Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Hi
I have a log in on my MAC and so to does my 8 year old. The both of us use Itunes. The problem is I cant seem to easily share my library with her and when Ive tried to copy an album to the public folder so she can see it and download it, I then loose my copy of the album? Doing this is also cumbersome.
Is there anyway in which she can see my library on her log in?
It seems almost easier to share your library over a local network, than on same mac but different log ins.

Many Thanks

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
This is direct from Apple: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93195

Apple said:
To share your music with other accounts on the computer:
Mac OS X (Click to hide)

Quit iTunes.
Locate your iTunes Music Folder. It is stored by default:
~/Music/iTunes or ~/Documents/iTunes/.
These folders cannot be accessed by other accounts on the computer. In order for other users to be able to access your music, you must move it to a publicly accessible location.

The Public folder in your home directory (~/Public), or to another folder outside your home directory that other users have access to, such as /Users/Shared. Tip: The tilde "~" refers to your home folder. For more information see Mac OS X: Using Your Home Directory.

Drag the iTunes Music Folder to a publicly accessible location. Important: Do not move the iTunes folder, the iTunes 4 Music Library file or the iTunes Library.xml file.
Open iTunes.
From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
Click Advanced.
Click the Change button.
Navigate in the Change Music Folder Location dialog to the location of your iTunes Music folder.
Click Choose.
Repeat these steps for each account that is sharing music with other users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.