PDA

View Full Version : Laser Printers and Macs

CryptoMac
Sep 5, 2003, 10:01 AM
I have made the decision to switch back to Mac. My first system was an old SE and I still use it occasionally. I have an HP Laserjet that I currently use with my PC but don't see it listed on Apples list of printers. Does this mean that it won't work or just that they won't support it? Appreciate any words of wisdom.

patrick0brien
Sep 5, 2003, 10:06 AM
-CryptoMac

I assume it's USB. The physical plug will be your biggest worry here.

If it is USB, you can search HP's site for HP drivers, and if that fails, you can use Gimp-Print (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3)

Gotta love open source!

zer0army
Sep 5, 2003, 11:27 AM
Which Hp laserjet is it ?

I have the HP Laserjet 1000 (usb) and have not been able to get it to work under os x. I also tried using Gimp-Print as mentioned by patrick0brien but I still had trouble. However I saw that the next printer up in that series was listed in Gimp-Print, the Laserjet 1100 I think.

So anything better then the 1000 and you should be fine.

CryptoMac
Sep 5, 2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the information. It is an 1100....those have only Parallel connections. Guess I am SOL. Dang.

TEG
Sep 5, 2003, 11:44 AM
CryptoMac, not intirely, you can still buy USB to Parallel cables. With that, you can use it with little expence (<$20).

TEG

CryptoMac
Sep 5, 2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks TEG. I did not think to even ask if there was a converter. I will give it a try as soon as I get my new mac. Thanks again.

danlundun
Sep 8, 2005, 08:44 PM
i have the same issue. i run mac os X and have been given an hp laserjet 1100. i was expecting just to buy a parallel port to usb converter cable but don't want to do that if the printer will not run on mac. does anyone know if you can run this printer off of mac os 10?

thanks!

Thanks TEG. I did not think to even ask if there was a converter. I will give it a try as soon as I get my new mac. Thanks again.

Makosuke
Sep 9, 2005, 12:44 AM
I helped out a business who ran an absolutely archaic HP laser printer (far older than the 1100) for years using a parallel-USB adapter; it was a little quirky, but worked ok, so I expect you should be able to get your printer working with a bit of effort.

On the other hand, it's worth remembering that you can buy a brand new USB laser printer that you can be sure will work for around $100, so if the adapter starts getting expesive or you don't want the hassle, it's not going to cost you much to replace it.