PDA

View Full Version : Mother Jones: A Lost War

zimv20
Sep 3, 2003, 08:57 PM
http://www.motherjones.com/news/dailymojo/2003/36/we_538_03c.html

excellent summary of what went wrong, what's going wrong, illustrated by press clippings. e.g.

In March, Meet the Press's Tim Russert posed the following question to Vice President Cheney: "If your analysis is not correct, and we're not treated as liberators but as conquerors, and the Iraqis begin to resist, particularly in Baghdad, do you think the American people are prepared for a long, costly and bloody battle with significant American casualties?"

Cheney's answer: "Well, I don't think it's likely to unfold that way, Tim, because I really do believe that we will be greeted as liberators. I've talked with a lot of Iraqis in the last several months myself, had them to the White House. The president and I have met with them, various groups and individuals, people who have devoted their lives from the outside to trying to change things inside Iraq ... The read we get on the people of Iraq is there is no question but what they want to get rid of Saddam Hussein, and they will welcome as liberators the United States when we come to do that."

Ugg
Sep 3, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by zimv20
http://www.motherjones.com/news/dailymojo/2003/36/we_538_03c.html

excellent summary of what went wrong, what's going wrong, illustrated by press clippings. e.g.

That was an excellent read! Where are the responsible journalists in this country? Are they all cowed by the fluff of gw & co?

mactastic
Sep 3, 2003, 11:35 PM
Nice find. I really enjoyed this part:
"The plan is working. This dramatic escalation of the guerilla war in Iraq is about isolating the United States…. That is the resistance's message to the world - keep out…. Over Turkish coffee…[Ali Shukri, former adviser to King Hussein of Jordan] issued a warning: 'Last week they blew up oil and water. They've attacked the Jordanian Embassy and now the UN, and this has been without the involvement of the Shiites…'

"'So far this resistance is only Sunni. If the Shiites or even a part of them get involved, Iraq will go up in fire and there will be nothing the US, Britain or the UN can do about it. This disease started in the Sunni areas; it's contagious and it will spread to the Shiites.'

"… if the US persists in treating the Iraqi guerilla war only as a bin Laden problem, its rebuilding will fail. George Bush says the perpetrators of Tuesday's attack will be brought to justice. In the trenches, the resistance will be saying: 'Bring 'em on.'"
Let's hope this doesn't happen.