PDA

View Full Version : What DVD System disk is right for PowerBook

tcamposr
Oct 20, 2007, 05:49 PM
Hi All;

I have a G4 Powerbook and I wanted to do a clean installation. I have my old my old mac mini dvds and thought I could use them on the powerbook. It says that it can not install that system in that machine. Am I missing something? Do I need a special dvd made for laptops?

Help me out please

TC

pkoch1
Oct 20, 2007, 07:04 PM
You just need your OS X disk.

tcamposr
Oct 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have the dvds for the mac mini but for some reason the powerbook says that it cannot install the system there. My powerbook is a G4 and is currently running Tiger. I just want to make a clean installation

Nermal
Oct 20, 2007, 11:09 PM
Mini disks are for a Mini :)

You'll either need the disks that came with your system or a set of retail disks.

Macky-Mac
Oct 21, 2007, 12:48 PM
I have the dvds for the mac mini but for some reason the powerbook says that it cannot install the system there. My powerbook is a G4 and is currently running Tiger. I just want to make a clean installation

the system disks that apple ships with computers are often set up to only install on the same type of computer they were shipped with

disconap
Oct 21, 2007, 01:13 PM
the system disks that apple ships with computers are often set up to only install on the same type of computer they were shipped with

Yup. The difference was the switch to DVD, as they include the added software specific to the model mac and the hardware test to the DVD, making the OS install disc specific to the model. CD install discs that shipped with macs in the past can generally be used on any Mac that existed at the time of release, though obviously it's against the user agreement. The added software was on a separate cd set at that time (as was the hardware test), and those discs couldn't be used with other models.

EDIT: to the OP, I suggest waiting a week and checking ebay for retail Tiger dvds, they'll likely be cheap once Leopard starts shipping.