Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckoning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
So I am a happy newbie owner of a PowerBook G4 12". I have given myself administrator status but every time I log in (as the only user) my preferences are gone and the computer still lists the previous owner as the owner.

How do I completly convince this thing that I am now in control, the new owner, the grand poobah so that it will remember my preferences (itunes library etc).

Thanks,

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sounds like the permissions on that user account are corrupted. You could try re-applying the permissions, but the easiest way if you're new to UNIX is to create a new admin account for yourself in the System Preferences>>Accounts panel (ensure the Allow User to Admininstate text box is selected), then logging out of the old account and into the new. That will give you a completely fresh home folder.

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Hmm lets see.

Wait a day.

Go to Apple Store.

Buy Leopard.

Wipe HDD and install.

Problem Fixed.

Tracer

reckoning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Sounds like the permissions on that user account are corrupted. You could try re-applying the permissions, but the easiest way if you're new to UNIX is to create a new admin account for yourself in the System Preferences>>Accounts panel (ensure the Allow User to Admininstate text box is selected), then logging out of the old account and into the new. That will give you a completely fresh home folder.

Wiping the HD is definitely an option but seems like overkill at this point...

Problem with re-applying persmissions is that I want one user on the computer ie ME rather than be an "Other account" and have multiple home folders. I would like to reset the "My Account" account which I have tried to do but I think all I am doing is renaming it (and I can't seem to rename the "Short Name". Grrrrrr.

Thanks for your helpful replies... :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Don't rename the Home folders or accounts on OSX unless you really want to get your hands dirty. There's all sorts of links in the NetInfo database you'll need to update which isn't for a newcomer.

How about doing my earlier suggestion, moving your data over, then deleting the old admin account whilst logged in as the new one? That way you stay with only one account and get your disk space back :)

reckoning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Don't rename the Home folders or accounts on OSX unless you really want to get your hands dirty. There's all sorts of links in the NetInfo database you'll need to update which isn't for a newcomer.

How about doing my earlier suggestion, moving your data over, then deleting the old admin account whilst logged in as the new one? That way you stay with only one account and get your disk space back :)

I did exactly that. And it worked fine. Thanks for the help.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.