PDA

View Full Version : Need to add an iMac to Linksys 802.11b network

TekilaGold
Sep 7, 2003, 02:47 PM
Hi there,
I currently have wireless network set up to enable 2 win based computers to share a DSL connection. The router I am using is the Linksys BEFW11S4.
I recently purchased an iMac and would like to connect it to the network too. I have read through the threads and it seems to be a relatively simple thing to do.
The piece of info I can't seem to find is what hardware would be best to get for the iMac to accomplish this? Should I get the Linksys WAP11, and if so would the iMac recognize the hardware - or should I get a Mac airport card, and if so, once that's installed how would I get it to find the network?
I'm new both to networks and Macs and would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 7, 2003, 02:52 PM
Does your linksys let you connect ethernet cables to it directly? If so, its just a matter of hooking up the cables and selecting the right config in the system prefs. That way you don't have to go out and get more hardware.

D

TekilaGold
Sep 7, 2003, 03:01 PM
It looks as if I could connect 3 more devices to it (4 in total), but the computer connected to the router is in a diffent room, so it would take quite a bit of cable to connect that way. I think I would still prefer to go the wireless route, but thanks for the idea.

Fender2112
Sep 7, 2003, 04:55 PM
I would get the Airport as my first choice just because it can be installed internally. The LinkSys WUSB11 or simular device would also work. These are wireless adapters that plug into a USB port. The ones I've look at are pretty simple and straight forward to set up.

crazzyeddie
Sep 7, 2003, 05:43 PM
Airport cards are the only internal cards for the iMac, which arent a bad deal. They can be had for as little as $70 from sites like www.otherworldcomputing.com

TekilaGold
Sep 7, 2003, 06:35 PM
Thank you, Fender2112 and crazzyeddie. It sounds like the Airport card is the one. I will try to install one tomorrow.