Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I was just at the apple store where they are displaying the 1.8 and 1.6 G5s. I was a little taken a back by the strange keyboard. Its kinda chincey, and lacks the nice polished feel I'm used to. Just over the arrow keys is a chunk of white plastic that looks like it doesn't belong. The clear plastic boarder I'm used to around the iMac KB is missing, and the keys feel rough and chunky. The back of the KB has two USB ports while one wire is for the connection.

My guess is Apple may be cutting costs on the 'included' G5KB to make the BTKB look that much more desirable.

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
although it looks cheap, it's still a better keyboard than the roll-up keyboards my school just bought for the computers in one of the 2nd floor computer labs.

[sarcasm]i go to teh greatest school on teh planet!!!111!!1! :rolleyes:[/sarcasm]

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
These have been the keyboards shipping with eMacs for a couple months now. The "pro" keyboards that used to ship with iMacs and Powermacs were dicontinued to make wya for the future wireless keyboards.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes it does look like they simplified the construction of the keyboard, and likely reduced the cost of the keyboard.

But as Ford has proven time and again saving $10 on the structure surrounding the gas tank is worth it for the shareholders and customers.

So if Apple is saving some money on the keyboards, their customers and shareholders will probably be just as happy. ;)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
personally i hated those keyboards as well, but now i like them, and i like them a whole lot more than the pro's. only thing i dont like is how they are white, and if the new bluetooth keyboards are white i will not be buying them.

iJon

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
I just got a couple of eMacs and have fallen in love w/ the new keyboards. They're alot better than the keyboards that came w/ the original iMac and just as good if not better than the last version of the pro-keyboards.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i ove thw new regular keyboards. they have a lab full of new shiny eMacs in my school with the new keyboards, and i want one! i still am on an original iMac keyboard, where the page down is right above the times key (*) all the way in the upper right. that has to get used a lot be me for some odd reason, but i love the new keyboard:)

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
since apple tries to distinguish its pro/consumer computers via the white/silver color scheme, shouldn't the owners of the G5 have a snazy aluminum keybaord simular to that of the 17 inch PB

aethier

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
-->shouldn't the owners of the G5 have a snazy aluminum keybaord simular to that of the 17 inch PB (aethier)

We have a winner.

I think Apple is going to have a gray/Aluminum-style keyboard and mouse within a year or two, but it's just my guess.

Imagine your current Pro Mouse with a panther metal look instead of a black/white.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
I think those keyboards are pretty ugly. They remind me of the Apple IIgs keyboards. My favorite recent Apple keyboard is the black Apple Pro Keyboard.

AngryAngel

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Originally posted by PowerBook User
They remind me of the Apple IIgs keyboards.

The IIgs keyboard is my all-time favourite Apple keyboard- it is so small!

I love this cut-down new keyboard, and I will use it happily on my G5. I never liked the rounded edge to the space bar, and all the other keys on the bottom row (that the old pro USB keyboards have).

I also like white with black lettering, as it is much easier to read than white lettering on black. If it gets dirty, it's not that hard to clean.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by OKComputer
Ive been told that the new emac/powermac style keyboards are a ton more durable as well

and now they are about 1million times harder to get dust and things into.

that white piece above the arrow keys. on my black pro kb i have about 10 hairs, 3 pieces of chocolate and a few other dust things under it. I am not however game enough to unscrew my kb to clean it.

this new design is cleaner and easier to keep clean. i just with it was still adjustable for height etc.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
hmm do you think that Apple will suprise us at MacWorld Paris, and say that since all the people who have been waiting paitiently for the Dual G5 to finaly ship, that they will announce that it is shipping with whatever new keyboard gets introduced?

aethier

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i highly doubt it. im sure they are already boxed up, just to save money on shipping they are probably waiting for many more to be done so they can send them off all at once.

iJon

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
hey ijon why do you like these better then the pro's? i like having a port at each end of the keyboard. pc's still dont have this. so easy to plug my digital camera into.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
hey ijon why do you like these better then the pro's? i like having a port at each end of the keyboard. pc's still dont have this. so easy to plug my digital camera into.

Umm maybe i just don't understand something. But why would you want to plug in anything into 1.1 usb when there are firewire and usb 2.0 available right infront of the G5?

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
So you don't shoot me down in flames, let me say first off I hate Microsoft, but I have one of their USB wireless pro keyboard (The one with the curvy keyboard that really does help RSI) and mouse sets and they really are good. So is the OSX software that lets you programme all the extra buttons. I have 1 that loads Mail. 1 for Safari, 1 for iPhoto etc and 1 to empty trash etc. When my G5 dual arrives, I'll give my wife the keyboard and mouse for her old iMac and keep the one I have.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Originally posted by Rezet
Umm maybe i just don't understand something. But why would you want to plug in anything into 1.1 usb when there are firewire and usb 2.0 available right infront of the G5?

Perhaps he is refering to using it with a G4 eMac. Even so Rezet, some people would rather just plug a Cam into the keyboard on the desktop than to get down on the floor and plug into the front of the case? The point to me is that Apple gives you the option and that rocks. I use mine all the time and i have a USB Hub sitting next to my iMac. It's convient.

MacBoyX

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Rezet

Obviously, if it was a slower peripheral, it wouldn't matter. You wouldn't want to waste a USB 2.0 port on a USB 1.1 device.

Leave the USB 2.0 port for scanners and newer digital cameras.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
i've never used the new keyboards but
my apple Pro Keyboard is handsdown my favorite keyboard that I have ever used and I'm an IT for an all-Windows system so i've used plenty.
it's just so simple, but it has what i need.

and I'm not just dillusional because it's made by Apple... I hated (using) the original iMac kb.

my only complaint would be that it does not have any shortcut keys

but i can't wait to use a *wireless* apple kb :) :p

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Originally posted by PowerBook User
I think those keyboards are pretty ugly. They remind me of the Apple IIgs keyboards. My favorite recent Apple keyboard is the black Apple Pro Keyboard.

I liked that keyboard, and it was a bit simpler.
This great keyboard for schools, durable and functional. The pro keyboards didn't do as well for schools as they did for professionals.

What I really miss are the true type-o-matic keyboards. I like the way they felt and sounded as one typed. There was something assuring about hearing a switch actuate for each key. I miss that springy sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.