PDA

View Full Version : iToner 1.0.4 Released

moki
Oct 20, 2007, 03:06 AM
Ambrosia Software, Inc. releases iToner 1.0.4, with iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility

ROCHESTER, New York -- October 19, 2007 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. today announced the release of iToner 1.0.4. This update of the highly popular iPhone custom ringtone transfer tool offers improved support for iPhone OS 1.1.1, along with other bug fixes and improvements.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/images/iToner_ad_sm.jpg (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/)

The iToner 1.0.4 update is free to all registered users, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/itoner/

iToner 1.0.4 features the following improvements and changes:

-- More robust iPhone OS 1.1.1 support to fix non-playing ringtones

-- Fixed a bug with the playlists being updated when a ringtone was added from iTunes

-- Other bug fixes and enhancements

daneoni
Oct 20, 2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks Andrew works peachy now!

MacRumors
Oct 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Amborsia Software has released a maintenance release to its popular iToner software for syncing custom ringtones to a user's iPhone.

iToner 1.0.4 (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/) provides increased compatibility with iPhone OS 1.1.1 and reportedly fixes a minor bug (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4355374&postcount=60) found in iToner 1.0.3. Ambrosia had released iToner 1.0.3 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/17/itoner-1-0-3-with-iphone-1-1-1-support/) earlier this week, which provided support for iPhone OS 1.1.1.

iToner 1.0.4 is a free update to all registered iToner users.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/20/itoner-1-0-4-released/)

chr1s60
Oct 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
I never had any problems with 1.0.3 but 1.0.4 works fine too. I hope in 1.0.5 we get the ability to change text message tones, I think that and the ability to edit within iToner is all that is still needed. Either way, this is a great product.

moki
Oct 20, 2007, 06:07 PM
I never had any problems with 1.0.3 but 1.0.4 works fine too. I hope in 1.0.5 we get the ability to change text message tones, I think that and the ability to edit within iToner is all that is still needed. Either way, this is a great product.

Right, we've just been kept rather busy keeping up with Apple's... uh... "changes" to make too many additions/improvements to the product.

chr1s60
Oct 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
Right, we've just been kept rather busy keeping up with Apple's... uh... "changes" to make too many additions/improvements to the product.

I completely understand. Hopefully they are done trying to mess with programs like iToner since it does not do any hacking. Keep up the good work.

deannnnn
Oct 20, 2007, 07:25 PM
I know that iToner claims that it doesn't do any hacking...
but how else can it get the ringtones on there?

I'm afraid to use it.

psychofreak
Oct 20, 2007, 07:29 PM
I know that iToner claims that it doesn't do any hacking...
but how else can it get the ringtones on there?

I'm afraid to use it.

The thing about iToner is that YOU don't have to do any hacking (there is a free way to put ringtones on, if you hack the iPhone)

CWallace
Oct 20, 2007, 08:08 PM
I know that iToner claims that it doesn't do any hacking...but how else can it get the ringtones on there?

iToner places ringtones in your "Public/User" directory on the iPhone - the same place iTunes does. As well as the same place iTunes puts your music, your photos, your movies, your contacts, etc. etc.

It does not put any code into - or modify any code residing in - the "System/OS" area of the iPhone.

As such, it is perfectly safe to use.

Kedrik
Oct 20, 2007, 09:42 PM
The original demo of i-toner was so good that I was about to buy it when it was disabled by 1.1.1. Now that they have a working product again, I went ahead and bought it. The interface couldn't be easier. Ambrosia has demonstrated that they are dedicated to providing quality support for the product, and I have no fears about i-phone updates causing damage to the phone on account of i-toner. This is a great product - I put on my own compositions, and recordings as alarm tones, and ringtones. I am a professional musician, so don't even start with the idea that I am breaking some kind of copyright law when I put my own stuff on the phone. Thanks Ambrosia for the great product.

GrimReefer
Oct 21, 2007, 03:26 AM
I had downloaded a trial version of itoner a day or two ago. The one (main) ringtone I wanted to use did not work. I saw tonight, a newer version, I downloaded, and it worked!

I'm going to shoot out the registration fee, these guys have spent enough time and effort so we can get our own tones on the phone. I think they at least deserve the small fee.

Sure beats having to buy a song from itunes that I already own on CD, then purchasing the ringtone. Heck, if you only add a few ringtones, you'll come out ahead, what, like 8 or 9 ringtones?

Great job to you folks at ambrosia (sp)! This is a great program and extremely easy to use.

BTW, latest version of itunes and iphone software. Works great so far with what I have chopped up from mp3's.

solvs
Oct 21, 2007, 06:10 AM
Didn't have a problem with 1.0.3, but I'll upgrade anyway.

tomacintosh
Oct 21, 2007, 06:34 AM
You mean this app doesn't actually let you create the ringtones like iTunes does? It's just a way of getting them on the iPhone? That's a bit crap isn't it :rolleyes:

solvs
Oct 21, 2007, 06:55 AM
You mean this app doesn't actually let you create the ringtones like iTunes does? It's just a way of getting them on the iPhone? That's a bit crap isn't it :rolleyes:

Uh, you can crop in GarageBand, Audacity, QT Pro, even iTunes (kinda). If you even need to. I've added sound effects as well as full songs, but also just trimmed the beginning of a song with QT and dragged it in. Took me about a minute.

It's version 1 and does what it says without having to pay every time you create a ringtone, what more do you want? :rolleyes:

Deslock
Oct 21, 2007, 07:13 AM
Appreciate the fine work you guys are putting into iToner! Kudos to you for keeping up with Apple's "changes".

Having written that, I'm gonna followup on chr1s60's feature request: I also hope future versions of iToner allow for customized email and SMS message arrival sounds.

Kedrik
Oct 21, 2007, 08:05 AM
We should all just give them the $15 for having to live in Rochester, NY. Spent 6 years getting a PHD there, and the sun almost NEVER shines...or maybe it just doesn't shine in the library:rolleyes:

ljones
Oct 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
We should all just give them the $15 for having to live in Rochester, NY. Spent 6 years getting a PHD there, and the sun almost NEVER shines...or maybe it just doesn't shine in the library:rolleyes:

Lol, I spent 5 years there at R.I.T and when the snow came into town, damn did it snow. Those trips through Buffalo on I-90 back to Cleveland were treacherous. Not to mention the last time i took Amtrak we got stuck in the snow for about 8 hours outside of Buffalo.

I tried iToner last night on my freshly updated phone to 1.1.1 and all works fine. once Leopard arrives I'll decide if i will purchase.

moki
Oct 21, 2007, 01:54 PM

hey now... the sun shines at least 3 times a year up here... I swear :)

moki
Oct 21, 2007, 02:02 PM

iTunes allows you to crop a limited number of songs they make available via the iTunes Music store, and turn them into ringtones. The rub is that you have to have already purchased the song (for $.99 USD), and then it costs another $.99 USD to convert **some** songs to a ringtone (the majority of the songs on the ITMS cannot be turned into a ringtone).

iToner on the other hand allows you to take any MP3 or AAC file you have, and upload it as a ringtone. This means you are not restricted to using a portion of some of the songs the iTunes offers, but rather can use any audio file you have laying around.

Currently to crop the audio file, should you wish to, you do have to use another program (we suggest WireTap Studio, GarageBand(free), Audacity(free), iTunes(free), or QuickTime Pro). I expect that this will change in the future, and we'll have integrated cropping and transcoding of audio files.

MatthewStorm
Oct 21, 2007, 03:24 PM
I have GarageBand but never used it until just now. But I can't find anywhere where I can import a song into GB, it seems to be just about making music. Can someone give me a hint? Thanks.

ARH1956
Oct 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
I have GarageBand but never used it until just now. But I can't find anywhere where I can import a song into GB, it seems to be just about making music. Can someone give me a hint? Thanks.I'm no expert @ Garage Band, but have used it to compose several Ringtones. I open Garage Band & iTunes then just drag the file from iTunes to Garage Band. There I select the portion to be used as a ringtone, crop it and convert it to an MP3 & export it to iTunes. From there I can load it through iToner, done. Several tones I use are only 1-2 seconds long & Garage Band has a minimum time of 10-12 seconds, if I remember correctly. To defeat this I may need to drag this "Short Tone" into Garage Band several times to meet the time slot.

momo411176
Oct 21, 2007, 03:43 PM
I have GarageBand but never used it until just now. But I can't find anywhere where I can import a song into GB, it seems to be just about making music. Can someone give me a hint? Thanks.

To import a song into GarageBand, simply just drag it song into the software. Plain and easy, as it should be! :apple:

ARH1956
Oct 21, 2007, 03:54 PM
You mean this app doesn't actually let you create the ringtones like iTunes does? It's just a way of getting them on the iPhone? That's a bit crap isn't it :rolleyes:If you are unable to find, or create your own Ringtone files using iTunes, GarageBand or any number of the other apps. available it's quite possible iToner is not for you.:rolleyes:

MacToddB
Oct 21, 2007, 04:36 PM

HEY! It's a beautiful day today here in Rochester! I live two blocks from Ambrosia... I even dropped off some Mountain Dew and a gift card to a fancy pizza place to help their efforts! Great job, Ambrosia!

---MacTodd

MatthewStorm
Oct 21, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm no expert @ Garage Band, but have used it to compose several Ringtones. I open Garage Band & iTunes then just drag the file from iTunes to Garage Band. There I select the portion to be used as a ringtone, crop it and convert it to an MP3 & export it to iTunes. From there I can load it through iToner, done. Several tones I use are only 1-2 seconds long & Garage Band has a minimum time of 10-12 seconds, if I remember correctly. To defeat this I may need to drag this "Short Tone" into Garage Band several times to meet the time slot.

Thanks a lot! Appreciate the answer. But...how do you crop? And I can't figure out how to convert. I can't find a selection for this.

EDIT: Okay, I made a ringtone, but I'm sure not as elegantly as you. Still couldn't figure out the above. Now I'm gonna be up all night making friggin ringtones outta everything. But really, thanks a lot.

Kedrik
Oct 21, 2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot! Appreciate the answer. But...how do you crop? And I can't figure out how to convert. I can't find a selection for this.

I use garage band all the time, and teach a class in using it, so I'll try to talk you through. This is easier if you can follow along on the overhead projector:D

First - create a new music project with the initial dialog box by clicking on create new music project.

Second - drag a music file into the main window pane - it should translate by itself and show up as a sort of wave form diagram. (if it is a protected format downloaded from i-tunes you may have to burn it to CD then reimport it to i-tunes as an unprotected file then drag it into garage band.)

Once your music is in Garage band you can set cropping points by using "Apple" "capital T" combination with the insertion point wherever you like. this splits the file into sections. Then you can delete the sections you don't want, slide the section you do want to the left, by grabbing and dragging, and use the fade in and out tools that you will find under the horizontal triangle in the right hand corner of the track list. (this is a green line called track volume)

When the track is the way you want it, go to the "share" menu at the top of the page and click "export to disk" save it to your desktop, drag it into i-toner, and away you go!

This is much easier than it sounds written down. Remember that detailed instructions for tying your shoe would sound unreasonably difficult. Hope this helps. Kedrik

MatthewStorm
Oct 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
I use garage band all the time, and teach a class in using it, so I'll try to talk you through. This is easier if you can follow along on the overhead projector:D

First - create a new music project with the initial dialog box by clicking on create new music project.

Second - drag a music file into the main window pane - it should translate by itself and show up as a sort of wave form diagram. (if it is a protected format downloaded from i-tunes you may have to burn it to CD then reimport it to i-tunes as an unprotected file then drag it into garage band.)

Once your music is in Garage band you can set cropping points by using "Apple" "capital T" combination with the insertion point wherever you like. this splits the file into sections. Then you can delete the sections you don't want, slide the section you do want to the left, by grabbing and dragging, and use the fade in and out tools that you will find under the horizontal triangle in the right hand corner of the track list. (this is a green line called track volume)

When the track is the way you want it, go to the "share" menu at the top of the page and click "export to disk" save it to your desktop, drag it into i-toner, and away you go!

This is much easier than it sounds written down. Remember that detailed instructions for tying your shoe would sound unreasonably difficult. Hope this helps. Kedrik

Kedrik,
You rock, dude! The problem is that when I export to disk the only option I have is aiff. That doesn't work with iToner. What am I doing wrong?

Kedrik
Oct 21, 2007, 08:18 PM
Kedrik,
You rock, dude! The problem is that when I export to disk the only option I have is aiff. That doesn't work with iToner. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, instead of "sharing" to disk, use "sharing" send to i-tunes. Then you can drag it right out of i-tunes onto your desktop, or into i-toner. Hope that solves the problem.

Kedrik

MatthewStorm
Oct 21, 2007, 08:20 PM
Sorry, instead of "sharing" to disk, use "sharing" send to i-tunes. Then you can drag it right out of i-tunes onto your desktop, or into i-toner. Hope that solves the problem.

Kedrik

It still creates an AIFF file. I have to import it into iTunes and then and convert it to AAC.

ljones
Oct 22, 2007, 09:17 AM
I created my sound files the same way they were created using the iTunes hack before apple patched the problem. Because those same files are the ringtones that worked for me. I believe i used Soundtrack pro to edit/modify the bass, then used iTunes to convert them to acc files.

However, the files i tested before I got the right process did not work. I will have to go back and look at the file information to determine what caused those not to play.

whenpaulsparks
Oct 22, 2007, 09:50 AM
it works fine for me, but the next time i sync'ed to itunes, it reset all my ringtones. that's annoying if i have to run iToner each time. and it reset all my contact's ringtones, so i'm pretty pissed right now. i'll buy it once you guys fix that.

scofield119
Oct 22, 2007, 09:51 AM
THank you for the help about this aspect!
wish you happy
:):)

scofield119
Oct 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
created my sound files the same way they were created using the iTunes hack before apple patched the problem. Because those same files are the ringtones that worked for me. I believe i used Soundtrack pro to edit/modify the bass, then used iTunes to convert them to acc files.

However, the files i tested before I got the right process did not work. I will have to go back and look at the file information to determine what caused those not to play.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

flounderasu
Oct 23, 2007, 12:39 AM
Can you fix it so when I sync with iTunes, that I don't have to re-run iToner??? I have sync ringtones unchecked in iTunes. It still erased all my ringtones. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but when I tried to re-sync all my ringtones with iToner, one of them would show up but wouldn't play. So, i tried to delete, re-add, and nothing. Then i deleted again, and deleted another one, thinking it was the "upload in pairs" problem. Great it worked, but now the other one didn't work. I finally got it to work.....after a few more tries. But it's going to be a major PITA if I have to go through this everytime I sync with iTunes.

Ambrosia Software, Inc. releases iToner 1.0.4, with iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility

ROCHESTER, New York -- October 19, 2007 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. today announced the release of iToner 1.0.4. This update of the highly popular iPhone custom ringtone transfer tool offers improved support for iPhone OS 1.1.1, along with other bug fixes and improvements.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/images/iToner_ad_sm.jpg (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/)

The iToner 1.0.4 update is free to all registered users, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/itoner/

iToner 1.0.4 features the following improvements and changes:

-- More robust iPhone OS 1.1.1 support to fix non-playing ringtones

-- Fixed a bug with the playlists being updated when a ringtone was added from iTunes

-- Other bug fixes and enhancements

moki
Oct 23, 2007, 01:30 AM
Can you fix it so when I sync with iTunes, that I don't have to re-run iToner??? I have sync ringtones unchecked in iTunes. It still erased all my ringtones. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but when I tried to re-sync all my ringtones with iToner, one of them would show up but wouldn't play. So, i tried to delete, re-add, and nothing. Then i deleted again, and deleted another one, thinking it was the "upload in pairs" problem. Great it worked, but now the other one didn't work. I finally got it to work.....after a few more tries. But it's going to be a major PITA if I have to go through this everytime I sync with iTunes.

You should not have to re-sync in iToner whenever you sync with iTunes. It should work seamlessly. Can you look in ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins and see if there is a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file in there, and if there is, what the version number is?

Also check in /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins to make sure there isn't a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file in there?

Also you're not plugging this iPhone into more than one computer, are you?

dadallas
Oct 23, 2007, 11:51 AM
I really want to get this app. I have already spent $5 on iTunes ringtones and I figured for $10 more I could have any/unlimited ringtones.

Does this app violate our warranty at all even though its not a software install on our iPhones?

flounderasu
Oct 23, 2007, 12:31 PM
After doing some research after this post last night, I searched around some other forums. And I found that there was something on Ambrosia's forum on multiple computer syncing. Yes, I do sync to multiple computers. My desktop is a PC that I use to sync to my Outlook and music, and use my Macbook Pro to sync ringtones, SSH, and various other things to my iPhone.

I'm assuming this is causing the problem. I have contemplated moving all my music over to my Macbook pro, but....I have about 40gig in music alone, and was trying to avoid having 2 libraries on 2 machines until I found something that would automatically sync them as they're on the same network. At least until I got a NAS, and could move all my media onto that....I guess I will have to keep using iToner to re-sync everything...unless you're either:
A. Working on a PC version
B. Have another fix?

You should not have to re-sync in iToner whenever you sync with iTunes. It should work seamlessly. Can you look in ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins and see if there is a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file in there, and if there is, what the version number is?

Also check in /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins to make sure there isn't a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file in there?

Also you're not plugging this iPhone into more than one computer, are you?

moki
Oct 23, 2007, 03:10 PM
After doing some research after this post last night, I searched around some other forums. And I found that there was something on Ambrosia's forum on multiple computer syncing. Yes, I do sync to multiple computers. My desktop is a PC that I use to sync to my Outlook and music, and use my Macbook Pro to sync ringtones, SSH, and various other things to my iPhone.

I'm assuming this is causing the problem. I have contemplated moving all my music over to my Macbook pro, but....I have about 40gig in music alone, and was trying to avoid having 2 libraries on 2 machines until I found something that would automatically sync them as they're on the same network. At least until I got a NAS, and could move all my media onto that....I guess I will have to keep using iToner to re-sync everything...unless you're either:
A. Working on a PC version
B. Have another fix?

Currently, you need to have iToner running on any computer that you sync it with. If you sync it to your Windows machine, this will "wipe out" the iToner ringtones until you sync again with iToner on your Mac.

We currently have no fix for this.

moki
Oct 23, 2007, 03:11 PM
I really want to get this app. I have already spent $5 on iTunes ringtones and I figured for $10 more I could have any/unlimited ringtones.

Does this app violate our warranty at all even though its not a software install on our iPhones?

I don't see how. If you have to bring your iPhone in for service, just delete your ringtones installed with iToner, and there will be no trace of it at all. I can't imagine it'd void a warranty any more than putting pictures on it would.

flounderasu
Oct 23, 2007, 05:03 PM
Currently, you need to have iToner running on any computer that you sync it with. If you sync it to your Windows machine, this will "wipe out" the iToner ringtones until you sync again with iToner on your Mac.

We currently have no fix for this.

Hm.....are ya working on a fix ;)

Or maybe an iToner for the PC? I'm sure there would be a market for this product for the PC......

JonHimself
Oct 23, 2007, 05:25 PM
Can anyone who works on iToner confirm that the "Hello Hello?" file used in the demo on the front page for the software is a clip of Gary Dell'Abate from the Stern show?

Also, for people using Garageband for the first time, don't forget you can view your iTunes files RIGHT IN Garageband. You don't have to drag them over from iTunes. It's Apple + R (I think)... (Media Browser)

bitslap47
Nov 6, 2007, 06:47 AM
Can anyone who works on iToner confirm that the "Hello Hello?" file used in the demo on the front page for the software is a clip of Gary Dell'Abate from the Stern show?

Also, for people using Garageband for the first time, don't forget you can view your iTunes files RIGHT IN Garageband. You don't have to drag them over from iTunes. It's Apple + R (I think)... (Media Browser)

From Baba Booey's apology tape I'm sure :)

Jarcrew
Nov 6, 2007, 06:51 AM
Does anyone know why 1.1.2 breaks iToner? Because the UK iPhones are shipping with 1.1.2 and I really, really do not plan on paying 80p for ringtones (that is, both the songs in my iTunes library that are toneable).

moki
Nov 6, 2007, 07:20 AM
Does anyone know why 1.1.2 breaks iToner? Because the UK iPhones are shipping with 1.1.2 and I really, really do not plan on paying 80p for ringtones (that is, both the songs in my iTunes library that are toneable).

Very few people would be in a position to know for sure, and most of them work for Apple. We'll just have to wait and see.

martinmartin
Nov 6, 2007, 08:28 AM
Is iToner working fine with iTunes 7.5? Any reason to hold off updating iTunes?

I'm hesitant to update anything after what happened with iPhone 1.1.1.

Thanks

Cinemagic
Nov 6, 2007, 11:09 AM
iTunes 7.5 does not kill your installed iToner ringtones. You can still sync and keep everything. But make sure that you have Sync Ringtones UNCHECKED before syncing. Any time that you sync Ringtones with iTunes, you'll remove all your iToner ringtones. If you use iToner, only sync ringtones with iToner and always keep the ringtone sync unchecked in iTunes.

AJsAWiz
Nov 6, 2007, 11:47 AM
Very few people would be in a position to know for sure, and most of them work for Apple. We'll just have to wait and see.

Well, I guess that answers my question about 1.1.2 breaking iToner.
SO I won't be updating my iPhone firmware. :eek:

moki
Nov 6, 2007, 12:58 PM
Is iToner working fine with iTunes 7.5? Any reason to hold off updating iTunes?

I'm hesitant to update anything after what happened with iPhone 1.1.1.

Thanks

It works with iTunes 7.5, but it's not optimal. There are ways it can seemingly "wipe out" your ringtones. In reality, if you just launch iToner and sync things again, everything is fine.

We're working on making it more optimal. :)

Meanwhile regarding the iPhone OS 1.1.2, I really have no idea whether it'll break us or not. If it does, I think we're clearly being targeted.

MacUser4_20
Nov 7, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have almost the same thing happening as stated above. When I sync with iTunes, that I have to re-run iToner. I have sync ringtones unchecked in iTunes. It still erased all my ringtones whenever I sync. I use only 1 Mac to sync. I checked my Folders and:
in ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins there is a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file.

in /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins there IS NOT a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file.

moki
Nov 7, 2007, 01:25 PM
I have almost the same thing happening as stated above. When I sync with iTunes, that I have to re-run iToner. I have sync ringtones unchecked in iTunes. It still erased all my ringtones whenever I sync. I use only 1 Mac to sync. I checked my Folders and:
in ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins there is a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file.

in /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins there IS NOT a "iTonerSupport.bundle" file.

Yep, we've seen that, and we're working on a fix that's less of a hassle than having to manually resynch it in iToner.

MacUser4_20
Nov 7, 2007, 05:03 PM
I upgraded iTunes, and opened iToner before iTunes. I then opened iTunes and watched it sync to my iPhone, even though it is not set to automatically sync, and then I watched iToner lose all the ringtones I had put on it... Right in front of my eyes. If Apple isn't deliberately targeting you, then I do not know what to call this....

MacUser4_20
Nov 8, 2007, 09:41 PM
Andrew,

Any ideas on 1.1.2 and the iToner Application since Apple has posted it?

AJsAWiz
Nov 8, 2007, 10:08 PM
Andrew,

Any ideas on 1.1.2 and the iToner Application since Apple has posted it?

Good question! I don't dare touch it (1.1.2) ;)

Chris Welch
Nov 8, 2007, 11:09 PM
It just went up, folks. Apple hasn't even officially linked to it yet. Patience.

Erica Sadun over at TUAW seems optimistic that iToner will still function with 1.1.2. Take that however you'd like. But certainly wait for the word from Andrew before upgrading.

sblasl
Nov 8, 2007, 11:54 PM
It works. I installed 1.1.2 and then installed 2 of my ringtones. :D

It just went up, folks. Apple hasn't even officially linked to it yet. Patience.

Erica Sadun over at TUAW seems optimistic that iToner will still function with 1.1.2. Take that however you'd like. But certainly wait for the word from Andrew before upgrading.

Bongolo
Nov 9, 2007, 02:50 AM
It works. I installed 1.1.2 and then installed 2 of my ringtones. :D

Can anyone confirm this? ... Just about to purchase iToner to use with my new iPhone (UK) this evening! :)

TIA

illitrate23
Nov 9, 2007, 04:09 AM
buy it anyway - even if it doesn't work straight away, on past performance it'll not be long before they find a way to make it work.

MacUser4_20
Nov 9, 2007, 09:05 AM
THIS IS SO VERY TRUE! Well worth the $15 investment!

buy it anyway - even if it doesn't work straight away, on past performance it'll not be long before they find a way to make it work.

CWallace
Nov 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
Can anyone confirm this? ... Just about to purchase iToner to use with my new iPhone (UK) this evening! :)

TIA

Multiple users are reporting no issues with iToner 1.0.4 and the 1.1.2 iPhone update.

Also, it appears the .m4a rename trick now works as 1.1.2 now supports Custom Ringtones which it stores in a directory of this name.

/dev/toaster
Nov 9, 2007, 02:39 PM
Multiple users are reporting no issues with iToner 1.0.4 and the 1.1.2 iPhone update.

Also, it appears the .m4a rename trick now works as 1.1.2 now supports Custom Ringtones which it stores in a directory of this name.

Either its a bug or Apple is finally waking up that the way they handle ringtones is silly and childish.

MacUser4_20
Nov 12, 2007, 10:48 AM
Andrew, the famed new version you said would possibly be released this week, what is the status?

Thanks!

iWINuLOSE
Nov 13, 2007, 12:53 AM
hi all...

i just downloaded the trial version of itoner and it works great! however, the ringtones aren't showing up in the ringtones tab in itunes...is that suppose to happen? everything else works fine, tones are in my iphone and sound pretty good. just wondering why the ringtones i created aren't in the "ringtones" tab in itunes....:confused:

ARH1956
Nov 13, 2007, 06:34 AM
hi all...

i just downloaded the trial version of itoner and it works great! however, the ringtones aren't showing up in the ringtones tab in itunes...is that suppose to happen? everything else works fine, tones are in my iphone and sound pretty good. just wondering why the ringtones i created aren't in the "ringtones" tab in itunes....:confused: The ringtones installed with iToner will not show up in iTunes regardless of which iPhone firmware you are currently running.

sxuue
Nov 22, 2007, 07:19 PM
pretty nice software!

thank you :D

TylerOxendine
Feb 7, 2008, 08:00 AM
Any updates on itoner for 1.1.3 ?

AJsAWiz
Feb 7, 2008, 09:57 AM
Any updates on itoner for 1.1.3 ?

Just checked . . . nothing. I, honestly, believe that there will be no update to eliminate the multi step process to get iToner to work with the newest iPhone update. I think they've given up this time :mad:

Bongolo
Feb 7, 2008, 01:18 PM
I sincerely hope you're wrong, as this would have been a total waste of money. I know it's only a few $... But it won't do much good for Ambrosia's credibility! :(

solvs
Feb 7, 2008, 03:57 PM
I just use GB now.

chr1s60
Feb 7, 2008, 05:14 PM
Just checked . . . nothing. I, honestly, believe that there will be no update to eliminate the multi step process to get iToner to work with the newest iPhone update. I think they've given up this time :mad:

I would hope that a company like Ambrosia would not just stop trying. They don't seem like the type of company that will just abandon an application like that. If they do, it would be a highly unprofessional move and would keep me from buying any other software from them or recommending any to friends.

TEG
Feb 7, 2008, 05:23 PM
You can get it to work by having all your ringtones in AAC, then changing the extensions to .m4r and sync. However, I am finding that after a few syncs with iTunes they disappear and you have to reload them. Although it may be a problem that only I have, since I'm constantly changing the songs and videos on my iPhone.

TEG

solvs
Feb 8, 2008, 01:35 AM
You can get it to work by having all your ringtones in AAC, then changing the extensions to .m4r and sync. However, I am finding that after a few syncs with iTunes they disappear and you have to reload them. Although it may be a problem that only I have, since I'm constantly changing the songs and videos on my iPhone.
Just use GarageBand and it works fine.

chr1s60
Feb 8, 2008, 02:16 AM

TEG

I have had a few issues with the workaround. Sometimes everything will work great, but others the ringtone won't work or show up. My whole point is that a lot of us paid the $15 for iToner when it was the best/easiest method and we would like to be able to use it still, even if some other methods are available.

StophMac24
Feb 10, 2008, 02:29 PM
i would really hope that they update to work on 1.1.3 as some of us did pay to register the product

domness
Feb 10, 2008, 05:09 PM
You can get it to work by having all your ringtones in AAC, then changing the extensions to .m4r and sync. However, I am finding that after a few syncs with iTunes they disappear and you have to reload them.

Hmm.. I don't seem to be getting this problem at all! Mine works fine! And I don't reckon I'd pay for iToner anyway seen as the work around only takes a little longer and is completely free and safe!

@Those who keep telling people to use Garage Band, a number of us don't have it because we are still on Windows (sadly..)

EDIT - They are working on an update to get iToner working with the 1.1.3 Firmware.

AJsAWiz
Feb 10, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hmm.. I don't seem to be getting this problem at all! Mine works fine! And I don't reckon I'd pay for iToner anyway seen as the work around only takes a little longer and is completely free and safe!

@Those who keep telling people to use Garage Band, a number of us don't have it because we are still on Windows (sadly..)

EDIT - They are working on an update to get iToner working with the 1.1.3 Firmware.

If you are basing that assumption on the statement posted on Ambrosia's web site don't hold your breath. I've gotten some disheartening email messages from Ambrosia that make me think otherwise.

AJsAWiz
Feb 10, 2008, 05:53 PM
i would really hope that they update to work on 1.1.3 as some of us did pay to register the product

I now, consider my purchase of iToner as money flushed down the toilet. I think this is the first time I've paid for software I can't use as advertised when I first purchased it. I have deleted iToner from my system! I did not buy this product to go through multiple steps to get it work. I'm happy with Garageband for ring tones now. I wish I had saved that money as this method doesn't cost me a dime extra (I already had Garageband).

AJsAWiz
Feb 10, 2008, 09:18 PM
I have had a few issues with the workaround. Sometimes everything will work great, but others the ringtone won't work or show up. My whole point is that a lot of us paid the $15 for iToner when it was the best/easiest method and we would like to be able to use it still, even if some other methods are available.

I couldn't agree more! Sorry that I bought it :(

chr1s60
Feb 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
I personally just wrote Ambrosia and asked them if they were going to continue updating iToner. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon, but in the meantime, anyone else who would really like them to continue working hard on iToner should send them an email asking about it. I wrote the email to help@AmbrosiaSW.com.

ThunderSkunk
Feb 10, 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm trying to think of something more obnoxious than having ten seconds of some crappy pop song repeatedly blaring at you from horrendously tinny cellphone speakers, but the only thing I'm coming up with is having them squawk at you over and over every freakin day from every single girl in the office. ...and on the bus. ...and in line at lunch. ...and at the grocer. ...etc.

Obnoxious.

chr1s60
Feb 11, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm trying to think of something more obnoxious than having ten seconds of some crappy pop song repeatedly blaring at you from horrendously tinny cellphone speakers, but the only thing I'm coming up with is having them squawk at you over and over every freakin day from every single girl in the office. ...and on the bus. ...and in line at lunch. ...and at the grocer. ...etc.

Obnoxious.

Not everyone uses iToner to put annoying songs on the phone to use as a ringtone. I haven't put a single song on my phone as a ringtone since I purchased iToner. Instead, I used iToner to make up for the lack of high quality ringtones that come standard on the iPhone. I didn't like the volume or sound of the tones that came on the phone, so I made my own and put them on using iToner. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

AJsAWiz
Feb 11, 2008, 06:52 AM
I personally just wrote Ambrosia and asked them if they were going to continue updating iToner. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon, but in the meantime, anyone else who would really like them to continue working hard on iToner should send them an email asking about it. I wrote the email to help@AmbrosiaSW.com.

I did and got a unsatisfactory reply :(

chr1s60
Feb 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
I did and got a unsatisfactory reply :(

I wrote simply asking if they were continuing to update iToner because I had read differently on some sites. I was told "Yes we are and it will be out shortly." I am taking this as an acceptable answer for a week or so, but if there has been no release after then, I will be writing them again and asking what the problem is. Hopefully I received a correct response and the updated iToner will be released within a week or so.

gollum
Feb 12, 2008, 07:10 AM
I emailed them over a week ago for a refund, no response!
Time for another email I guess.

AJsAWiz
Feb 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
I emailed them over a week ago for a refund, no response!
Time for another email I guess.

Why did you request the refund (even though I could probably make a good guess)? Good luck with Ambrosia. Please post here if you are successful in getting the refund.

TEG
Feb 12, 2008, 11:39 AM
Just use GarageBand and it works fine.

I would, but Apple doesn't offer GarageBand as a seperate product, and because my computer won't run iMovie or iDVD, and I have a great photo organization software, I can't justify $54-70 for one program. If Apple offered it for $15-20 I'd jump at the chance because I could certainly use it for other things, but I'll just stick to Audacity for those things.

I know that they are working on it, but the 1.1.3 system is very different on the inside than 1.1.2. Also, someone should send them the link to this thread, as the CEO of Ambrosia is a member here, and is always open to critisism and comments.

TEG

gollum
Feb 12, 2008, 11:42 AM
Why did you request the refund (even though I could probably make a good guess)? Good luck with Ambrosia. Please post here if you are successful in getting the refund.

Because I waited for the last update (end of October) to buy iToner so I didn't have to jump through a several steps to "trick" iTunes and my iPhone into working with my ringtones.
iToner worked for 1 version of the iPhone software. I could understand that it takes a little while for them to update the software but the iPhone update came out, what, mid January? I'm getting the strong impression that Ambrosia doesn't care about updating iToner anymore.
At least they could do is have the dignity to email me a response turning me down for a refund, they can't even do that!
Please don't take anything in this post as being sarcastic, just trying to answer your question.

AJsAWiz
Feb 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
I would, but Apple doesn't offer GarageBand as a seperate product, and because my computer won't run iMovie or iDVD, and I have a great photo organization software, I can't justify $54-70 for one program. If Apple offered it for $15-20 I'd jump at the chance because I could certainly use it for other things, but I'll just stick to Audacity for those things.

I know that they are working on it, but the 1.1.3 system is very different on the inside than 1.1.2. Also, someone should send them the link to this thread, as the CEO of Ambrosia is a member here, and is always open to critisism and comments.

TEG

If you're referring to Andrew aka Moki (not sure of his exact position in the company).I haven't seen him here in ages . . . . hmmmmm, I wonder why :p

BTW, I LOVE using Garageband for ring tones! I have some of the coolest ring tones that can't be heard (or bought) anywhere.

Bongolo
Feb 12, 2008, 11:49 AM
Also, someone should send them the link to this thread, as the CEO of Ambrosia is a member here, and is always open to critisism and comments.

TEG

Andrew Welch (From Ambrosia) actually started this thread!

Bearing in mind he kept us informed of the situation before the upgrade to 1.0.4 & the fact that as starter of this thread he is subscribed to it and should get mails informing him of new replies, I can only assume that he has no comments.

This is very disappointing as I purchased iToner on the strength of the support he showed here. :(

This is my first purchase from Ambrosia, sadly, as they can't be bothered to keep their customers informed, it will also be my last. :( :(

gollum
Feb 12, 2008, 11:52 AM
Install GarageBand, go to this link:

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/create-custom-iphone-ringtones-the-free-and-apple-way-334073.php

It works great, free and easy and you don't have to wait for a 3rd party to get around to updating it.

I just want to take a moment and thank Ambrosia for doing to me what Microsoft did. Five years ago I was chased to the "other side" because of their software, I found a superior way for my home computing.
About a year ago I was tired of waiting for the Office update and using it's bloated sluggish software so I started using iWork for everything that I did with Office, it's much better software for what I need.
Now I was forced to find a better, easier, cheaper way for ringtones.
When it comes time for a screen recorder, I'm looking elsewhere.
Thank You, Bye, See Ya !!!

AJsAWiz
Feb 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
Because I waited for the last update (end of October) to buy iToner so I didn't have to jump through a several steps to "trick" iTunes and my iPhone into working with my ringtones.
iToner worked for 1 version of the iPhone software. I could understand that it takes a little while for them to update the software but the iPhone update came out, what, mid January? I'm getting the strong impression that Ambrosia doesn't care about updating iToner anymore.
At least they could do is have the dignity to email me a response turning me down for a refund, they can't even do that!
Please don't take anything in this post as being sarcastic, just trying to answer your question.

No, I didn't sense any sarcasm in your reply. I agree with you totally! I'm in the same boat with purchased software I can't use without jumping through several hoops and that's unacceptable. It DOES look like they don't care about upgrading iToner any more. It also looks like they could care less about people who purchased iToner. That's why I've put an indefinite hold on buying any future Ambrosia products. Why would I even consider buying more (Ambrosia products) after they've left me hanging with a product that doesn't work the way it was advertised when I bought it.

AJsAWiz
Feb 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
Install GarageBand, go to this link:

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/create-custom-iphone-ringtones-the-free-and-apple-way-334073.php

It works great, free and easy and you don't have to wait for a 3rd party to get around to updating it.

I just want to take a moment and thank Ambrosia for doing to me what Microsoft did. Five years ago I was chased to the "other side" because of their software, I found a superior way for my home computing.
About a year ago I was tired of waiting for the Office update and using it's bloated sluggish software so I started using iWork for everything that I did with Office, it's much better software for what I need.
Now I was forced to find a better, easier, cheaper way for ringtones.
When it comes time for a screen recorder, I'm looking elsewhere.
Thank You, Bye, See Ya !!!

My sentiments EXACTLY :D

AJsAWiz
Feb 12, 2008, 12:16 PM

Bearing in mind he kept us informed of the situation before the upgrade to 1.0.4 & the fact that as starter of this thread he is subscribed to it and should get mails informing him of new replies, I can only assume that he has no comments.

This is very disappointing as I purchased iToner on the strength of the support he showed here. :(

This is my first purchase from Ambrosia, sadly, as they can't be bothered to keep their customers informed, it will also be my last. :( :(

And then he disappeared! Ambrosia customer support is non existent.

chr1s60
Feb 12, 2008, 03:27 PM

I am with you on the end part there. I was really surprised when he was coming on the boards here and keeping people informed. That gave me faith in the company and is one of the reasons I ended up buying iToner. He made it sound like they wouldn't stop working hard and that iToner would progress into a great product with many features. The way he disappeared after iToner was broken this time is kind of weird since he has pretty much always kept people informed. The lack of his presence here has made me think iToner is going down the drain. I would love for him and Ambrosia to prove me wrong, but so far that seems unlikely. It's too bad too because I was considering buying Wiretap Studio from them after using the trial version. If I end up losing out on $15 it's one thing, but I am not gonna take a chance at losing out on $70 the same way.

AJsAWiz
Feb 12, 2008, 05:35 PM
I am with you on the end part there. I was really surprised when he was coming on the boards here and keeping people informed. That gave me faith in the company and is one of the reasons I ended up buying iToner. He made it sound like they wouldn't stop working hard and that iToner would progress into a great product with many features. The way he disappeared after iToner was broken this time is kind of weird since he has pretty much always kept people informed. The lack of his presence here has made me think iToner is going down the drain. I would love for him and Ambrosia to prove me wrong, but so far that seems unlikely. It's too bad too because I was considering buying Wiretap Studio from them after using the trial version. If I end up losing out on $15 it's one thing, but I am not gonna take a chance at losing out on $70 the same way.

Same here. I purchased WireTap Pro but held off on upgrading. Now, I'm glad I did. Maybe the next thing we'll hear is that Ambrosia is going out of business.

ThunderSkunk
Feb 13, 2008, 10:16 PM
Not everyone uses iToner to put annoying songs on the phone to use as a ringtone. I haven't put a single song on my phone as a ringtone since I purchased iToner. Instead, I used iToner to make up for the lack of high quality ringtones that come standard on the iPhone. I didn't like the volume or sound of the tones that came on the phone, so I made my own and put them on using iToner. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Indeed.

I was surprised to find not a single "normal" ring tone on this most advanced phone in the world. The closest thing was the loud, grating, jangly bell called "Old Phone". Where is the "dloodloodloodloodloo"? Gone are nice mid-range sinusoidal waves that sound like... telephones. Or at least phones from the post-rotary, but still pre-ringtone-crazed-teenybopper era.