PDA

View Full Version : Recently bought an Ipod.....a few questions

EGT
Sep 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
Hi there,

I've been looking for a good music player now for a while and i have a few friends that say the Apple Ipod is defiantly one of the best so I decided to get one.

I bought a 30GB Ipod from the Apple store and i was just wondering how long it will take to be delivered ?

Iím asking this because I asked for a personalized laser engraving and im not sure if this will take a few days, a week etc... I only placed the order on the 2nd, so I know its fairly inpatient of me to be asking "when when when" at this stage but im too excited!!!

I checked the order status page and it still says it's being assembled but for how long roughly will it take ?

Thanks
Ps im ordering from the UK

hugemullens
Sep 4, 2003, 03:27 PM
My friend ordered a laser engraved one about a week after the new ones where annouced and it took 3 days to ship. His was the 15 gig.

EGT
Sep 5, 2003, 11:50 AM
Cheers!!!

Im looking forward to it!!

loveshismac
Sep 5, 2003, 04:22 PM
I got the 30 gig one the day they were released

It took 3 days
no engraving though

Your gonna love it
You have a MAC or Pc version?
It has changed the way i listen to my tunes.

I still have 12 gigs left on it!

EGT
Sep 5, 2003, 04:37 PM
I'm using a PC at the moment, so i'll be using a PC version( Don't hurt me :eek: !!!!)

I can't stop checking the order status page!!! I hope it's here before next weekend!!!

:D

monkeydo_jb
Sep 5, 2003, 04:52 PM
I don't want to steal this thread,
but I'm interested in buying a 15GB iPod for my
Powerbook. Do I need to specify whether I want
the Windows or Mac version or do they ship
compatible with both?

Also, does anyone have experience with the
Malware Convertible sleeve for it?

Thanks.

-jeff

alia
Sep 5, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by monkeydo_jb
compatible with both?

They ship compatible with both! :)

Vector
Sep 5, 2003, 05:11 PM
compatible with both?

Also, does anyone have experience with the
Malware Convertible sleeve for it?

Thanks.

-jeff

They can be used on either platform (the 3g ones), but if you are going to use it on windows and do not have firewire you must buy a cable to connect to usb 2.

EGT
Sep 5, 2003, 05:12 PM
I was wondering why i didnt have to specify Mac or PC....

I assumed they shipped with both..

evolu
Sep 5, 2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by EGT
I can't stop checking the order status page!!! I hope it's here before next weekend!!!

:D

Just curious what the order status says right now?

stoid
Sep 6, 2003, 02:57 AM
Who is the shipping company?

If it's Airborne Express, expect at least 12 business days to ship even though they advertise 2-5 business days. My iPod took a week to ship, and the Air Express ****ing sat on it for two weeks so that I only got it just before I left for college. Since I don't have a Mac at school yet (PB 12" as soon as we get an update), all I have is the On-The-Go playlist.

So, all I have to say is that you have my best wishes that Apple is not shipping it to you via AirEx. If they are...
prepare to be frustrated to death waiting (BTW if it seems to be taking too long, call the tracking hotline thing, you'll be amazed how many different cities/countries/continents that little iPod will find itself in at one time.

Gymnut
Sep 6, 2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by stoid
Who is the shipping company?

If it's Airborne Express, expect at least 12 business days to ship even though they advertise 2-5 business days. My iPod took a week to ship, and the Air Express ****ing sat on it for two weeks so that I only got it just before I left for college. Since I don't have a Mac at school yet (PB 12" as soon as we get an update), all I have is the On-The-Go playlist.

So, all I have to say is that you have my best wishes that Apple is not shipping it to you via AirEx. If they are...
prepare to be frustrated to death waiting (BTW if it seems to be taking too long, call the tracking hotline thing, you'll be amazed how many different cities/countries/continents that little iPod will find itself in at one time.

Haha, I've had the same problem with Apple shipping via FedEX. Morons there had my Dual 1Ghz MDD sitting in their Hawaii hub for almost four days before finally getting around to deliver. For all I know it probably served as a seat for some overweight oaf.

skychum
Sep 6, 2003, 06:25 AM
I ordered some stuff from apple a few days ago. They shippped the printer through FedEx, and it arrived today (but I wasn't here to get it), and they just shipped my ipod through AirEx. Those bastards better treat it nicely and get it here on time. I'm in California though, so I hope I'll have better luck than most.
When I first ordered the ipod, apple said it would take 2-3 weeks to ship it, meaning they would have it on it's way in 2-3 weeks, but it only took them a couple of days. I ordered the 10gig though, so demand may be lower than the other models.

jer2665
Sep 6, 2003, 07:08 AM
I've had the same problem getting anything from airborn express. If it's who I'm thinking of, basically they blow because the normal shipping you usually get is a co-op kind of thing with usps. Everything i've ordered has taken a while, then gets to the post office, and doesn't go out for another 2 days. Boo..

anyway, I bought my ipod at best buy. and that's what i'd recomend to anyone. Normally I realize what a load of crap extended warranties are, but after hearing a lot of things, and after watching all the "How to add another power source, or hardware to your ipod" on tech tv, I was convinced. So now i have, i dunno how long, but longer coverage than I would from apple, for like, i think it was $20.

EGT
Sep 6, 2003, 07:47 AM
The order status is still "being assembled"....

Getting more nervous now...

Falleron
Sep 6, 2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by EGT
The order status is still "being assembled"....

Getting more nervous now...
I believe there is a bit of a shortage of new iPods here in the UK. Hope you dont have to wait too long. My 20Gb iPod is great!

Quick note, the apple store (in the UK) estimates a 2-3 week wait for a 30Gb iPod at the moment.

EGT
Sep 7, 2003, 06:17 PM
I'm going to ring the Apple Store Contact Information centre, just to see if i can get a more accurate ship date...

I would love to have it before next weekend...

Fingers crossed.
:cool:

monkeydo_jb
Sep 8, 2003, 11:13 AM
So if I order the 20GB version and use it with my powerbook
at home, can I take it to work and use it with a Windows XP
box or do you have to choose a platform to format it with?

Thanks,

-jeff

jer2665
Sep 8, 2003, 12:21 PM
So if I order the 20GB version and use it with my powerbook
at home, can I take it to work and use it with a Windows XP
box or do you have to choose a platform to format it with?

Thanks,

-jeff

yes, you install music match on your pc, (it's included on disc) and you use itunes on your mac, and you can add music from either. As long as you have firewire on your pc, it'll plug right in. You can use it as an external harddrive, and take the stuff off of it on either system. just so you know, unless you use an aftermarket program, you can't take the music off, unless you upload it to it as data, instead of an mp3.

EGT
Sep 8, 2003, 12:41 PM
I rang them today, still 2-3 weeks :(

aww well, but... it has been upgraded to 40GB!!! :D

Do I need to use firewire ? I was told USB 2.0 works with the Ipods also.

Im a little confused about "you can't take the music off"... slightly worrying thought....

Explain to me more why i can't remove MP3s from the Ipods..

jer2665
Sep 8, 2003, 01:23 PM
well, when you connect the ipod, neither itunes or music match, wont let you just copy the mp3s from your ipod to whatever computer, but there are plenty of programs out there check www.versiontracker.com look for ipod ripper or something, that let you take the music off. i've just never used one. and i dunno, maybe you can use usb, i just use the firewire personally.

EGT
Sep 8, 2003, 02:47 PM
Ok, I hate to sound thick, but this has sort of knocked me off the straight and narrow....

I can put all the music that I have on my PC onto the IPod, and delete it off again, I.e. have an empty Ipod...?? :o

Iím not really concerned with putting Music from the Ipod onto the computer but if I were, what is the best software to use?

Thanks!

jer2665
Sep 8, 2003, 09:23 PM
ok, maybe i shouldn't have said anything and confuse you :-x

basically, you can use the ipod the exact same on pc or on the mac, by using itunes(mac) and musicmatch (pc) to import songs. You can also use the ipod as an external harddrive on either a mac or a pc. You can add a file on your mac, and copy it from the mac to the pc or vice versa as long as it's saved as data.

Neither itunes, or musicmatch lets you take the music from the ipod unless its in data format (like normal data, you'd be using it as a harddrive) as opposed to the normal music format you listen to. one program i know about (i haven't used it much, but just a couple times) like http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/software/ipodrip.php will let you connect your ipod, and transfer the songs from it to your mac harddrive. this would only be usefull if you wanted to copy all of your mp3s to a different computer.

Jerry Spoon
Sep 8, 2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by EGT
I rang them today, still 2-3 weeks :(

aww well, but... it has been upgraded to 40GB!!! :D

Sweet!!! I'd wait a little longer for that!:D

EGT
Sep 9, 2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for explaining jer2665.

yeah, i'm prepared to wait a little longer.....

only a little though ....;) :D

EGT
Oct 5, 2003, 02:59 PM
Ok, its coming (it was shipped on the 23rd of September)

It was ment to be here last tuesday but now it looks like it won't be here 'till this coming tuesday... :eek:

It has come from Taipei to Luxembourg to Utrecht then hopfully to my doorstep!!! :D

BTw, where exactly is Utrecht ? Is it in the Netherlands somewhere ?

Thanks again

blueflame
Oct 6, 2003, 12:52 AM
So, does anyone know, where i can find a peice of software fr something so that itunes can play music striaght from my ipod, instread of having it on my computer, it seems kind of redundant to have it on both when they are so often connected
Andreas

notjustjay
Oct 6, 2003, 11:48 AM
Don't use MusicMatch. Use Xplay (www.mediafour.com).

It costs an extra $30 but it's SO worth it. You don't even need to install the Windows software from the Apple CD, and you won't need to re-format the iPod to Windows FAT32 format.

You just install XPlay, plug in your iPod, and it's there. You can drag and drop songs onto your iPod, and it's not difficult at all to drag them BACK to your PC hard drive if you want.

And of course you can play mp3's directly from your iPod over your PC's audio system.

It's just so much nicer than MusicMatch. And, since you didn't reformat your iPod to Windows format, you'll be able to plug it right into a Mac and make it coexist with both.

A hint though: If you decide to use the same iPod with both your PC and your Mac, TURN OFF AUTO-SYNCHRONIZATION. I failed to notice this, and the first time I plugged it into my new PB, iTunes helpfully synchronized my iPod to match its own music library: i.e. it deleted all the songs off my iPod. Grr.

I daresay that managing music on my iPod was actually EASIER with XPlay than it was with iTunes.