PDA

View Full Version : Apple Expo 2001 in Paris - Cancelled

MacRumors
Sep 17, 2001, 08:42 AM
Brett (mailto:brettbarden@home.com) wrote in with this PRNewswire:
CUPERTINO, Calif., Sep 17, 2001 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Apple(R) (Nasdaq: AAPL) today announced the cancelation of Apple Expo 2001, which was scheduled to take place at the Paris Expo in Porte de Versailles, September 26-30, 2001.

"We're canceling Apple Expo in the wake of last week's devastating and tragic events," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're sorry to disappoint our users and developers, but their safety is our primary concern."

More information about Apple Expo 2001 can be found online at www.apple.com/hotnews

Kela
Sep 17, 2001, 11:30 AM
With all due respect to Steve Jobs concern um....this is very cliche and I dont think that "the safety of apple's users and developers" is Apple's PRIMARY concern. If he doesnt have anything to present at Paris, cant he just say that due to last week events he is postponing the Expo?? It is a very touchy issue to use it is a pretext of failing to meet consumer expectations. VERY BAD APPLE, very bad.

snowman
Sep 18, 2001, 12:15 AM
I think I'll have to agree, he probably thought; Thank God for the destruction of the world trade center, now I don't have to get my face painted with wip-cream.

Originally posted by Kela
With all due respect to Steve Jobs concern um....this is very cliche and I dont think that "the safety of apple's users and developers" is Apple's PRIMARY concern. If he doesnt have anything to present at Paris, cant he just say that due to last week events he is postponing the Expo?? It is a very touchy issue to use it is a pretext of failing to meet consumer expectations. VERY BAD APPLE, very bad.

Gallifrey
Sep 18, 2001, 02:16 PM
yeah it is dissapointing but in France most people who use comptuers are Macs. Now any French terrprist or someone living in France knows thiss.... and knows this expo is happening it cold be a target. HE is lonly looking out for customers. Also do you know how freaking hard it is to get flights now also? How many freaking people do you think would still be able to go? Get over yourselves ppl!!!!!

mymemory
Sep 18, 2001, 07:04 PM
I may be agree that the first impression of the canselation is a bit corny, but.

To make an Apple event means to move a lot of equipment, I mean tons.

Now, I do not think too many people are gonna pay too much attention to the convetion when you have some kind of war like this going on.

Paris is not as big as the US for conventions like that, so, I think they want to get a lot of attention to make the trip worth it and it doen't seems to be the case right now. Else, you got the complications of the traveling under actual circunstances.

I guess the conevtion can be cancelled, beside, nothing really great was in it.

mozez
Sep 18, 2001, 11:41 PM
well, this could go two ways, i think that jobs really didn't have anything to show, he's already shown 10.1, and to show it again is a waste, we just want it already, they have shown previews of the convention, it's all there, so it's not a flight thing where they couldn't get the equipment. would it get attention? well, look at us, we all still pay attention to it even with all the news that's going on, so yea i think it would get the same attention. it's not a target, whoever said that is dumb. this does not attract 1000's of important people which would make some kind of statement if blown apart. it's a computer convention to gain profit and stock sales. not a political convention.

videoartguy
Sep 19, 2001, 06:24 AM
isn't there one other possibility.
isn't it just slightly possible that steve might have cancelled out of....respect and mourning.

i mean, sheesh, yeah it sux there's no convention, but.....
as we've seen by apple's donation, as well as the all the other charaties that steve personally contributes too, and his ex-hippie background......
is it possible, just slightly, that steve cancelled not because he's trying to save his ass, but because after the deaths of 5,000+ people and a homeland terrorist attack, a computer convention just feels sorta.......silly.
???
?

hmm?

i'm not try to be high and mighty here, i'm just trying to make a point and show that THERE are some very legitimate reasons to cancel.

hey, and don't forget, quicktime live is right around the corner.
those announcements and fanfare you wanted in paris could just as easily come a 2 weeks later at quicktime live.