PDA

View Full Version : Selling my old G4

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2002, 10:13 AM
So some day, Apple will come out with a G5 and I'm planning on upgrading. I won't want to keep my old G4 450, Gig RAM, 2 18 Gig SCSI drives, DVDRAM, zip and an Apple 21" CRT.

How should I go about selling this thing. I don't look forward to shipping it, the monitor weighs 75 pounds, and I don't have the box. I have the box for the G4 though.

Any thoughts, help on this would be great.

Thanks.

mischief
Apr 11, 2002, 11:18 AM
What video card?

Sawtooth?

iGav
Apr 11, 2002, 12:43 PM
I think Arn was listening to you on this one........

Rather than flog it, why not trade it in against a G5 when it comes out??

Just a thought......:D

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2002, 01:10 PM
How do you trade it in?

Yeah, Sawtooth, first issue G4, APG

krossfyter
Apr 11, 2002, 01:49 PM
duke...

http://www.powermax.com/home/tradein.html

there is a number of others i think but i cant remember them.

Geert
Apr 11, 2002, 01:53 PM
You can always start a selling thread!

If it were a dual I would have been intrested.
Better use that one as a webserver or something.
Or if your into rendering, Bryce 5 can use clockspeeds of all available computers on your Local network!
I wouldn't give up on that machine.
That is one of the first machine with G4 CPU, perhaps 20 years from now, people also want to spend extra cash on the first G4 machines like the first mac+
;)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Geert

That is one of the first machine with G4 CPU, perhaps 20 years from now, people also want to spend extra cash on the first G4 machines like the first mac+
;)

I'm just seeing what my options are right now. I use Lightwave, which does distributed rendering, so I'd have an advantage in keeping it around. But I'll also need as much money as I can get my hands on when I get the G5, which I we all don't know when its coming out. Also its a matter of space. The 21" CRT is huge. I love it, but I'd also love to trade it in. I'm thinking dual 22" monitors. So getting rid of system will help pay for the extra monitor. A twenty year investment on a first issue G4, hmm. Computers will be so different in 20 years, this thing will look like a beast. I don't see it sitting around in the basement that long.

I'm currently on hold with the powermax people, I'm going to find out how much I can get.

Geert
Apr 11, 2002, 03:29 PM
I really like your avatar dukestreet.
But since the threads are in various degrees between white and gray.
It would look nicer if your background was to be transparant.
I'm not saying that your avatar is no good, on the contrary I envy your greatlookin' avatar. But if you scroll through some threads where you posted you'll see that some posts it looks like your avatar is floating, and on some it is boxed in that white background.
btw will you unveil any of your avatar secrets, or how you start creating such cool lookin' GIF's?

Geert
Apr 11, 2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Geert
btw will you unveil any of your avatar secrets, or how you start creating such cool lookin' GIF's?

So I can already start practising for when I reach my 500th post:p

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2002, 03:37 PM
Its just a first run at an avatar. I'll be working on it later and get the transparnecy done. But its not the one I'm staying with. I've got a much more interesting one in the works.

Rendering in Lightwave
Post in photoshop and image ready.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2002, 03:38 PM
I went and gave a call to powermax. My system will get me all of $800 for a trade in. That's not with the monitor. He said I might be able to get over $1000 if I go on ebay. I might end up doing that when the time comes.

MacKenzie999
Apr 11, 2002, 09:33 PM
"How should I go about selling this thing. I don't look forward to shipping it, the monitor weighs 75 pounds, and I don't have the box. I have the box for the G4 though."

You could do the regional eBay thing, where the buyer has to pick it up. I bought my mom an imac that way.

That's how a lot of ebay people deal in furniture sales and other cumbersome objects. Personally I would not want to buy a second-hand monitor that has been bounced around in shipping.

This cuts your potential market way way down, but if you are patient you have a good chance. I have a similar machine and have been thinking similar thoughts.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by MacKenzie999

You could do the regional eBay thing, where the buyer has to pick it up. I bought my mom an imac that way.

I started thinking that maybe I should limit who I would sell it to on ebay, I didn't know they had a regional system. Very cool, that's what I'll do. But again, I'm going to be waiting till the G5s come out and then pull together what ever I can to get the money. I might have to settle on only 1 22" Apple Cinema Display, keep the 21" CRT as a second monitor until I can get some more cash for the second one. As things stand right now, it would be better to have G5s in MWSF '03 than in July, but I'd still love to see them sooner.

MacKenzie999
Apr 12, 2002, 06:36 AM
"I might have to settle on only 1 22" Apple Cinema Display"

That is so sad, how ever will you manage?

iGav
Apr 12, 2002, 07:23 AM
Remember though that when the G5's come out, (prob MWSF 03) your machine will be worth less...... as the current top flight G4's will be hitting the used market as people upgrade to the new machines.....

I like ebay, and the US ebay seems better than the UK one, for some reason Americans start with a lower reserve much more often than they do over here where people only seem interested in making a profit and selling the products with a seriously high reserve!!

That said though, if they did release the G5 in MWNY, by MWSF 03 the superior Rev b model should be out by then... always a better buy!! ;)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 12, 2002, 08:33 AM
"I might have to settle on only 1 22" Apple Cinema Display"

That is so sad, how ever will you manage?

I have two monitors at work. If you've ever had a set up like that you'd do what ever you could. One alternative it 3 17", which I might do anyway. I'd have to buy another video card but it would still be cheaper.

The reason I need the extra acreage is for doing non-linear DV and 3D animation. Lightwave has two separate programs for 3D modeling and animation all connected by a third program, the Hub. By having one application running in each window, it makes it easier to update and manage work flow.

MacKenzie999
Apr 12, 2002, 08:50 AM
"I have two monitors at work. If you've ever had a set up like that you'd do what ever you could. One alternative it 3 17", which I might do anyway. I'd have to buy another video card but it would still be cheaper."

I use two monitors at work also, I'm a broadcast designer. That was just a tease I wasn't slamming you. I guess in email you don't really feel the elbow to the ribs.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 12, 2002, 10:10 AM
I use two monitors at work also, I'm a broadcast designer. That was just a tease I wasn't slamming you. I guess in email you don't really feel the elbow to the ribs.

Oh, ow!

Sarcasm and subtleties can be difficult to comminicate. No offense taken.

What systems do you use at work?

MacKenzie999
Apr 12, 2002, 10:42 PM
"What systems do you use at work? [/B][/QUOTE]

We have a couple seats of flame, smoke, combustion, maya, fcp...those are all areas where I art direct. For hands-on I use After Effects and all the usual graphic suspects, Photoshop, Freehand, etc. I just learned Indesign for a certain job and I'm very impressed, all the ease of use of pagemaker with the real-world strength of quark, and awesome typographic control. I'm thinking of picking up fcp, not that I really need it right now but it seems like a good skill to have. Plus the software dummy at my co. learned it in a couple of days so it sounds pretty easy to master.

Ensign Paris
Apr 21, 2002, 08:30 AM
Two monitors is the best way for a Power-User to work.

Ensign