PDA

View Full Version : iPod 20GB repair quote - $160 :(

ps56k
Oct 25, 2007, 03:34 PM
We have a 20GB iPod clickwheel that was not working...
It only had about 4GB worth of stuff on it.

Sent it to iResq for a quote - http://www.iresq.com
they indicated:
bad logic board - $100
bad clickwheel - $60

hmm - so I can get it repaired for $160,
or just get a new Nano 8GB ($199)
maybe even jump up to a 8GB Touch for $299 / 16GB $399

Nuc
Oct 25, 2007, 04:01 PM
If you turn it in to apple I believe you get a discount through their recycling program. 10 percent.

Nuc

QCassidy352
Oct 25, 2007, 04:08 PM
yeah, sadly it's often not worth repairing tech that's even a little old, if not covered by warranty. My brother had an 18 month old ibook and no applecare, and they wanted about $800 to fix it. he got a macbook and sold the usable parts. :rolleyes:

rockthecasbah
Oct 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
Do not waste money upgrading. You can either try to part out the iPod on something like eBay, sell it altogether listing the problems, or worst case scenario recycle it. 10% is not that much, so i'd look at the first two options before you just hand it over to Apple, broken iPods can likely fetch more than the discount you'll get.

Unless you see your library expanding greatly within the next few years, it makes more sense to get one of the 8GB options, either Nano or Touch. I haven't used the Touch, but if you want better video experience and/or internet, I'd say splurge and enjoy. Otherwise, the new Nanos are excellent, petite, and would fit your library size perfectly (not to mention it is relatively inexpensive).

Rizvi1
Jan 26, 2009, 12:26 AM
I have an old 20gb iPod from HP (mp102 I believe) which does nothing anymore. I want to just throw it away, but was wondering if there was anything useful I could/should do with it. if I go the recycling route, I can take it to best buy right?

Michael CM1
Jan 26, 2009, 02:56 AM
We have a 20GB iPod clickwheel that was not working...
It only had about 4GB worth of stuff on it.

Sent it to iResq for a quote - http://www.iresq.com
they indicated:
bad logic board - $100
bad clickwheel - $60

hmm - so I can get it repaired for $160,
or just get a new Nano 8GB ($199)
maybe even jump up to a 8GB Touch for $299 / 16GB $399

You've got your iPod touch prices wrong. 8GB = $229, 16GB = $299, 32GB = $399. If you only use 4GB worth of stuff, get an iPod touch. You'll probably find tons of useful apps to have around and maybe some games to pass time when you need it. The UI is also much better than the click wheel. I HATE the click wheel now after using the UI that a touchscreen offers.

MasterNile
Jan 26, 2009, 03:04 AM
You've got your iPod touch prices wrong. 8GB = $229, 16GB = $299, 32GB = $399. If you only use 4GB worth of stuff, get an iPod touch. You'll probably find tons of useful apps to have around and maybe some games to pass time when you need it. The UI is also much better than the click wheel. I HATE the click wheel now after using the UI that a touchscreen offers.

They've got the prices wrong because that post is from Oct 2007