PDA

View Full Version : Leopard and CS3. So what's it really like?

MacBoobsPro
Oct 25, 2007, 05:36 AM
Now people are getting their hands on Leopard I was wondering if anyone could put my mind at ease regarding the performance of CS3 on Leopard.

I have pre-ordered Leopard and I am itching to install it but I have a few big freelance jobs on the go and if CS3 doesn't work I am unfortunately going to have to hold off installing Leopard.

Stampyhead
Oct 25, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'm in the exact same boat. I'm glad I saw this thread before I started my own. If anyone could update us on the performance of CS3 once they install Leopard it would be much appreciated.

Father Jack
Oct 25, 2007, 10:59 AM
I'm totally sure it will be all you want it to be .. ;)

chaosbunny
Oct 25, 2007, 11:19 AM
Sign me up on the "I'm interested" list!

I'm pretty sure my 2,8 ghz iMac would benefit from Leopard, slight speed increase & hopefully better video drivers. But that's worth nothing if CS3 doesn't work properly.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 26, 2007, 05:34 AM
Ok so I have Leopard in my hand right now. Does anyone want to answer the question regarding CS3?

PLEASE!!!!

netdog
Oct 26, 2007, 05:39 AM
Ok so I have Leopard in my hand right now. Does anyone want to answer the question regarding CS3?

PLEASE!!!!

Mutlimedia claims to have spoken to Adobe support yesterday, and they told him it would work just fine, even with an archive and install. You might want to call Adobe yourself to verify, but I expect that Multi is being straight up.

I can tell you in about 6 hours what my own experience is. :)

edesignuk
Oct 26, 2007, 05:41 AM
I installed CS3 on Leopard last night. For some reason Fireworks didn't go on the first time although everything else did. So I ran setup again and selected Fireworks then it went on fine.

Everything runs and installs no problem.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 26, 2007, 05:46 AM
Mutlimedia claims to have spoken to Adobe support yesterday, and they told him it would work just fine, even with an archive and install. You might want to call Adobe yourself to verify, but I expect that Multi is being straight up.

I can tell you in about 6 hours what my own experience is. :)

Yeh. Multimedia is a straight up guy. We audio chatted about ripping movies a while back and he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for the replies guys.

wozzabikes
Oct 29, 2007, 08:34 AM
the link below may be of some help

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/creative/2007/10/leopard-creative-suite-3/index.php

TooFastForLove
Oct 29, 2007, 09:02 AM
For those who may have glanced over this posting:

http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf

I've only tested PS so far, but I feel pretty confident about the rest of them after reading the PDF from Adobe. I actually found PS to load much faster than Tiger - I didn't see any of the "loading fonts..etc." messages when starting it up.

C'est bon!

richard.mac
Oct 29, 2007, 11:41 AM
I've tested PS extended CS3 on 10.5. works great. load time is about 1-2s faster than 10.4 on my specs. Opens > 2000 pixel Leopard Server background image in about 20s when not in cache. loads same image in 5s when in cache.

screenshot for anyone interested in how PS looks in leopard

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/1798886125_4b5b3331e2_b.jpg

Nayrb
Oct 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm having some issues with Photoshop. Runs fine and all but then I go to save and Crash.

Maybe I overlooked something, any ideas?

Marilyn
Oct 30, 2007, 02:48 AM
I've found that CS3 runs a LOT faster using Leopard. I haven't encountered any issues at all and I'm a pretty heavy user of the hogs (Photoshop, InDesign)

The only issue I had with the upgrade something with the mail client, but that was my ISP's issue and not the OS. (It happened when I upgraded to Tiger too)

So far, so good! (keeping fingers crossed) :apple:

richard.mac
Oct 30, 2007, 03:07 AM
I'm having some issues with Photoshop. Runs fine and all but then I go to save and Crash.

can you post the crash report? may be something to do with the files and folders that the adobe open/save dialogue needs but it cant find them or their corrupted. a reinstall may be in order

koobcamuk
Oct 30, 2007, 03:12 AM
17 bounces - first ever open

8 bounces - second open

Seems like safari... snappier :)

jonG
Oct 30, 2007, 03:19 AM

I was having the same problem about 2 weeks ago running on Tiger on a PPc iMac. It was after the adobe update which I did right in the middle of a big freelance job(still kicking myself). It screwed everything up. i had every app in CS3 design standard crashing as soon as I tried to save anything or try and relink links in INDD. In had to do a clean sweep and complete reinstall and it fixed everything. I have no idea why the Adobe update would cause this....any answers. Kinda scary. Now I may have to wait for leopard as i just bought CS3 production pro and need to use it now.

smurfjammer
Oct 30, 2007, 03:38 AM
I would wait for an update from Adobe.
I use it at work and it's OK but try and do any real work it falls over.

hessdesigns
Oct 30, 2007, 10:12 AM
By any chance has anybody tried using After Effects? It's listed as one of the programs that "may not fully function" under Leopard. What does this actually mean? It won't work at all, or it will work, but maybe some random tool or action makes it crash? Anybody tried it yet?

radiantm3
Oct 30, 2007, 12:25 PM
I would wait for an update from Adobe.
I use it at work and it's OK but try and do any real work it falls over.

So if I haven't had a single issue with CS3 and Leopard, does that mean I'm not doing any real work? :cool:

Father Jack
Oct 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
Photoshop CS3 runs grand on Leopard but InDesign CS3 won't run at all ..... :eek:

I reinstalled Quark 6.5, no problems there .. :)

ChicoWeb
Oct 30, 2007, 02:38 PM
So if I haven't had a single issue with CS3 and Leopard, does that mean I'm not doing any real work? :cool:

Does Save For Web have any issues for you? Mine appears to take longer.

rrijkers
Oct 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
I can't seem to figure out how to add the acrobat PDF printer to my printers. Gonna have to look further for a fix... :(

Anyone? :)

jerryrock
Oct 31, 2007, 10:07 PM
Photoshop CS3 runs grand on Leopard but InDesign CS3 won't run at all ..... :eek:

I reinstalled Quark 6.5, no problems there .. :)

InDesign CS3 runs fine in Leopard, as does Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Bridge,Flash and Quark XPress 7.3. I am not seeing the problems with Acrobat Pro that was announced by Adobe.

Colin Hoernig
Nov 1, 2007, 09:18 AM
By any chance has anybody tried using After Effects? It's listed as one of the programs that "may not fully function" under Leopard. What does this actually mean? It won't work at all, or it will work, but maybe some random tool or action makes it crash? Anybody tried it yet?

I use After Effects extensively and so far everything has run great. Seems a tad bit faster than on 10.4, also.

I had no problems at all installing Master Collection CS3, I've used Dreamweaver, PS, Illustrator, and After Effects extensively so far, and they seem to run perfect, haven't had any crashes and they all seem to run faster.

@ jerryrock: I am experiencing the same, no problems with Acrobat Pro here!

flrazor
Nov 1, 2007, 09:33 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to add the acrobat PDF printer to my printers. Gonna have to look further for a fix... :(

Anyone? :)

I believe this was described as one of the problems that Adobe said they had to fix, something about the Apple print-to-PDF driver not getting along with the Adobe drivers after installing Leopard. If I can find a direct link to this information I will post it here. Adobe listed the fix for Acrobat as coming in January with the next update release cycle.

kristofor
Nov 1, 2007, 04:14 PM
Adobe does say they are confident in recommending the master collection for Leopard. Apparently the bugs are not major ones that you would encounter in everyday use.

mock5120
Nov 1, 2007, 11:55 PM
I've been using Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign pretty extensively since I installed Leopard last Friday. I haven't had any problems at all. I have had issues with a few other programs (ProPresenter, Safari, and iTunes syncing with my iPhone), but I haven't had a single crash or other issue with any of the CS3 programs I use daily.

TCole
Nov 2, 2007, 10:01 AM

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesignchannel/

sketchysunday
Nov 2, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm having a couple issues with CS3 in Leopard. Bridge crashes when jumping between files and folders at a reasonably fast speed. The Option key starts being eratic in Photoshop after an amount of time (sometines 10mins, sometimes an hour). By eratic, I mean it flickers between Option and Non-option mode when pressing Option (I hope that's clear enough). I have to restart PS to fix the problem.

Week-old 15" MBP. 2GB. CS3 was installed in Tiger. Leopard archive & install.

hessdesigns
Nov 2, 2007, 08:00 PM
I use After Effects extensively and so far everything has run great. Seems a tad bit faster than on 10.4, also.

Thanks for the info! I've read in a few places now that there doesn't seem to be major problems with AE. Think I'm gonna have a date with Leopard this weekend...

tomoisyourgod
Nov 3, 2007, 06:25 AM
I've been using Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign pretty extensively since I installed Leopard last Friday. I haven't had any problems at all. I have had issues with a few other programs (ProPresenter, Safari, and iTunes syncing with my iPhone), but I haven't had a single crash or other issue with any of the CS3 programs I use daily.

can I ask what hardware you've got? MBP / iMac / Mac Pro?

AdeFowler
Nov 3, 2007, 06:50 AM
Great thread... bookmarked!

I can't wait to get Leopard on my G5 but I need to be absolutely certain about CS3. My guess is that I'll do it over Christmas, so that I'll have time to put things right if it all goes tits up.

Genghis Khan
Nov 7, 2007, 01:07 AM
so far i haven't noticed any difference, although it is a bit quicker/smoother switching windows on my C2D 2.13GHz-1GB-128MB VGA iMac

Infrared
Nov 7, 2007, 12:57 PM
Great thread... bookmarked!

I can't wait to get Leopard on my G5 but I need to be absolutely certain about CS3. My guess is that I'll do it over Christmas, so that I'll have time to put things right if it all goes tits up.

CS3 includes a lot of different apps and I'm not sure which
particular ones you use.

Contrary to some reports here, PS may not be completely
compatible with Leopard in its current state (where "it"
could refer to either OS X 10.5 or PS ).

The Adobe forums are well worth a look:

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/

creator2456
Nov 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
I am having a problem where my CS3 Design Premium apps will open just fine and act just fine until I open a document. The document acts like it is open (shows up under the Window menu pulldown, in the overview HUD, etc) but no document window is showing.

I need to quit and log out/login to get it working correctly again.

Clean install of Leopard on formatted HD and fresh install of CS3 (twice) by the way. CD-2.16 GHz-MBP-2 GB RAM

DARKiLLUSiON
Jan 23, 2008, 10:12 PM
cs3 apps won't even start at all for my 10.5
but could this be because of patches not working properly(download)?

snickelfritz
Jan 24, 2008, 11:47 PM
CS3 Design Premium function fine in Leopard.
There is apparently a memory leak in 10.5.1, which is exacerbated by the sheer volume of memory used by CS3.
PS input fields are weird in 10.5.1; sometimes they don't accept values typed into them.

10.5.2 is supposed to fix these issues.

three
Jan 25, 2008, 12:44 AM
Everything seems to be working fine with me. 10.5.1, 1.66GHz CD.

twomiracles
Jan 26, 2008, 10:19 PM
I have CS3 installed on a MacBook which came with a fresh install of Leopard and I haven't had any problems. I did think it ran a bit slower than it does on my iMac, which has Tiger, but I attributed that to a difference in the machines, not the OS...could be wrong, though, I guess. I was actually planning to upgrade the iMac to Leopard very soon and now this has me wondering if it's the OS or the machine...

tothelimit
Jan 27, 2008, 11:24 PM
Most of my CS3 applications are running great on Leopard. Illustrator is great, no problems so far. InDesign has been spot on as well. But Photoshop has been acting quite buggy. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem... sometimes (typically after I've had the application open for a while and have opened a few different documents) when I want to scale an object/layer and I try to manually enter values in the tool bar at the top - it doesn't work. And then that box where I tried to enter the values gets really weird and I can't erase the values I entered - I mean its nothing DRASTIC, but its annoying not being able scale things to an exact percentage.
Anyone else?
Do you think a re-install would clear it up?

snickelfritz
Jan 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
Most of my CS3 applications are running great on Leopard. Illustrator is great, no problems so far. InDesign has been spot on as well. But Photoshop has been acting quite buggy. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem... sometimes (typically after I've had the application open for a while and have opened a few different documents) when I want to scale an object/layer and I try to manually enter values in the tool bar at the top - it doesn't work. And then that box where I tried to enter the values gets really weird and I can't erase the values I entered - I mean its nothing DRASTIC, but its annoying not being able scale things to an exact percentage.
Anyone else?
Do you think a re-install would clear it up?

This problem has been confirmed as a Leopard issue.
10.5.2 will fix it.

tothelimit
Jan 27, 2008, 11:51 PM
10.5.2 will fix it.

oh that's GREAT NEWS. Thank you very much!

geeyesgee
Feb 11, 2008, 11:33 PM
10.5.2 will fix it.

Unfortunately, 10.5.2 did nothing to solve my problems. I did a fresh install of Leopard (completely erased the drive) and updated to 10.5.2, then reinstalled CS3 and I still can't open a document in Illustrator or InDesign.

I'm on a dual 2.7 GHz G5.

taylorcjones
Feb 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
I upgraded to Leopard and PSCS3 crashed about every 10-15 minutes forcing me to leap back to Tiger.

Hopefully Adobe & Apple will combine forces to bring a good fix for this.

ChrisA
Feb 14, 2008, 11:45 AM
I upgraded to Leopard and PSCS3 crashed about every 10-15 minutes forcing me to leap back to Tiger.

Hopefully Adobe & Apple will combine forces to bring a good fix for this.

What hardware are you running this on? It works well for 99.999% of us. There is always the chance you have a hardware issue. Like an intermetent memory failure. The mac Pro solves this with it's ECC RAM but maybe you don't have am MP?

BlakTornado
Feb 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
What hardware are you running this on? It works well for 99.999% of us. There is always the chance you have a hardware issue. Like an intermetent memory failure. The mac Pro solves this with it's ECC RAM but maybe you don't have am MP?

"MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Intel" according to his profile (It wouldn't run on a G4)

Very strange.

taylorcjones
Feb 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
Yea I've got a MB Pro I picked up last October or November with the Intel 2.4 and 2gb of ram. PS randomly closes and sometimes doesn't even give an error message. All software is legit, and I've yet to find a solution.

Claytoniss
Feb 14, 2008, 05:55 PM
Nothing big here but I can't seem to hide InDesign....and that actually drives me crazy, I don't want to be using spaces, but we will see.

eclipse
Feb 14, 2008, 11:20 PM
What's all your experience logging bug reports with Adobe? Do they get back to you quickly?

AlfonDesign
Mar 6, 2008, 06:21 AM

Hi!
Have you found the resason why PS CS3 crashes when tying to save?
I have just updated to LEOPARD and every other CS3 soft works great.

Please help

eclipse
Mar 6, 2008, 06:59 AM
Have you ever reported to Adobe?:confused: I don't know what they are like on the customer service front... anyone? Help him! (Then at some stage later in the year I might feel brave enough to upgrade.)

Graphis
Mar 10, 2008, 06:56 PM
Just thought I'd jump in here with my recent experience. I was using CS2/CS3 on a G4 with Tiger: no problems whatsoever, been that way for a couple of years.
Just upgraded to a new MacPro, together with Leopard. Great machine, flies like a dream, and Leopard has many good points, BUT the ONLY problems I've had so far is with the CS3 suite (design premium). Firstly, Photoshop wouldn't start, crashing on opening. Finally found out that it was some non-Adobe plugins that weren't Universal that were causing the problem. Removed them, and Photoshop worked fine. Checked for updates, reinstalled the plugins, only a couple work, the rest started crashing Photoshop again. Damn shame, as they were plugins I was quite fond of too. All I can do is wait and hope an update fixes the problem sometime soon.
My scanning software (TWAIN, from within Photoshop) stopped working, I've had to replace that with something else. That's livable with though. A Postscript font or two went a bit funny, bitmapping. Again, annoying as one was a font I use a lot, haven't got a replacement yet. MyFonts told me their version was playing up in Leopard too.
The biggest single problem I've had is colour management. Across all the CS3 apps, what I see on my screen is not what comes out of my printer. I've tried everything, i'm properly calibrated, the works. All the print dialogue boxes have changed in Leopard, and while previously I was fairly confident I knew what I was doing with colour management, in Photoshop 6 onwards, on MacOS 7 onwards, suddenly i feel I'm on unfamiliar territory again.
I could use a decent manual....

My recomendation would be not to upgrade to Leopard yet, not until Apple and Adobe are truly working in harmony, which, despite their press releases, they really aren't quite doing just yet.

eclipse
Mar 10, 2008, 07:51 PM
That's just scary to a mere design office assistant like myself. Have you reported this to Adobe?

IgnatiusTheKing
Mar 10, 2008, 09:41 PM
Nothing big here but I can't seem to hide InDesign....and that actually drives me crazy, I don't want to be using spaces, but we will see.

That's a known bug. Here (http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-cs3-vs-leopard-status-report.php) is a blog entry about it on a great InDesign site.

eclipse
Mar 11, 2008, 01:59 AM
Just a thought... how does CS2 work in 10.5?

trinity.ilmange
Mar 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
I'm confused. I plan on buying a Mac Book Pro soon but I heard so many different opinions on the OS and the CS3 compatibility. Will it run or not (use PS, Illustrator, Indesign)?

thx for helping

creator2456
Mar 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
I'm confused. I plan on buying a Mac Book Pro soon but I heard so many different opinions on the OS and the CS3 compatibility. Will it run or not (use PS, Illustrator, Indesign)?

thx for helping

Yes, it will run.

There are still a couple minor bugs that pop up now and then, but quitting the app and restarting usually fixes it. Logging off is sometimes required, but I have only had to do it a few times since Leopard.

Now that I think of it, I believe I have had less if not nearly the same amount of CS3 bugging out on me in Leopard as I did in Tiger over the same amount of time.

groovyds
Mar 18, 2008, 03:19 PM

thx for helping

Runs fine for me...been using it for couple of months now

eclipse
Apr 13, 2008, 11:34 PM
Have there been any new patches since the previous complaints, or are you just lucky? :D