Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
The German news magazine "Der Spiegel" reports, that Japan, South Korea and China are seriously planning on a substitute for MS Windows.

The Link to the origianal article in german

And here is the google translation:

Japan, China and South Korea plan the development of a replacement program for Microsofts Windows. The asiatic states want to decrease thereby their dependence of the US manufacturer. Microsoft could thereby in the future several hundred million customer lose.

Tokyo - a speaker of the Japanese government said, of Japan Minister of Trade Takeo Hiranuma the project wanted to bring on Wednesday in motion. Then it meets the ministers of economics of China and South Korea at the edge of a restaurant summit of the countries of the Asean alliance. With them it wants to specify concrete steps for the development of an Windows alternative.

"Japan does not have the intention of rejecting a certain product", said the speaker. "however Microsoft Windows dominates everywhere, although the people want to test also different products." Therefore it is important to work on alternatives.

A further reason for the step unique in this form is the increased occurrence of computer viruses in Windows systems in the last months. Thereby many the high dependence on Microsofts operating system became only conscious.

Basis for spare substitution of the Asians can be the operating system Linux. The program offers view of the source code to everyone and could therefore by asiatic programmers be developed further and with the special needs of the countries be co-ordinated.

First considerations for the development of an Windows alternative had been already exchanged in March at a meeting by asiatic software developers in Thailand. Meanwhile Sharp, NEC Hitachi and Fujitsu also several universities are to take part in the plans beside technology companies such as Toshiba.

Despite the Asean summit on Wednesday a concrete development plan is specified according to data of the Japanese daily paper "Asahi Shimbun" probably only in the middle of Septembers. Then top officials of the Ministries of Trade from Japan, China and South Korea meet to a further meeting.

I think the golden days for Micro$hit are over soon! ;)

groovebuster

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I saw a bit on headline news about how to break away from M$. (Well I saw the ad.) But I feel a growing resentment of M$. I think that German town that went linux was the first sign in "The RISE of Apple!!!!" (Even though it was Linux. :) Apple does have the easiest to use Unix out there.....

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Actually I don't think that Apple will get a big pice of the pie... Linux is the way to go for most companies and government. Open Source makes sure that the software has no hidden "special features" and the don't have to switch their hardware in most cases...

Apple will gain market share, but Linux will gain muc more on the long run.

groovebuster

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Linux may at first. Then when it's time tim update their hardware, Apple will look much more appetizing. We are more even with Linux then being behind with M$. I've been calling for this for almost 2 years now. It's just a matter of time, M$'s days are numbered.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by Kid Red
Linux may at first. Then when it's time tim update their hardware, Apple will look much more appetizing. We are more even with Linux then being behind with M$. I've been calling for this for almost 2 years now. It's just a matter of time, M$'s days are numbered.

yeah, but if you look at the numbers, linux's growth rate is quite positive, whereas apple's is either slightly negative or slightly positive.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that a win for Linux is a win for Apple. They're competitors, too.

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Originally posted by patrick0brien
"Whom the gods want to destroy they send 40 year of success"-Peter Drucker

Nice quote!

Any awakening of the consumer to Windows alternatives is a plus for Apple. (Does that sentence even make sense?)

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
Do not joke about CJK support in TRON. Nobody beats it. Nobody even comes close.

It's free. It's open-source. It has been thoroughly tested. And it is widely known by many asian engineers.

Most of its documentation is in Japanese, though, which anyways I do not think is such a problem for Japanese, at least.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
SEATTLE -- A plan by Japan, China and South Korea to develop an alternative operating system to Microsoft's Windows software would raise concerns over fair competition, the world's No. 1 software maker said on Friday.

That's funny... :D Fair competition? Since when M$ ever was interested in fair competition? It's like a vegan being a butcher and condemning meat eaters...

Bu-bye Micro$haft! We won't miss you at all! :rolleyes:

groovebuster

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Very interesting! I hope that the Mac platform will also get more attention because of that. That people finally realize that there are other alternatives out there and start to use them...

groovebuster

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.