PDA

View Full Version : 23 or 20 with New G5?


CryptoMac
Sep 6, 2003, 09:05 AM
I now have the ok from the "boss" to get an Apple Display for my D2G5. Is the 23" REALLY worth the extra $700? Any thoughts appreciated.

edesignuk
Sep 6, 2003, 09:10 AM
Well, I'd say if your boss will pay it, then yes, of course it is! Why have the 20" when you can have a 23"? More screen real estate means greater work flow, or at least that's what you can tell the boss ;)

CryptoMac
Sep 6, 2003, 09:24 AM
It did take much convincing that I needed the Apple display to make my switch from PCs complete. Do you think if a larger display is announced in Paris that the prices on the 23 will drop quickly? I don't want to get burned by not waiting for a while but at the same time, I am anxious to get one now.

Megaquad
Sep 6, 2003, 09:39 AM
20" has somewhat better specs.. I'd go with 20".

amin
Sep 6, 2003, 10:31 AM
By "boss," do you mean wife? Or is your business going to pay for the display? The 20" is pretty damn sweet, and I wish I could afford one, but if money is no object, go for the 23". No one can tell you if the extra pixels are worth the extra $$. I disagree with Mega's assessment, but I won't get into that discussion since it has been adequately covered in other very recent threads comparing these two displays.

airmac
Sep 6, 2003, 01:15 PM
I also disagree with Mega. About the specs, the viewing angle is the same and that's what matters most. Go for the 23, i am in the same boat but i will wait for Paris. But if those 30 inch monsters do appear they wil cost a lot more.

CryptoMac
Sep 6, 2003, 04:52 PM
I appreciate all the responses and yes the "boss" is the wife. I will search for the other threads on the specs and see what they have to say as well. Thanks again.

GeoMac
Sep 7, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by amin
I disagree with Mega's assessment, but I won't get into that discussion since it has been adequately covered in other very recent threads comparing these two displays.

there's really nothing to disagree with. Per apple, the 20" has equal to or better specs in all categories but one...size. That being said, even if they were the same, and same price, I'd probably still go 20", just because I think at somepoint you reach the point of diminshing returns between the time you save having more screen real estate versus the time it takes to move the mouse pointer from one side to another.

airmac
Sep 7, 2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by GeoMac
there's really nothing to disagree with. Per apple, the 20" has equal to or better specs in all categories but one...size. That being said, even if they were the same, and same price, I'd probably still go 20", just because I think at somepoint you reach the point of diminshing returns between the time you save having more screen real estate versus the time it takes to move the mouse pointer from one side to another.

hehe well think again. USB Overdrive X let you custom your speed of moving your mouse so no, I disagree again. You know, OS X just screams for more real estate...and i just don't get it. The guy needs a monitor for work and money is no object. Of course GO FOR THE 23!!!!!!!

geez..:rolleyes:

GeoMac
Sep 7, 2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by airmac
hehe well think again. USB Overdrive X let you custom your speed of moving your mouse so no, I disagree again. You know, OS X just screams for more real estate...and i just don't get it. The guy needs a monitor for work and money is no object. Of course GO FOR THE 23!!!!!!!

geez..:rolleyes:

hehe, well you sure can adjust your mouse speed, as you can with pretty much every PC as well, but have you ever tried clicking the right cell in EXCEL or highlighting a word in WORD when your mouse is set to light speed? :rolleyes:Sorry friend, I was kinda joking anyway about the time it takes to scroll anyway, but since you took it seriously, thought I rebut. And the 20" CD is nicer looking anyway. Unless you really need the space, I'd go with the 20", regardless of price...

Tiauguinho
Sep 7, 2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by airmac
I also disagree with Mega. About the specs, the viewing angle is the same and that's what matters most. Go for the 23, i am in the same boat but i will wait for Paris. But if those 30 inch monsters do appear they wil cost a lot more.

You are wrong. I have a 20'' and before i bought it, I seriously compared both the 20'' and the 23''. The 20'' has a better display and much but much better brightness. Colors are more alive and the viewing angle is a bit better. Apple changed the viewing angle of the 23'' to match the 20'' when the 20'' came out, but the screen is the same. The 23'' is bigger but not better. Go check both side by side and you shall see the difference.

CryptoMac
Sep 7, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
You are wrong. I have a 20'' and before i bought it, I seriously compared both the 20'' and the 23''. The 20'' has a better display and much but much better brightness. Colors are more alive and the viewing angle is a bit better. Apple changed the viewing angle of the 23'' to match the 20'' when the 20'' came out, but the screen is the same. The 23'' is bigger but not better. Go check both side by side and you shall see the difference.

Thanks Tiauguinho, I had planned on doing that before I made the final decision. I wanted to get some opinions to help me make the choice though. I am very impressed with help from the Mac community here, it shows that I am making the right decision to switch.

Tiauguinho
Sep 7, 2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by CryptoMac
Thanks Tiauguinho, I had planned on doing that before I made the final decision. I wanted to get some opinions to help me make the choice though. I am very impressed with help from the Mac community here, it shows that I am making the right decision to switch.

No problem at all CryptoMac. You will see that switching will be a extremely good process for you. Macs are special and you shall see that for yourself. The G5 will become your friend. Your purchase is a very good one, a Dual G5 is gonna kick some serious ass. I've tried a Pre-Production Dual G5 and they are awsome machines. As for the 20'' Cinema, I own one since they came out and its a beatifull display. I've tried Formac, Sony and the 23'' Cinema, but nothing compares to this one. Its just perfect and not a single dead pixel. But, if I were you, I would wait probably a bit, to see if Apple will release a new re-designed version, probably with better specs. Just wait until Apple Paris. If you need some more things you want to know about the display, just ask. :)

airmac
Sep 8, 2003, 06:35 AM
CryptoMac, just compared both. If you need more real estate (and that's where i dissagree with others) than you'll realised what I'm talking about.

20".....1680 x 1050 optimal resolution
23".....1920 x 1200 optimal resolution

There is a BIG difference. And yes, i've seen both in action.

themadchemist
Sep 8, 2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by airmac
hehe well think again. USB Overdrive X let you custom your speed of moving your mouse so no, I disagree again. You know, OS X just screams for more real estate...and i just don't get it. The guy needs a monitor for work and money is no object. Of course GO FOR THE 23!!!!!!!

geez..:rolleyes:

I guess you just scanned this thread...You would be right if his "boss" were his boss, but his "boss" is his wife, and the tab is coming straight out of his own pocket...

No, money is still the object, and the complaints of the wife if he spends too much on a monitor.

airmac
Sep 8, 2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by themadchemist
I guess you just scanned this thread...You would be right if his "boss" were his boss, but his "boss" is his wife, and the tab is coming straight out of his own pocket...

No, money is still the object, and the complaints of the wife if he spends too much on a monitor.

Fair enough..;)

switcher2003
Nov 22, 2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by GeoMac
there's really nothing to disagree with. Per apple, the 20" has equal to or better specs in all categories but one...size. That being said, even if they were the same, and same price, I'd probably still go 20", just because I think at somepoint you reach the point of diminshing returns between the time you save having more screen real estate versus the time it takes to move the mouse pointer from one side to another.

I am about to enter the world of macs after many years with PC's.
The G5 has caught my eye but I am trying to decide what monitor to compliment it.

I initially thought a 23" woudl be great just for workspace - but having read threads where people seemed to suggest the 20" was better I checked them out side by side. The 20" does indeed have a sharper image (you can see the individual pixels on the 23" whereas the 20" gives a smoother image) and more scope with brightness. However I have not been able to find any technical spec which points to 20" being superior to the 23" in any area apart from Brightness (230 cd/m squared versus 200 cd /m square for 23")
Is there any data which says that the response time is better for 20". apple dont seem to publish it anywhere in their leaflets.

also - has anyone had a look at the new SOny 23" side by side with Apple 23". I saw the new Sony 23" on its own and it looked very impressive to me.

iEric
Nov 22, 2003, 02:19 AM
I heard the price will drop soon due to a new screen/design or something is coming out..is this true? I HOPE IT COMES OUT SOON..