PDA

View Full Version : floppy problems

fjs08
Sep 5, 2003, 08:45 PM
I need a floppy for one program. I use VPC with Windows 2000. The floppy is a Smart Disk brand that I purchased at a Mac only (non-Apple owned) store. They had a bunch of these, and it is the only one they sell. To get it to work I literally have to plug in the usb connection at the time I want to use it. Then insert the disk. If I have it plugged in, then insert the disk, it doesn't seem to be seen by VPC w W2k?? Is this how it is supposed to work.

In native OSX, I have to do the same??

Any thoughts??

Frank

PowerBook User
Sep 5, 2003, 10:14 PM
Have you been able to use the floppy drive in OS X? I didn't even know OS X would let you use floppys.

TEG
Sep 5, 2003, 10:20 PM
If you can see it in OSX, but not VPC, two things may be wrong. A setting exists in VPC to share USB devices, you may have to set PC to share the Disk Drive. Also, you should be able to "capture" the disk by ctrl+clicking (right clicking) on the Floppy Icon located in the lower left of the VPC OS window.

Other than that, I'd say make sure there are some sort of Drivers loaded into W2K, just in case.

TEG

fjs08
Sep 6, 2003, 07:26 AM
>>Have you been able to use the floppy drive in OS X? I didn't even know OS X would let you use floppys.<<

I haven't tried any native OSX files on the floppy. I have it really only for VPC w Win 2k and my office payroll/checkbook program which is Windows based.

As for seeing it, it popped up in native OSX, but then disappeared until I unplugged, then replugged in the floppy usb pin. I have been able to see the disk on the desktop under OSX, and I've been able to capture the image on Win 2k w VPC. It's just that if I leave it plugged to the usb port, when I exchange disks, it then doesn't see the disk unless I repeatedly unplug then replug the usb pin.

Frank

Fender2112
Sep 6, 2003, 08:34 AM
This may seem obvious, but keep in mind that with Windows, a mounted disk does not have an icon on the desktop as do Mac disks. You have to go to "My Computer" and select the drive.

I know this sounds obvisous but I can not tell you how times I have stared at my Windows desktop waiting for the disk icon to appear after inserting a floppy or CD.

Otherwise, as menttioned, it is a driver issue or a matter setting up the drive to be shared by both Windows and OS X.

If you have a .Mac account use your iDisk to transfer files. This eliminates the need for a floppy. As another optition you can upload the file to your ISP web space and then download it when you get home. And option 3: email the file to yourself. If it's more that one file you will have to stuff and unstuff the folder.

fjs08
Sep 6, 2003, 09:49 AM
This may seem obvious,--- You have to go to "My Computer" and select the drive. <<

Sometimes the obvious escapes us. I'll definitely check.

>> If you have a .Mac account use your iDisk to transfer files.<<

I do and that will be a good idea for the data I need to transfer. My account gave me a license transfer disk which was bad. I tried to talk them into the iDisk transfer, but being windoz folk, they just looked at me with this silly expression and handed me the disk. I got another one this am. My accountant offices nextdoor to me. I caught him cleaning his office and he made me another disk.
Thanks.
Frank

bennetsaysargh
Sep 6, 2003, 11:43 AM
OS X can use floppies!
the school that i attend just switched to OS X with the new emacs, and they have a floppy mounted on the main computer in the lab. it is of course external, bu they do work.

fjs08
Sep 6, 2003, 12:00 PM
>>have a floppy mounted on the main computer in the lab. it is of course external,<<

I'm still having problems. I can't even get the floppy to be seen. I came home from work today, popped in the floppy and it was seen under OSX, but nothing today under VPC. It says it is there. I have to wonder if I have a bad drive??? There is software. I'll try installing that under VPC w W2k.

btw, I was able to get my checkbook loaded in. I wrote all the files to cd's and transferred them that way.

Frank

Horrortaxi
Sep 6, 2003, 03:10 PM
Just a thought here. If you absolutely can't get VPC to see the floppy drive (but I do agree with whoever said to make sure you have USB enabled and the floppy captured in VPC--seems the logical solution) but OS X will see it, then in OS X make an image of the disk using Disk Copy. VPC will see images and use them as if they were floppy or CD. You still have to tell VPC to capture the image but it rules out USB issues.

Hmm...another thing I just remembered about VPC that can be annoying is that drives don't always get assigned the letter you'd expect them to. On a real PC the optical drive is always D, but in VPC my Super Drive is *usually* E, though sometimes it is D. It just depends on if I have images available on my desktop. Anyway, what I'm saying is that VPC might not assign your floppy to A: like you'd expect. Put the disk in, and then go to the command prompt/DOS and look for all the drives until you find the one you're looking for. Start with a:, b:, c:. d:, etc until you find a valid disk, then do dir to see if the drive contents match up with what should be on your floppy. Might work.

LimeiBook86
Sep 7, 2003, 01:49 AM
My internal floppy drive in my MiniTower does nto get along with Mac OS X :(

Anyways, you can "capture" disk images in virtual PC, you can also setup local file sharing (share files between PC and Mac) Just Install Virtual PC addictions. Virtual PC can capture CD and Floppy disk images, I don't know exactly how this works though...can it read your own Disc Copy .IMG/.DMG/.SMI files? Look in the manual somewhere...what version of Virtual PC??

-limey

fjs08
Sep 7, 2003, 06:50 AM
>>what version of Virtual PC??<,

VPC 6.1. I'm starting to get the hang of this VPC stuff. I installed the VPC Additions. I want to set up the "mount drive image" so that I may be able to see my files from OSX (?I think) and save important files that way. I did use the "shared Folders" option yesterday. Set up my Secure Digital (SD) disk so that I can back up my checkbook files into that. Pretty easy and neat. I just have to find out if I can "shrink" my allocation of hard drive that is given to VPC. It is set as 15 gig which is way to huge for what I would use it for.
Thanks.
Frank

bennetsaysargh
Sep 7, 2003, 08:04 AM
do they have drag and drop from desktop to VPC as a feature?
if not, i think that would make a great feature.

fjs08
Sep 7, 2003, 09:20 AM
>>do they have drag and drop from desktop to VPC as a feature? <<

I don't think so, but I've only had it up for a day. Finding lots of things. Actually going to B&N in an hour to see if there is a VPC for dummies<g>book. I need it<g>

Frank

LimeiBook86
Sep 7, 2003, 11:45 AM
I have used the feature before in Viortual PC 6.0, I think you have to install Virtual PC addictions. Check out the Virtual PC webpage for more info.

-limey