PDA

View Full Version : MAXPower G4 CPU Upgrade

msjones
Oct 21, 2007, 02:36 AM
Hi

Has any had any experience with the new G4 CPU upgrade cards that are now on sale? (http://www.newertech.com/products/maxpower47.php)

Im new to the Mac and can only afford to buy a G4. The one I have is a dual 1GHZ model. I was thinking of buying one of these upgrade cards to upgrade to a dual 1.8GHZ. The benchmarks on the site say that they rival the speeds of the Mac G5 and Core 2 Duo Macs.

Basically with it being a third party hardware upgrade, I would just like to know if it will be reliable and good investment.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Mj

SmurfBoxMasta
Oct 21, 2007, 06:42 AM
Reliable: Yes

Good investment: not really, not @the $600 they want for a
DP 1.8..........

While I'm sure that upgrade would work as well as any others on the market, don't be fooled into thinking that you will be almost doubling the actual speed of your machine.......it WILL be alot faster, but NOT by 2x.....

I recently upgraded my QS from the stock 867 to a PowerLogix G4/1.6 (almost 2x) and it is WAY faster now in the things I do with it, but it still is not twice as fast as before......guess I should have run some before/after benchmarks.......oh well :p

bcpursel
Oct 21, 2007, 07:49 AM
i think you might be able to get a 1.8 dual G5 for $600. i've got the same G4 1Ghz, and it's been really slow lately for me. i decided to get the last version of the G5 (dual core) 2.0 Ghz, and found one for about $1250. i thought that was a better investment than retrofitting.

mopppish
Oct 21, 2007, 08:39 AM
Plus, um... You can get a 1.83 ghz C2D Mac Mini for $600 that will be faster than any of the G4 (and probably even G5) options discussed.
If you can only afford a G4 yet are still planning on spending a few hundred dollars on upgrading, I think it would probably be a much better option to go with a refurb Intel Mac Mini.

9Charms
Oct 21, 2007, 12:17 PM
If you can only afford a G4 yet are still planning on spending a few hundred dollars on upgrading, I think it would probably be a much better option to go with a refurb Intel Mac Mini.

I have to second this comment. The G4 architecture is not very modern. By contrast the Intel Core architecture is very highly regarded. From personal experience, my friend's Core Duo (1st gen intel mini) kicks butt on my Dual G5 2.0. For real.