PDA

View Full Version : Apple Leopard Teaser: All Leopard, All Night

MacRumors
Oct 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As noted by AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/24/intel_chief_a_mac_user_leopard_retail_teaser_iphone_in_canada.html), Apple sent out a teaser email to mailing list members announcing the Leopard launch event at Apple Stores:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/10/24/teaser_300.jpg

Apple promises Live Demos, free T-shirts, and a chance to be among the first to test-drive the most impressive Mac OS X version yet.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/24/apple-leopard-teaser-all-night-all-long/)

Eidorian
Oct 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
I must be there...

I hope we can manage to get my MUG to go.

Blue Velvet
Oct 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
Since when was 6pm to 10pm all night? Lightweights. ;)

Tclare
Oct 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
I'm there! :p

crossifixio
Oct 24, 2007, 10:43 AM
Regent Street here I come :D :D

Multimedia
Oct 24, 2007, 10:45 AM
What's that astric next to the FREE T-Shirts for? With purchase? I'll have my $69 copy of Leopard with me that I will have bought at a college bookstore nearby on the way to the queue on University Avenue. :)

overanalyzer
Oct 24, 2007, 10:45 AM
I feel torn...go to the Apple store to experience the excitement, or stay home and have my own party with my pre-ordered family pack of Leopard? Probably laziness and excitement to actually install and use it myself will win out over long lines and craziness.

antdgar
Oct 24, 2007, 10:48 AM
Regent Street here I come :D :D

see u there.

chrisgeleven
Oct 24, 2007, 10:48 AM
I thought about going to the Salem, NH store but since I would be coming from my work in Concord and my home is in Manchester (almost directly in between), it makes no sense to do that. Especially with how traffic is on a Friday night on I-93 between Manchester and Salem.

Instead, my copy of Leopard should be waiting for me at home courtesy of FedEx and I can start doing the install.

macthetiger85
Oct 24, 2007, 10:49 AM
Too bad the Baton Rouge store doesn't open until Spring - I envy you who are near a store - O well - at least Fed Ex won't let me down!

jbcandkc
What's that astric next to the FREE T-Shirts for? With purchase?

*Available to the first 500 guests per store.

earnjam
I think it's funny that they say among the first to "test-drive" the most impressive Mac OS X version yet.

As if we're nothing but beta testers. Why not say "drive".

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2007, 10:52 AM
What's that astric next to the FREE T-Shirts for? With purchase?

It means that limited quantities are available.

Lesser Evets
Oct 24, 2007, 10:52 AM
Though i am not into any of this type stuff, because it is truly a waste of life, I find it amusing from the stand point of looking outside at aggravated PC users. This sort of cult gathering for a tech release just roils the plain boxers who have no such communal pomp when their brown Zunes plop out onto shelves, or the embarrassing OS releases are shoved under the development door to a world of fearful laymen.

haha They are old. Leave'm 'lone.

Father Jack
Oct 24, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'm there! :p
Aren't you a tad early .... ;)

Egomaniac
Oct 24, 2007, 10:55 AM
I think it's funny that they say among the first to "test-drive" the most impressive Mac OS X version yet.

They're referring to being able to play with it on Apple Store computers, which is indeed "test driving" it. You won't be "driving" it until you've taken it home and installed it.

Stuipdboy1000
*Available to the first 500 guests per store.

If the store doesn't give all the t-shirts away, what do they do with them? I'm thinking of going too a Apple store on Saturday. Will I get one then?

ibwb
What, no prizes? Last time they had prizes. Time to turn on the outrage and use the frown face: :mad:

:mad:

celebi23
Oct 24, 2007, 10:57 AM
Sweet. Leaving for West Farms store right after my class on Friday

Small White Car
Oct 24, 2007, 10:57 AM

Because when you use something before you buy it, that's a "test drive."

Obviously, the first people to use it will be the ones playing on the Macs in the stores. They're test-driving before they buy.

The people who buy it, go home, open it, upgrade their computer, and then use it are "driving." But I'd hardly call them the first since that's going to take a few hours.

EDIT: Credit to Egomaniac, who apparently beat me to posting.

samh004
Oct 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'd rather buy than test drive :p

Too late in fact, I've already bought and am just waiting for a delivery.

DeaconGraves
Oct 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
Kind of wish I still lived in Dallas where I was walking distance to the Apple Store. But here it's a good 20 minute drive (and probably more on a Friday during rush hour). :(

Oh well. Guess I'll just be at home, tinkering with Leopard and hoping that I don't erase my Tiger Backup too quickly. :p

kingtj
Oct 24, 2007, 11:00 AM
Are you sure about that? The university my girlfriend attends said "We probably won't have OS X Leopard in stock on launch day... but it'll arrive here a few days later."

That's why I broke down and pre-ordered one online with the paltry $16 student discount. I really didn't want to be without it all weekend long while everyone else is installing it and playing with it while they're off work.

What's that astric next to the FREE T-Shirts for? With purchase? I'll have my $69 copy of Leopard with me that I will have bought at a college bookstore nearby on the way to the queue on University Avenue. :)

happydude
Oct 24, 2007, 11:00 AM
mall of america - i'll be there!! though, i am torn. leave work and go straight home to play with my pre-ordered family pack, or join the excitement at the store. free t-shirt . . . but i wear a medium, and i'm sure they'll all be XL as they have been in the past. what to do, what to do . . .:apple::apple::D:apple::apple:

CBJammin103
Oct 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
Too bad the Baton Rouge store doesn't open until Spring - I envy you who are near a store - O well - at least Fed Ex won't let me down!

Wait, I go to LSU... there's an Apple Store opening in Baton Rouge?! :eek:

That might make my day! Lol. It's been way to long that Louisiana's been without an Apple Store.

alljunks
Oct 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
must be there!!!

fastbite
Oct 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
At the risk of sounding stupid, anybody knows if that applies to the 2 london stores too? Regent Street and Brent Cross?

farmboy
Oct 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
It's not going to be absolutely perfect. It never is. So if you're prone to whining and complaining (and you know who you are) please wait for 10.5.1.:o

In any event, do the Archive and Install.

Thank you, and have a nice Leopard Day.

SciTeach
Oct 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
While I may be in the minority here, I for one, will not be going mainly because I want to hear the reports on the the released version. I'm sure it will run fairly smoothly and will probably be incredibly awesome with the 300+ new features, but I can wait. Someone else can have the free T-shirt.

That, and the fact, I would get an new iMac 24" when this came out and I need a few more weeks of saving before I can go get one.:(

Orng
Oct 24, 2007, 11:10 AM

Well, Apple turned 30 last year, and after 30, "All Night" means "Until Dawn" only when used in the past tense. In the future tense it refers to "until about 11, or 10 if we're tired" :D

If by some crazy fluke, Steve chops $200 off the cost of the iMac or introduces a $900 minitower with a dedicated graphics card on friday, I'll be getting myself a birthday present a day early. If not, I'll get mine in a few weeks, I have rent to pay. Have fun, whoever's going!

zombitronic
Oct 24, 2007, 11:16 AM
Though i am not into any of this type stuff, because it is truly a waste of life

No way, man. These are the type of events that create memories; that give you the sense of community and connection, and let you feel like part of something that's bigger than yourself. It's not so much about the product as it is about the people.

Like Woodstock, without the smell.

Mac-Addict
Oct 24, 2007, 11:17 AM
I got that email xD Each store only has 500 shirts which sucks..

Farani
Oct 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
Are you sure about that? The university my girlfriend attends said "We probably won't have OS X Leopard in stock on launch day... but it'll arrive here a few days later."

That's why I broke down and pre-ordered one online with the paltry $16 student discount. I really didn't want to be without it all weekend long while everyone else is installing it and playing with it while they're off work.

Haha I have a similar problem. Up-To-Date says ships by Oct 26th so I'm worried I won't have it until Monday, but I can't see spending an extra $110 just to get it a few days earlier. Just have to suck it up...

kainjow
Oct 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
No way, man. These are the type of events that create memories; that give you the sense of community and connection, and let you feel like part of something that's bigger than yourself. It's not so much about the product as it is about the people.

But the core theme of the event is: sell Leopard, and create free marketing. AKA increase profit. Apple (or any other corporation) doesn't do things for the community. They do things to increase profit. Plain and simple :)

justflie
Oct 24, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'm gonna try to be at the Providence, RI store right after dinner. Well, that's the plan anyway :)

OS X Dude
Oct 24, 2007, 11:25 AM

I do! I can't sleep if I'm not in bed by 9pm! I'll push the boat for this tho lol. This happenin in blighty?

macthetiger85
Oct 24, 2007, 11:31 AM

That might make my day! Lol. It's been way to long that Louisiana's been without an Apple Store.

The Boulevard constructions (behind Mall of Louisiana) opening Spring 2008

(geaux tigers:apple:)

Eraserhead
Oct 24, 2007, 11:34 AM

Exactly :D. I was feeling sick yesterday, and I'm going out until 10pm tonight to a birthday dinner :eek:.

(Though I won't be drinking)

mwgum
Oct 24, 2007, 11:35 AM

My college bookstore claims that they will have it in stock on launch day. I do not believe them, but that is what they are telling students.

rosh325
Oct 24, 2007, 11:38 AM
So if you end up at an apple store but are not buying leopard (I need a video adapter for my MBP), do you still get a shirt, or is it just if you buy leopard?

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 24, 2007, 11:43 AM
A thread for front page article with no arguments. :eek:

Evangelion
Oct 24, 2007, 11:45 AM
Sounds like fun! Too bad closest Apple Store is about 1800 kilometer from where I live...

zombitronic
Oct 24, 2007, 11:47 AM
But the core theme of the event is: sell Leopard, and create free marketing. AKA increase profit. Apple (or any other corporation) doesn't do things for the community. They do things to increase profit. Plain and simple :)

No doubt. The product is there for profit. But the people go there for a more personal reason, whether they're just such an Apple fan that they need the OS the night it's available, or they want the shirt to say "I was there," or they just want an excuse to be around a brand they admire. All of these are situations which put you in with like-minded people.

And I'd like to think that Jobs, himself, is at least a LITTLE about the community, and not all about cash.

queshy
Oct 24, 2007, 11:49 AM
Well, Apple turned 30 last year, and after 30, "All Night" means "Until Dawn" only when used in the past tense. In the future tense it refers to "until about 11, or 10 if we're tired" :D

If by some crazy fluke, Steve chops $200 off the cost of the iMac or introduces a $900 minitower with a dedicated graphics card on friday, I'll be getting myself a birthday present a day early. If not, I'll get mine in a few weeks, I have rent to pay. Have fun, whoever's going!

A mini tower? Jobs himself said it's an "all-in-one world". Besides the mini there's won't ever likely be a "separate" CPU.

bdj21ya
Oct 24, 2007, 11:52 AM
It's exciting. I'm planning on going with my halloween costume on--I'm dressing up as the Finder this year--and maybe a leopard print headband or something. Of course, then my wife will probably want to go out to dinner after, so the costume idea will have to be axed.

dunc85
Oct 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
It's exciting. I'm planning on going with my halloween costume on--I'm dressing up as the Finder this year--and maybe a leopard print headband or something. Of course, then my wife will probably want to go out to dinner after, so the costume idea will have to be axed.

Go to dinner in your costume, you know you want to.

Plus, I demand pics of you dressed up as the Finder.

jakk2809
Oct 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
what time should i get to the store? (chicago) The lady at the apple store said people would start lining up in the morning. I just want to be the first 500 to get a shirt.

also, if i start lining up at about 12 noon, will they let the people in the store in the order of the line at 6pm? or will they just open the doors and people can just walk in without getting in line?

Arisian
Oct 24, 2007, 12:03 PM
someone want to give me a new macbook to replace my powerbook G4 so I can be excited about leopard? :D

jk unless you want to.

MattJessop
Oct 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
what time should i get to the store? (chicago) The lady at the apple store said people would start lining up in the morning. I just want to be the first 500 to get a shirt.

also, if i start lining up at about 12 noon, will they let the people in the store in the order of the line at 6pm? or will they just open the doors and people can just walk in without getting in line?

As far as I know, they should let the people in in the order that they lined up in. It would be VERY stupid of them not to, considering those people have been lining up for hours there :)

But what do I know? They might do it just to be spiteful. ;-)

niclet
Oct 24, 2007, 12:06 PM
Can you tell me for what stand the "*" after "Live demos, free T-shirts,"?

Also, does someone know if Canadian's Apple Store will have the "All Leopard. All night" event either?

OS X Dude
Oct 24, 2007, 12:07 PM

redlightrunner.com sell Apple promo stuff (old shirts/posters n stickers, pens etc) and I daresay they'll be on there soon enough. My "Quick, cash these shirts in on eBay for cash" is tingling. Not 4 u lol bt people who don't deserve free stuff.

Roy Hobbs
Oct 24, 2007, 12:10 PM

The lines wont be that long, for the Tiger release there was at most 100 people in line before the store opened. Most non-fanboy Apple users have no clue about the release and wont be waiting in line

Mac OS X Ocelot
Oct 24, 2007, 12:17 PM
I heard Tiger was released in stores at six pm too, but when I pre-ordered mine it came in the mail around noon... so anyone still thinking about pre-ordering, do it and you can have it installed and have time to play with it before you show up at the Apple Retail Store to party "all night."

jakk2809
Oct 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
Does apple usually give out XXL shirts at OS launch parties?

Darkroom
Oct 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
i must agree with a friend's email from early this morning when she said:

"I'm sorry. "All Leopard, all night?" That's lame."

shamino
Oct 24, 2007, 12:38 PM
For those who didn't get the e-mail, Apple has also posted the invite to their "Hot News" RSS feed. It links to this page (http://www.apple.com/retail/).
If the store doesn't give all the t-shirts away, what do they do with them? I'm thinking of going too a Apple store on Saturday. Will I get one then?
What makes you think there will be extras? 500 people over the course of a 4-hour rollout event seems pretty likely to me.
I don't plan on buying it that night. I'll wait for some reviews to come in and, depending on what I see, I may wait for the first service pack. I also need to find out if FileMaker 6 works (FM says they have only tested version 9, which needs to be fixed for Leopard compatibility.)
A mini tower? Jobs himself said it's an "all-in-one world". Besides the mini there's won't ever likely be a "separate" CPU.
It would be nice if the mini would get a convenient door/panel for upgrading memory, like the one on the bottom-edge of the iMac. But I'm not counting on it either.

All things considered, however, the mini is a really nice Mac. It may be the slowest model, but it's still pretty darn fast. (Especially compared to the two G4 systems I'm using now ;) )

lodenmuse
Oct 24, 2007, 12:41 PM

I just chuckled thinking,

"So what are you supposed to be?" "I'm the Finder."

:rolleyes:

tgildred
Oct 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
i must agree with a friend's email from early this morning when she said:

"I'm sorry. "All Leopard, all night?" That's lame."

Maybe if it was Def Leppard.

Just kidding. That would be a different kind of crowd.

HLdan
Oct 24, 2007, 12:44 PM

Yeah, Jobs is right. Sony has followed that same path. They no longer sell desktop towers. Sony only sells the AIO desktop. They are following the majority. Most people buy computers and sit them on their desk and never upgrade a thing until it's time to buy the next computer. The mini is here for price and the Mac Pro is here for people who have to have a tower. The iMac is the power and portability model.

benpatient
Oct 24, 2007, 12:54 PM
And yet the most popular change in PC design in the last 5 years is the "Shuttle" form factor...

People like having a separate monitor...especially people with iMac experience...the first time you have an iMac screen go "fuzzy" on you is the last time you think it is a good idea to strap a hot display directly to a heat-phobic hard drive, graphics card, processor and motherboard.

The gap between the mini and the mac pro (physically) is comical.

Apple is basically selling a Chevy Aveo (mini), a Corvette Z-06(macpro), and a Trailblazer (imac).

Most people need an impala or malibu-sized vehicle...

JeffTL
Oct 24, 2007, 12:58 PM
Though i am not into any of this type stuff, because it is truly a waste of life, I find it amusing from the stand point of looking outside at aggravated PC users. This sort of cult gathering for a tech release just roils the plain boxers who have no such communal pomp when their brown Zunes plop out onto shelves, or the embarrassing OS releases are shoved under the development door to a world of fearful laymen.

haha They are old. Leave'm 'lone.

For what it's worth, I stood in line for Windows 98. 95 was that bad, and I had a voucher from Best Buy after some hardware upgrades.

juxtaposer
Oct 24, 2007, 01:04 PM
I'm there! Oh what an embarrassment I truly must be to my family. Oh well, Leopard here we come! :D

uNext
Oct 24, 2007, 01:09 PM
Leopard is just another vista but done the mac way.

Yawn

Where are the macpros update?

Thats sometrhing worthwhile

HLdan
Oct 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
And yet the most popular change in PC design in the last 5 years is the "Shuttle" form factor...

People like having a separate monitor.

No most people don't "need" that or they wouldn't settle for the iMac. They can go to PC land. The general consensus is that most people don't upgrade their computer pass the ram.

DaBrain
Oct 24, 2007, 01:49 PM
someone want to give me a new macbook to replace my powerbook G4 so I can be excited about leopard? :D

jk unless you want to.

OH Right away! What's your address? :D

Lesser Evets
Oct 24, 2007, 01:51 PM

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, man, that was funny.

I went to one of these around 2000 or 2001 in the Glendale, CA store. It was a lot of trash bag zombies in t-shirts and jeans watching totally average video in the back of the store, hoping for a key to the future. Was nothing you couldn't find out elsewhere in 1/3rd the time.

But, it is a sense of community. I guess. Gives people something to live for if they have nothing else in their lives. Or if they are converting over and deathly scared and confused.

Kwill
Oct 24, 2007, 02:02 PM
I have a couple of X dog tags from the Panther grand opening. At the time, store-wide 10% discounts were offered so I bought a 12" PowerBook.

Go :apple:

bdj21ya
Oct 24, 2007, 02:09 PM
I just chuckled thinking,

"So what are you supposed to be?" "I'm the Finder."

:rolleyes:

Haha. Yeah, I'm figuring most people will think I'm in the Blue Man Group.

bdj21ya
Oct 24, 2007, 02:11 PM
Go to dinner in your costume, you know you want to.

Plus, I demand pics of you dressed up as the Finder.

It's TRUE! :D

Maybe we'll go some place a bit less classy than usual and I can get away with it.

EDIT: just 7 more posts!!!

Kwill
Oct 24, 2007, 02:12 PM
Leopard is just another vista but done the mac way.

Yawn

Where are the macpros update?

Thats sometrhing worthwhile

:rolleyes: Look for new MacPros loaded with Leopard 10.5.1 to be announced at Macworld in January to buoy post-x-mas spending.

scu
Oct 24, 2007, 02:30 PM
I will be there for the free shirt.:)

I think everyone in line should bring their iPHones.:D

byeehaaw
Oct 24, 2007, 03:31 PM
are the tshirts only given to those who purchase or those who are the first 500 to get in the store?

Shanesan
Oct 24, 2007, 04:09 PM
School computer store, don't let me down!

farmboy
Oct 24, 2007, 04:23 PM

And you know this how? Apple does have a marketing research staff, you know.

chubad
Oct 24, 2007, 04:53 PM
are the tshirts only given to those who purchase or those who are the first 500 to get in the store?

Learn to read people! :rolleyes:

The first 500 people in the store get a free T-shirt.

offwidafairies
Oct 24, 2007, 04:53 PM
Man I totally forgot I'm singing in a concert tomorrow night from 5.30pm til 9.30. :( I'm so sad right now.

George Bailey
Oct 24, 2007, 04:55 PM
mall of america - i'll be there!! though, i am torn. leave work and go straight home to play with my pre-ordered family pack, or join the excitement at the store. free t-shirt . . . but i wear a medium, and i'm sure they'll all be XL as they have been in the past. what to do, what to do . . .:apple::apple::D:apple::apple:

Stop by the Cinnabun counter on your way over there and wolf down a couple dozen. That XL will fit you like a glove. ;)

gothiquegirrl
Oct 24, 2007, 06:13 PM

Hell yeah.. I can't wait for the new Apple Store. Whoo Hoo!

twoodcc
Oct 24, 2007, 06:19 PM
yep i got that email :)

i'll be there to get my tshirt :) and leopard of course :p

MacIllini
Oct 24, 2007, 06:42 PM
any previews of the free t-shirts?
:p

PCMacUser
Oct 24, 2007, 06:48 PM
Ahh I only have to wait until tomorrow to get my copy of Leopard. :)

Aranince
Oct 24, 2007, 08:07 PM
Would it be worth going on Friday just to play around with the showroom macs and play with Leopard...or will the stores be jam packed and it'd be hard to get on one of the computers?

Ibjr
Oct 24, 2007, 08:09 PM

You can always visit the one in Atlanta after Florida steals the SEC title from you.

jstad
Oct 24, 2007, 09:27 PM
Funny that this is the first email I have received from Apple that I did not consider :spam: :p

mgguy
Oct 25, 2007, 02:23 AM
Will this be lame? What kind of people go to these events? Are they mostly aging Mac fans, of which I am one? I can't imagine many young people spending Friday night at the Apple store. I attended a Mac User Group meeting a while ago and of the 100 or so people there, only 1 or two looked younger than 50. Sadly, I must admit that I am drawn to this event, and might even go if I didn't have to stand in line (I couldn't stand that).

shamino
Oct 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
They're popular among hobbyists. Mostly because it's really easy to carry them to LAN parties. But that's hardly a world-wide trend. It's worth noting that none of the major PC makers (Dell, HP, etc.) are selling these "lunchbox" size systems. If there was all that customer demand, don't you think the major vendors would be offering products?
People like having a separate monitor...especially people with iMac experience...the first time you have an iMac screen go "fuzzy" on you is the last time you think it is a good idea to strap a hot display directly to a heat-phobic hard drive, graphics card, processor and motherboard.
... I assume you are aware that iMacs haven't had CRT monitors for a very long time. LCD panels don't go fuzzy and they don't generate a lot of heat - especially compared to the heat coming off of the processor, core-logic chipset and video chip.
... and yet most people buy small cars. Ever wonder why?

Maybe it's because you are not typical of "most people".
Will this be lame? What kind of people go to these events? Are they mostly aging Mac fans, of which I am one? I can't imagine many young people spending Friday night at the Apple store.
I doubt many people will be hanging out for the full four hours. They'll show up, get a T-shirt, view a demo or two, maybe buy something, and then go home.

Just like sales events at other stores.

jolaca
Oct 26, 2007, 10:52 PM
I will never order online again for delivery of an apple product. After ordering Leopard over a month ago, they did not follow thru on delivering the product on Oct. 26th. Both companies blamed the other, apple.fedex. Fedex did say that apple held up the deliveries til later in the day. SHAME ON APPLE AND SHAME ON FEDEX. We deserve better..btw, I am one of thousands who did not received Leopard from our online orders. And fedex did confirm that our orders were in town, but just not delivered at apple's request that they slow down the times....outrage...didn't they learn anything from the iphone price chaos?:mad: