PDA

View Full Version : Are you Liberal or Conservative? Poll.

Rezet
Sep 3, 2003, 10:11 PM
I think it would be fun to conduct a poll.
Just type in your reply: Are you "Liberal" or "Conservative".
Dont' have to explain why, just which one...

No need to say, I'm: LIBERAL.

tazo
Sep 3, 2003, 10:17 PM
Moderate

Waluigi
Sep 3, 2003, 10:47 PM
Oh so slightly to the left of moderate.

By the way, is this overall, or social, or economic?

--Waluigi

Rezet
Sep 3, 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Waluigi
Oh so slightly to the left of moderate.

By the way, is this overall, or social, or economic?

--Waluigi
Overall.

RobVanDam
Sep 4, 2003, 05:25 PM
Conservative.

Sayhey
Sep 4, 2003, 07:32 PM
Problem is I don't accept either of the two labels. Most folks would say I'm a lefty, but on some issues I'm conservative. For instance I think a balanced budget is a very good idea and that is a traditionally conservative approach. If I had to accept a label it would be "progressive." Sorry if I'm screwing up your poll. ;)

Pinto
Sep 4, 2003, 08:32 PM
Liberal

mactastic
Sep 5, 2003, 08:13 AM
Moderate

Inu
Sep 5, 2003, 10:35 AM
Do you have to American to poll here?

I do think i am between moderate and liberal, as far as i have read on the web, thats the only stance a non-US-citizen can take.

In case you wonder why: The Conservative Sites i have seen are so much "YAY US!" it actually hurts to read it because as a foreigner i am not able to wear the pink patriotism filter.

sturm375
Sep 5, 2003, 12:08 PM
Liberal:

I believe in trying new things, as opposed to sticking with tradition. I believe in a giving spirit. I believe it is our duty to God to maintain this home we call earth. I believe in helping others, even other species within reason, because we humans have the ability to overcome the "Laws of Nature" including Natural Selection.

Conservative:

I believe in a small government. I want the government to protect my rights, and secondarily my life, and lastly my property. I believe that We The People should be more powerful than Me the President. I believe in fisical responsibility, and against Pork in most of it's forms. I don't believe that compromise is the best way to get things done.

That's what I believe, you can label me what you want.

Waluigi
Sep 5, 2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Inu
Do you have to [be?] American to poll here?

I'm pretty sure your allowed to describe your ideology no matter what country you are from.

--Waluigi

Taft
Sep 5, 2003, 12:53 PM
This is sooooo difficult.

On certain issues I lean very heavily liberal, but on others I lean more libertarian or conservative.

I believe people should be free to do anything they want as long as it doesn't cause harm to society or other people. But I also believe people have the responsibility to aide others, even those people who are deemed "undeserving" of help.

Those are the two principles that generally guide my decision making. To me, that usually means a government which stays the heck out of my business, but still collects taxes for research, infrastructure, defense, and social aide, which are all things I deem as necessary for this country, and any society, to survive and prosper.

And I can't stand terms like "family values" and "religion" in a political conversation. One of my big pet peaves is that some people in this country think its a good idea to tell people how to live their lives. I've found that arguments based on such terms generally have little factual base are are more often rooted in fear and a sense of righteous morality that has nothing to do with the best available solution to a problem.

So, like sturm375, I challenge you to label me.

Taft

raschild
Sep 5, 2003, 01:19 PM
Conservative

Maclarny
Sep 5, 2003, 07:01 PM
Liberal

kinda off subject but what does eveyone think of this quote?
"Without liberals there can be no conservatives."
This can be interpreted in many ways and I have my own interp but I'd like to hear some others.

Durandal7
Sep 5, 2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Maclarny
kinda off subject but what does eveyone think of this quote?
"Without liberals there can be no conservatives."
This can be interpreted in many ways and I have my own interp but I'd like to hear some others.
Well, the way I see it that can work both ways. Without there being an extreme at either end we would have no frame of reference for defining a "liberal" or a "conservative"

I am a centrist with a sharp dislike for the American political parties.

Maclarny
Sep 5, 2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
Well, the way I see it that can work both ways. Without there being an extreme at either end we would have no frame of reference for defining a "liberal" or a "conservative"

I am a centrist with a sharp dislike for the American political parties.

That's one way to interp it.

jelloshotsrule
Sep 5, 2003, 09:46 PM
liberal.

but not a democrat. ;)

3rdpath
Sep 6, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
liberal.

but not a democrat. ;)

dang liberal vegan commies...

don't think i don't know about the hidden PPP agenda.

because i do, i mean i don't...er, ahh

dang those double negatives.

krossfyter
Sep 6, 2003, 02:17 AM
anyone done this? sorry if this is redundant.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

not to sound dumb or anything im just looking for some quick edgumacation... whats the difference between a moderate and an independent? i never really gave that some thought untill now.

Sayhey
Sep 6, 2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter

not to sound dumb or anything im just looking for some quick edgumacation... whats the difference between a moderate and an independent? i never really gave that some thought untill now.

An independent means that you are not affiliated to a political party or to a particular political philosophy. A moderate is a wishy-washy individual with no principles whatsoever --- SORRY, that was a JOKE! I think I was channeling a old monty python routine about social-democrats. Seriously, a moderate is usually thought of as an individual that also takes from ideas from more than one doctrine, in this case both liberal and conservative philosophies, but can be affiliated to a party. It can also mean anybody in the middle of two extremes.

krossfyter
Sep 6, 2003, 03:06 AM
heh... that cracked me up.. wish washy.

alright cool.. gotcha!

vniow
Sep 6, 2003, 02:24 PM
Bitch.

And a registered member of the PPP.

Taft
Sep 6, 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter

This is pretty cool. It gives a better indication than just a left/right distinction.

So, like I said, I have left tendancies and libertarian tendancies (although I was equating libertarian tendancies with conservatism, which isn't 100% accurate).

My graph is included below. I'm a lefty, but still pretty moderate.

Taft

Taft
Sep 6, 2003, 02:31 PM
Here's my politics.

Sayhey
Sep 6, 2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Bitch.

And a registered member of the PPP.

I don't think that party has ballot status yet in California. But, I'm sure that the recall will give it an enormous boost.*

On a personal note I'm saddened to see the removal of those wonderful lips as your avatar, vniow. They helped my pitiful fantasy life every time you posted. ;)

* - has the inner circle of the PPP thought about endorsing a candidate in the recall? I'm sure it could swing the election.

zimv20
Sep 6, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Taft
Here's my politics.

i took that test a few days ago (indeed, it's been posted in this forum at least 3 times since spring) and my dot landed pretty close to yours. i was a little closer to the left/right center.

i wonder at what point we'll all stop discussing left vs. right and start examining libertarian vs. authoritarian. my left/right is moderate, but i'm definitely on the other side of authoritarian.

krossfyter
Sep 6, 2003, 05:04 PM
my graph is pretty similar to tafts.

yeah its better to account for libertarian and authoritarian along with the usual left and right... as opposed to just left and right.

vniow
Sep 6, 2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
* - has the inner circle of the PPP thought about endorsing a candidate in the recall? I'm sure it could swing the election.

I'm not sure if I should be telling you this but Arnold is a member of the PPP, its been very well hidden from the public and many of his staff, when he gets 'elected' he will prepare the way for when California mysteriously falls into the ocean in the summer of 2k16...

tazo
Sep 6, 2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
Seriously, a moderate is usually thought of as an individual that also takes from ideas from more than one doctrine, in this case both liberal and conservative philosophies, but can be affiliated to a party. It can also mean anybody in the middle of two extremes.

That is me to the T! I am surprised by the range of answers to this thread...pretty cool that there are that many varying opinions on MR :)

Sayhey
Sep 6, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by vniow
I'm not sure if I should be telling you this but Arnold is a member of the PPP, its been very well hidden from the public and many of his staff, when he gets 'elected' he will prepare the way for when California mysteriously falls into the ocean in the summer of 2k16...

Not to worry, vniow, I won't tell anyone. This explains a lot about this recall and Arnold's avoidance of the debates. I'm sure he needs to stay out of any forum where his pissing in his pants could give him away. And thanks for the tip, I'll be looking for beachfront property in the Sierras. :cool:

Code101
Sep 7, 2003, 11:30 PM
Conservative!!!