Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Both of our 1.6 G5's arrived this afternoon. I thought that I would share this with everyone. We were pretty excited about it. :D

Now I can sleep at night. :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What, sleep? I'd be spending a ton of time working on getting them setup....

You're going to get folding going on them, right? ;)

Congrats!

D

Johnboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2003
Clue me in please. What is this talk of folding? What is folding? I have been dying to ask. Thanks

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
What, sleep? I'd be spending a ton of time working on getting them setup....

You're going to get folding going on them, right? ;)

Congrats!

D

Folding LOL... Yeah... For those of us who don't like throwing money into garbage, we have to pay electric bills. And for folding, noone will ever even say: "THANX" to you.

Folding is... using your computer to calculate some formulas 24/7 in order to uncover some things like whether aliens exist or how life was born etc... You get points depending on how much you get done. and that is it. Unless you have something like P4 1.8, i wouldn't even bother, as you won't get 1% in 3 hours.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
actually, folding helps find cures and treatments for diseases. There are lots of people who will say "Thanks".

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I just went over to the local CompUSA and played around with their 1.6ghz G5. I can't believe how responsive it was (and it only had 256 megs of RAM). I'm sure I'll be even more blown away by the Dual 2.0. Man, makes me even more anxious for a G5 powerbook!

And one of those sweet 20" displays. :)

Alia

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Rezet

Folding is... using your computer to calculate some formulas 24/7 in order to uncover some things like whether aliens exist or how life was born etc... You get points depending on how much you get done. and that is it. Unless you have something like P4 1.8, i wouldn't even bother, as you won't get 1% in 3 hours.

What kind of machine are you using that gets 1% in 3 hrs? I have a 700mhz PIII and i let it run overnight, no other programs, and i usually get about 5-10% progress on a 400WU overnight.

What kind of comp are you using for folding Rezet?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
good goign rezet, made a comment against folding on a folding site. if you dont like folding just keep it to yourself, it stirs some people up.

iJon

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
That's just how Rezet gets his jollies. If everyone thinks something is good, Rezet says it isn't. I've pretty much learned to ignore his posts.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by chadfromdallas
thought this was a macrumors forum :confused: :confused: :confused:
well what i meant this is a site who feels very strongly for folding, and it wasnt right for him to bash it. i think folding is cool, i just dont do it for certain reasons, i used too though.

iJon

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by Flowbee
That's just how Rezet gets his jollies. If everyone thinks something is good, Rezet says it isn't. I've pretty much learned to ignore his posts.

Rezet = boat rocker

Still, it's not unheard-of for him to find a real problem.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Rezet = boat rocker

Still, it's not unheard-of for him to find a real problem.
Hehe... In some other places I visit on the web (ahem... Slashdot), we call these people trolls... ;)

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by illumin8
Hehe... In some other places I visit on the web (ahem... Slashdot), we call these people trolls... ;)

LOL, you call anyone a troll who disagrees with your views. I have a right to my opinion and I voice it. I don't fold and not going to. A guy asked what it was and I told him. If you feel so strongly about folding go to your folding forums and bash me there. This is HARDWARE DISCUSSION.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by Flowbee

HUH? Disagree with you? I don't even know who you are dude. And frankly not gonna be upset if I never find out.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by tazo
What kind of machine are you using that gets 1% in 3 hrs? I have a 700mhz PIII and i let it run overnight, no other programs, and i usually get about 5-10% progress on a 400WU overnight.

What kind of comp are you using for folding Rezet?

That's not what i meant. i meant that you should have a good computer if you plan on jumping into this. I took the numbers mostly out of the head.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
and if you people don't mind:
back to the g5 topic

i still had no opportunity to see or touch one. looks like i will go tomorrow to the next mac store here in zurich/switzerland and have a look at one.

btw: did you know that switzerland has the highest mac-market-share - almost 10%! and if you go from architecture company to architecture company you see approximately 50% macs!

a cool place to life :)
.a

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
need advice!

should I get a powerbook of some sort when they update it? or go with a g5 and get a fancy PDA for notetaking in class?

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Re: need advice!

Originally posted by davidc2182
should I get a powerbook of some sort when they update it? or go with a g5 and get a fancy PDA for notetaking in class?

Dont get PDA. It's almost impossible to use for this kinda things.
You see, let me put it this way. Powerbooks are OLD, and outdated. Now if they were around 1500 for 1Ghz model, I wouldn;t have a problem with it. But I think it is a suicide to pay 3k+ for a decent laptop. Now having said that, I'll tell you, regardless of that powerbooks are still amazing machines. sure they are not really power fighters but they can still compete if not all but perhaps many levels. If you don't plan on doing anything heavy, 15" powerbook is a way to go. BUt for heavy stuff, i'd suggest G5. But then again, how can you really compare a laptop and a desktop.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by alia
. Man, makes me even more anxious for a G5 powerbook!

I think you'll be waiting a while for a G5 Powerbook. I mean, the heatsink in the current desktop is about the size of a Powerbook (not to mention 9 fans in the dual) though knowing how innovative Apple are maybe they're going to bring out a G5 Powerbake - combined hotplate and G5 laptop - Think different, very different.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I think you'll be waiting a while for a G5 Powerbook. I mean, the heatsink in the current desktop is about the size of a Powerbook (not to mention 9 fans in the dual) though knowing how innovative Apple are maybe they're going to bring out a G5 Powerbake - combined hotplate and G5 laptop - Think different, very different.
Not this again. G5 Power Mac runs quieter and cooler because of those fans and specific cooling zone design. Last generation of G4 Power Macs had big issues with fan noise, which they dealt with in new G5 Power Mac. Big heat sink takes load off the job that fans perform in cooling the processors. As far as I know, G5 consumes very little power (you can go through this forum and find articles on this) and therefore reasonable explanation of its size is that heat sink was designed to minimize the fans effort in cooling the processors, thereby making the computer run quieter.

I do think it will take a while for G5 PowerBook to come out, but not because of heat problems and such. It has more to do with 1) giving Power Mac enough time to bring its sales numbers back up 2) giving Power Mac enough time to be equipped with faster G5 so that when G5 PowerBook comes out, Power Mac will have sufficient lead in clock speed.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Originally posted by .a
i still had no opportunity to see or touch one. looks like i will go tomorrow to the next mac store here in zurich/switzerland and have a look at one.

btw: did you know that switzerland has the highest mac-market-share - almost 10%! and if you go from architecture company to architecture company you see approximately 50% macs!

a cool place to life :)

Whoa! :eek: That is a cool place to live...

Plus, you lucky Swiss get to keep your army issued assault rifles at home. :D

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Re: need advice!

Originally posted by davidc2182

Depends on what type of class and notes you end up taking.
If you need to a lot of drawings and diagrams and such, forget the fancy PDA.

Get a G5 for in the dorm room/home, and a bunch of loose leaf college ruled 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper, and a bunch of pens in different colors. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.