Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I just designed what i think would be a cool apple store. The building itself would be brick, and have a "warmer" feeling than the current stores, located with the starbucks on a corner so access is from this front door and one on the left side. A few trees would be located on the sidewalks on front and side, then the upstairs would be more apple store and above the starbucks would be a hangout area for people to use their laptops or try out their new gear. I think it's cool, so what do you all think?

Attachments

• Apple Store 2.JPG
    Apple Store 2.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 290

Flyers1718

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
I think it sounds like a great idea but you gotta get into PS and make a new version to really show it off. Now it looks like a few rectangles and logos. Sounds like a great idea though.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
well isn't that what apple was going for??

Working on a new and improved version right now, but it is going to take some time.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Apple + starbucks store partership

huge possibility

upstairs lounge with free wifi

this could hapen and huge be amazing

Apple Stores already have free wifi...eating in a computer store is NOT something thats going to happen officially soon...

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Well as i work on my truly kick ass apple store design, i found on their web site that you can not send in ideas for review. I don't understand why Apple does this, for they are missing out on a lot of talent, not saying mine, just in general. So they wait until you are an employee to care about what you have to offer.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Not wanting to come across as harsh, but you would need to produce a lot more than a couple of recatngles with the Apple & Starbucks logos pasted on before Apple would think about building your store. If you really want to get into this sort of business, then you need to enrol on an HE architecture course, which could take anything up to 8 years, & then you might stand a chance of producing something of high enough calibre to be considered for development.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Well first i'm not finished, and i know i'm not going to be that good, but i just find it odd that no one can submit anything to apple, thats all.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
...i just find it odd that no one can submit anything to apple, thats all.

Because they don't want to get into legal disputes about who owns what, that's why... which is why they officially do not accept new product suggestions, either.

And more realistically, they also don't want to waste expensive staff-hours fending off and reading spam, and a billion suggestions on how to make and release a consumer midi-tower etc.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Not to mention I'm pretty sure that when they want to build a new store they just commission an architect, instead of asking teenagers to draw them a box in Paint.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Not to mention I'm pretty sure that when they want to build a new store they just commission an architect, instead of asking teenagers to draw them a box in Paint.

That really did make me laugh out loud. Nice and concise, funny.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Well, first of all it's macromedia, not paint, and secondly, as far as i can tell, all apple has done for it's stores so far is put some pieces of aluminum and glass on the front of the building, and said we're done. Anyways, i'm working on my finished design, and if people don't bitch at it too much i might even work on it some more.

Well no, i take that back, some stores, fifth ave, and soho, and that one in london are real kick ass.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Well, first of all it's macromedia, not paint, and secondly, as far as i can tell, all apple has done for it's stores so far is put some pieces of aluminum and glass on the front of the building, and said we're done. Anyways, i'm working on my finished design, and if people don't bitch at it too much i might even work on it some more.

Well no, i take that back, some stores, fifth ave, and soho, and that one in london are real kick ass.

It's just that it's not exactly innovative. Having a starbucks attached to another store is nothing new, and I'm sure someone's thought about it already.

Plus, do you really want hot coffee and computers mixing like that?

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Well to tell you the truth, i don't care if it's a Starbucks or a real estate agent next door. I just put it there, for Apple seems to have a new found obsession with Starbucks, and it seemed fitting. The stores wouldn't be open to each other, in the sense that you would have to walk next door, but with a lounge above Starbucks, many, including myself, would take advantage of the comfort and availability of caffeinated beverages. So you can picture the two stores together, with Apple consisting of 3/4 of the overall area, or split them apart, however you fancy.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Well to tell you the truth, i don't care if it's a Starbucks or a real estate agent next door. I just put it there, for Apple seems to have a new found obsession with Starbucks, and it seemed fitting. The stores wouldn't be open to each other, in the sense that you would have to walk next door, but with a lounge above Starbucks, many, including myself, would take advantage of the comfort and availability of caffeinated beverages. So you can picture the two stores together, with Apple consisting of 3/4 of the overall area, or split them apart, however you fancy.

Honestly silbeej, it might be in your interest to develop a slightly thicker skin. You got a surprisingly positive response to what was ultimately a series of 1px rectangular boxes and 2 logos. My dog could have come up with that "design". By all means, come up with some innovative, cool-looking, etc, and I'm sure you'll continue to get even better feedback. But for the time being, I don't think a 30-second design deserves the forum equivalent of a standing ovation.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I know i should have waited until the final design, but what you see is just the outline of my design. It took a little longer than 30 seconds, but it is a to-scale digital version of an idea i drew. I made is pixel by pixel, and currently working on the new and improved version, just wait.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well as i work on my truly kick ass apple store design, i found on their web site that you can not send in ideas for review. I don't understand why Apple does this, for they are missing out on a lot of talent, not saying mine, just in general. So they wait until you are an employee to care about what you have to offer.
It is a legal thing.
Because they don't want to get into legal disputes about who owns what, that's why... which is why they officially do not accept new product suggestions, either.

And more realistically, they also don't want to waste expensive staff-hours fending off and reading spam, and a billion suggestions on how to make and release a consumer midi-tower etc.
Oh wait Blue said it. ;)

I applaud your decision to create but you really have no clue how much goes into what you consider a simple building. Clearly though, in your opinion adding brick to a building is somehow more advanced design than what Apple currently does.
I know i should have waited until the final design, but what you see is just the outline of my design. It took a little longer than 30 seconds, but it is a to-scale digital version of an idea i drew. I made is pixel by pixel, and currently working on the new and improved version, just wait.
You should have just simply taken what people have said to you, both good and bad. I'm curious though, what scale did you use? And whatever you produce I am sure will be good, however just keep in mind that basically saying that what Apple has done to date is basically stupid is just lame on your part.

And to his defense. Because he is using Macromedia to do this I bet it does take longer than 30 seconds because Macromedia is not the best choice and is very inefficient for architectural design. So yes, it probably will take longer because he has to muddle through a program that isn't suited for what he wants to do. It can be done, just not fast.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
YES! Thank you Jessica. You put it nicely and made comments on what i'm doing without ripping my head off. I believe in my rant i did say that Apple's stores are bad, and i didn't mean it. I mean they do a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY good job at what they do, but what i meant to say was that i would "like" a slightly different styled building. Not to say what they do is wrong, but a little variety never hurt anyone. And you are right, i don't have autocad or anything to design buildings with. Have always just done everything on paper, but don't have a scanner to share it with all of you, so i went digital.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.