Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Hi, I have just purchased a 2nd gen 10 GB IPod, and I am awaiting it's delivery.

I understand I can use third party (on my PC, not Mac) programs (Xplay and EphPod) in conjunction with the IPod so it is recognised by my PC so I transfer the songs.

I was wondering if there was a fool-proof way of completely reformating the Ipod from Mac to Windows. I.e so I can use Music Match Jukebox to transfer songs etc.

I would apreciate any help over this matter as I would like my Ipod to be as fully compatible with my PC as possible.

Regards

Sam

Sam41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Not that I know of, I think there is for older models where the Windows option was not a choice. I'll check up on that though. Cheers.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'd be grateful/

Regards:cool:

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60920#faq7

Question 7: I have both a Mac and a PC. Will my iPod work on both?

Answer: No, not at the same time. iPod is configured for either Mac or PC. You can use the iPod Software Updater utility to restore iPod to work with a Mac or a PC (depending on which version of the utility you use). See technical document 60983, "iPod: How to Restore" for more information.

Note: Using the iPod for Mac on a PC, or using the iPod for Windows on a Mac, is not supported by Apple.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
the apple faq is dumb... all you need to do is use the software updater and update the software on the ipod when connected to the PC...you will lose the music on there unless u use a 3rd party app like those u mentioned to transfer over the tunes...apple doesn't support it but it works fine.

Sam41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Cheers guys, I know there are ways to use a MAC IPOD on Windows, so I never trusted the Apple FAQ site ;)

Kwyjibo, so if I download the latest Windows software for the IPod, it should just recognise it as being a Windows model?

It doesn't matter about losing songs, as I won't have put any on it [it should be here in the next 1-3 days]. And will I be able to add songs via Music match Jukebox (I have this already vers. 8 I think) to the IPod like a normal Windows IPOD?

One last question [if I haven't already bored you to death ;)] If I download the latest WINDOWS software for the 'pod, and it doesn't work too well, and programs like Ephpod are better suited, could I simply download the latest MAC software and use Ephpod or whatever?

Cheers guys :)

Sam

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
the apple faq is dumb... all you need to do is use the software updater and update the software on the ipod when connected to the PC...you will lose the music on there unless u use a 3rd party app like those u mentioned to transfer over the tunes...apple doesn't support it but it works fine.

I really don't like the FAQ that well either, but you stated what the Apple FAQ said. At least that's the way I read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.