PDA

View Full Version : UK iPhone buyers: Where will you be?

Frozentoast
Oct 24, 2007, 04:17 PM
If you are planning to visit your local Apple store on the 9th let us know where you will be. I myself live in Manchester so have the luxury of either the Trafford or Arndale Centre - there is free parking at the Trafford so I will most likely be there.

What say you?

Steve Jobs=God
Oct 24, 2007, 04:33 PM
There's a new Authorised reseller opening in my town just before the launch, and i've just got a job there, so i'll be at work :mad:

But on the plus side, i get to show off my iPhone to people AND get paid for it! :D

RossoA
Oct 24, 2007, 04:35 PM
Only 1 for Regent Street? WIN. :D

Frozentoast
Oct 24, 2007, 04:39 PM
Only 1 for Regent Street? WIN. :D
I imagine the Regent Street store will be rammed... :)

rivercottage
Oct 24, 2007, 04:40 PM
Looks like it could be a bit of a busy one at the trafford centre!

:-)
RiverCottage

danielforman
Oct 24, 2007, 04:42 PM
I don't live near an Apple store :( and to be honest have not been to an Apple store before. Its only since the iPhone was announced early this year I have become a big fan of Apple.

Anyway I'm about 2 and a half hours hours drive to the Sheffield Apple Store and am hoping to visit on the 1st Nov when me and my mates pass through. But I will be at my local O2 store to get my iPhone. Would love to be at an Apple store for the launch but just a tad too far.

alFR
Oct 24, 2007, 04:44 PM

RiverCottage

lol yeah, all 4 of us so far. :)

Frozentoast
Oct 24, 2007, 04:48 PM
It's hard to tell whether the queuing will be just as mental as our American counterparts - I guess we will know nearer the time.

TheChillPill
Oct 24, 2007, 04:49 PM
I'll be at Trafford too - seems to be a popular choice (plus it has the benefit of an o2 store and Carphone warehouse - both within viewing distance of the Apple Store :p)

stekerrod
Oct 24, 2007, 04:52 PM
ive had the dilema about arndale centre or trafford centre but the trafford centres fractionally closer and a hell of a lot easier to get a car in/out of! see you there i get

Frozentoast
Oct 24, 2007, 04:57 PM
ive had the dilema about arndale centre or trafford centre but the trafford centres fractionally closer and a hell of a lot easier to get a car in/out of! see you there i get
I'll either be wearing my Diggnation shirt or one of my Iron Maiden numbers if anyone is feeling sociable enough to say hola.

Disclaimer to criminals: Do not attempt to mug me, I am blessed with the knowledge of Pai Mei's Five-Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

dodonutter
Oct 24, 2007, 05:06 PM
well i seem to be the only one going to the southampton store so hopefully there will be no queue! saying that only 11 people have voted so far.

BTW excellent idea for a poll! have been trying to figure out where people will be going

15 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes to go :D

rivercottage
Oct 24, 2007, 05:08 PM
What time are you guys turning up? i just cant see there being mass queues like in the US, i dont wanna turn up super early to find nobody there, but dont want to turn up to find a massive queue and be at the back!

I cant realy see people lining up outside an o2 shop? i may be wrong!

RiverCottage

ibanana
Oct 24, 2007, 05:18 PM
What time are you guys turning up? i just cant see there being mass queues like in the US, i dont wanna turn up super early to find nobody there, but dont want to turn up to find a massive queue and be at the back!

I cant realy see people lining up outside an o2 shop? i may be wrong!

RiverCottage

i think i'll go at 4pm in an O2 store or maybe :apple: store regent street, not sure yet

stekerrod
Oct 24, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'll either be wearing my Diggnation shirt or one of my Iron Maiden numbers if anyone is feeling sociable enough to say hola.

Disclaimer to criminals: Do not attempt to mug me, I am blessed with the knowledge of Pai Mei's Five-Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

well im going to get to the trafford centre for about 4ish and if no1 is outside the apple store i'll go for a wander round for abit and keep checking back to see if any one is there....if u want to meet up before hand message me or something

nickspohn
Oct 24, 2007, 05:50 PM
Be sure once you guys in the UK get your iPhone you post many pictures and reviews so the people in america know what the iPhone looks like.

LOL.

dodonutter
Oct 25, 2007, 04:15 AM
Only 24 people on this forum are getting phones by the look of things. Well least there won't be any queues!

cwedl
Oct 25, 2007, 04:17 AM
You should have added two more options, o2 Store or Carphone Warehouse.

roblawton
Oct 25, 2007, 05:34 AM
Looks like there's gonna be a few of us at the Trafford Centre!

Can't wait now... my girlf is gonna hold out and have a play with mine before buying one now, so I'm only getting the one!

Knew she would chicken out... :p:D

tjcampbell
Oct 25, 2007, 05:36 AM
I'll be at Brent Cross! Not sure what time I'll be arriving tho.

ac-mac
Oct 25, 2007, 05:42 AM
i would go to the solihull store, but i live in a small town so there won't be much crowd at the o2 store, and if there is, there is a carphone warehouse opposite.

vendettabass
Oct 25, 2007, 08:19 AM
Arndale hopefully for me, hope they don't sell out!

Piarco
Oct 25, 2007, 08:21 AM
None of the above are my first choice - one of the O2 or CPW shops in Wimbledon will do me. If not, I'll head to Regent Street on the Saturday morning, hence the selection.

Frozentoast
Oct 25, 2007, 11:21 AM
well im going to get to the trafford centre for about 4ish and if no1 is outside the apple store i'll go for a wander round for abit and keep checking back to see if any one is there....if u want to meet up before hand message me or something
I may be a touch more hardcore and turn up at 3, unless the news starts reporting queues a day early in which case I will be there asap.

Be sure once you guys in the UK get your iPhone you post many pictures and reviews so the people in america know what the iPhone looks like.

LOL.
gtfo plz ;)

You should have added two more options, o2 Store or Carphone Warehouse.
The poll is just for Apple Stores, the results would be skewed if all O2 and Carphone Warehouse stores were consolidated into single options. :)

stekerrod
Oct 25, 2007, 12:05 PM
well im busy in the morning (would have got out of it had the iPhone been on sale in the morning) i'll drive up earlier if i here about queues (be checking here and other sites through out the day) but i can't see a huge amount of people there (all wondering why the hell we are stood outside the apple shop) apart from us hardcore lot!

yogamonkey
Oct 25, 2007, 01:20 PM
Lakeside would be a good bet. Apple Store there is brand new. Shop next door to it is Carphone Warehouse. 3 doors or so away is o2 shop. And that's just on the upper level. Downstairs is another o2 shop and another Carphone Warehouse.

sananda
Oct 25, 2007, 01:22 PM
i'll be in bangkok. so i guess i won't be able to join in.

Moleshome
Oct 25, 2007, 01:37 PM
If I do go to an Apple store it'll be Southampton, but it's far more likely I'll buy from O2 than do a 3 hour round trip drive to Southampton.

Frozentoast
Oct 25, 2007, 05:04 PM
i'll be in bangkok. so i guess i won't be able to join in.
That does sound incredible though, I'm sure there will be a healthy stock upon your return.

CD3660
Oct 25, 2007, 07:22 PM
... my girlfriend is gonna hold out and have a play with mine before buying one now.
Too much information! :D

stekerrod
Oct 26, 2007, 02:16 AM
Can't wait now... my girlf is gonna hold out and have a play with mine

would it be too much to ask for you and your girlfriend too play with things before or after you come to the trafford centre....i don't want to see that!:p

metoo6000
Oct 26, 2007, 03:27 AM
would it be too much to ask for you and your girlfriend too play with things before or after you come to the trafford centre....i don't want to see that!:p

LOL :D:D

Frozentoast
Oct 26, 2007, 06:30 PM
Judging by the huge turnouts for Leopard some of us may have to rethink our strategies. I hope it doesn't come to the point of me having to sleep in my car outside on the 8th.

TheChillPill
Oct 26, 2007, 07:14 PM
Judging by the huge turnouts for Leopard some of us may have to rethink our strategies. I hope it doesn't come to the point of me having to sleep in my car outside on the 8th.

I've just been thinking exactly the same. Given that Leopard purchasers today are likely to be the 'die hard' fans, and iPhone will attract a great deal more people than this, it does point towards some serious queuing on the 9th.

On the bright side, there's a 24-hour Asda opposite the Trafford Centre that should be good for supplies :p

dodonutter
Oct 26, 2007, 07:19 PM

:( were they that bad...Really hoping that the Southampton store won't be that busy, really don't wana have to queue for hours.

Did that for the Regent Street opening and 19 hours of freezing my boll***s off was worth it but i'm only ever doing it once!

CD3660
Oct 26, 2007, 09:42 PM
I may be wrong but I would have thought that the market for Leopard is likely to be much more extensive than the initial market for the iPhone.

Anyway, my understanding is that there is 24 hour access to the Trafford Centre (at least, that's what they told me at the Apple Store).

Frozentoast
Oct 26, 2007, 09:53 PM
I may be wrong but I would have thought that the market for Leopard is likely to be much more extensive than the initial market for the iPhone.
Did you forget about Steve's little chart? ;) I understand what you're saying though, the point of entry price wise will play a role in this. Premonition is telling me it wont just be us nerdlingers salivating for one come launch day.

http://www.kerningchaos.com/keynote.jpg

Anyway, my understanding is that there is 24 hour access to the Trafford Centre (at least, that's what they told me at the Apple Store).
That could be fun.

CD3660
Oct 26, 2007, 10:22 PM
Did you forget about Steve's little chart? ;) I understand what you're saying though, the point of entry price wise will play a role in this. Premonition is telling me it wont just be us nerdlingers salivating for one come launch day.

I've never seen that chart. Interesting. I still find it difficult to imagine U.S. style crowds for the U.K. launch. However, I may be eating my words in 13 days 14 hours and 37 minutes! :)

stekerrod
Oct 27, 2007, 01:50 AM

i was at the trafford centre and thought i'd happily be able to waltz in at 6 buy leopard and go home......i was sadly mistaken and didnt end up getting in until 7! i grossly underestimated how many people would be there! thinking of iPhone queing that little bit earlier now! probably around 3 instead of 4

CD3660
Oct 27, 2007, 01:54 AM
i was at the trafford centre and thought i'd happily be able to waltz in at 6 buy leopard and go home......i was sadly mistaken and didnt end up getting in until 7! i grossly underestimated how many people would be there!
So how many people were there and how far did the queue stretch? At least you only had to wait an hour.

stekerrod
Oct 27, 2007, 01:58 AM
So how many people were there and how far did the queue stretch? At least you only had to wait an hour.

errrr i dont think it was as busy as in the arndale shop but it was round one of the things that let you see down to the lower floor......it's going to be alot worse for iPhone......i asked one of the members of staff and apparently people started queing around 4 so im thinking getting there at 3 should get me in excellent position for an iPhone!

sorry felt the need to add:
i didnt join the queue right away either i went to get something to eat in the orient before joining and when i actually joined i was only queing for about 10mins because in 45 minutes most from the queue had got in!

CD3660
Oct 27, 2007, 02:12 AM
......it's going to be alot worse for iPhone...
I'm really not convinced about that because of all the different factors involved of which there are many. Not least is the expensive contract tariffs and the hassle and expense (for most people) of either having two mobile contracts running together or terminating one early. Leopard is also a much cheaper product.

stekerrod
Oct 27, 2007, 02:30 AM
I'm really not convinced about that because of all the different factors involved of which there are many. Not least is the expensive contract tariffs and the hassle and expense (for most people) of either having two mobile contracts running together or terminating one early. Leopard is also a much cheaper product.

fair point but there was also alot of people buying computers as well....not just the upgrades....ah well we will see how busy it gets in only 13 days now!

metoo6000
Oct 27, 2007, 03:07 AM

In addition, people can buy iPhone in O2 shop and CPW, so I guess the iPhone queue maybe less than Leopard one. But... who knows...

13 days 9 hours and 52 minutes to go!!

dodonutter
Nov 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
Thought i'd bump this back up seeing as the release is getting nearer and i'm sure more than 47 people here are from the UK and are getting iPhones. either that or they are a very vocal 47!

Project
Nov 2, 2007, 12:07 PM

I got to the Apple store at about 5.30 and there were well over 200 people in front of me in the queue at that point. Definitely did not expect it for Leopard.

I will be getting to the Apple Store in Manchester Arndale for about 5pm. Don't want to risk missing out, even if the potential is small. I have waited too long for this!

Frozentoast
Nov 2, 2007, 12:39 PM
Aside from people watching, has anyone got a suggestion for things to do while you're loitering like a fanboy 4 hours prior to launch. Bearing in mind that bringing some form of MacBook is out of the question. :)

dodonutter
Nov 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
Aside from people watching, has anyone got a suggestion for things to do while you're loitering like a fanboy 4 hours prior to launch. Bearing in mind that bringing some form of MacBook is out of the question. :)

Drink lots and lots of coffee so you are REALLY excited when 6pm comes :D

geezageek
Nov 2, 2007, 01:09 PM
Oh! Do you think I'm a bit early then?

tjcampbell
Nov 3, 2007, 08:59 PM
Just so you know... I was in Brighton today and I wandered into an o2 store and asked about the iPhone and was told that it's likely that a lot of their stores wont have them to November 11 / 12. :eek:

Not a worry for me, I'll be in London, likely at Brent Cross, but I am tempted to investigate whether the Carphone Warehouse (ten steps away) will be getting any...

bluetideUK
Nov 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
ill be going to southampton west quay apple store, as its close to Portsmouth and its on my train route home(mum will want to see my purchase ive been bragging about it since the announcement :P) im going to make a whole day out of it :D

Stonie24
Nov 3, 2007, 11:15 PM
Regents St. for me.. gonna be my first apple event, hence it only seemed appropriate to take the day off for this!! :D

Captain-Fungi
Nov 4, 2007, 02:47 AM
I'm getting to the Bullring store for 1ish will see if there is queue. If there isn't I will keep wondering around and checking back at 15/30 minute intervals.

No doubt the shop will close at 4 like it did for Leopard, most people started queueing after that so I think I will be alright *crosses fingers*

nomad01
Nov 4, 2007, 04:31 AM
I'm getting to the Bullring store for 1ish will see if there is queue. If there isn't I will keep wondering around and checking back at 15/30 minute intervals.

No doubt the shop will close at 4 like it did for Leopard, most people started queueing after that so I think I will be alright *crosses fingers*

I'm at work on Friday so won't get there until 5ish. :-( If there's not TOO much of a queue, I'll join it then. If it's looking too grim, there's a CPW just outside the bullring and another down the road and there's 2 O2 shops in the bullring and another just down the road so I should get one from somewhere on Friday... right!?! :-)

Just prefer to use Apple though... if I had a problem I think I'd be better off with them than CPW or O2.

Smog
Nov 4, 2007, 04:54 AM
going to the meadowhall store in sheffield at about 3.30 pm, and Captain-Fungi, i was in my local CPW yesterday and he told me they were closing at 3pm, not 4 :D but then again, apple could close later

Frozentoast
Nov 6, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm betting a few people on this forum will end up featured on the news.

CD3660
Nov 7, 2007, 12:23 AM
I'm betting a few people on this forum will end up featured on the news.
RossoA will as he will be near or at the front in Regent Street. Could well feature on national news bulletins. :D