PDA

View Full Version : Helpppp! (what powerbook G4 can do)

krish
Oct 21, 2007, 11:46 AM
hey!
i have a powerbook G4...as i am a new user to apple....i just wanted to know what things i could do with it...ie shortcuts...effects...whatever! this is its spec: version 10.2.8 memory (ram) 512 and processor:500Mhz powerpc G4...is this a good spec? and if i wanted to install new ram where is the cheapest place i could buy 1....i dont knw what is the maximum i could have in this laptop but do you think 1 gb in total would be enough?what is the best ram for this machine? (url?) what is the maximum? and how could i run xp on this machine? and i would also like to run adobe photoshop csx3 is this wise? thanks! and if anyone has a laptop like this please get in touch! if anything contact me via email: k2_kansara@hotmail.com ciao!

mkrishnan
Oct 21, 2007, 12:05 PM
Whoa, slow down, my n00b friend.

At 500MHz, you have the original Titanium Powerbook G4 from 2001. You can see details about it here:

http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=pg4&performa=off&sort=family&order=ASC

It can have at most 1GB in the form of 2x512MB, but how you upgrade depends on if you have 1x512 now or 2x256. You can look at dealram.com to see pricing for memory. Upgrading to 1GB is probably justified, although PC100 memory is probably not cheap anymore.

http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/systems/Apple-Power-Book-G4-15-in-400-500-MHz-PC100/5/512MB.html

It looks like 512MB modules are about $60 each, at least in the USA. To get to 1GB, you need one if you have 1x512 now, and you need two if you have 2x256 now.

You could run XP in emulation using VirtualPC (or Q, etc, but they're slower), but the performance of that Mac in Windows XP in emulation would be approximately akin to a 486 processor. IE painfully slow.

Adobe CS3 ... I don't know if that's out of that computer's league or not. I'd guess it would be quite slow, but with 1GB of memory, it might be usable.

A better plan would probably be to upgrade it to Panther (OS X 10.3) or maybe Tiger (10.4, if and only if you get more memory), and find a used copy of Adobe CS1. And forget about Windows.

Maxiseller
Oct 21, 2007, 12:42 PM
hey!
i have a powerbook G4...as i am a new user to apple....i just wanted to know what things i could do with it...ie shortcuts...effects...whatever! this is its spec: version 10.2.8 memory (ram) 512 and processor:500Mhz powerpc G4...is this a good spec? and if i wanted to install new ram where is the cheapest place i could buy 1....i dont knw what is the maximum i could have in this laptop but do you think 1 gb in total would be enough?what is the best ram for this machine? (url?) what is the maximum? and how could i run xp on this machine? and i would also like to run adobe photoshop csx3 is this wise? thanks! and if anyone has a laptop like this please get in touch! if anything contact me via email: k2_kansara@hotmail.com ciao!

My only advice is not to expect it to run very well. You've got seven year old technology in your hands there, and it isn't capable of the modern stuff.

CS3? Forget it. CS2 would be slow. Windows? XP!? No chance.

Plus, a quick google search would work wonders in your case. Crucial do good memory. If you're going to be holding onto the mac, and running 10.4 you'll need at least a gig of memory, so max it out.

If you're looking for a good intro to the mac, then enjoy; but remember that the new, modern machines blow your powerbook out of the water.

Moof1904
Oct 21, 2007, 01:19 PM
I have this same exact laptop. Up until recently, I ran OSX 10.4 server on it and ran a file server in my home with no problem. When I got a faster computer to act as server, I reinstalled 10.4 on the laptop and it's now my traveling companion.

It works great running MS Office, Mail, Safari, and a couple of other apps (e.g., Daylite) that I use to stay organized. It has an 802.11g wireless card in it that works great and I run Photoshop CS on it for casual photo manipulation (nothing too intense).

I doubt that the laptop will handle Leopard well, but running Tiger, it still feels quite zippy and very, very usable.

In fact, running 10.4 on it produces a far more responsive and snappy user experience than a brand new Lenovo laptop running Vista that I have sitting next to it at the moment.