PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth for the Net

MacMaelstrom
Sep 4, 2003, 04:11 PM
I heard Steve talking about using Bluetooth to connect wirelessly to a cellphone for internet access... Just how fast is this?

I thought bluetooth was along the lines of serial speeds... Not too sharp for internet.:(

Phatpat
Sep 4, 2003, 04:23 PM
I think bluetooth max is somewhere in the range of 784 kbps (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the limiting factor would be the speed from the cell phone.

If anyone has any experience with this, can you share specifics of it? I just got a Sony/Ericsson T616 and would like to use it to connect to the internet with the powerbook I'm planning on purchasing. Does it use minutes of my phone, or data on a web plan for the phone itself? do I need to call a dial up number?

strider42
Sep 4, 2003, 04:24 PM
sloooooowwwwwwwww, no one in their right mind would connect using bluetooth for the internet if other options are available, Bluetooth is roughly 1/10th the speed of USB (about the same as a serial port I believe). It mght be OK for an emergency thing, but not for doing any real web surfing.

Ryan1524
Sep 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
BT can be fast, but not with the kind of conenction speed we're getting from cellphones today. maybe once 3G is in full swing. :)

pianojoe
Sep 4, 2003, 06:09 PM
My cell phone won't give me more than 14.400 bps on a phone line, and about 42k via GRPS. Could be a limitation by my network provider.