PDA

View Full Version : Britney says we have to trust our President


Sayhey
Sep 4, 2003, 01:43 AM
In an interview as a follow up to her fateful Madonna kiss, Ms. Spears says this:
"Honestly, I think we should just trust our president in every decision that he makes and we should just support that," she said.

Damn, now I'm going to have to reevaluate my whole position on Bush! ;)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/03/britney.spears/index.html

Edit: all you folks out there with dirty minds ignore the double entendre!

zimv20
Sep 4, 2003, 01:55 AM
i bet if she'd said that a week ago, there'd have been no kiss from madonna. :-)

i saw the clip of ms. spears saying that, and she went kinda stepford wives at that moment. so who knows if she really feels that way or if her publicist and other handlers are managing it. i'm kinda curious why she/they felt a need to discuss politics at all.

Sayhey
Sep 4, 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
i bet if she'd said that a week ago, there'd have been no kiss from madonna. :-)

i saw the clip of ms. spears saying that, and she went kinda stepford wives at that moment. so who knows if she really feels that way or if her publicist and other handlers are managing it. i'm kinda curious why she/they felt a need to discuss politics at all.

Could be someone warned her of a repeat of the reaction to the Dixie Chicks. :rolleyes:

mactastic
Sep 4, 2003, 08:11 AM
Well hey, if Jonny Depp can run his mouth, so can Ms. Spears. Nice to know where she stands on the matter though.

IJ Reilly
Sep 4, 2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
Nice to know where she stands on the matter though.

Seriously? Why is that?

Sayhey
Sep 4, 2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
Well hey, if Jonny Depp can run his mouth, so can Ms. Spears. Nice to know where she stands on the matter though.

Of course she has a right to run her mouth as well! My only point was the "my President right or wrong" aspect of what she said was incredibly silly. If she agrees with Bush on something, say so and move on, but we don't live in a monarchy where we have to blindly support our "leader."

IJ Reilly
Sep 4, 2003, 10:54 AM
"Once the war against Saddam begins, we expect every American to support our military, and if they can't do that, to shut up. Americans, and indeed our allies, who actively work against our military once the war is underway will be considered enemies of the state by me. Just fair warning to you, Barbra Streisand, and others who see the world as you do."
--Bill O'Reilly, 2/26/03

zimv20
Sep 4, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
Well hey, if Jonny Depp can run his mouth, so can Ms. Spears.

most certainly. it surprised me only in that i've never heard her be political before. mr. depp has established himself as an outspoken critic of american policy.

that, and the manner in which she spoke, which i've already mentioned.

mactastic
Sep 4, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Seriously? Why is that?

It's nice to see peoples cards on the table. Helps evaluate the rest of their statements. Not that I care much about Britney's deep thought(s), but I always find it interesting which celebs stay out of the mess, and which ones jump in.

zimv20
Sep 4, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
I always find it interesting which celebs stay out of the mess, and which ones jump in.

yes

patrick0brien
Sep 4, 2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Sayhey
all you folks out there with dirty minds ignore the double entendre!

-Dammit!

Dammit, dammit, dammit!

Sayhey
Sep 4, 2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Dammit!

Dammit, dammit, dammit!

LOL! Sorry, patrick0brien, but when you have Bush and Britney Spears in the same story it is just too easy for sophisticated commentators like you! :p

Taft
Sep 4, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
"Once the war against Saddam begins, we expect every American to support our military, and if they can't do that, to shut up. Americans, and indeed our allies, who actively work against our military once the war is underway will be considered enemies of the state by me. Just fair warning to you, Barbra Streisand, and others who see the world as you do."
--Bill O'Reilly, 2/26/03

Ha!

I think this should have been posted in that thread about Al Franken's new book. The Great Bill O'Reilly indeed!

Taft

IJ Reilly
Sep 4, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
It's nice to see peoples cards on the table. Helps evaluate the rest of their statements. Not that I care much about Britney's deep thought(s), but I always find it interesting which celebs stay out of the mess, and which ones jump in.

I guess. I just wonder why anybody would be interested in an actor or pop singer's views on world affairs. These people tend to be terminally clueless about these matters, and only get heard because they live with cameras constantly pointed at their faces.

mactastic
Sep 4, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
I guess. I just wonder why anybody would be interested in an actor or pop singer's views on world affairs. These people tend to be terminally clueless about these matters, and only get heard because they live with cameras constantly pointed at their faces.

Who knows... she might run for govenor someday! :p

Seriously though, a lot of those on the left get all worked up when political pundits go after Alec Baldwin, Johnny Depp, Babs, Martin Sheen. It's a celeb's right to jump in to the fray if they want. Just 'cuz its Britney and she's supporting the pres doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss her. Of course her constant giggling during her CNN interview might lead you to that conclusion, but thats a different matter...

IJ Reilly
Sep 4, 2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
Who knows... she might run for govenor someday! :p

Seriously though, a lot of those on the left get all worked up when political pundits go after Alec Baldwin, Johnny Depp, Babs, Martin Sheen. It's a celeb's right to jump in to the fray if they want. Just 'cuz its Britney and she's supporting the pres doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss her. Of course her constant giggling during her CNN interview might lead you to that conclusion, but thats a different matter...

I dismiss all of them with equal prejudice. :D

If a celebrity studies up on the issues and makes an effort to be an active and informed political participant -- fine, they have as much right to be heard as anyone, but also no more right be heard then anyone else.

patrick0brien
Sep 4, 2003, 01:43 PM
-All

My favorite celebrity "Activist" to watch is Janeane Garofalo. She'll spew one-sided, unweighted, opinionated words in such a way that noone can interject (by design). When a person does manage to get a word in, she overspeaks like we all did in grade school. She doesn' listen to anyone but herself.

She even denies using her celebrity status to get onto a stage to spew this stuff, I actuall laugh out loud when I see her.

And this makes for a noisy factory of unbelievably biased drivel.

And many of you know that I have little respect for statements that aren't backed up by evidence, or facts. She might be right about what she is talking about, but it's so slathered with blind opinion, and lacking in facts, that she's essentially ignored.

mcrain
Sep 4, 2003, 02:32 PM
Out of curiousity, why do we seem to believe actors and celebrities are any less knowledgable about political events than the rest of us, if not more? I mean, don't they ahve better access to the big money people than any of us do? Don't they have a lot more time to sit around and think about these things than those of us who work do?

Just a couple of new thoughts for the closed minded in the group.

IJ Reilly
Sep 4, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Out of curiousity, why do we seem to believe actors and celebrities are any less knowledgable about political events than the rest of us, if not more? I mean, don't they ahve better access to the big money people than any of us do? Don't they have a lot more time to sit around and think about these things than those of us who work do?

Just a couple of new thoughts for the closed minded in the group.

You talkin' to me? :)

I don't think celebrities are inherently any less or any more knowledgeable then the rest of us, but the rest of us don't live in front of cameras and microphones like these people do. The fact that they're such public personas leads many to believe that they are possessed of some sort of special wisdom, and to hang on their every word.

Let's put it this way: I can have a much more interesting discussion about US foreign policy with the people on this board then I could ever have with Britney Spears -- but look who we're talking about!

zimv20
Sep 4, 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Out of curiousity, why do we seem to believe actors and celebrities are any less knowledgable about political events than the rest of us, if not more?

fwiw, i'm an (obscure) actor/writer and i do the things i do because i feel i have something to say*. i'd bet the same holds true for a lot of people in hollywood.

* i sure ain't doing it for the money :-)

mischief
Sep 4, 2003, 04:44 PM
If the Bublegum Princess has any bearing on politics or any thoughts of her own (other than those regarding her collection of Wonder-Bra's) it's surely time to start selling space-heaters to demons.

Angelina Jolie I'm willing to take seriously. She has ambassadorial status. BS, on the other hand, I class firmly with Vanilla Ice and the Monkees as too artificially sweet to have substance.:rolleyes:

tazo
Sep 4, 2003, 05:55 PM
Having a pseudo-lesbian encounter on stage sounds just like the typical conservative thing to do :rolleyes:

zimv20
Sep 4, 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by tazo
Having a pseudo-lesbian encounter on stage sounds just like the typical conservative thing to do :rolleyes:

http://www.lcr.org/

Sayhey
Sep 4, 2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mischief
If the Bublegum Princess has any bearing on politics or any thoughts of her own (other than those regarding her collection of Wonder-Bra's) it's surely time to start selling space-heaters to demons.

Angelina Jolie I'm willing to take seriously. She has ambassadorial status. BS, on the other hand, I class firmly with Vanilla Ice and the Monkees as too artificially sweet to have substance.:rolleyes:

I really didn't mean for this thread to be too serious. I thought her remarks were rather silly.

pseudobrit
Sep 4, 2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
I really didn't mean for this thread to be too serious. I thought her remarks were rather silly.

They'll be really serious though after her star fades and she's posing in a "gentleman's magazine" a few years down the road.

tazo
Sep 5, 2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
http://www.lcr.org/

touche zim :D

amnesiac1984
Sep 5, 2003, 08:07 AM
Possibly the dumbest thing I've heard a celebrity come out with in a looong time.

Worthy of my signature i Think.

shadowfax
Sep 5, 2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
Possibly the dumbest thing I've heard a celebrity come out with in a looong time. ahhh, it's not so bad. it's right up there with

"If president bush gets elected, i'm leaving the country." - Alec Baldwin

Inu
Sep 5, 2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by shadowfax
ahhh, it's not so bad. it's right up there with

"If president bush gets elected, i'm leaving the country." - Alec Baldwin

Did he say that before the 2000 Vote, or in the view of re-election in 2004?

@shadowfax: I just love your avatar ;)

mactastic
Sep 5, 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Inu
Did he say that before the 2000 Vote, or in the view of re-election in 2004?

@shadowfax: I just love your avatar ;)

That was pre-2000. I don't think he followed through though.

shadowfax
Sep 5, 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Inu
Did he say that before the 2000 Vote, or in the view of re-election in 2004?

@shadowfax: I just love your avatar ;) it was before the 2000 election on like letterman or something. my mom (who is a pretty staunch republican) was like, "hey! i didn't leave when clinton got elected!"

thanks for the 'tar props. i like her a lot too :D

patrick0brien
Sep 5, 2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
They'll be really serious though after her star fades and she's posing in a "gentleman's magazine" a few years down the road.

-pseudobrit

I'm already in line. :D

IJ Reilly
Sep 5, 2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
http://www.lcr.org/

The Log Cabin Republicans -- winners of the Wishful Thinking Award five years running.

amnesiac1984
Sep 5, 2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by shadowfax
ahhh, it's not so bad. it's right up there with

"If president bush gets elected, i'm leaving the country." - Alec Baldwin

Nah i think its worse than that. Thats just stupid use of a word. Britneys comment is basically like saying: "Lets make Bush a Dictator, give him all power over everything, yeah thats a good idea" It all shows a complete lack of understanding of the basic values of democracy, but not an uncommon argument from party liners.! Just makes their situation look even more ridiculous.

shadowfax
Sep 5, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
Nah i think its worse than that. Thats just stupid use of a word. Britneys comment is basically like saying: "Lets make Bush a Dictator, give him all power over everything, yeah thats a good idea" It all shows a complete lack of understanding of the basic values of democracy, but not an uncommon argument from party liners.! Just makes their situation look even more ridiculous. man, i think you're taking alec's comment differently because you hate bush--his reflects an opinion that he does not accept the basic values of democracy--that majority rules.

zimv20
Sep 5, 2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by shadowfax
man, i think you're taking alec's comment differently because you hate bush--his reflects an opinion that he does not accept the basic values of democracy--that majority rules.

otoh -- mr. baldwin expressed a desire (and i think he _did_ move, btw) that parallels that of the ancestors of most people in the US -- the desire to find a better place to live.

what could be more american than that? ;-)

shadowfax
Sep 5, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
otoh -- mr. baldwin expressed a desire (and i think he _did_ move, btw) that parallels that of the ancestors of most people in the US -- the desire to find a better place to live.

what could be more american than that? ;-) i think it's petty; US ancestors came here to find a better place or escape oppression. alec baldwin vowed to leave because he didn't like Bush, a man who if elected would have simply been a president of a democratic country... it's very modern american, what baldwin said: give me what i want or im not going to stick around.

IJ Reilly
Sep 5, 2003, 12:09 PM
Threatening to leave the country if so-in-so is elected is one of the oldest lines in the book. I remember hearing this quite a bit when Nixon was running for president -- quite a few people claimed to be ready to move to Canada if he was elected. I suspect the Canadians were relieved to find no mass-migration of Americans northwards in 1968 (or any time since).

Hey, but I've got an idea -- how about staging a debate between Alec and Britney? It could be billed as Dufus vs. Clueless. The cable news channels would jump at the chance to run it, no doubt.

zimv20
Sep 5, 2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
US ancestors came here to find a better place or escape oppression.

and to find jobs. bush's administration is the first since WWII to actually lose jobs.

since 9/11, until very recently, it was difficult to question the administration w/o being labeled unpatriotic (or worse). the gov't has taken to secret arrests, bypassed the courts, and taken revenge against those who speak out. i would call that oppressive.

Waluigi
Sep 5, 2003, 12:50 PM
Why is it so surprising that Britney Spears can do something besides sing? Is it now a standard that in order to speak your mind of a political topic, you have to be the smartest person in the world? Even if you don't agree with her point, which I personally don't, you still shouldn't be so negative about her. Attack the points she makes, not who she is. She had the guts to speak her mind, and you should respect her for that.

--Waluigi

Waluigi
Sep 5, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Taft
Ha!

I think this should have been posted in that thread about Al Franken's new book. The Great Bill O'Reilly indeed!

Taft

If you activally work against the military, then you are an enemy of the state. If you are against the war, and work against the politicians, that is fine, and infact, Bill has on numerous occasions said he supports people's right to do so! Stop taking cheap shots at the great Bill O'Reilly!

--Waluigi

IJ Reilly
Sep 5, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Waluigi
Why is it so surprising that Britney Spears can do something besides sing? Is it now a standard that in order to speak your mind of a political topic, you have to be the smartest person in the world? Even if you don't agree with her point, which I personally don't, you still shouldn't be so negative about her. Attack the points she makes, not who she is. She had the guts to speak her mind, and you should respect her for that.

Fair enough, but if her remarks make her sound like a lightweight on these subjects, then it's not out of bounds for us to notice. This is one of the occupational hazards of being an entertainer who feels the need to speak out on political issues. They will be heard, and they will be graded on what they say.

mactastic
Sep 5, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Fair enough, but if her remarks make her sound like a lightweight on these subjects, then it's not out of bounds for us to notice. This is one of the occupational hazards of being an entertainer who feels the need to speak out on political issues. They will be heard, and they will be graded on what they say.

It was more her constant giggling during the CNN interview that makes me think she's not to be taken terribly seriously.

shadowfax
Sep 5, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Hey, but I've got an idea -- how about staging a debate between Alec and Britney? It could be billed as Dufus vs. Clueless. The cable news channels would jump at the chance to run it, no doubt. the sad thing is, that would be a lot better than a reallity TV show. or "queer eye for the straight guy," or the osbournes...

Waluigi
Sep 5, 2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Fair enough, but if her remarks make her sound like a lightweight on these subjects, then it's not out of bounds for us to notice. This is one of the occupational hazards of being an entertainer who feels the need to speak out on political issues. They will be heard, and they will be graded on what they say.

Point taken.

--Waluigi