Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I just bought a Macbook Pro. It should be here next week.

I have a 5G iPod 60 GB with about 30 Gigs of music, video, etc.

I am currently using a Windows XP machine, however last week I had a major iTunes malfunction. iTunes kept freezing up. Soo, I deleted some podcasts (podcasts only) that I had recently subscribed to. Apparently there was a corrupt podcast file. After deleting the files, I restarted my PC. iTunes froze again. I restarted again and then opened iTunes. iTunes worked great, except ALL of my music, video, podcasts were GONE!! I found where the files were stored and loaded them back into iTunes, for the most part. I lost all of my playlists, play counts, rankings, etc. However there are several songs that just disappeared from my PC for some reason. They are gone.

ANYWAY....I have NOT synced my iPod since because all of the information is still stored on the 5G iPod. I want to use my new Macbook Pro as my iTunes/iPod sync from now on.

What program can I use to pull all the information off of my iPod and put onto the new Mac? Also the iPod is currently setup to auto sync everything.

Thanks for any advice.

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to do it. Your iPod is currently Windows formatted, and I don't think any of the 3rd-party software will work. I could be wrong though...

Here's something that could help you:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7899_1-6477981-1.html

There are also lots of software options to download your music back onto your XP machine. If you have an external hard drive you could transfer the files to your Mac (make sure you have the external hard drive formatted correctly, as well).

Anyway, I could very well be wrong - so lets wait for some of the uber smart people to help out! :D

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
You want a recovery program for your iPod first. There are more available than you can count. Try a Google search. some are free, some are shareware, some cost.

If you're set to auto sync and to "open iTunes when ipod is connected", you'll want to try this on a different computer or you risk iTunes launching then you losing all your stuff.

then, you might want to put a bit of thought into burning some backup DVDs of your library and library files (xml). you have a 30Gb library, that's like 8 DVDs. It wouldn't take more than a few hours to burn that and throw the discs in a drawer somewhere.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to do it. Your iPod is currently Windows formatted, and I don't think any of the 3rd-party software will work. I could be wrong though...

Here's something that could help you:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7899_1-6477981-1.html

There are also lots of software options to download your music back onto your XP machine. If you have an external hard drive you could transfer the files to your Mac (make sure you have the external hard drive formatted correctly, as well).

Anyway, I could very well be wrong - so lets wait for some of the uber smart people to help out! :D

Oh, right. Just to add to this... your Mac WILL be able to read your Windows iPod, and allow you to sync it. you should even be able to pull off your music with an app.

It just won't let you do a software update until your restore it (reformat it in the Mac format).

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
Thanks guys!!!!

I will wait for my Mac to arrive and then pull the info off. I restored most everything (except a few songs). I don't know what happened to them?

Anyway, I am using my iPod Touch to get my Podcasts fix.

Thanks!

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Thanks guys!!!!

I will wait for my Mac to arrive and then pull the info off. I restored most everything (except a few songs). I don't know what happened to them?

Anyway, I am using my iPod Touch to get my Podcasts fix.

Thanks!

Good luck. You're going to love your new Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.