Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nater.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
I have been asked to look into upgrading the memory on the G5's we use at work. There are 4 of them all of which currently have 3g each but they are all different models.

Not sure exactly what's what...we have been pretty busy lately so getting time to look at someone else's machine takes some planning haha

but 2 of them currently have have 2x 512 and 2x 1g (BUT only have those 4 slots - I think these are dual 1.8's?) PC3200

Another one has 8 slots with 4x 256 and 4x 512's. All PC3200.

The last has a bunch of open slots. Only has 2x 512 and 2x 1g. PC2-4200

So, my question is...

Is it worth it for us to upgrade the memory on all these machines? We are using CS3 now and some things to be slowing up. Also - prices seem all over the place...can older memory be used in the more current machines or does it work the other way?

Thanks a lot!

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You need to know the specs for the machine, as different era G5s used different RAM. System Profiler should give you enough information (all you need to figure it out is the processor and bus speeds).

Also, try RAMseeker when you're looking, I got 2X1gig for my G5 for under $100 through that site. You can also specify your machine before searching there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.