PDA

View Full Version : Airport vs Airport Extreme in a 500mhz ibook

grapes911
Sep 6, 2003, 12:44 PM
so I have a 500 mhz ibook that say "Airport Ready" (or something like that) and I want to go wireless. Can i put an Airport Extreme in my ibook? Will that work on not? I do alot of file in my sharing and the extra speed will be helpful. thanks for any help.

bobpensik
Sep 6, 2003, 12:52 PM
Well either way i don't think that it really matters, i have an Airport Extreme card and Router but i am only able to get at best speeds of about 1-2 mb/s so i mean there is like no difference that would be noticeable between normal and extreme, from what i have found.

So go with the cheaper anyway :-D

big
Sep 6, 2003, 01:29 PM
you can use an Airport extreme base station, no problem, though the airport card in your iBook can not support the extreme verion... you have no choice but too buy the cheaper one.

redAPPLE
Sep 6, 2003, 01:35 PM
does Apple still sell the "normal" base station?

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 6, 2003, 01:41 PM
You will not be able to put an Airport Extreme card into your iBook. They have a different form factor (the AP is a modified PC card, APE is mini-PCI).

You can only buy the AirPort Extreme base station, but they're a hundred dollars cheaper than they used to be. Don't worry about it.

jxyama
Sep 6, 2003, 01:43 PM
is there any advantage to getting an apple wireless router?

it's a lot more expensive than regular ones... i have a netgear wifi and it works fine with my pb 12"...

big
Sep 6, 2003, 02:28 PM
I like my airport extreme (router) because it allows me to print wirelessly...

vollspacken
Sep 6, 2003, 03:19 PM
I have the extreme base station even though my tiBook does only support "normal" airport...

for several reasons:
1. the extreme base station sold for less than the old "normal" version.
2. wirless printing (my main reason)
3. future proof (even though I don't think that extreme will push "wi-fi"/normal airport aside anytime soon...
4. better support in the future (since the old base station was discontinued)

vSpacken

redAPPLE
Sep 7, 2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by big
I like my airport extreme (router) because it allows me to print wirelessly...

wireless printing? how does that work? i could guess that a mac musst be connected to a printer, it has to be turned on etc. right?

big
Sep 7, 2003, 01:28 AM
my extreme base station has a USB port, connect your printer to that, si ton the couch and type report, click on command+p, the printer gets its info from the base station, which gets it from your laptop

or have one computer connecdted to the printer, and enable USB printer sharing

redAPPLE
Sep 7, 2003, 06:01 AM
i guess the printer has to be rendezvous capable right?

LimeLite
Sep 7, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
i guess the printer has to be rendezvous capable right?
Um, I don't think so. It's just network printing.

LimeLite
Sep 7, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by bobpensik
Well either way i don't think that it really matters, i have an Airport Extreme card and Router but i am only able to get at best speeds of about 1-2 mb/s so i mean there is like no difference that would be noticeable between normal and extreme, from what i have found.

So go with the cheaper anyway :-D

Airport Extreme is not for faster internet speeds, it's for faster connection between computers. And also, you need to differentiate your MB and Mb. Airport Extreme gives speeds up to 54Mb, which translates to about 6.75MB per second. Regular Airport runs at speeds up to 11Mb per second, which is about 1.375MB per second. Downloading from the internet, yeah, you won't notice a speed increase really, but from computer to computer, it's just under 5x faster.

big
Sep 7, 2003, 11:36 AM
apple has a list of printers that work with the airport extreme base station, check out their website, apple.com/airport