 16,15,14...:D

Drumjim85
Oct 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
Good idea to keep the GM all internal right now. Damn online order, I always miss out on the free stuff.

is that free shirt worth the $20 you saved from buying it online (if you shopped well)

me_94501

Stuffed leopards? Pfffh. My money's on Apple having real leopards! ;)

Luap
So, erm.. T shirts? Apart from those, none of this is news at all.

bęte noire
Oct 18, 2007, 10:30 PM
This week, Apple announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/16/apple-officially-announces-mac-os-x-10-5-leopard/) that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard had been completed and will be launched on Friday, October 26th at 6 p.m. nationwide.

Really? I thought it was being launched worldwide.

chr1s60
Oct 18, 2007, 10:30 PM
is that free shirt worth the $20 you saved from buying it online (if you shopped well)

Not really, but that doesn't mean I still don't want one.

MonksMac
Oct 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
Stuffed leopards? Pfffh. My money's on Apple having real leopards! ;)
That would be awesome! Sriously doubt it though, Apple probably would end up with another lawsuit or something.;) Honestly some people sue for the silliest stuff...

JPyre
Oct 18, 2007, 10:33 PM
Good idea to keep the GM all internal right now.

Yeah..... unlike 10.4 GM, which was available awhile before release. :/

sky131
Oct 18, 2007, 10:34 PM

If you really wanted the shirt and the online deal, you could buy a copy online to keep, and buy one on launch day at an Apple Store to get a shirt and then return the software later unopened for a refund.

polyex
Oct 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
If there were bugs in the previous builds even the last build and these were reported by developers, I cant see how keeping the GM internal is anything but a rush job.

/dev/toaster
Oct 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
Crap, Apple isn't releasing it early to ADC members ? Did I miss an email or something ?

Drumjim85
Oct 18, 2007, 10:37 PM
Not really, but that doesn't mean I still don't want one.

agreed! It would be fun to have.. And I'm glad you understand its not worth $20 :D

Whistleway
Oct 18, 2007, 10:40 PM

Oh.. please. There are plenty of builds out there. And GM isn't just some miracle build. It is just one incremental build over the previous build. Leopard can be had at several sources, though I don't encourage it.

BWhaler
Oct 18, 2007, 10:43 PM
Please, please, please, please Apple have good quality in Leopard. I don't need it perfect, but your quality in basically every product this year has been so poor I am nervous.

And of course, I will be at the Apple store next Friday buying Leopard. I am very excited.

mdntcallr
Oct 18, 2007, 10:46 PM
wow, umm .... more Apple shirts. (made by American Apparel i bet)

Cmon apple think of something more interesting than T-Shirts.

how about special bags you can buy with lots of stuff in there with a higher value? like in Japan.

Apple is kinda getting boring. (heh, pushing for more)

seanneko
Oct 18, 2007, 10:47 PM
Oh.. please. There are plenty of builds out there. And GM isn't just some miracle build. It is just one incremental build over the previous build. Leopard can be had at several sources, though I don't encourage it.

Apple isn't going to voluntarily facilitate piracy of their product before it's even released. If they released the GM, it would be on torrent sites within the hour.

SLAPSHOTW
Oct 18, 2007, 10:47 PM
If there were bugs in the previous builds even the last build and these were reported by developers, I cant see how keeping the GM internal is anything but a rush job.

To quote a response given to your exact point a few days before Tiger came out: they're still fixing bugs in Tiger, 2 years later, with the soon to be relased 10.4.11. If they waited to fix all the bugs, we'd never have Leopard.

CWallace
Oct 18, 2007, 10:48 PM
They should just toss a t-shirt in all the shipping boxes, but I'll gladly pass on a t-shirt to have a few extra hours to play with Leopard thanks to a Thursday or early Friday FedEx delivery. :)

CoreWeb
Oct 18, 2007, 10:52 PM
The GM is shrouded in secrecy...

Does anyone think there could be one little tiny extra feature? Say, iTunes-style UI?

Nah... too much to hope for. ;)

Rychy
Oct 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cool, I'd like to have an Apple shirt. I'm going to show up around 5, 5:30... hope that's early enough.

benlee
Oct 18, 2007, 11:08 PM
What's the scratch card thing they did in the past all about? What were they?

I'm going to the apple store because I want to be SURE I get it on friday.

Corran Horn
Oct 18, 2007, 11:22 PM
my question is what is on the internal build that has not been released to developers...

probably the ultimate "one more thing" (or just some more of the promised new features of leopard that we were clamoring about back in January...)

(I know in all likelihood they're not very different... but I figured I would get the idea rolling...)

projectle
Oct 18, 2007, 11:23 PM
I am just waiting for the lawsuit declaring Apple as being insensitive to the poor, majestic and in some cases endangered species of the world.

If they are going to continue to use these "names" for their products, then they need to give a portion of all their profits to the animals that gave their lives so that Apple can have a cute, clever sounding name.

the.snitch
Oct 18, 2007, 11:30 PM
The leopard screenshots all over apple.com shows aqua scrollbars/buttons. Unfortunately I guess they decided to keep them after all, unless they are hiding something in the final build.

Strangely enough, there are no screenshots of iTunes on leopard anywhere to be seen.
iTunes seems to be the UI experimentation ground, seeing as the flat grey look, collapsible subdivided source-list, square-ish window corners, and grey bevelled toolbar buttons all originated in iTunes. My guess is iTunes on leopard will revert back to aqua scrollbars for consistency.

stainlessliquid
Oct 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
My money is on Weds that the embargo is broken and some employee from Compusa creates a torrent.

Darkroom
Oct 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
Apple isn't going to voluntarily facilitate piracy of their product before it's even released. If they released the GM, it would be on torrent sites within the hour.

you're absolutely right... this way the torrent sites will only get it around 7pm EST on release day (2 hours before the west coast release)... ;)

offwidafairies
Oct 18, 2007, 11:40 PM
dam i just ordered my new mac online with ship date Oct 30
but then.. i have enough shirts i never wear
do you really think you can buy it on friday then not open it and get a full refund?

JGowan
Oct 18, 2007, 11:44 PM
Getting my $109 OS on through Amazon. Sucks 'cause I have to wait, but the target date from Amazon is a delivery of November 12th... my birthday!!!

kitki83
Oct 18, 2007, 11:51 PM
I am reading people getting the os x cheaper outside of apple can someone tell me how they are doing it?

Kwill
Oct 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
Apple has kept the distribution of Leopard Gold Master internal and is not even planning on releasing the Gold Master to developers until it makes its way into consumers hands.

So does this mean Adobe has not yet begun testing compatibility?

Kwill
Oct 18, 2007, 11:57 PM

Does anyone think there could be one little tiny extra feature? Say, iTunes-style UI?

I think Apple just didn't want anyone to leak the final version to the Web. Most pre-release software betas expire though I am not certain how a beta OS expires.

iJawn108
Oct 19, 2007, 12:02 AM
Since I have way too far from the applestore to go to one, I would like to buy a leopard shirt from anyone offering.

lamina
Oct 19, 2007, 12:05 AM
My question is how are they going to get it to my door in 7 days? I'm in Canada.

triskadecaepyon
Oct 19, 2007, 12:05 AM
I'm suprised no one has popped up and randomly said that safari was snappier.

neoserver
Oct 19, 2007, 12:11 AM
My question is how are they going to get it to my door in 7 days? I'm in Canada.

I'd llike to know as well. I preordered on Tuesday, and the email i got said it would be delievered by the 26... but I haven't recieved any shipment notices.

lamina
Oct 19, 2007, 12:12 AM
I'd llike to know as well. I preordered on Tuesday, and the email i got said it would be delievered by the 26... but I haven't recieved any shipment notices.

I also pre-ordered on Tuesday. I really hope they come through. I've made arrangements to be home all day.

QuarterSwede
Oct 19, 2007, 12:17 AM
I also pre-ordered on Tuesday. I really hope they come through. I've made arrangements to be home all day.
For me it's, I can either stay home and install Leopard on Friday night or on the weekend or I can go skiing with my wife now that there is snow on the mountains here and one of the resorts is open ... I'm just itch'n to try my new Rossi Bandit B2 skis.

chr1s60
Oct 19, 2007, 12:17 AM

My only guess is that they will be shipping starting mid next week and doing either next day air or two day shipping. If not, I don't know how they are planning on doing it. I do know that I will be very angry if I do not get Leopard on or before the 26th.

JPyre
Oct 19, 2007, 12:25 AM
I think Apple just didn't want anyone to leak the final version to the Web. Most pre-release software betas expire though I am not certain how a beta OS expires.

Quicktime wont update I believe, and I forget what else, but I think it will still work as an OS long enough to purchase when 10.5.1 comes out. ;)

MacFly123
Oct 19, 2007, 12:27 AM
Can anyone in here confirm that CS3 (specifically Photoshop) works ok with Leopard??? That is my only concern for upgrading. Has anyone used CS3 with the Leopard builds? How was it??? Thanks. :D

Ludde
Oct 19, 2007, 12:27 AM
It would have been a really nice gesture to give us pre-orderers T-shirts too :(

Doctor Q
Oct 19, 2007, 12:29 AM
No stuffed Leopards?You're welcome to bring your own. That's what I did when I brought my stuffed tiger QuickBite to the Tiger release.

koobcamuk
Oct 19, 2007, 12:29 AM
My only guess is that they will be shipping starting mid next week and doing either next day air or two day shipping. If not, I don't know how they are planning on doing it. I do know that I will be very angry if I do not get Leopard on or before the 26th.

Didn't it say "shipping on October 26th" on this website?

http://www.apple.com/uk/hotnews/

So I guess, you won't get it until 27th at earliest. That's my guess...

mdriftmeyer
Oct 19, 2007, 12:33 AM
You guys are all bitching about the prizes, when the Northwest only has Seattle/Portland area stores.

BKKbill
Oct 19, 2007, 12:33 AM
It would have been a really nice gesture to give us pre-orderers T-shirts too :(

Well if you get one I really do think I should get one. :p

Doubtful
Oct 19, 2007, 12:37 AM
Can anyone in here confirm that CS3 (specifically Photoshop) works ok with Leopard??? That is my only concern for upgrading. Has anyone used CS3 with the Leopard builds? How was it??? Thanks. :D

Yup, CS3 works just fine. I had CS3 Design Premium installed on a previous Leopard build and it worked great. Although, I never did any really intensive stuff while using the programs in CS3, but when I was working with it I never experienced any crashes.

chr1s60
Oct 19, 2007, 12:40 AM
Didn't it say "shipping on October 26th" on this website?

http://www.apple.com/uk/hotnews/

So I guess, you won't get it until 27th at earliest. That's my guess...

US site said and still says in my order status "Ships by: DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH." I don't know about the UK though.

retroneo
Oct 19, 2007, 12:47 AM
you're absolutely right... this way the torrent sites will only get it around 7pm EST on release day (2 hours before the west coast release)... ;)

Woo hoo. It gets released in Australia (and New Zealand) first...

pknz
Oct 19, 2007, 01:09 AM
Woo hoo. It gets released in Australia (and New Zealand) first...

Yeah but we aren't going to get free shirts.

Or the real education discount.:(

illitrate23
Oct 19, 2007, 01:16 AM
if the GM has been kept internal - does that suggest that there are possibly some extra features that Apple haven't announced yet?
like those secret features that Steve was going on about last year and was saying they were keeping secret so that no one else would copy them?

Roy Hobbs
Oct 19, 2007, 01:19 AM
if the GM has been kept internal - does that suggest that there are possibly some extra features that Apple haven't announced yet?
like those secret features that Steve was going on about last year and was saying they were keeping secret so that no one else would copy them?

Doubt it

/dev/toaster
Oct 19, 2007, 01:22 AM
What day is ADC members getting it ? Friday or gotta wait till Monday ?

SLAPSHOTW
Oct 19, 2007, 01:33 AM

These were announced a little while later at the next event. New desktop, new finder, etc...basically anything that wasn't announced the first time.

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 01:40 AM
From what I understand the free t-shirts go to the first 500 people through the door after 6pm, not just to people buying Leopard. So if you've bought Leopard online you can still go to an Apple store and get a t-shirt if you so wish

ReanimationLP
Oct 19, 2007, 01:45 AM

No, this is just to prevent people from Arring it.

Though it'll definitely happen.

My moneys on a Leopard GM torrent being online within 20 hours of release.

Most likely within 4.

I'm not stickin for the launch. I have work. Plus then, wow, t-shirts. That I cant fit into.

F/reW/re
Oct 19, 2007, 02:06 AM
I'm going to New York on Oktober 31 and I was planning on getting a MacBookPro. What I'm wondering is if the Apple Stores have these in stock? Do I have to order in advance?
The reason I'm asking is because here in Norway it takes weeks to get a MacBookPro..

ukp
Oct 19, 2007, 02:09 AM
This week, Apple announced that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard had been completed and will be launched on Friday, October 26th at 6 p.m. nationwide.

Apple's retail launch of Leopard will take place at 6 p.m. local time at Apple Retail stores across the U.S.

I guess as much as some people think only the USA exists on planet earth, I think you will find that Leopard will be released Worldwide and at Apple Retail stores across the World.

MiniMini
Oct 19, 2007, 02:14 AM
Too bad I won't be in the States when Leopard is out. :(

I will be getting it via Apple Store tho.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Oct 19, 2007, 02:28 AM
I'm going to New York on Oktober 31 and I was planning on getting a MacBookPro. What I'm wondering is if the Apple Stores have these in stock? Do I have to order in advance?
The reason I'm asking is because here in Norway it takes weeks to get a MacBookPro..

Hmm that's odd. Why is it like that? Is there some sort of tax in Norway?

To answer your question about advance orders, usually you don't have to do that. Both of the New York City Apple Stores (given you are indeed going to NYC when you say New York) should most definently have MBPs in stock. Out of the two Apple stores in NYC I recommend the one on 5th Ave. It's easier to get to, and I think it's better.

I hope that helped.

And to reply to this thread myself: I won't be at the Leopard release for a few reasons:

* I'll be at work.

* Though I'd have a ball playing with it in-store, I wouldn't be able to buy it (not because I wouldn't be able to afford it) because I don't have a machine that's supported. I have a G3 iBook, that was finally outdated for new OS installs (i.e. Tiger is the highest it can go).

Also, let me get something straight here. According to the article attached to this thread, when people buy new Macs on Leo Day, a copy of Leopard should be in the box, right? I plan on getting an MBP by early December or maybe late November. Would I be lucky enough to have a Leopard Install DVD slipped into my MBP's box? That would awesome. I'd sort of prefer it to be preinstalled, but I don't mind either way (whether I need to install it myself or not).

abrooks
Oct 19, 2007, 02:37 AM
Also, let me get something straight here. According to the article attached to this thread, when people buy new Macs on Leo Day, a copy of Leopard should be in the box, right? I plan on getting an MBP by early December or maybe late November. Would I be lucky enough to have a Leopard Install DVD slipped into my MBP's box? That would awesome. I'd sort of prefer it to be preinstalled, but I don't mind either way (whether I need to install it myself or not).

By the middle of November if not earlier it will be pre-installed on all new Macs.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Oct 19, 2007, 02:43 AM
By the middle of November if not earlier it will be pre-installed on all new Macs.

While that sounds about right, I called two area Apple stores and they said they don't know when it'd be like that... Hmm...

Stadsport
Oct 19, 2007, 02:44 AM
Works fine.

No. 9A499 (WWDC07) was feature-complete. Everything since then has been ironing out bugs. To introduce new features ON RELEASE would be a stupid, stupid design decision since you'd be putting a heavily-publicized product in the consumers hands with untested features.

The leopard screenshots all over apple.com shows aqua scrollbars/buttons. Unfortunately I guess they decided to keep them after all, unless they are hiding something in the final build.

Strangely enough, there are no screenshots of iTunes on leopard anywhere to be seen.
iTunes seems to be the UI experimentation ground, seeing as the flat grey look, collapsible subdivided source-list, square-ish window corners, and grey bevelled toolbar buttons all originated in iTunes. My guess is iTunes on leopard will revert back to aqua scrollbars for consistency.
There are now.
http://stadsport.revhost.net/Misc/itunesleo.png

F/reW/re
Oct 19, 2007, 03:37 AM
Hmm that's odd. Why is it like that? Is there some sort of tax in Norway?

To answer your question about advance orders, usually you don't have to do that. Both of the New York City Apple Stores (given you are indeed going to NYC when you say New York) should most definently have MBPs in stock. Out of the two Apple stores in NYC I recommend the one on 5th Ave. It's easier to get to, and I think it's better.

I hope that helped.

I guess the reason why we are low on MBP stoch in Norway is that USA is Apples first priority.
The reason I'm buying in NY is because the cheapest MBP in Norway is priced at $3163,85,-
Pretty expensive compared to US prices.

Reach
Oct 19, 2007, 04:22 AM
I guess the reason why we are low on MBP stoch in Norway is that USA is Apples first priority.
The reason I'm buying in NY is because the cheapest MBP in Norway is priced at $3163,85,-
Pretty expensive compared to US prices.

How much do you have to pay to get norwegian keyboard etc? And you plan on just walking through customs with it without paying the VAT i expect, since you want to save money..?

F/reW/re
Oct 19, 2007, 04:27 AM
How much do you have to pay to get norwegian keyboard etc? And you plan on just walking through customs with it without paying the VAT i expect, since you want to save money..?
Swapping the keyboard is very expensive!
I'm going to use the keyboard that it comes with. If I unpack the MBP and put it in my backpack they can't demand tax for it. They have no proof that I bought it on my trip. A reason to have International keyboard could be that I'm a programmer. For programmers the norwegian layout isn't that good.

aswitcher
Oct 19, 2007, 04:49 AM
Free Tees...one size fits all?

boss1
Oct 19, 2007, 05:17 AM
"In Stark contrast to PC users and the Vista launch, in seems most Mac consumers are actually excited about upgrading to Leopard."

boss1
Oct 19, 2007, 05:20 AM

That would so awesome. Little ones PLUSH quality, with a black apple logo on it's chest :D

cheunghy
Oct 19, 2007, 05:26 AM
Apple should make a Guided Tour for Leopard like it did for iPhone, iLife and iPod touch... :p
(How long would that video be? :D)

Wolf Am I
Oct 19, 2007, 05:36 AM
Wishful thinking... but a new upgraded, cheaper MacBook Pro to go with Leopard would be awesome... along with free upgrades for life pssh

Cloudsurfer
Oct 19, 2007, 05:38 AM

Here in the Netherlands, Apple rectified that statement and said Leopard will be shipped on the 26th, recieving it probably the weekend thereafter.

cooknwitha
Oct 19, 2007, 05:50 AM
I guess as much as some people think only the USA exists on planet earth, I think you will find that Leopard will be released Worldwide and at Apple Retail stores across the World.

:D Not to mention most of us will be getting it first too!

klagermkii
Oct 19, 2007, 05:58 AM
For me it's, I can either stay home and install Leopard on Friday night or on the weekend or I can go skiing with my wife now that there is snow on the mountains here and one of the resorts is open ... I'm just itch'n to try my new Rossi Bandit B2 skis.

Listen, you've had your two and a bit years since Tiger was released to get all the skiing you wanted in. October 26th is Leopard day! ;)

jragosta
Oct 19, 2007, 06:06 AM

I don't think Apple's going to introduce a new feature in the GM.

Chupa Chupa
Oct 19, 2007, 06:13 AM
Free Tees...one size fits all?

Yes, every free Apple T I've ever recieved was an XL. Best use for the T is to eBay it. Collectors will pay $20 or more. I got about $30 each for my Apple Store opening shirts. I love Apple but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Apple T.

TassieApple
Oct 19, 2007, 06:46 AM
Looks like Aus and NZ will see Leopard first.... and Down in Tassie we will see it first as we are on Daylight savings.....Can't wait :)

zen
Oct 19, 2007, 07:04 AM
That would be awesome! Sriously doubt it though, Apple probably would end up with another lawsuit or something.;) Honestly some people sue for the silliest stuff...

At Tiger's release (was it Tiger or Panther?) some stores had actual big cats at the launch. Someone is bound to post links to the photos... I can't remember which stores but it was at least 3 I think.

alcides11
Oct 19, 2007, 07:06 AM
US site said and still says in my order status "Ships by: DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH." I don't know about the UK though.

I also ordered via the US Apple store online and shipping is: Ships by: DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH.

Better yet I chose the free shipping that was offered and the shipping method is: PRIORITY OVERNITE :D Wooohooo :apple:

Luap
Oct 19, 2007, 07:16 AM
Guys? Seriously.. Calm down. Its just a T shirt.. I cant believe some of you are getting all hyped up about a T shirt and will be setting up camp outside Apple stores for hours in order to get one. And then what will you do? Actually wear it?? Thats like officially proclaiming your allegiance to hard core nerdmanship :eek:
Open the window, get some fresh air.. Book yourself a nice holiday to Antigua. Enjoy life! Not binary code..

I want to get my mitts on Leopard as much as the next guy. But im not so excited about it that I'll be doing naked cartwheel down the street and then go to bed and dream of licking Steve Jobs shoes. C'mon guys.. Snap out of it.

mikeinternet
Oct 19, 2007, 07:45 AM
Will leopard be installed on anything in the store for demoing?

I've never been to an OS release. not sure if they have these ready to go out or if they update them afterwards.

wordmunger
Oct 19, 2007, 07:59 AM
Getting my $109 OS on through Amazon. Sucks 'cause I have to wait, but the target date from Amazon is a delivery of November 12th... my birthday!!!

Me too. No big deal though -- we save $30 including tax, and we let all the other folks sort through the bugs.

Orng
Oct 19, 2007, 08:00 AM
If I unpack the MBP and put it in my backpack they can't demand tax for it. They have no proof that I bought it on my trip.

You might want to prepare by burning some photos, music and documents to a couple DVDs, also your inboxes and whatnot, then before you leave, charge up the battery, load up all the files, import the mailboxes into Mail, set some bookmarks in Safari, and change the desktop to one of your own pics. :)

Better yet, if you have .mac (and currently own a mac), download the Backup program if you haven't already, then backup your personal settings and mail to the iDisk, then once you buy the MBP, download Backup again and restore the settings from the iDisk. Load up the rest of the iDisk with a range of files and personal stuff, and load them all onto the mbp. You can reformat the whole thing when you get it home.

You wouldn't want them to ask you to turn it on and then have it go into the welcome sequence

twoodcc
Oct 19, 2007, 08:06 AM
i'll be there, getting my free tshirt. do you have to buy leopard to get the shirt?

brn2ski00
Oct 19, 2007, 08:11 AM
I am confused, what do you mean when you say: "new iMacs will already have the leopard DVD inserts in them"? Does that mean if I buy it today, I would get leopard?

Taylor C
Oct 19, 2007, 08:11 AM
In the last seeded build of Leopard, iTunes didn't use the default Leopard window scheme (it wouldn't go white when in the background), and as far as I know it still uses the tiger window control buttons. Hopefully this will be fixed via an update if it hasn't in GM already.

Stella
Oct 19, 2007, 08:16 AM
I am confused, what do you mean when you say: "new iMacs will already have the leopard DVD inserts in them"? Does that mean if I buy it today, I would get leopard?

No.

Leopard will be installed on machines on or shortly after the 26th.

Taylor C
Oct 19, 2007, 08:20 AM
Apple will start shipping out machines with Leopard on them on the 26th or earlier (but they won't be available 'til the 26th). However, there are obviously machines both in-store and those en route to stores that don't have Leopard on them yet; in such a case, Apple employees will stick a Leopard DVD in the packaging.

brn2ski00
Oct 19, 2007, 08:21 AM
No.

Leopard will be installed on machines on or shortly after the 26th.

So if I buy one before 10/26, will it have the leopard discs inside the box? Because that is what the original post implies....

wordmunger
Oct 19, 2007, 08:23 AM
So if I buy one before 10/26, will it have the leopard discs inside the box? Because that is what the original post implies....

I think it means the machines will come with Tiger installed and Leopard disks. You'll have to install Leopard yourself. (Though this will be an easy install since there's nothing on the computer yet!)

brn2ski00
Oct 19, 2007, 08:25 AM
I think it means the machines will come with Tiger installed and Leopard disks. You'll have to install Leopard yourself. (Though this will be an easy install since there's nothing on the computer yet!)

Great, that makes sense. However, what are the ramifications (if any) to installing leopard myself? I am computer savvy and have installed OSs before, but it would be nice to turn on your Mac for the first time and be greeted with leopard!

What is everyone's take on that?

wordmunger
Oct 19, 2007, 08:29 AM
Great, that makes sense. However, what are the ramifications (if any) to installing leopard myself? I am computer savvy and have installed OSs before, but it would be nice to turn on your Mac for the first time and be greeted with leopard!

What is everyone's take on that?

Well, if you start up the computer with the Leopard disk in it, while holding the C key (the command for booting from the CD/DVD drive), you will be greeted with Leopard! Then just do an "upgrade" install and you'll be on your way.

iBunny
Oct 19, 2007, 08:30 AM
I know it sounds like im being an ass but...

Who cares about if this is going to ship outside the US on the 26th? Everyone is so worried about other countries. Im pretty amazed. You should know that everything is going to be released in the US first, then make its way to your country.

Lepton
Oct 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
Apple isn't going to voluntarily facilitate piracy of their product before it's even released. If they released the GM, it would be on torrent sites within the hour.Yes. Now it will not be on the torrent sites until... probably a day or so before release. And as with every release these days, though I'm a seed developer, I'll get the GM on a torrent before Apple sends me the real one. Sigh.. It's almost degrading.

You know, I wish Apple had some way of knowing which developers they could trust, to give stuff to early. These days they can't trust developers. I've been a Mac developer since 1985, and though I've written for mac continuously since then, they don't know me from Adam. Every year when I renew my membership I get an introductory kit like I was a new guy. It didn't used to be that way.. O for the days when we got hardware at half off, got internal stuff way in advance, everyone knew everyone, and NDA agreements MEANT something. To some people, they still do. But Apple can't tell which is which.

I tell ya, it's lonely out here for us trustworthy folk developing for Mac out of town.

brn2ski00
Oct 19, 2007, 08:36 AM
Well, if you start up the computer with the Leopard disk in it, while holding the C key (the command for booting from the CD/DVD drive), you will be greeted with Leopard! Then just do an "upgrade" install and you'll be on your way.

Is an "upgrade" considered a clean install? Meaning that, will there only be leopard files and such with no Tiger remnants?

ACW
Oct 19, 2007, 08:38 AM
This article says Mac purchased on the day will have leopard disks in the box. Is this on the web anywhere, I cant find anything about on apple.com.

Thanks

arkitect
Oct 19, 2007, 08:42 AM

Who cares about if this is going to ship outside the US on the 26th? Everyone is so worried about other countries. Im pretty amazed. You should know that everything is going to be released in the US first, then make its way to your country.

Yes, you do sound like an ass.
Wow… what an atitude… or is there an off-chance you were being "funny"?
:rolleyes:

wordmunger
Oct 19, 2007, 08:42 AM
Is an "upgrade" considered a clean install? Meaning that, will there only be leopard files and such with no Tiger remnants?

Not sure about that -- I think it should be pretty clean. After all, you won't have established any prefs and so on.

If you want to be sure, archive and install would be better. You'll have a folder with your old Tiger stuff, but you could just trash that. That way you won't have to reinstall the bundled applications (iLife 08, MS office trial version, and so on).

If you do a clean install, it'll be more work, because you'll have to reinstall iLife at a minimum.

brn2ski00
Oct 19, 2007, 08:49 AM
Not sure about that -- I think it should be pretty clean. After all, you won't have established any prefs and so on.

If you want to be sure, archive and install would be better. You'll have a folder with your old Tiger stuff, but you could just trash that. That way you won't have to reinstall the bundled applications (iLife 08, MS office trial version, and so on).

If you do a clean install, it'll be more work, because you'll have to reinstall iLife at a minimum.

Archive and install sounds like a good plan. The reason I ask, is that I have been without my iMac for about 3 weeks now and am thinking that I should just go buy the new one now and not wait for leopard. I was initially going to just wait for leopard, but if the OS is not pre-installed, then what does it matter?

Thoughts?

DaBrain
Oct 19, 2007, 08:51 AM

There is Anger Management Courses Available!:)

hayesk
Oct 19, 2007, 08:52 AM

They've probably been testing on earlier builds.

hayesk
Oct 19, 2007, 08:52 AM
Crap, Apple isn't releasing it early to ADC members ? Did I miss an email or something ?

I don't think they did with Tiger either.

arn
Oct 19, 2007, 08:54 AM

This article says Mac purchased on the day will have leopard disks in the box. Is this on the web anywhere, I cant find anything about on apple.com.

The article is very explicit. If you buy a Mac from an Apple Store on the 26th it should come with Leopard DVDs.

- so if you buy a Mac today, it will not come with Leopard
- if you buy a Mac from an Apple Store on the 26, it should have Leopard DVD discs in the box, but Tiger will be pre-installed
- It isn't posted anywhere else on the web, or on Apple. You should verify with your particular Apple Store on the day of sale, but that's how it's suppose to happen.

arn

GenesisST
Oct 19, 2007, 08:54 AM
Really? I thought it was being launched worldwide.

It will be launched in Canada that data as well. But we're kinda the 51st state (sorry Porto Rico...) :D

blisters
Oct 19, 2007, 08:57 AM

You will be getting the update disks, NOT the full version that Apple is selling for $129. If you ever need to re-install Leopard you will not be able to do it with update disk unless you install Tiger (or the previous OS) first. And that's a pain in the ass.

ruckus
Oct 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told you can get leopard for the $69 student discount at college stores only. The online student discount has gone up.

Again, my friend told me that and it may have already been discussed but i figured i'd throw it out there.

hotdamn
Oct 19, 2007, 09:07 AM
It will be launched in Canada that data as well. But we're kinda the 51st state (sorry Porto Rico...) :D

where in Ottawa are you getting yours from? or are you making a trip to Montreal/Toronto? haha

chrisdazzo
Oct 19, 2007, 09:08 AM
Woohoo! I just ordered Leopard from my college store for a mere $69.00! They should get it sometime that morning, and I am so excited! :D Downloading it, psh, that is so... well, illegal.

guzhogi
Oct 19, 2007, 09:11 AM
I wonder if the Leopard Discs would be full installs or just upgrade DVDs? It would kinda suck to do a clean install if they were just upgrade DVDs. You first have to install Tiger and then Leopard. I remember that was the case when 10.2 came out: my university just got new G4 iMacs w/ 10.2 upgrade disks. If I wanted to wipe out my hard drive and start fresh, I had to install 10.1 & and then install 10.2. That was awful.

Deefuzz
Oct 19, 2007, 09:12 AM
Sweetness, I hope the Apple stores here have tshirts a-plenty!

iBunny
Oct 19, 2007, 09:15 AM
Yes, you do sound like an ass.
Wow… what an atitude… or is there an off-chance you were being "funny"?
:rolleyes:

lol yeah. Most of the time I serve outside of the US anyway.

I think with the technology we have today, every launch should be worldwide.

twoodcc
Oct 19, 2007, 09:21 AM
i'll be there, getting my free tshirt. do you have to buy leopard to get the shirt?

so what do you think? you get the shirt for just showing up?

InLikeALion
Oct 19, 2007, 09:26 AM
I wonder if the Leopard Discs would be full installs or just upgrade DVDs? It would kinda suck to do a clean install if they were just upgrade DVDs. You first have to install Tiger and then Leopard. I remember that was the case when 10.2 came out: my university just got new G4 iMacs w/ 10.2 upgrade disks. If I wanted to wipe out my hard drive and start fresh, I had to install 10.1 & and then install 10.2. That was awful.

There is a trick that works on previous versions of Windows upgrades - you put in the upgrade disc on a new system, and when it says it needs to verify the previous OS, you could pop out the Windows Upgrade, pop in a copy of older Windows, let it verify, then pop it back out, put in the Upgrade again, and let it roll. I wonder if this works with OS X as well?

Orng
Oct 19, 2007, 09:45 AM
T-shirts are SO September 10. Who wears a logo shirt anymore?

Give me a canvas bag with the Leopard logo. The grocery store sells 'em for two bucks, they can't be that expensive.

Then, if I'm not walking out of the grocery store every week carrying my produce in an OS X ad, then my wife will be carrying a knitting project around in it.

vassillios
Oct 19, 2007, 09:58 AM

You can see what kind of shipping is included my going to your account and clicking on View Order Details, shipping method is on the left...mine says "Priority Overnite".

hadleydb
Oct 19, 2007, 09:59 AM
WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! Leopard can howell at the full moon on Friday the 26th!!!

:eek::D:eek::D:apple:

welshy1812
Oct 19, 2007, 09:59 AM

You do realise that it will be released in the UK before the US? Other places will get it before the UK as well.

...and yes, you are an ass.

I just read your next post, fair enough! :)

arkitect
Oct 19, 2007, 10:01 AM

It's a Leopard… not a wolf… ;) Leopards don't howl, in fact they are pretty quiet predators. :D

vassillios
Oct 19, 2007, 10:07 AM

you should do a clean install, especially if booting for the very first time. When doing a clean install, you can choose not to install certain languages and/or printer drivers....which can save a considerable amount of space.

dogtanian
Oct 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
You do realise that it will be released in the UK before the US? Other places will get it before the UK as well.

...and yes, you are an ass.

I just read your next post, fair enough! :)

LOL, didn't think about that.

And also, would anybody 'actually' wear this free XXXL T shirt? I do hope not...

Eric Lewis
Oct 19, 2007, 10:20 AM
anything on Canada?

goosnarrggh
Oct 19, 2007, 10:21 AM
There is a trick that works on previous versions of Windows upgrades - you put in the upgrade disc on a new system, and when it says it needs to verify the previous OS, you could pop out the Windows Upgrade, pop in a copy of older Windows, let it verify, then pop it back out, put in the Upgrade again, and let it roll. I wonder if this works with OS X as well?

The retail boxed version of Leopard can be used to freshly install an OS on my wiped-clean PowerBook. I see no reason to expect that they'd want to act differently for Leopard.

I've seen this question raised before, but I didn't see an answer:
How is Apple able to distribute a single DVD that will be bootable on both PPC and Intel computers? I understand that once the OS is up and running it can read the metadata at the beginning of a Universal Binary to decide where to look for the appropriate files for its architecture. But is the same mechanism in place in the boot code of all eligible Macs? Or is Apple selling a double-sided DVD? Or a two-disc set?

goosnarrggh
Oct 19, 2007, 10:32 AM
anything on Canada?

The Canadian online Apple Store has the same October 26 delivery offer as the US Store for pre-orders.

As far as buying Leopard at Apple company stores... Well, that's irrelevant for me because I don't live close enough to Toronto or Laval to justify the trip just to buy 1 item.

Now, authorized resellers... Well, this local store's front page seems to suggest that they'll be selling on October 26 along with the company stores. We'll see.
http://www.pcmedic.com/index.html

Orng
Oct 19, 2007, 10:46 AM

It's a Leopard… not a wolf… ;) Leopards don't howl, in fact they are pretty quiet predators. :D

Strictly speaking, they don't Howell either. Unless it just ate Thurston and Lovey.

Gilligan!

OldBobsledGuy
Oct 19, 2007, 10:52 AM
Your "free" tee shirt is subsidized by the iPhone early adopters...

I look forward to updating to leopard but will wait...

:D

Dagless
Oct 19, 2007, 11:02 AM
T-shirts are SO September 10.

What?

beez1717
Oct 19, 2007, 11:18 AM
so If I preorder it, will I get it before most of the world?

If I buy a new mac, will I get it before most of the world, and most importantly, Will I get a "free 13-inch laptop with Mac OS X Leopard"? (http://apple.qj.net/Rumor-free-13-inch-laptop-with-Mac-OS-X-Leopard/pg/49/aid/105349)

LOLS!!!?!!!:)

The retail boxed version of Leopard can be used to freshly install an OS on my wiped-clean PowerBook. I see no reason to expect that they'd want to act differently for Leopard.

I've seen this question raised before, but I didn't see an answer:
How is Apple able to distribute a single DVD that will be bootable on both PPC and Intel computers? I understand that once the OS is up and running it can read the metadata at the beginning of a Universal Binary to decide where to look for the appropriate files for its architecture. But is the same mechanism in place in the boot code of all eligible Macs? Or is Apple selling a double-sided DVD? Or a two-disc set?

I think that what will happen is this: Leopard is a Universal App of sorts, just small differences in the dependencies are what make them diffrerent.

hadleydb
Oct 19, 2007, 11:32 AM

Oh yeah... I guess I'm just thinking of Halloween lol. What if Steve Jobs turns into a Werewolf and hands out free copies of Leopard unknowingly! :eek:

On a more serious note: Anyone dressing up as Leopards and dancing around the Apple store?:confused:

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 11:34 AM

WOW, what a complete ASS you are. What you think because you live in the US that you are special and people in other countries are somehow 'lower' than you. I live in the US but I do not in anyway think that someone in Franch, Denmark, England, Japan or wherever deserves anything less. As far as WHO CARES about shipping to other countries on the 26th, the people in the other countires care you idiot!

Orng
Oct 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
T-shirts are SO September 10. Who wears a logo shirt anymore?

Give me a canvas bag with the Leopard logo.

What?

Do I really have to explain this?

In simpler times, ie. sept 10 and earlier, all we cared about was OJ Simpson, what Britney was wearing, and Presidential interns, and people appreciated a free logo shirt.

But now, we live in dangerous days; a whole new OJ trial, watching Britney self-destruct, defining "intern" in terminology the President would understand... we have a LOT more on our minds, which is why we are less dazzled by free XXL logo shirts, but we would probably line up for the chance to bring our groceries home in a canvas bag with a Leopard ad on it. :)

Admittedly, this could probably be just a personal preference brought on by the big 3-0, but it's not completely wrong; more savvy consumers need to be bribed into carrying around ads in new and engaging ways, I don't want to toss out another t-shirt, give me something I'll use a lot.

Peace
Oct 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
You will be getting the update disks, NOT the full version that Apple is selling for $129. If you ever need to re-install Leopard you will not be able to do it with update disk unless you install Tiger (or the previous OS) first. And that's a pain in the ass.

This is the Apple world not Windows.

A. The "upgrade disk" for Leopard is the retail version of Leopard.No difference.
B. When you buy a Mac you get whats called "install disks".Usually 2.
The first disk normally holds the O/S and disk two has iLife'08.

There IS NO difference between an "upgrade disk" and a "retail disk"

-----------

When Tiger was released Developers were the last to get a hard copy.Consumers got it first.Developers got Tiger client and server in a sleeve mailed to them around the same time the monthly ADC mailing goes out.

And I believe the GM of Tiger wasn't available for download until a week after the retail version was shipped.It may have been the same way with Panther and Jaguar before that.I forget.

Companies like Adobe already have a GM build of the newest version.
When Apple declares a GM they normally send copies to the top-tier vendors like Adobe and Microsoft to insure compatibility.

-----------------

Apple will make sure Leopard is at your door on the 26th because it's sort of a tradition in Apple land that everybody gets to go ooooooo and ahhhhhhh at the same time.Plus or minus a day or two depending on whether or not the end user lives in a major market area.If you live out in the sticks you can expect a delay of a day due to the irregular routing.

----------------

In the case of Apple's O/S this is one time when it's really "mostly" made in the USA with duplication plants stamping out the disks as we sit here typing.This is one reason people in the U.S. normally receive shipment first.

Taylor C
Oct 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
Apple has posted a 27min Guided Tour for Leopard. http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

milo
Oct 19, 2007, 11:57 AM

There are plenty of builds, but many potential pirates want the GM and not just any late build since they'd end up having to go to the trouble of reinstalling. In the past, there has been rampant piracy of the GM version before release since it was available outside the company. Looks like this time apple made a good call if the retail version still hasn't leaked yet.

There will definitely be an early torrent of it, probably a day or two early at least, but that's better than it being out a couple weeks early like in the past.

Nope, it just means Adobe is testing compatibility as they have been for the last few months, on the latest released beta. Which is probably 99.999% identical to the GM.

I don't think they did with Tiger either.

I'm pretty sure they did, they just didn't declare it GM until after they had shipped it to devs.

There's no such thing as "update disks", all OSX install disks will install from scratch onto a blank drive. I don't think ANY OSX install disk has required having an earlier version of the OS installed. What they may be is disks that aren't universal installs for any machine, but disks that only work on that particular model. But with apple cutting the deadline so close, that's unlikely. They'll probably just include the standard 10.5 disks and switch to machine specific ones later.

jackc
Oct 19, 2007, 12:19 PM
By the way, if you haven't seen it yet, Apple put up a guided tour video on the home page.

chr1s60
Oct 19, 2007, 12:22 PM
You can see what kind of shipping is included my going to your account and clicking on View Order Details, shipping method is on the left...mine says "Priority Overnite".

Mine also says Priority Overnite. Nice find, I didn't notice that over there.

SpastikMonkii
Oct 19, 2007, 12:28 PM
This will sound really dumb, but I've only ever bought apple stuff online before. Can you walk into the Apple store and buy a macbook pro and walk out with it in hand? I always thought you had to order them from the store. What if I wanna change the harddrive or something as an upgrade? Can the stores do educational discounts? I'm considering driving down next week if this is true!

ruckus
Oct 19, 2007, 12:36 PM
This will sound really dumb, but I've only ever bought apple stuff online before. Can you walk into the Apple store and buy a macbook pro and walk out with it in hand? I always thought you had to order them from the store. What if I wanna change the harddrive or something as an upgrade? Can the stores do educational discounts? I'm considering driving down next week if this is true!

Yeah you can walk in and buy one. I think they do upgrades, and i know they do edu discounts.

SthrnCmfrtr
Oct 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
WOW, what a complete ASS you are. What you think because you live in the US that you are special and people in other countries are somehow 'lower' than you. I live in the US but I do not in anyway think that someone in Franch, Denmark, England, Japan or wherever deserves anything less. As far as WHO CARES about shipping to other countries on the 26th, the people in the other countires care you idiot!

Typical commie babble :rolleyes: What you *******s fail to recognize is that people in other countries ARE 'lower' than us. Otherwise, why would God have created them in some dull commie country like France instead of in the US like decent people? There's a reason they're all trying to come over here, silly.

Now if we could just get all the idiot socialists out of this country, the US would be a lot better place.

Heh. Wonder if I'll get banned for satire.

Slip
Oct 19, 2007, 12:54 PM
Typical commie babble :rolleyes: What you *******s fail to recognize is that people in other countries ARE 'lower' than us.
S'rich coming from a nation of immigrants... ;)

gri
Oct 19, 2007, 01:28 PM

Go to the one on 59 and 5th, SE corner of Central Park. Its one of the flagship stores (if not the one), only one open 24/7. They usually have everything on stock.;)

Mactronix
Oct 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
unlucky me, i've pre-ordered mine from the applestore :(

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 02:11 PM
Typical commie babble :rolleyes: What you *******s fail to recognize is that people in other countries ARE 'lower' than us. Otherwise, why would God have created them in some dull commie country like France instead of in the US like decent people? There's a reason they're all trying to come over here, silly.

Now if we could just get all the idiot socialists out of this country, the US would be a lot better place.

Heh. Wonder if I'll get banned for satire.

As people have pointed out in other posts it is a worlwide launch, the counters on different countries version of the Apple site are counting down to their Oct 26th at 6pm and so most everyone else will get it before the US anyway.

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
so what do you think? you get the shirt for just showing up?

YES!

Leopard arrives Friday, October 26.
The world premiere of Leopard, the biggest upgrade to Mac OS X, is October 26. And on that big day, the Apple Retail Store is the place to be. Join us from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and be the first to experience the world’s most advanced operating system. And if you’re one of the first 500 guests, you’ll go home with a special edition Leopard T-shirt. See you there.

TurboSC
Oct 19, 2007, 02:17 PM

haha that would be pretty awesome actually. I remember back in the day Gateway 2000 would give you a little plush cow toy when you bought a computer. those were the days...

hadleydb
Oct 19, 2007, 03:13 PM
Is the Leopard preview giving anyone else problems? The images are behind what the dude is saying etc. It pauses and stutters. I downloaded it. Maybe it's this crappy work PC I'm on. :eek:

zombitronic
Oct 19, 2007, 03:23 PM
When I was waiting in line for my iPhone, I didn't see anyone there that would've fit into the shirts they were giving away. It was mostly average weight, over caffeinated 20-something year olds. Does someone in Apple Marketing really think that most Apple users are overweight? Or is it the ghetto-fabulous style?

We're the over-ambitious ones that travel far and wide to Mac Mecca to pick up a product in person. We're burning calories on the way! ...Okay, so most of us drive, and maybe we stopped to get some bakery from the coffee shop right by the store, but still. True, many Americans are overweight, but what about the rest of us? I call discrimination!! And this coming from a company named after a fruit.

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 03:40 PM
When I was waiting in line for my iPhone, I didn't see anyone there that would've fit into the shirts they were giving away. It was mostly average weight, over caffeinated 20-something year olds. Does someone in Apple Marketing really think that most Apple users are overweight? Or is it the ghetto-fabulous style?

We're the over-ambitious ones that travel far and wide to Mac Mecca to pick up a product in person. We're burning calories on the way! ...Okay, so most of us drive, and maybe we stopped to get some bakery from the coffee shop right by the store, but still. True, many Americans are overweight, but what about the rest of us? I call discrimination!! And this coming from a company named after a fruit.

It would be unreasonable to expect Apple to cater to everyones sizes and sepcifically gie out t-shirts for each person based on their size requirments. As is the case with most t-shirt giveaways from any company, the one size fits all approach is the easiest to deliver.

psychofreak
Oct 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
Is the Leopard preview giving anyone else problems? The images are behind what the dude is saying etc. It pauses and stutters. I downloaded it. Maybe it's this crappy work PC I'm on. :eek:

Fine over here...

hadleydb
Oct 19, 2007, 03:45 PM
Fine over here...

Must be this PC then... I will have to watch it when I get home. Thank you.

edit: Just saw the other thread.

MacsRgr8
Oct 19, 2007, 03:51 PM

Complete nonsense.

What is this based on?
Previous experiences with Windows? :confused:

zombitronic
Oct 19, 2007, 04:19 PM
It would be unreasonable to expect Apple to cater to everyones sizes and sepcifically gie out t-shirts for each person based on their size requirments. As is the case with most t-shirt giveaways from any company, the one size fits all approach is the easiest to deliver.

Yeah but their one size fit almost no one.

spishack
Oct 19, 2007, 04:25 PM
FYI--The quote in this story about discs being included with new Macs IS NOT TRUE.

I have confirmed with Apple (both employees and their higher-ups, as well as business reps from the stores) that there will be NO DROP-IN DISCS included with new Macs.

If you buy a new Mac on launch day you WILL NOT RECEIVE LEOPARD as a drop-in. You'll need to do the mail-in to get a disc.

I have submitted this information to MacRumors so that they can update their post, but until then I wanted everyone to know.

Peace
Oct 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
FYI--The quote in this story about discs being included with new Macs IS NOT TRUE.

I have confirmed with Apple (both employees and their higher-ups, as well as business reps from the stores) that there will be NO DROP-IN DISCS included with new Macs.

If you buy a new Mac on launch day you WILL NOT RECEIVE LEOPARD as a drop-in. You'll need to do the mail-in to get a disc.

I have submitted this information to MacRumors so that they can update their post, but until then I wanted everyone to know.

If that turns out to be true it really confirms my suspicions that OS 10.5 Leopard is selling like hot cakes and Apple is ( in the beginning ) going to have some problems keeping stock.

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 04:43 PM
Yeah but their one size fit almost no one.

if the one size is overly large then it should fit most as the argument earlier was that the t-shirt are too big and not everyone is overweight

BigPrince
Oct 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
If that turns out to be true it really confirms my suspicions that OS 10.5 Leopard is selling like hot cakes and Apple is ( in the beginning ) going to have some problems keeping stock.

Or they simply wont have enough made cause it took so damn long to get it GM.

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 04:54 PM
Complete nonsense.

What is this based on?
Previous experiences with Windows? :confused:

i agree. Apple doesn't make 'full' and 'upgrade' versions of OSX as Microsoft does with Windows, OSX always comes in ONE version only that you can either use for a full clean install or an upgrade, your choice, but there isn't two separate versions out there.

zombitronic
Oct 19, 2007, 05:04 PM
if the one size is overly large then it should fit most as the argument earlier was that the t-shirt are too big and not everyone is overweight

What? So, if the shirt doesn't fit because it's too large it should fit most people because the shirts are too big and most people aren't? Are you saying it should fit because a skinny person can fit into a huge shirt but a huge person can't fit into a skinny shirt? My head hurts.

milo
Oct 19, 2007, 05:19 PM
What? So, if the shirt doesn't fit because it's too large it should fit most people because the shirts are too big and most people aren't? Are you saying it should fit because a skinny person can fit into a huge shirt but a huge person can't fit into a skinny shirt? My head hurts.

Yeah, I'm surprised there's so much discussion about something that's just basic common sense.

A little person can wear a big shirt, it will be baggy.
A big person won't fit into a small shirt.

Therefore a big shirt can be worn by more people which is why "one-size" items are big.

goosnarrggh
Oct 19, 2007, 05:31 PM
I think that what will happen is this: Leopard is a Universal App of sorts, just small differences in the dependencies are what make them diffrerent.

Yeah, that makes sense for the bulk of the applications that make up the OS. Again, I am comfortable with the concept of Universal Applications in general.

But the computer geek inside me is wondering, though, exactly what mechanism is used to actually boot off the DVD when you first insert it in the drive? I mean, some Macs are running OpenFirmware on PPC CPUs, and others are running EFI on Intel CPUs.

How, with a single boot sector on most removable media, is the computer going to decide which code set (PPC or Intel) to load in those first few nanoseconds without the benefit of knowing what a Universal Binary is? (Or are OpenFirmware/EFI themselves already aware of the concept of fat binaries?)

I'm sure there's a reasonable answer out there, and it's driving me crazy that I can't think of it. I'm just hoping someone out there will be kind enough to educate me.

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 05:33 PM

If the shirt is big it's more likely to fit more people, big and small whereas if it is small it's only going to fit small people.. so common sense says that if you are giving t-shirts out to random unknown people you should make them all on the large size and therefore more chances are they will fit everyone

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised there's so much discussion about something that's just basic common sense.

Therefore a big shirt can be worn by more people which is why "one-size" items are big.

So am I and I am amazed that people can't understand that a one size fits all shirt is obviously going to have to be on the large side otherwise it won't fit all!!

zombitronic
Oct 19, 2007, 06:52 PM

But that just looks lame, and Apple is about style.

zombitronic
Oct 19, 2007, 06:55 PM
So am I and I am amazed that people can't understand that a one size fits all shirt is obviously going to have to be on the large side otherwise it won't fit all!!

People understand this just fine. The question is, are there more XL Apple users or M-L?

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 06:56 PM

It's a free t-shirt, get over it! Go to GAP or some other yuppy store if you want stylish clothes

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 06:57 PM

People understand this just fine. The question is, are there more XL Apple users or M-L?

Apple or ANY other company giving away free stuff doesn't take a demographic to see what the average size of their customer are, so the sensible choice is to go bigger that way more people can use the shirt. It's common sense and i am not quite sure what the whole point of this argument is.

Thertel88
Oct 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
No scratch cards during this release?

somberlaine
Oct 19, 2007, 08:17 PM
I am planing on buying the family pack and finally get to use my iphone refund. I am wondering how many people will be waiting in line for this OS release. I live in northern VA and planing on going to Pentagon city mall.

lamina
Oct 19, 2007, 08:19 PM
I wish Apple would send us pre-orderers a shirt. I will be looking for one on eBay for sure.

nvbrit
Oct 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
I wish Apple would send us pre-orderers a shirt. I will be looking for one on eBay for sure.

or you can just go line up at your Apple store to get one if you want one that badly

Quillz
Oct 19, 2007, 10:37 PM
my question is what is on the internal build that has not been released to developers...

probably the ultimate "one more thing" (or just some more of the promised new features of leopard that we were clamoring about back in January...)

(I know in all likelihood they're not very different... but I figured I would get the idea rolling...)
Based on what I've seen on Apple's site and the guided tour, it seems that 9A581 is almost identical to 9A559, other than a potentially new Front Row icon. Yes, even the hideous Aqua scroll bars are still there...

bęte noire
Oct 19, 2007, 10:46 PM
I do know that I will be very angry if I do not get Leopard on or before the 26th.

Really? You are keen. I'll probably get Leopard around February after the 11.1 or 11.2 update is out. No way am I going to trust my data/backups with version .0 of Time Machine. Remember how Apple had to pay $$$ for the recovering of customers' data after the Gold Master release of File Vault ate it?

Very nice of all you "must have it on the 26th" brigade, to test the initial release of Time Machine for me. :D

"Hey, I've lost all my files, but at least I've got a t-shirt that doesn't fit." :p

Quillz
Oct 19, 2007, 11:02 PM
None of the Leopard builds before 9A581 will expire. Thus, I suppose if you really wanted to, you could run 9A466 or 9A551 forever...
I'm suprised no one has popped up and randomly said that safari was snappier.
Because it's not. It's still very fast, but it runs pretty much the same on both Tiger and Leopard.
Leopard will be pre-loaded on all new Macs starting October 26.

rusher
Oct 20, 2007, 12:12 AM
Quote:

No Drop In Discs!

I hear otherwise:

There WILL be drop in DVDs in all new Macs ready for the 26th. If you buy the mac before 6 they'll remove the disc and ask you to fill in the $10 thing online. (why would anyone buy before 6?)

The computers in store will have leopard installed all day on the 26th for demo purposes.

The drop in leopard is the same as the retail one.

bogg
Oct 20, 2007, 10:20 AM
Quote:

There WILL be drop in DVDs in all new Macs ready for the 26th. If you buy the mac before 6 they'll remove the disc and ask you to fill in the $10 thing online. (why would anyone buy before 6?)

The computers in store will have leopard installed all day on the 26th for demo purposes.

Yes, that's the standard procedure. Buy a Mac before the 6pm and you won't get it, buy it after and you will get leopard included. As all Macs are shipped with the latest OS X version available at that time. (in box or preinstalled)

majordude
Oct 20, 2007, 10:33 AM
BTW, is 6:00 PM local time, Apple time or East Coast time? I am assuming it is local time... which means that New York will have the version three hours before Apple themselves will have it! :confused:

psychofreak
Oct 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
BTW, is 6:00 PM local time, Apple time or East Coast time? I am assuming it is local time... which means that New York will have the version three hours before Apple themselves will have it! :confused:

And the UK will have it before the US, and Oz will have it before us...

Doctor Q
Oct 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
BTW, is 6:00 PM local time, Apple time or East Coast time? I am assuming it is local time... which means that New York will have the version three hours before Apple themselves will have it! :confused:It's local time everywhere in the U.S. If you buy it in your time zone and then slip over the nearest time zone border to the west, you can gloat over people still waiting.

milo
Oct 20, 2007, 01:38 PM

The fact that you're asking that shows that you DON'T understand it. An XL person won't fit into a medium shirt. Period.

This is a FREE shirt they're giving out. While some may think apple is "all about style", for something that is free, they're going to keep their cost and complexity down. Which means that multiple sizes or only having a middle size isn't an option since it means sending some people home with a shirt they can't even wear.

This whole discussion doesn't even have anything to do with apple. Virtually every company that gives out free T-shirts does one size fits all, and that one size is always a big one.

It's pretty amazing that people would whine about getting free stuff, if people are going to be ungrateful asses about it maybe they just should avoid the whining by not giving out freebies at all.

snugharbor
Oct 20, 2007, 01:43 PM
I also ordered via the US Apple store online and shipping is: Ships by: DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH.

Better yet I chose the free shipping that was offered and the shipping method is: PRIORITY OVERNITE :D Wooohooo :apple:

Noper, here is what it says when I look at my order:

Product Qty.
MAC OS X 10.5 UTD FULFILLMENT-INT
Ships by: OCTOBER 26TH

spishack
Oct 20, 2007, 02:46 PM
Quote:
I hear otherwise:

Well, you're wrong. I have confirmed with Apple employees and higher ups at Apple corporate, as well as business reps at two stores. No drop ins. And now Macs with Leopard preinstalled (except demo units) on launch day.

rusher
Oct 20, 2007, 02:57 PM
Well, you're wrong. I have confirmed with Apple employees and higher ups at Apple corporate, as well as business reps at two stores. No drop ins. And now Macs with Leopard preinstalled (except demo units) on launch day.

I guess we'll see. This is what was said to me by a friend of mine who is doing an overnight shift on thursday to put the drop ins in.

Maybe it's only certain stores that are doing this but that wouldn't be like apple.

According to the guys you spoke to, when will the computers come with leopard so i can buy mine already!!!

zombitronic
Oct 20, 2007, 03:38 PM
It's a free t-shirt, get over it! Go to GAP or some other yuppy store if you want stylish clothes

The fact that you're asking that shows that you DON'T understand it. An XL person won't fit into a medium shirt. Period.

This is a FREE shirt they're giving out. While some may think apple is "all about style", for something that is free, they're going to keep their cost and complexity down. Which means that multiple sizes or only having a middle size isn't an option since it means sending some people home with a shirt they can't even wear.

This whole discussion doesn't even have anything to do with apple. Virtually every company that gives out free T-shirts does one size fits all, and that one size is always a big one.

It's pretty amazing that people would whine about getting free stuff, if people are going to be ungrateful asses about it maybe they just should avoid the whining by not giving out freebies at all.

No need to get hostile, friends. I know it's free, and it's cool that they're giving out anything extra for free. I acknowledge your point, but you don't seem to be willing to acknowledge mine, which is that a lot of people aren't going to wear a ridiculously oversized shirt, which also means
sending some people home with a shirt they can't even wear.

And yes, I know that technically they CAN wear it. It might make a good shirt for sleeping in. No need to insult me back about not understanding your argument.

I'll just keep mine as a collector's item.

MaskedPhantom
Oct 20, 2007, 07:55 PM

Here, here! Truer words have never been spoken (well typed).

JGwinn1048
Oct 21, 2007, 12:40 AM
Noper, here is what it says when I look at my order:

Product Qty.
MAC OS X 10.5 UTD FULFILLMENT-INT
Ships by: OCTOBER 26TH

My status has changed:

Prepared for Shipment <~~Note
Product / Part No.
Qty

MAC OS X 10.5 RETAIL-INT
MB021Z/A

Ships by: DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH

bogg
Oct 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
My status has changed:

Prepared for Shipment <~~Note
Product / Part No.
Qty

MAC OS X 10.5 RETAIL-INT
MB021Z/A

Ships by: DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH

I think the Retail Orders have a higher priority than the Up-to-date ones and that is why they've got "shipping on october 26" while the retails have "delivers on october 26"

swampfox
Oct 21, 2007, 04:24 PM

look dude, anything that has the apple logo on it is style!:apple:

kermit4161
Oct 21, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm psyc'd... I had originally ordered through Amazon, but even with 2 day shipping, I wouldn't get it until the 30th...

Then it hit me, cancel with Amazon, and order through Apple with my student discount and have it on the 26th :D

Paying sales tax (and no shipping) bumped up what I was paying to Amazon by a whole $3... and I get it 4 days earlier!!

Now if I could snag a t-shirt....

annexw
Oct 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
I have confirmed with Apple employees and higher ups at Apple corporate, as well as business reps at two stores. No drop ins.

Seconded.

My Apple Rep says the same, no drop ins due to poor regulation last time and cost-over head. We are being advised to include the cost of the upgrade and fill out the "up-to-date" form for them.

We're looking into returning our closed box inventory and re-ordering after the 26th to avoid all the paper-work hassle.

rusher
Oct 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
Seconded.

My Apple Rep says the same, no drop ins due to poor regulation last time and cost-over head. We are being advised to include the cost of the upgrade and fill out the "up-to-date" form for them.

We're looking into returning our closed box inventory and re-ordering after the 26th to avoid all the paper-work hassle.

Fair enough then-I guess apple Canada might have it sorted out cause they definitely said they would have a leopard dvd in the box at 6pm. I hope for my sake they do!!!

spishack
Oct 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
Seconded.

Thanks for the second. Glad someone else agreed.

RE: Canada being a different policy--I sincerely doubt it. If you get a Mac on the 26th with Leopard, please do let us know. But I have 100% confirmation in the US that there will not be drop-ins, so I don't think the Canada policy would be any different...

annexw
Oct 23, 2007, 07:30 PM
No worries, spishack. :) Its straight from my reps email.

If you get a Mac on the 26th with Leopard, please do let us know.

Yes please, as if they are doing it from some stores and not mine, I'll be forced to raise holy hell with my rep.

I would be surprised to see a different policy from Canada to the USA, but it wouldn't be the first time I suspect.

Macintosh Sauce
Oct 23, 2007, 11:45 PM
I decided to order Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (Family Pack) from Apple, because I don't want to wait for hours in line just for a t-shirt. I am going to be backing up my data all Friday morning until it arrives via FedEx. FedEx always gets to my door before noon, so I will have it six hours earlier than I would if I went to wait in line at the Apple Store.

Krevnik
Oct 24, 2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah, that makes sense for the bulk of the applications that make up the OS. Again, I am comfortable with the concept of Universal Applications in general.

But the computer geek inside me is wondering, though, exactly what mechanism is used to actually boot off the DVD when you first insert it in the drive? I mean, some Macs are running OpenFirmware on PPC CPUs, and others are running EFI on Intel CPUs.

How, with a single boot sector on most removable media, is the computer going to decide which code set (PPC or Intel) to load in those first few nanoseconds without the benefit of knowing what a Universal Binary is? (Or are OpenFirmware/EFI themselves already aware of the concept of fat binaries?)

I'm sure there's a reasonable answer out there, and it's driving me crazy that I can't think of it. I'm just hoping someone out there will be kind enough to educate me.

OpenFirmware/EFI do not load the kernel directly. Instead, they load and launch the bootloader (there are two in OS X... BootX for OpenFirmware, and boot.efi for EFI). These know enough to be able to load the kernel for their platform (and can be made aware of fat binaries without changes to the firmware).

And it isn't like fat binaries are magic or anything like that, the Mach-O format can contain multiple binary images inside it, which can easily be referenced. If something can load Mach-O, it can easily load a particular binary image from it. Each bootloader knows what entry in the Mach-O kernel binary to load.

antdgar
Oct 24, 2007, 03:29 AM
Leopard is now on usenet. Hooray for leopard.

drlunanerd
Oct 24, 2007, 09:48 AM
Apple Store UK Leopard Retail order here - status has been updated today to "Prepared for Shipment". It's sad but this excites me. I weely weely want it for Fwiday! :D

rusher
Oct 25, 2007, 01:53 AM

Yes please, as if they are doing it from some stores and not mine, I'll be forced to raise holy hell with my rep.

I would be surprised to see a different policy from Canada to the USA, but it wouldn't be the first time I suspect.

LOL. Who are these rep people? Well my friend who works at one of the stores here is still on to do the night shift on thursday to do drop ins ( I'm Sure apple wouldn't pay for a dozen ppl to work an overnight shift for nothing. I'll let you know what the outcome is

xentrik
Oct 26, 2007, 01:58 PM
I woke up this morning at 9:30am to my older brother yelling, "yo, you need to sign for a package that's here!" ... and by 10am I was up and running with the new Big Cat sporting a shiny new black hologram coat.

I didn't expect my pre-order from the Apple Store to arrive this early. While my friends are waiting for the 6pm mark, I've been playing with Leopard the whole day. Did a Clean Install with all the extraneous options (X11, Language Translations) removed, took 14 minutes!

Leopard is a breath of fresh air for my first-gen Macbook Pro.
All in all, a great way to invest that $100 iPhone credit.

zombitronic
Oct 26, 2007, 03:33 PM
look dude, anything that has the apple logo on it is style!:apple:

True that. I got a plain black T-Shirt on ebay with a black :apple: printed on it...in MEDIUM. I love it.

fronheiser
Oct 26, 2007, 03:49 PM

Well, I would call your rep, then.

I just called the local Apple store, because I'm not buying a new machine tonight if I don't get Leopard handed to me as I plan on doing an Erase and Install with a re-install of iLife '08. He said any machine purchased tonight would have a Leopard DVD inside the box.

zombitronic
Oct 26, 2007, 07:13 PM
Medium, Large, and Extra Large shirts!! See, it doesn't hurt to complain.

fronheiser
Oct 26, 2007, 09:06 PM

I just called the local Apple store, because I'm not buying a new machine tonight if I don't get Leopard handed to me as I plan on doing an Erase and Install with a re-install of iLife '08. He said any machine purchased tonight would have a Leopard DVD inside the box.

Quoting myself:

M, L, and XL shirts. Leopard dropped into the box of each new Mac.

Some people got bad information.

jessep28
Oct 26, 2007, 09:20 PM
I decided to order Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (Family Pack) from Apple, because I don't want to wait for hours in line just for a t-shirt. I am going to be backing up my data all Friday morning until it arrives via FedEx. FedEx always gets to my door before noon, so I will have it six hours earlier than I would if I went to wait in line at the Apple Store.

Hours in line for a T-Shirt?? My Apple retail store still had a box and a half when I showed up at 8PM (they close at 9) and there were more staff playing with the OS than customers (preoccupied with the iPods and making funny pictures of themselves in Photo Booth).

This wasn't a store opening or iPhone launch..you probably would have gotten in and out in no time.

Needless to say, after testing it for a while, I passed on the $130 to purchase the new OS. Nothing really jumped out at me at revolutionary or super useful to warrant upgrading.

rusher
Oct 27, 2007, 02:44 PM

Yeah i would as well as my new macbookpro bought after 6pm yesterday came with a drop in of leopard...

Marky_Mark
Oct 28, 2007, 05:03 AM
Please can someone post a picture of the Leopard t-shirt? I'm just curious to see what they look like.

Cheers

Uh, okay, scrub that. I've just found the flickr photos Arn posted links for .... sorry.

jessep28
Oct 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
Please can someone post a picture of the Leopard t-shirt? I'm just curious to see what they look like.

Cheers

Uh, okay, scrub that. I've just found the flickr photos Arn posted links for .... sorry.

Yeah, they were not that special. They make one look like a Star Wars/Space Camp alumni geek so I probably will never wear it in public.

pr0fess0r
Oct 31, 2007, 07:40 PM
Just got my Leopard UTD disk, it does validate the previous install of Tiger first but lets you do an Erase and Install. I wonder if that means I can't reinstall the machine again with installing Tiger first?