PDA

View Full Version : Before I pronounce my iBook dead... Advice?

Erendiox
Oct 25, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hey all,

I've seen alot of computers die. Some of them were thought to be dead, but then I end up fixing them. I'm that kind of guy, especially with Macs. :) I have to admit though, my iBook died on me last night, and I almost positive there's no ressurecting it. Still though, in the case that one of you on here thinks of something that I don't, I wanted to throw the situation out there. I'm a student in a tight financial spot and paying for a new computer, while it would certainly be leapard-tastic, is not what I have the money for right now.

So here's what happened. I just had backed up my harddrive for the first time in the last 2 months (I know, a damn good stroke of luck there :)). This is my regular routine before updating the software. I had installed the lastest quicktime, iTunes, and OSX version (10.4.10) and restarted. It hung on the shutdown for about 10 minutes before I forced it to shut down by holding down the power button.

When I went to turn it back on, the disk drive made the very distinct noise it always does when i turn on the iBook... and nothing else. No screen. No Harddrive spinnup. Nuthin. I've tried shining a light on the screen in the case of a bad backlight. I've tried hooking up an external monitor. I've tried putting in a cd, which does work, but then nothing else. Holding down the mouse key does nothing to get the CD out, so i'm assuming there's a problem with the logic board since the firmware isn't working.

It's an iBook g4 1.2GHZ. If anybody can think of anything that i'm not, please advise. Otherwise, I'm pronouncing it dead. :p Thanks

FJ218700
Oct 25, 2007, 12:11 PM
try starting holding command-option-p-r

Erendiox
Oct 25, 2007, 03:27 PM
try starting holding command-option-p-r

Tried it. No luck. btw, forgot to mention, no startup chime either. I think it's time to dig the coffin. :(

zerkour
Oct 25, 2007, 07:30 PM
this probably won't work for you since you're getting no startup chime... but it's worth trying: try holding down option+v to boot verbosely. I've had many macs (specifically old iMacs) hang on boot and experience various problems after updating to 10.4.10... booting into verbose mode seems to solve the problem. I really have no idea why it fixes some problems, but it works for me.

4ndr3w
Oct 25, 2007, 07:36 PM
Did you happen to have the computer muted before it died... that would make the startup chime not chime and restore some hope.

Erendiox
Oct 26, 2007, 08:54 AM
:confused: I don't believe this... after 2 days of my iBook displaying all the symptoms of being completely fried, it turned on this morning. I'm posting this from my iBook right now. I'm really afraid to turn it off to run the hardware test CD. Maybe it won't turn back on. :eek: