PDA

View Full Version : Web server... a Good use for my old G4?

roybfr
Oct 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
I am sure it will be more then up to the task. I have been trying to find something to do with my old DigitalAudio G4 (2x450 originally). It is not worth selling on Ebay, and a friend that I offered it to for free lost interest. So I decided to bring it down to work and use it as a web server test bed. Recently I was tasked with setting up a db /w web forms to interact with a piece of labeling software we use on the shop floor. We run IIS here (flame suit on), but don't have SQL server so I using MySQL since the database will only have ~3000 records in it. I have been doing most of my development at home on my MP, then pushing it to a Vmware virtual server we have running here. I would like to get away from that since we are running 2 other production VM's on that box and at times it gets bogged down. So last night I am in the garage and see the G4 sitting there and a light goes on. It has a PowerLogix dual upgrade in it (1.6 or 1.8 IIRC) at least 1gb of ram and 2 HD's. More then enough to run a nice little MAMP setup.

psingh01
Oct 25, 2007, 11:58 AM
It should do the job just fine.

MikeL
Oct 25, 2007, 03:30 PM
Not that it matters, but you don't have a Digital Audio. DAs had 133mhz system buses. You've got a machine that's older than that.

roybfr
Oct 25, 2007, 07:07 PM
Not that it matters, but you don't have a Digital Audio. DAs had 133mhz system buses. You've got a machine that's older than that.

Your right it is a Gigabit Ethernet, I get all the old names jumbled around some times.

krunk
Oct 25, 2007, 08:11 PM
It'd be perfect as a web server.

disconap
Oct 25, 2007, 10:32 PM
Yup. Web server, internal server, or a slave in a cluster would ultimately be ideal for that machine. Although it will still work amazingly well for many other needs (video compression, CS2, stuff like that, just max out the RAM)...

scottlinux
Oct 26, 2007, 02:58 PM
A good home server. You can put in some hard drives, and have network storage for your home. Put movies, music, whatever on there.

I have an ancient celeron (400Mhz?) running as a home network storage server.