PDA

View Full Version : Apple Attracting Indies to iTunes Movies

MacRumors
Oct 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

NYTimes reports (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/movies/23appl.html?_r=1&oref=slogin) on Apple's efforts to bring more content and visibility to the Movie section of the iTunes Store.

On November 20th, iTunes will serve as the exclusive launch for the independent film "Purple Violets" directed by Edward Burns. This is the first time that a feature film will make its commercial debut on iTunes.

In late September, iTunes also distributed a free 13-minute short "Hotel Chevalier" as a promotional vehicle for the film "Darjeeling Limited".

Apple's iTunes movie segment has seen some success but still houses less than 1,000 titles. Movie studios have reportedly been reluctant to provide additional content due to disagreements in pricing and digital rights management.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/23/apple-attracting-indies-to-itunes-movies/)

Grimace
Oct 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
What a fantastic move -- hopefully iTunes will really become a full-service online media hub for new and established talent!

twoodcc
great news! the more movies the better. next we just need Hi-Def

Zwhaler
this is cool and all, but I want HD content.

megfilmworks
Oct 23, 2007, 10:09 AM
What a great outlet for the indies!

Squonk
Oct 23, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hey :apple:! Bring more movie titles to your store and that will push me over the top to purchase an :apple:TV. And while you are at it, include HD movies with full surround sound. And allow the :apple:TV to handle HD and surround.

Seriously, more movies to choose from is a great thing!

mkrishnan
Oct 23, 2007, 10:11 AM
I read this on NYT this morning also. Good news for Apple. Although... I actually would really like to see this movie, although I don't suspect I'll want to *own* it. So hopefully houses that do this still release DVDs so that I can rent it! :p

Blue Velvet
Oct 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
Movie studios have reportedly been reluctant to provide additional content due to disagreements in pricing and digital rights management.

Fairplay needs an overhaul/expansion to cope with what consumers want from films and videos... streaming and rental. The model is not the same as music.

ejbenjamin
Oct 23, 2007, 10:17 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Movie studios have reportedly been reluctant to provide additional content due to disagreements in pricing and digital rights management.

Translation: Movie studios want to charge more for digital content than for physical media, while allowing customers to do less with it.

No thanks!

For the movie store to really work, the prices have to be better. And, like everyone else, I want HD (and I'd certainly pay a premium for that).

lazyrighteye
Oct 23, 2007, 10:26 AM
I actually think iTS is the perfect distribution model for indie films (music too).
Currently, it is near impossible to get your stuff made - let alone out to your audience. This option offers an easier distribution model (than the traditional method) that comes with an established user base.
In the end, the most important part of the creative process is getting your message out to the masses. And this looks to help the little guy/gal do so - which is good.

Now as far as subscription v. purchase, HD & surround... that's another story.

Small White Car
Oct 23, 2007, 10:40 AM
And allow the :apple:TV to handle HD and surround.

It can and it can. Just waiting for content!

LostPacket
Oct 23, 2007, 10:52 AM
I don't even know if it's available in Canada. That's how much I care about iTunes movies.

cuestakid
Oct 23, 2007, 11:01 AM
I would like to propose a test for the movie studios-if you are soo worried about someone being able to strip the DRM from these movies, prove that its possible because as far as I know, it is nearly impossible to do so and so far no one has been able to do it.

so if you can prove it can be done, then I will understand your argument but if you can't prove it can be done, then shut up and give us your movies!

chicagostars
Oct 23, 2007, 11:07 AM
I actually think iTS is the perfect distribution model for indie films (music too).
Currently, it is near impossible to get your stuff made - let alone out to your audience. This option offers an easier distribution model (than the traditional method) that comes with an established user base.
In the end, the most important part of the creative process is getting your message out to the masses. And this looks to help the little guy/gal do so - which is good.

Now as far as subscription v. purchase, HD & surround... that's another story.

I agree, this is a great way for indepedents to get out there and have their movies available to a larger audience. The major studios are absent unless they smell a definite financial incentive and doing the festival circuit, while important, can be a drain on filmmakers. Hopefully this can provide some revenue for the small filmmakers to strive in their trade.

Matters of technical quality (HD, Suuround, etc.) should hopefully become a non-issue in the near future as the advances we seek become the norm.

Anyone want to buy a VCR? :)

foidulus
Oct 23, 2007, 11:10 AM
"An Inconvenient Truth" on their store? I mean, I want to buy the film, but having to go burn fossil fuels to go get a disc made out of the byproducts of refining those fossil fuels seems a bit counterproductive. Esp. considering Al Gore is friggin' on Apples board!

RedTomato
Oct 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
I would like to propose a test for the movie studios-if you are soo worried about someone being able to strip the DRM from these movies, prove that its possible because as far as I know, it is nearly impossible to do so and so far no one has been able to do it.

so if you can prove it can be done, then I will understand your argument but if you can't prove it can be done, then shut up and give us your movies!

Er mate, I think you have the arguement the wrong way round there. As far as I know, it is nearly impossible to enforce DRM on movies / audio. There's plenty of theory behind that too.

Basically, if it can be seen or heard, then it can be copied. Every DRM system in the last 50 years has usually been broken within a few weeks of release. That's one of the key issues behind the current global debate over copyright and revenue models.

samuraikiss
Oct 23, 2007, 11:43 AM
I actually would really like to see this movie, although I don't suspect I'll want to *own* it. So hopefully houses that do this still release DVDs so that I can rent it! :p

I agree completely! Although if it's less expensive to purchase in the iTunes store, I might buy it instead of renting it. I'm such a discriminating movie connoisseur, I know.

mikeinternet
Oct 23, 2007, 11:53 AM
In late September, iTunes also distributed a free 13-minute short "Hotel Chevalier" as a promotional vehicle for the film "Darjeeling Limited".

Is this still available? I dug Darjeeling Limited. Wes Anderson rocks.
On another note, they should make it easier for independent film makers as well as musicians to add their stuff to itunes. And give them the option to give it away for free.

pagansoul
Oct 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
Is this still available? I dug Darjeeling Limited. Wes Anderson rocks.
On another note, they should make it easier for independent film makers as well as musicians to add their stuff to itunes. And give them the option to give it away for free.

Yes, Hotel Chevalier is still free. I just downloaded it for free off iTunes last night. Go to the Short Film section.

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 23, 2007, 12:09 PM
Probably unrelated but before I add any movies to iTunes, I need to separate the movie and audio folders. I can do without keeping my movies on my hard drive but I do want my music there.

And are these hi-def movies or dvd quality?

mikeinternet
Oct 23, 2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, Hotel Chevalier is still free. I just downloaded it for free off iTunes last night. Go to the Short Film section.

Thanks. I can't wait to check it out.

Jetson
Oct 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
I like the idea of more digital movies/videos being made available.

High def is the way to go, but an offering of different levels of definition would be great, in order to suit the connectivity or storage capacity of different customers.

When it come to the issue of DRM and copyright protection, I think that content holders are really far too greedy. For instance, I really chafe at having to sit through 2 minutes of obnoxious FBI/Interpol etc. warnings telling us that we will go to jail if we copy the program. On DVDs they even have the nerve to lock our DVD player so that we can't fast forward, skip or even stop the DVD! It's incredibly annoying to be treated like a potential criminal before watching each movie. Movie execs, GET OVER YOURSELVES! Stop wasting our time, disrespecting and insulting us. Most people watching a movie have ALREADY purchased it, and anyone interested in illegal copying are not going to be disuaded in the least by your stupid warnings. At least have the courtesy to put the warnings at the end of the program.

Sorry, I had to vent a bit about this aspect of the entertainment culture that should have fallen by the wayside LONG AGO.

mikeinternet
Oct 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
Probably unrelated but before I add any movies to iTunes, I need to separate the movie and audio folders. I can do without keeping my movies on my hard drive but I do want my music there.

I don't think you can. But I wish you could use more than one music folder. At least be able to allocate music to one place and video to another.

This particularly sucks for me, since my 500 gig drive is almost full and seeing as how itunes will only look in one spot i'll need to shell out for something bigger than that.

mikeinternet
Oct 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
Sorry, I had to vent a bit about this aspect of the entertainment culture that should have fallen by the wayside LONG AGO.

I completely agree. I think this entire mentality in fact promotes piracy.

S Paris
Oct 23, 2007, 12:26 PM
this is excellent news for indies but like so many other places, the focus appears to be on shorts: my company has a feature length film we've been trying to sell through the iTS for months without success.

dogtanian
Oct 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
this is excellent news for indies but like so many other places, the focus appears to be on shorts: my company has a feature length film we've been trying to sell through the iTS for months without success.

Providing your film is any good ;) :p I think thats really bad. Apple needs to be embracing as much new film as they can. Under 1000 films is really bad! Esp compared to the other new start ups that have so many more.

Although that figure is infinitely better than the UK. UK iTS films/movies = zero.

bob1
Oct 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
hi everyone,

daily lurker, thought my first post would be some "I ordered my...." spam but this here just upset me too much.

I love Wes Anderson flicks and cheered at the free iTunes offer only to find out it's US only and we europeeins can suck it. Thanks for letting me watch a crappy youtube rip instead apple.:mad:

This is even worse than regional dvd codes for film fans who live outside the US.

S Paris
Oct 23, 2007, 01:15 PM
Providing your film is any good ;) :p I think thats really bad.

Well, that really depends on what you like. But if you like Ealing-style comedies and poking fun at our pharmaceutical culture, I think you'd like it :-)
[/QUOTE] Although that figure is infinitely better than the UK. UK iTS films/movies = zero.[/QUOTE]

How well I know: I'm from the uk too.

benpatient
Oct 23, 2007, 01:43 PM
Did they just disable that 13 minute free thing? Because I just tried to download it and it says "this movie no longer for sale in the US" even though the price is Free.

I am now annoyed.

Still haven't purchased anything from the iTMS...If this is how they do things, I'm not sure why I would want to start...

ATimson
Oct 23, 2007, 01:45 PM
And are these hi-def movies or dvd quality?
The iTMS is better than typical NTSC broadcast, but not as good as DVD yet.

I'd love to go hog-wild in the iTMS, buying season after season of TV shows, but until they get the quality up, I can't justify it.

cuestakid
Oct 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
Er mate, I think you have the arguement the wrong way round there. As far as I know, it is nearly impossible to enforce DRM on movies / audio. There's plenty of theory behind that too.

Basically, if it can be seen or heard, then it can be copied. Every DRM system in the last 50 years has usually been broken within a few weeks of release. That's one of the key issues behind the current global debate over copyright and revenue models.

I know that the audio has been broken in the past but I have yet to hear of a working model for the video from ITUNES. Other makers may have had theirs broken but I am speaking specifically about iTunes. If you can provide me with proof of concept that itunes video has been broken, then I will say you are right but as of now, like I said before, I have yet to see anyone break the video DRM on iTunes

pagansoul
Oct 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
I don't think you can. But I wish you could use more than one music folder. At least be able to allocate music to one place and video to another.

This particularly sucks for me, since my 500 gig drive is almost full and seeing as how itunes will only look in one spot i'll need to shell out for something bigger than that.

I have a MacPro with 2TB on the 4 drives. I was able to point iTunes to drive 4 for its own 500GB. This can be done with an external HD so you don't use your internal space but you need to be hooked up to that HD if you want to hear your music and no, you can not split iTunes. I find that putting my Movies and TV shows on it's own drive, another 500GB, is the way to go. It's like keeping them in storage untill I feel the need to put on my iphone/pod for viewing. Import and delete.

pagansoul
Oct 23, 2007, 02:09 PM
Did they just disable that 13 minute free thing? Because I just tried to download it and it says "this movie no longer for sale in the US" even though the price is Free.

I am now annoyed.

Still haven't purchased anything from the iTMS...If this is how they do things, I'm not sure why I would want to start...

Maybe too many people trying to download crashed the thing. Last night I had no problem with downloading 3 free short films. Maybe they decided to make some money on them and are in the process of changing them to $1.99 like the others.

nbs2
Oct 23, 2007, 02:41 PM

I guess you got lucky - it isn't available anymore. I got the old "item is no longer available" error.

dogtanian
Oct 23, 2007, 03:05 PM
Well, that really depends on what you like. But if you like Ealing-style comedies and poking fun at our pharmaceutical culture, I think you'd like it :-)
Although that figure is infinitely better than the UK. UK iTS films/movies = zero.[/QUOTE]

How well I know: I'm from the uk too.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I assumed you were french for some reason...wonder where I got that from? :p

Sounds interesting. My advice is keep pestering Apple, they HAVE to listen to you then. Best of luck though, indie cinema rocks.

quandmeme
Oct 23, 2007, 04:57 PM
What a fantastic move -- hopefully iTunes will really become a full-service online media hub for new and established talent!

Dumping more content on does not equal becoming a full-service online media hub IMO so I am cheering with you. Take songs for instance, there are too many songs on iTunes for me to find something I like! Apple needs more access points like internet radio channels featuring links to iTunes and partnerships like the Starbucks. (I'm Mormon so I don't spend a lot of time in Starbucks I just think its a really great way to get exposed to music I'd want to try.) Movies are a different animal of course but Apple needs a great way to get at the content that is already there. (Why are trailer arranged that way? I go to movies.yahoo and link back to quicktime trailers instead of going through the Apple site.)

mikeinternet
Oct 23, 2007, 10:44 PM
http://www.hoorayhoorah.com/wes.png

mdntcallr
Oct 24, 2007, 09:48 AM
it's true.

if anyone is interested in digitally distributing movies into iTunes or other outlets like xbox or amazon.

try Mediastile.net

Mediastile distributes the Sundance content, The Tribe, Runners high and many more.