PDA

View Full Version : Clamshell iBook CD-ROM/CD-R Help!!

besson3c
Sep 4, 2003, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I hate the CD-ROM player in my original 300Mhz iBook. It has so much problems with burned media.

I bought a bunch of CD-R's with absolutely no labels on them a long time ago, and they seem to work perfectly. However, I'm out of them and since there is no label I can't determine the make.. =)

I have tried Memorex, Sony, KHypermedia, and Verbatum burned CD media, and none will read properly.

I'm sick of spending money with experimenting with CD-Rs to find out they are useless (fortunately, I can use them with my future laptop).

If you are an iBook owner and have found a brand of CD-R media that actually works reliably, please let me know. Please do not post if you have some ideas as to what I could try, there is plenty info on the web. I need to know what *will* work... if it doesn't, I'll hunt you down! =)

(Okay, your opinions will also be highly valued, but what I'm really looking for is actual experience).

Thanks so much, in advance!

vniow
Sep 4, 2003, 10:05 PM
Yeh, its a real pain, I've never been able to find a brand that works on mine, they all seem screwy.

One of the ways I get the files from a CD-R/RW onto my iBook is to get the files off from a PC or make a disc image of it then transfer it over the network.
Another way that sometimes works is to open Disc Copy and set it to record a new image from a device or volume, if the computer can read the disc at least on a certain level, then you may be able to get the files off of it that way, its pretty troublesome and often doesn't work but it couldn't hurt to try...

besson3c
Sep 4, 2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Yeh, its a real pain, I've never been able to find a brand that works on mine, they all seem screwy.

One of the ways I get the files from a CD-R/RW onto my iBook is to get the files off from a PC or make a disc image of it then transfer it over the network.
Another way that sometimes works is to open Disc Copy and set it to record a new image from a device or volume, if the computer can read the disc at least on a certain level, then you may be able to get the files off of it that way, its pretty troublesome and often doesn't work but it couldn't hurt to try...

Yeah, I would do that but I'm trying to install an OS... There is no way I know of to install an OS without using the CD. Can you think of a way?