PDA

View Full Version : How to stop SummerBoard crashing!

PowerFullMac
Oct 24, 2007, 09:29 AM
This has been tested and is a very easy method of stopping the random SummerBoard-caused crashes on your iPod, no updates or even connecting to the computer! All you have to do is:

Turn off the "Dim Wallpaper" option!

I have version 3.0a9 and since I done this a few days ago i've had zero crashes on my iTouch! Try it, post your results.

Your friendly neighborhood PowerFullMac :D

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 09:36 AM
hmmm, sounds interesting. I had so many crashes that I just uninstalled the thing and use a hacked version of springboard (ie no trip1pogo or sb).

I noticed that SB did a bad job of handling internet intensive applications. Do this if you have a sec. Open apollo, safari, colloquy, and stocks or something in succession and tell me if its still stable then.

also, login via ssh and tell me what processes you have running. I have a hard time believe that summerboard is stable at all, but I would def like to know and your post has me interested again.

I also think that the background(black) is a transparency setting somewhere since the dimmed background is actually just a less transparent black overlay. Also, when you unistalle summerboard, your background will still show through because the unistall sb provides doesnt work so the transparency settings stay the same.

Thanks,
Arisian

adamsweeting
Oct 24, 2007, 09:36 AM
This has been tested and is a very easy mwthod of stopping the random SummerBoard caused crashed on your iPod, no updates or even connecting to the computer! All you have to do is:

Turn off the "Dim Wallpaper" option!

I have version 30a9 and since I done this a few days ago i've had zero crashed on my iTouch! Try it, post your results.

Your friendly neighborhood PowerFullMac :D

I can vouch for this too.
Since turning off "dim wallpaper" I also have had zero crashes - and I use my iPod A LOT.

adamsweeting
Oct 24, 2007, 09:38 AM
Arisian: I have hammered my iPod for the last day and a half to stress test it, and I have had zero crashes.

Seems to have worked a treat.

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 09:39 AM
grrr... Im still skeptical but you have def. peaked my interest!!

I guess I can just do it since I have my rdisk0s1 backup as of yesterday and all my music is backup as well...

All i need is one more person to confirm this!!
also, i would be interested if the OP has time to test the things that I mentioned in my previous comment (not that I dont believe you guys)

Arisian

PowerFullMac
Oct 24, 2007, 09:41 AM
Yesterday my mate messed about with my Touch and he open literally every app I have on there and there were no crashes at all (he was doing it for like the whole day). Plus watch as the evidence rolls in, as everyone else agrees with me :D

adamsweeting
Oct 24, 2007, 09:44 AM
hmmm, sounds interesting. I had so many crashes that I just uninstalled the thing and use a hacked version of springboard (ie no trip1pogo or sb).

I noticed that SB did a bad job of handling internet intensive applications. Do this if you have a sec. Open apollo, safari, colloquy, and stocks or something in succession and tell me if its still stable then.

also, login via ssh and tell me what processes you have running. I have a hard time believe that summerboard is stable at all, but I would def like to know and your post has me interested again.

I also think that the background(black) is a transparency setting somewhere since the dimmed background is actually just a less transparent black overlay. Also, when you unistalle summerboard, your background will still show through because the unistall sb provides doesnt work so the transparency settings stay the same.

Thanks,
Arisian

Just did what you asked.... iPod is still rock solid. All the apps are running (I used Term-vt100 and did a top command) No crash.

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 09:49 AM
sorry if i sound like i disagree. Thats not my intention. Thanks for starting this thread. I will be interested to see how it plays out. Also, did you install sb from installer.app. I manually installed sb both times I used it.

Thanks

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 09:51 AM
sorry to do this again. Any problemswith music playback?

Or video?
sorry for all yhe questions i just dont wamt o jve to rrsync my music again

Thanksgir ur help guys

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 09:53 AM
lol on touch sorry for typos

PowerFullMac
Oct 24, 2007, 09:54 AM
sorry if i sound like i disagree. Thats not my intention. Thanks for starting this thread. I will be interested to see how it plays out. Also, did you install sb from installer.app. I manually installed sb both times I used it.

Thanks

It got installed with my jailbreak (I used touchFree).

PowerFullMac
Oct 24, 2007, 09:55 AM
sorry to do this again. Any problemswith music playback?

Or video?
sorry for all yhe questions i just dont wamt o jve to rrsync my music again

Thanksgir ur help guys

Turn auto correct on man! :D
And music and video playback is fine over here.

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 10:14 AM
Turn auto correct on man! :D
And music and video playback is fine over here.

auto correct sucks... turns things into things that I didnt want to write...
haha, and it was on :D

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 10:56 AM
anyone else?

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 12:00 PM
I just installed it, no crashes so far. Thanks guys...

Also, my version of springboard is playing real nice w. the summerboard update w/o dimming on

Arisian

dagored
Oct 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
I just installed it, no crashes so far. Thanks guys...

Also, my version of springboard is playing real nice w. the summerboard update w/o dimming on

Arisian

My turn. Did you install from installer without any tweaks? I have yet to install summerboard. One day at a time.

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 01:33 PM
yeah, no crashes. I was skeptical and i uninstalled it and tried to write a way to change the background myself.... seems like sumemrboard is working w/o crashes if you turn everything off except for backgrounds (no dim

solyd
Oct 25, 2007, 12:00 AM
Yep. Turned "Dim" off, and it's working without any crashes.